Study: Kitchen Sponges are Uncleanable

sciencealert.com/you-don-t-want-to-know-how-germ-ridden-your-kitchen-sponge-really-is
>Scientists in Germany have conducted what they say is the world's first comprehensive study of contamination in used kitchen sponges. Researchers led by Furtwangen University ran genetic sequencing on samples from 14 different used kitchen sponges and ended up finding 362 different types of bacteria happily lounging within all that comfortable, springy foam.

>"What surprised us was that five of the ten [types] which we most commonly found, belong to the so-called risk group 2 (RG2)," says lead researcher, microbiologist Markus Egert, "which means they are potential pathogens." These included Acinetobacter johnsonii, Moraxella osloensis, and Chryseobacterium hominis – which the researchers say can lead to infections – plus Acinetobacter pittii and Acinetobacter ursingii. "Sometimes the bacteria achieved a concentration of more than five times 1010 cells per cubic centimetre," says Egert. "Those are concentrations which one would normally only find in faecal samples.

>While we might think that microwaving sponges, dousing them in boiling water, or running them through the dishwasher should sanitise the foam, the team found that regularly cleaned sponges were about as bug-ridden as uncleaned ones – and could even increase the abundance of Moraxella and Chryseobacterium.
"Presumably, resistant bacteria survive the sanitation process and rapidly re–colonise the released niches until reaching a similar abundance as before the treatment," the team writes.

>Okay, so if we can't clean these filthy things, how long should we use them for? One week, the researchers say, before promptly replacing them. Still, a week really isn't very long. After all, when was the last time you replaced yours?
THROW IT OUT, user.

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/science/2017/07/kitchen-sponges-are-festering-germ-dens-and-sanitizing-them-doesnt-help/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

So microwaving them, then bleaching them won't clean them?

I doubt that

ew germs icky!

>t.sponge lobbyist scientist Jew shills trying to make us buy more sponges

Fuck off

They make me stronger. I use sponges for 3 months on average.

Nope, the porous cavities within the layered fabric allow trace hardy bacteria persist through hostile environments and then bounce back to full population levels afterward. They used bacteria-staining and computer models to show this effect.

>Taking top and bottom samples from 14 household sponges used in Germany, the researchers extracted genetic material to sequence and identify microbial inhabitants. They also used a method to tag active, breeding microbes with fluorescent markers and visualize them in the sponge material using 3D confocal laser-scanning microscopy.
arstechnica.com/science/2017/07/kitchen-sponges-are-festering-germ-dens-and-sanitizing-them-doesnt-help/

jokes on you, i only use wash cloths

I've always thrown mine out after like 1-2 uses, thought this shit was common sense

Sponges are pretty sub-optimal as dishwashing tools, bacteria or no bacteria. A simple scrubbing pad and steel wool are all you need.

microwaving on 2 minutes is fine. obviously make sure to get it nice and wet first. The vast majority of bugs like e coli are going to die. If your super paranoid just submerse it in a diluted bleach solution for a while. also
>Chryseobacterium hominis
>Acinetobacter pittii
>Moraxella osloensis
These are the stupidest fucking bugs to use to test something like this. The chance of a the average person encountering these, on their sponge of all fucking places, is ridiculously small. This is just fear mongering garbage

How many sponges do you go though? I use my sponge more than twice every day.

Germaphobes rejoice your aregments are stronger than before still you are all wierd fuckers who really aren't with it that part hasn't changed

Resistence to bacteria is something the body does all by itself, the body has good germs all over

like 1 per week.... I let dishes soak in hot ass water before cleaning, only use the sponge for tough scrubbing and wash clothes will do a decent job. I do my counter tops with paper towels

Okay. Calm Down.
Thiere is the source article not op's opinion of the story, this source article is only an abstract. They want funding, trying to claim their approach is novel. This isn't a peer reviewed double blind or controlled study. at all. This abstract makes no mention of how the sponges were used, handled or cleaned. They are simply "used" and then they seal em up and grow cultures, ie kept them soaking wet and fed the bacteria and viruses. Do you leave your sponges in the bottom of a wet sink drain? That is the equivalent. Do you use a sponge that is smelly and sticky? Not if your training taught you to let it air dry. Air drying is what is supposed to happen even to hand washed dishes. It is not a skippable step. Also, no mention of bleach water, which conceivably would be in your dishwasher detergent, if you didn't shop at the dollar store.

They did not use the sponges in OP's picture, a cellulose sponge which is known to be better, but the kind that isn't going to dry between use because it's some weird plastic foam, and then they bought that kind with the green scrubber that holds the water and bacteria down into the core that is glued to the cheap side? Oh hell ya, they picked that sponge design on purpose.

This article makes a point about washing your hands after handling a sponge, so that you don't cross-contaminate faucets, knives, and food prep or clean items.
It also goes to show you that people are missing critical thinking when they hear "scientists" and not understand this is a flawed pilot study that is applicable to no valid conclusions. Durr. Sponges get dirty if you leave food and moisture in it, don't wash your hands after touching your ass, etc. They are petri dishes. Durr.

>t. sponge corporation executive

Or just buy a new fucking sponge theyre like 2 bucks for a pack of 10.
Do you havea special relationship with your sponge?
Do you hold it tight at night? Do you kiss it so right?

>implying sponge corporations don't want you to keep throwing out sponges and buying new ones

VERY GOOD GOY

Microwaving for 3 minutes seem to do the job well. Can't remember the last time my sponges had a vile stench.

>2017
>using a sponge
Are sponges a meme?

that's wasteful. just use a dish rag soaked in dish soap and old lemons. then wash the rag like you would normally with your laundry.

...Umm...

wow, they collected samples from 14 whole sponges!

amazing data

>cleaning kitchenware
I just lick my plate

That which does not kill you

My mom uses kitchen sponges for months. Her kitchen looks clean, but I know it's a microbial cesspit. All the food in her house molds within 3 days, and any leftovers I take home start rotting in 2 or less. The exact same food bought at the same time either takes 2 weeks to mold or never does in my kitchen. I use cloth and paper towels.

YES
keep avoiding germs and weakening your immune system so you'll get really sick every season and be forced to buy over the counter drugs to mask the illness but never cure it

hehe

i hate these things. they wear out after only a few uses. i prefer the stainless steel pads. the one with steel weaves. those things last forever.

these?

Being exposed to dirty sponges won't stop you from getting sick when someone sneezes on you. Having a good diet and hygiene (regularly washing your hands, not touching your mouth/eyes a lot) will keep you healthier than using a dirty sponge will.

no these. scotch brite sells them. forgot what they're called. i don't keep it immersed in water and it's kept it's scouring power for months (the material doesn't wear out or fray like normal cheap green steel wool or fuzzy steel wool pads)

Advanced sponges.

Those works pretty well but they're hard to keep clean. I had to scrub a bit of egg that was stuck to a pan off with one and even though the sponge was new I had to throw it away because the egg wouldn't come off of it.

never had that problem. food always comes off and no nooks/crannies (giant gaping holes) like for bits of food matter to get lost in. simply bending the pad to scrape against itself is enough to dislodge anything that gets on it.

Unfortunately, this.

I use a sponge for at most one month. Less if it looks ugly as fuck already.

>1 week then throw it out
>study funded by 3m
I nuke it every week and throw it every time the scrubbing part loses its efficacy, which is usually after month
PS I usually only cook once a day
>tfw cutting

Kek