-1tsp white pepper
-1tsp black pepper
-1tsp oregano
-1tsp thyme
-salt to taste

Other...
-approx 2 quarts of home made chicken stock

Who's in?

Skinned the chicken legs and separated the leg from the thighs. Dusted liberally with some of the Cajun seasoning and allowed to rest in the fridge for about a half hour. Chopped up the andoille.

Veggies and Cajun seasoning mix.

im following

The roux ratio is about 1 to 1 fat to flour, but it doesn't have to be exact. You can use more or less roux depending on your personal taste, but for this amount of veg and protein, 1 cup of flour to 1 cup of oil should be about right.

I'm using olive oil for the fat, but you can use any other oil, or even lard, but I wouldn't use butter as that has a very distinct flavor that doesn't really go along with a more traditional gumbo.

I'm adding seasoning to the flour, and a pinch of salt, to make the roux as flavorful as possible, along the lines of Chef Prudhomme.

Welcome aboard, user.

Some recipes call for making the roux first, and then adding everything after, however, I prefer to brown the proteins first, as it adds more flavor and creates an opportunity to use the rendered fats and fonds to flavor the other ingredients.

I'm going to use just enough of the roux oil to keep the andoille from sticking to the bottom of the pan, and from there I should be able to use the rendered fats from the andoille to brown the rest.

Adding some color, building some fond and rendering some fat. The chicken will be browned in this next.

Chicken thighs go in.

reminds me of cooking in russia

continue pls

Just cooking long enough to get some color, but they'll finish in the simmer.

Now for the legs.

By browning the proteins first, I get some nice fond and rendered fats that will be used to make the roux more flavorful than it would be with just oil and flour alone.

To start the roux, you simply add the oil, and then slowly mix in the flour, being careful not to burn it in the process. You can see how the seasoning I added has already added some color. You don't need to be afraid of using some heat to speed up the process, as long as you stay right on top of it and keep stirring it so it doesn't burn, and I tend to go with a medium / medium high heat. If it does burn, you've got start all over, as your roux and gumbo will taste like burnt toast.

I think a metal whisk is the best tool to keep the roux moving, and when I start this process, I monitor and stir it until it's done, never leaving the pot.

The flour will start to bubble, then settle down, and it will slowly darken as you stir it, and it will thicken a bit as well, depending on the amount of oil you use. If you need to, you can add oil or flour to thin or thicken it as needed.

awhhh dat color

Thickening up, and getting some color.

I just took a shit

Almost there.

When the roux gets to the point that it looks like dark chocolate or a dark red brick, it's pretty much done.

When the roux is almost dark enough, you can turn down the heat, and when you add your veggies, it'll help stop the cooking process.

The roux will get a shade darker before the veggies cool them down, as you can see in this pic. Notice how dark the roux is compared to the veggies. That's the color you want to end up with for max flavor in your gumbo.

You can see here how the veggies transfer their moisture to the roux. Now it's time to add the garlic and habaneros and sweat them down.

Once the garlic and habs have been sweated, it's time to add the proteins, and then top it up with some chicken stock for the simmer.

In goes the stock, and after a good mix, it's time to simmer.

Bring it to a boil, and then skim off some of the excess fats that bubble up to the surface.

After it comes to a boil, you can turn it down and let it simmer for at least an hour, but you can leave it on for pretty much as long as you want. Regardless, check for seasoning, and add spice and salt to taste.

About a half hour or so before you stop your simmer, add about a cup, or a half cup of chopped parsley.

Gumbo is always better the next day, so if you're going to make it, you should make it the day before, and then heat it up to serve for the next day.

You can serve it with or without rice, and it's also great with either cornbread or garlic bread. I like to garnish with some fresh green onion, as in pic related, and sometimes will add a little file, but always to the bowl and never to the pot as a whole.

Give it a shot.

bravo and thank you

good thread

you lose a point for no shrimp or crab meat, but good oc op. thx.

>no shrimp

I always manage to show up at the market when the seafood section is closed in the evenings, and that's the only place I can get decent shrimp. All the frozen stuff looks like ass. Maybe I'll find some and do a shrimp etoufee somewhere down the road.

Thanks regardless, anons.

Will it taste the same if I substitute chicken legs with human feet?