What does Veeky Forums think of Tojiro Knives?

What does Veeky Forums think of Tojiro Knives?

I see Amazon has this Gyutou for 60$ and a bunch of other knives...

Is it a good buy?

Other urls found in this thread:

metalmaster-ww.com/product-list/5).
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I hate the edge for obvious reasons but the handle I really like.

Mixed bag but not worth $60.

Do you know anything better that has a large set that I could start buying under 100 with the same sort of handle?

Plastic ferrule wa handles trigger me

Also, kurouchi is kind of annoying, I prefer bare metal or 3 layer construction if it doesn't turn it into an axe (which the DP kind of is)

But at this price point it's about figuring out which quirks you can live with

Also inb4
>it's japanese so it's $1500 and hand smelted from pig iron dredged out of a creek somewhere

I have the 9.4" DP gyuto. The edge stays nice and sharp after full prep days, with a few swipes on a rod, and I like the full tang riveted handle. It's been one of my better buys, over the years.

What sort of block would I need to keep these prepped?

I am so glad you asked! A Naniwa Aotoshiâ„¢ Green Block from ChefKnivestoGo.com would keep that knife prepped and ready to work a full day on the line. MSRP $70.00 Our Price: $65.00.

I have a double-sided King whet stone; 1000/6000 grit.

And I use a Messermeister ceramic rod for honing. A steel rod on a knife with harder steels like 'VG-10ish' can ruin an edge.

The shirogami series is one of the most reactive knives out there, the fit and finish sucks, the handle is shit. You can easily do better for $60. Do not buy.
I can't stand sites that put a price in bright colours under a "MSRP" or "original price" like it's a big sale and the consumer is getting a great deal. Instantly avoid them.

I make my own knives.

>You can easily do better for $60.
Any recommendations?

For Western handled the obvious one is the Tojiro DP, but I prefer Fujiwara FKM (stainless) and FKH (carbon) which can be had for $75 and $73 dollars respectively.

For wa-handled check out the cheap Tanaka knives. A store called Metalmaster gets them in batches and sells out then restocks once in a while (metalmaster-ww.com/product-list/5). Unfortunately at $60 you're looking at a 180mm instead of a 210 unless you pay a bit more, but it's much better than Tojiro Shirogami. The only thing that sucks is the long shipping time. A store called 330mate also sells them but only in smaller sizes.

i think you'll be cutting sausages and cheese so you can just buy a knife from walmart

I have a nakiri and I love it; sharp as hell out of the box and easy to handle.

Paid like $60 for it and no complaints.

>tfw you have a kurouchi santoku with a plastic ferrule
I like it

There are dozens and dozens of brands, and most make several versions of nakiris, in various price segments. "I have a nakiri" has zero useful infomation. Nakiri ist just a type of knife, i.e. the shape of the blade.

surprisingly ok thread in modern Veeky Forums

I have a $70 Tojoira with a western handle and I fucking love it

I have a 240mm Tojiro DP sujihiki (slicer)
I like it ok, but 9 times out of 10 I just use my long chef knife, which is what I've probably got out anyway from prepping general veg/meat. It is nice for carving up cooked meat, though. I don't cook much fish, so I suspect its narrower profile would be useful for portioning filets.

Did you know you that an ulu is superior to every other kind of kitchen knife?

>durr he said nakiri so it could be anything
Were you drunk when you posted that? It's safe to assume he means he has a Tojiro nakiri, possibly a Tojiro shirogami nakiri

Especially since he SPECIFICALLY MENTIONED THE PRICE

I was looking for a suitable reaction image and found this, didn't even have to google image search