How does Veeky Forums do their chili?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9NbBoQ-R_0s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Chili today,
Hot Tamale!
hahahahahahahahaha

How you gonna do me dirty like that and nerf the thread baby

Very lazily. Brown ground beef in a pan. Sautee onions & bell pepper, then garlic. Add seasonings (salt, black pepper, chili powder, cayenne, cumin). Add equal amounts diced tomatoes and beans (preferably kidney or pinto). Simmer for a few hours. Top with sour cream and shredded cheese. Cornbread makes a nice addition.

>cornbread
>not fritos

Meat
-Multiple kinds
-Cheaper cuts preffered

Peppers
-Several bell peppers, roasted
-Use a bunch of different kinds
-Dried, fresh, pickled, canned, hot, mild, all of it is good.

Other Veggies
-onion, tomatillo, garlic, carrot, anything you want
-cut small and thin
-will break down over long cook time

Spices
-get creative

Liquids
-Beer, anything dark and flavorful
-Maybe some stock or something

1) brown meat
2) roast peppers and wash off charred skin
3) chop up veggies into chunks large or small
4) add all to pot and cook for 8 hours or so

Okay recipe is from my Michigander working-class dad so yes there's beans in it -- gotta stretch the meat out a little and it's gotta be comfy.

>Brown ground beef, I've had good luck with 85/15
>add onions, garlic and either Anaheim or poblano peppers depending on how spicy you want it
>Add chili powder (1.5-2 tbsp per pound of beef), cayenne, cumin, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper
>Equal parts red + dark red kidney beans + any other beans around, black beans and cannellini beans work well
>diced tomatoes
>add a little honey and brown sugar for sweetness
>use a good stock as liquid, homemade if possible. Reduce to desired consistency - add tomato paste if too thin

>Top with oyster crackers or cornbread. Now for cornbread -- Jiffy, but throw a can of creamed corn in with the mix so that the texture is bearable. Also substitute heavy cream for the milk.

Grill a thick slab of ground beef and a thick slab of ground turkey. The outside will be seared, the inside raw. Once seared, move it to a pot. This gives your chili the nice taste of barbecue. Pan seared just ain't the same.

Anyway that's my secret. My other chili ingredients are fairly standard--stewed and whole tomatoes, chopped onions, cumin, cayenne, black pepper, bell pepper, salt, black beans, lemon juice, and garlic.

I like mine mild. Mine is your typical chili recipe. I add cheese and crackers to it after

About a kilo of beef, ground or pieces of chuck cut in to chunks
500ml beef stock
1 can crushed/diced/whatever tomato's, you can also use fresh if you can be fucked
1 or 2 onions
capsicum
fresh garlic or powdered garlic, I prefer fresh
fresh chillis if you want
smoked paprika
cumin
cayenne powder
thyme
oregano
salt
pepper

Fry up the beef and put it aside for later

Fry the onions, garlic (if fresh) and capsicum with the cayenne chilli powder, when the onions have gone translucent add the can of tomato's, cook for a few minutes and then add beef stock, the spices and the beef back in to it.

Cook for a good few hours or until the beef is nice and tender and the sauce is thick enough for you, it's a good idea to stir it occasionally and taste it every once in a while so you know whether to add more shit or not.

My gramma does it and it's GOAT

>general

Basides the "base" ingredients
Red, black, pinto and baked beans, tin of corns, spoon of honey, dash of cinnamon, quart of sourcream and whatever meat needs to get used.

What are your opinions on potatoes in chili?

>in
bad
>under
good

It's a perfectly good vehicle for chili, but shouldn't be IN the chili.

Never tried it before, I'd imagine it makes it more of a spicy goulash than a chilli, not necessarily bad though. (then again ghoulash is what cowboys cilli evolved from.)

2 lbs. lean ground beef
8 oz. tomato sauce
16 oz. water
medium onion, chopped
1 pkg. Wick Fowler's 2 Alarm Chili Kit

Brown the beef and leave in mostly large chunks, add onion and cook until translucent, drain fat, add water, tomato sauce, and chili kit.

It's the best chili I've ever had and I've dried dozens of recipes and other people's chili. None of them come even close.

>>water
>>shitty powder mix

Sounds awful bro

shows what you know

I know quite a bit about chili, actually.

The first rule is you need a lot of peppers. Remember the name is "chili con carne"--"chilies with meat". The chili peppers themselves are the base of the dish. You need more than just some shitty packet of flavorless dust.

Let's do a cookalong, shall we? First we need our peppers. Clockwise from top left: Anaheim, Guajillo, Arbol, Ancho, jalapenos, and habaneros.

Get rid of the stems from these peppers. Leave the green ones aside for now.

Dry peppers go in the blender jar. Add some beer. Why not water? Because water tastes of nothing. We want to add flavor, not dilute it.

Tomato juice, beef stock/broth, etc, are also good choices.

Let the dry peppers soak. Meanwhile, fire up your grill and break out the beef. Sirloin here. Season it.

Get a good sear on the meat. Don't worry about cooking it through.

At the same time get the peppers on there and char the skins.

When you're done you should have something like this.

you're still wrong

Add the green peppers to the blender with the dried ones.

Will it blend? Of course! If you like big chunks of peppers in your chili then just pulse it. If you want finer pieces then puree it.

Let's get back to that meat. Cut it up.

That steak is done user you seared too long

Another rule of chili: the more meats the merrier. Here we have bison, pork, and venison.

who put all that salt into your posts?

Here's the rest of our stuff. More beer, some vegetable juice, and a bunch of white onions all chopped up.

fagboy is just mad that he got called out on his packet chili

different anons.

I still think that steak is already too seared

>complains about chili kit
>uses V8
k

Brown off the ground meat in the bottom of your pot. The flash is making the meat look very light in color here, but it should be good and browned. Not grey, you want it well-browned. Browning = malliard reaction = flavor.

The problem with the chili kit is what it's replacing. It's discarding whole and fresh peppers and replaces them with flavorless pre-ground dust.

OTOH, let's look at the V8. It's replacing flavorless water with veggies that go well with chili.

See the difference?

Anyway, when the meat is browned, get your onions in there. The onions will deglaze the pot as they cook. Remember the flash is making this look very light in color. You want the meat well browned.

That "flavorless pre-ground dust" is better than whatever this is you're cooking (hint: it's not chili). What a waste of time you've got there...

When the onions are translucent then everything else goes in the pot. You will see some dry spices here--that's smoked spanish paprika on the left and fresh ground cumin on the right.

Normally I wouldn't use the paprika, but I didn't have any chipotle peppers on hand so I'm subbing the paprika for that smoky taste.

Now it's time for long, slow, simmering.

Not him, but you sir, are culinary retarded.

Here we are at about hour 4. Still not done yet. Low and slow.

Nah, it's pretty bland. I used it for years before I knew better. Throw that shit out and get some actual peppers.

Tasted it at about 5.5 hours, perfect!

looking good

All you've proven is that you'll spend more time and money making an inferior product. It's stupid, really.

might want to cut back on the sodium in your diet, all that preground shit probably has tons of it in it judging by your posts.

hurr durr salty meme

id say that he-she-it proved they know how to makke a much better chili than your packetass ''''''''recipe''''''''

Where are thos beans?

i make chili for myself every day... takes about 30 minutes (that includes cooling time) you guys are amateurs.

I use sweet paprika and Cayenne pepper, none of those weird Mexican peppers. I can't stand fresh chili peppers, so I don't use them. I use green bell peppers instead. The only other seasonings I use are minced garlic, fresh parsley, coriander leaves, Mexican oregano, and cumin.
Obviously, I also use ground beef, canned tomatoes, and onions, but nothing else. No weird Indian spices or anything of that sort. Sometimes I use chicken stock, sometimes I use beef stock.

On the run

best chili prove me wrong

Without beans and real, instead of ground meat.

Every time I cook chili it tastes 7/10 at best.

When I open a can of chili it tastes 8.5/10.

Canned chili is also cheaper and more convenient since you aren't left with a huge pot of it.

Beanfags ruined chili on Veeky Forums

pan, nice and hot...

Home made fire roasted tomato sauce. Tomatoes garlic chilis paprika sautéed onions with cilantro. All in varying amounts for personal taste, mood or company.

I mostly take from my grandma's recipe, but I do get creative from time to time

>ground beef
>kidney beans
>for each can of beans add a can of water
Makes it like a soup
>tomato sauce
Grandma knew I hated tomatoes. Bitch tricked me
>onions
>green peppers
>cayenne pepper
>black pepper
>garlic

Really basic recipe. Don't know if it's they way it's cooked, or the skill it's cooked with... But people won't stop asking for me and we both got begged from the recipe when we shared the chilli.

93/7 beef. Cook it in pan and get ride of grease
Everything else, toss in the pot.
Black and cayenne pepper to taste/spice.
Slow cook for about 6 hours.

Not lying about the asking for more thing. My grandma once made it when we went camping. About 10 people were there. She cooked it in one of those old bath pans(metal, about 3 feet in diameter and a foot deep) gone in less than an hour.

Sometimes I add corn, ghost peppers, celery, or change beef to deer burger. Depends on how I'm feeling. Honestly never had a better chilli

Wouldn't mind some ideas on how to mix it up, it's awesome but I love to experiment.

Oh, and of course the chilli powder

youtube.com/watch?v=9NbBoQ-R_0s
Gonna make this tomorrow. Will it still be edible if i skip the corn meal and coco powder?

forgot to mention that I've literally never made chili before.

Ive got to make chili for a bunch of people here soon, any recipes or techniques i should look into?

What's their heat tolerance? That's the most important thing. I have passable tolerance for heat, so I use about half-a-dozen fresh jalapenos with seeds, plus a few habaneros and serranos in mine.

You can just slice up some jalapenos and offer them as a topping as the safest bet, but for the best heat you want to cook them in the chili so all the capsaicin oils are mixing around in the stew and you get that hotness in every bite.

For really fucking good chili, you want to use a couple different meats. Smoked brisket is GOAT, bison, venison, are excellent, you can't go wrong with some bacon or a pork sausage like chorizo or andouille in there too.

i see and Anaheim guajillos habeneros and jalapenos what is to the right middle and right bottom ?
i really love dried peppers for sauces and chilis

i am a fucking retard who doesn't read sorry, nice chilies by the way

Top round in chunks
Hot pork sausage
One large onion
Green peppers
poblano peppers
Jalapenos
One can crushed tomatoes
One can tomato paste
Garlic
Salt
Pepper
Ground chilies
Various other spices I don't feel like typing out
Mix every thing (except spices and tomatoes) together in a large bowl and let sit in the fridge over night
Par-cook every thing in small batches on a pan. Put some color on that meat.
Dump everything into a Crock-Pot and cook on low for 8+ hours.
One hour before you're ready to eat at the spices and make corn bread

WA LA!

Onions, green bell peppers (I know some of you fuckers like to use red/yellow/orange bell peppers, which is why I'm specifying for green ones), garlic, ground beef/turkey/chicken/lentils, cumin, oregano, paprika, Cayenne pepper, canned tomatoes. beef/chicken stock, a mixture of beans (pref. black and red).
I know it's flyover and not authentic at all, but I don't really care. I just eat it along with some rice, not tortilla chips, like you people do. I don't even like chili made with chuck steak or weird Mexican chili peppers.

Crock pots are shit. You can't sautée stuff with them. You can't reduce sauces. You can't do anything other than making flavorless goop.

Crock pots are great for simmering and slow cooking at low temps, great for chilies tough meats and stews, he states he browns,crusts,caramelizes the meat fore and. were are the flaws in that

That is the lamest fucking chili I've ever heard of. That chili is more pleb-tier than my Ortega taco kits. If that chili was a penis, it would be so tiny, limp and flaccid that a smurf could jump rope with it.

Fucking hell user, at least acquire a taste for seedless jalapenos.

>putting chili over rice
What is wrong with you? Rice just has all the wrong texture for chili. It's gotta be crackers, tortilla chips, or cornbread.

>Putting chicken in chili
>Not making white chili
You go to hell. You go to hell and you die user, and take your limp-wristed tomato-meat soup with you.

add ground beef
add spaghetti sauce
add can of beans
add chili seasoning packet

viola, serve with a side of wonderbread

i don't even care if beans are or aren't in a chili, i just put them in to piss off hicks at this point

I'm with you user. Try throwing some corn in there too. It adds some pleasing color, plus more fiber in your diet.

If I wanted to make some sort of rogan josh/beef curry, I'd make that.
Besides, it's pretty fucking similar to Mexican food as it is. It has onions, peppers (bell peppers in this case, as opposed to chili peppers), and tomatoes. It also has cumin, oregano, and paprika, which are three of the most commonly used spices in Latin American cuisine.
Besides, eating beans cooked with meat has been part of Iberian cultue ever since Roman times.
Eating rice and chili together just makes sense from a cultural and historical perspective. Anything that does not normally get wrapped between a tortilla, served with tortilla chips, or stuffed into a maize dumpling (a tamal or "tamale") is normally served with rice in Mexico, as well as neighboring countries. They eat chicken with rice, beans with rice, steak with rice, stewed pork with rice, fish with rice, etc. They're no different from Indian or Japanese people in that respect.
The only reason why I don't put guajillo and pasilla chili peppers into chili is because I don't really think of it as some sort of authentic Mexican dish, because I know it's not. If I wanted to make carnitas, or barbacoa, or cochinita pibil, or something like that, I'd make that, instead of chili.
Just because it has the word "chili" in its name, it doesn't mean it needs to taste only like meat and chili peppers.

>all this asspain
we should have chili threads more often

>I ruin my food to piss off people I'll never even meet

you do you, you crazy diamond

A lot of us hicks put beans in chili, it's just the uppity texas hicks that don't.

>Europeans
>chili
Real White people don't eat spicy shit.
Only Americans do. But you are all mongrels.

I put oxtail and short ribs into mine. All that bony goodness and gelatinous thickness is what a chili needs.

Lots and lots of fresh peppers and dried peppers, everything from scotch bonnets to habaneros and hatches, pureed with the juice from chipotles in adobo and stock, cinnamon, star anise and grated dark chocolate, slowly simmered in the oven with the lid half off, with el yucateco hot sauce added at the end. Cornbread dumplings cooked in the sauce for the last 45 minutes of simmering.

charred skin on the peppers is the best part my man

>not deglazing the pot too

philistine

It takes you half an hour to heat up a can of Hormel? Bush league, son.

>Canned chili is also cheaper and more convenient since you aren't left with a huge pot of it.
Well no shit genius, if you're throwing away half of what you made. The whole point of soups and stews is to eat for a day or two and freeze the rest for later.

I have eight servings of beef-vegetable in my freezer right now, I'll be making a pot of chili tonight, and by the end of the week I'll have the beef vegetable, chili, navy bean & ham, and red beans & rice with andouille portioned out and ready to thaw out for a meal.

What are your guys' thoughts on turkey vegetable chili?

Some of us are health conscious.

Use ground chicken instead. Cook it in a pan with teaspoon of oil and soy/Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.

Make sure to cover so fluids collect, and add in some mushrooms to sautee with the meat.

Add to chili once the mushrooms are cooked.

Any reason for chicken over turkey? They're both fairly lean, but turkey is much more lean that chicken.

because you want a little bit less lean to add flavor to the chili.

Is there any kind of consensus on what beans are best in chili?

Yes: none

NO BEANS NOT CHILI

I made chili once and it was good

Just wait till he boils it for 5+ hours. Because it's chili.

>"you're not deglazing a stew"
?