/Japanese Food/

Other than /sushi/ or /sashimi/, what is the true Japanese food experience?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unadon
youtu.be/sAdy-y9XBqQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Anko & Mochi

Kobe beef

YAKINIKU

>byproducts on a stick

/donburi/
/nabemono/
/onigiri/
/karaage/
/noooooodles/

I miss those food pics from japan threads.

soba

Ramen, okamanyaki, yakisoba, omurice, tempura, katsu.

Gonna head to Japan Town tomorrow. What are some cool foods to try that aren't just Ramen, sushi, or matcha flavored candies?

Yakotari

Thank you this is helpful

Tonkatsu

For those that don't want to google

>shit cooked over rice
>one pot meals (cook raw ingredients at your table in hot broth)
>sticky rice balls with filling
>fried chicken
>noodles

>noodle soup
>savory pancake with toppings
>buckwheat noodles
>omlette on rice
>lightly battered fried stuff
>breaded and deep fried chicken

>chicken on a stick

>breaded deep fried pork

Any good baked goods to try?

Senpai's Cream pie

Man why is Japanese food so boring? It's just shit borrowed form other cultures.

Japanese food is about delicate, natural flavors that are fresh, appropriate, and balanced.
Have you ever eaten the same thing every day for months on end? You start noticing slight variations and subtle things become more intense. Japanese love conformity and routine, so eating the same thing all the time could create boring food.

>Japanese love conformity and routine
You clearly have never been to Japan or you wouldn't be spouting this stereotypical bullshit.
Weeb.

Source on this manga?

Beef Bowl or Eel Rice was actually considered a commoner food, especially eel when the eel population was vastly larger in the past.

Also, I guess fermented stuff like miso.

Japanese Eel Rice

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unadon

don't worry user, I get your joke

Is this NTR? The look on the guys face is weird.

This. Japs love gimmicky stuff and new stuff.

What joke?

Sounds fucking amazing

It's NTR.

This is now a Veeky Forums manga thread.

>true japanese expirience
>beef
Japan only started using meat for the sake or from the influence of the west, a real Japanese food experience would be vegetarian or involve seafood. In fact, when a Korean guy tried to introduce McDonalds to Japan, tons of people laughed at him for thinking enough Japanese people would eat beef (though obviously he was proven right).

Japan is like if the USA wasn't racially diverse, a culture of other culture's stuff that's effectively Japanized.

Chinese, yoshoku, Chinese, yoshoku, yoshoku, yoshoku.

I love me some yoshoku, and to be fair I think it's more honest to the modern Japanese spirit and know it's more honest to the modern Japanese lifestyle than whatever high-yamatodamashii culturally-encoded autism op thinks he's ending up with, but it's like answering "what's the true German food experience?" with "a currywurst washed down with a pilsner".

So American Cuisine doesn't exist at all.

NO ONE SAID YAKITORI REEEE I WIN!!!

AND TAKOYAKI

BUT POOR OCTOPI

I'd say it doesn't, but for other reasons (collection of regional cuisines like China has; there's no American just New England, Soul, Cajun, Tex-Mex, etc. just like there's no Chinese just Canto, Szechuan, Shandong, etc.)

More to the point, though, if you do think there's an American cuisine would you include General Tso's in it? Half the items on that list were introduced into Japan within living human memory.

American food exists, American cuisine does not.

Oden?

>Ramen
>Soba
>This brown curry
>This weird squishy omelette with ketchup (lol)
>Miso soup

Those are the generic ones

kamameshi is great

Dragonball by Akira Toriyama

This needs a translator

Honestly nothing wrong with that. Cook the sausages first, by baking or grilling, then add them to the beans and tomato.

Underrated answer

eating a kureepu as a schoolgirl

Curry and tonkatsu

>homo pancake
I don't know where you get your food from but that ain't Japanese

Crepe? Why would French food be considered Jap food? Stinky moron

Japanese cook French food better than the French

In her story line you blow up your school with your secret agent knowledge.

Cotton cheesecake, castella (honey cake)

Confirmed American weeb.
Come to Japan, why would you just assume shit like that lol

link raws

Melon-pan from your local kombini.

>reducing it that far
Jesus. Do you not like Japan or something?

Udon

Not him, but I think it's good to pierce the weird Orientalism people have going. When people are in this thread mostly posting foods that the Japanese themselves don't think are Japanese, it's good to have a counterbalancing reminder.

>Orientalism
What century are you living in?

Racist.

California has far better sushi places than Japan, this is a fact

without any evidence to back this up it's just an opinion though

Its called yakitori

Okay but what about [spoiler]eating a schoolgirl?[/spoiler]

youtu.be/sAdy-y9XBqQ

Overrated

Man, I wish a beef bowl chain other than Yoshinoya would come to my city. They've stopped free flow condiments and keep focusing on bringing out crappy new menu items that aren't beef and rice.

>konbini melon pan
>not onigiri and oden

Soba
Japanese curry
Okonomiyaki
Yakisoba
Nikuyaka
Oden
Somen
Udon

Whenever I make rice I always cook triple so I can make ochazuke later. Its easy and quick to make while being both light and good energy, perfect for lunch. Its basically rice with toppings and then hot green tea poured over it. I usually use genmaicha but feel free to use any green tea you want.

My usual is
>bowl of leftover rice
>nori (seaweed)
>sesame seeds
>green onion
>umeboshi (pickled plums)
>green tea
>little bit of fish sauce

But you can use whatever toppings or additional flavorings you want.

>Netoraserare

Japan loves food. There's a ton to try. Anyone who tells you some Japanese food isn't as authentic because it's more recent or has a western influence is an idiot.

I just had oyakodon at the restaurant that invented it in 1891. It was amazing. It isn't as old as tons of other food, but who gives a shit?

It's hilarious that weebs like this would actually get butt hurt about somebody providing translations
>d-don't describe it like that! Make it sound cooler!!

When Japan thinks a food isn't Japanese, isn't that a very good reason not to call it Japanese food?

Not exactly. They think anything with Western influence automatically isn't Japanese.

Technically it is fusion I guess, but if it isn't eaten anywhere else what would you call it?

To someone who isn't Japanese, omurice or hayashi rice are uniquely Japanese foods. To the Japanese, they are western foods, not even really considered fusion foods. But we aren't Japanese, so we don't look at their food the same way as they do.

Ramen is often referred to as Chinese, though that may specifically be referencing the origin of the noodles rather than the whole dish.

Every culture is copying every other cultures food, especially in our increasingly connected society. Obviously you have to draw some distinctions about the origination of a food, but people who are concerned more about 'authenticity' than taste are too far up their own asses.

Into the suicide fuel folder it goes.....

Alright... preparing to get laughed at

What dishes would work well Keto?

Obviously a lot of their food is based around rice but...

Fish based dishes where rice isn't essential, like sashimi.

Hotpot like shabushabu. Probably sukiyaki too, I assume the broth would be fine.

Pepper Lunch has dishes that are just meat and vegetables, so you can decline the rice. Though I assume that isn't what you mean when you ask for Japanese food.

Rolled omelets.

You might be able to get away with okonomiyaki, if they don't use much batter.

Yakiniku and yakitori are just meat.

I assume stuff like tonkatsu and tempura would have too much breading for keto.

Bullets are zero carbs.

some people say the ultimate japanese food is katsudon ramen (lots of pork on top of the noodles)

Obviously it depends on the place , a friend said he went looking for the best ramen ,expensive places where it wasn't that good.
Then on the last 2 days he was there , he went to some shitty place know by no one . And eated the best katsudon ever send me a picture while eating it was just so good looking made me salivate for 10 minutes

You probably mean tonkotsu ramen.

Katsudon is a rice bowl dish with fried pork cutlet and egg.

It's the same relationship American Pizza has with Italy, burritos have with Mexico, and crab sushi has with Japan.
No one who isn't an uncultured swine would unironically call those things anything but American, but it's close enough to their original culture that we do it anyway.

This, wtf