My burgers always come out tasting like shit. Why?

My burgers always come out tasting like shit. Why?

Other urls found in this thread:

foodnetwork.com/shows/good-eats/episodes/daily-grind).
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Stop pooping in them, pajeet

Not like literal shit. They always too greasy, always under cooked or over cooked and my cheese is never melted. Also I never put enough ketchup or I put too much.

put MSG in them

What method of cooking are you using? How long are you cooking for? At what temperature?

My first thought is that you should lower your heat.

Season entire batch of beef before cooking. Make sure you get a good sear. Put your cheese on while the burgers are finishing in the pan. Toast your buns. Add grilled onions.

ketchup + mayo + mustard. mix together. spread on both buns

Stop following Jack's recipes.

The problem is when I have it on high heat to get a good sear I end up burning it and when I do medium heat I don't get a good sear, usually it's undercooked and it absorbs all the grease making it nasty.

I try cooking each side for like 3 minutes.

your shit is too thick, make thinner burgers

Tip for most meats. Throw the meat on a high heat skillet, then back it down to medium about ten seconds after.

Throw em on a grill. Nothing beats the taste of a good open flame.

your patties are too thick. divide it into two patties instead of one thick one. that way it won't be dry on the outside and mushy on the inside

Watch the Good Eats episode on burgers (foodnetwork.com/shows/good-eats/episodes/daily-grind). Then build up from that. There are so many things that you are probably doing wrong without even realizing that they might be a problem.

Are you using a relatively fatty grind? You should be. That 90/10 may be healthy, but doesn't taste very good. Also, salt and pepper liberally.

Use good beef, at least 15% fat, ideally 20%.
Thinner patty.
Season liberally with black pepper with kosher/sea salt.
High heat. Flip when the juices start rising through to the top.
Top with cheese and cover with a steel bowl/tented piece of foil for the last minute of cooking to get it nice and melted.

This

Thick burgers are a restaurant meme
>loogit all da meet yuo get!!
Meanwhile the center is pink mooshy pulp. Disgusting. Make thin patties, about the thickness of a finger

cook them just until the juice runs clear. and don't smash them down with the spatula

How can you even cook ground beedf greasy?

Because you need to step up your game.

Charcoal grill if you can, put the coals on one side of the charcoal area so you can start your burgers out over high heat and then retreat to the somewhat cooler side in a few minutes.

Gently form the patties and make a big dimple in the middle. Seems to cut down on shrinkage.

Other anons have mentioned using 20% fat ground beef, that's good advice. It'll render out. Fat means flavor.

And 1/4 lb per 1 lb of ground lamb to your ground beef.

Put a lettuce leaf on the bottom bun or spread it with mayonnaise to keep it from getting soaked.

Use a probe instant read thermometer (like the Terma Pen thermoworks.com) to check the internal temperature if you really want to dial it in.

Hang in there.

>salt and pepper liberally
This. You must scream about salt privilege and give it less space on the patty while simultaneously covering it with black pepper saying that if anything bad happens it's the salt's fault.

What's wrong with you?

How much did you pay for the meat?

what grind are you using?
it better be 70:30

>Thick

Everyone makes this fucking mistake. They don't know how to cook a proper burger.
The patties aren't supposed to be thick, they're supposed to be THIN... and you use multiple patties.

Also, probably not salting it enough prior to cooking.

Because they're burgers.

I thought it was funny

Learn to cook first

>80/20 meat preferably self ground (or ask your butcher)
>form your patties on parchmentpaper and put them in the freezer for abou 15 minutes to resolidify (the warmth of your hands melts the fat)
>in a cast iron pan (or on a griddle/grill) put the patties with a LITTLE oil and lay away from you. flip once when the side of the patty is greyish/done on the bottom half (don´t have a timer just look at the patties)
>after you flipped put the cheese on, put in a few drops of water and cover with a pot/bowl tthis steams and melts the cheese)
>meanwhile butter and toast your buns
>assemble and enjoy

>80/20
sure if you want tasteless burgers

i forgot:

dont make the patties to thick, try to make them the size of your buns. don´t press them to hard either. they should be tight but not like hockey pucks. a couurser grund beef helps with the right consitency

pic related

everything between 70/30 and 80/20 is fine/personal preference

>try to make them the size of your buns
wrong
make them larger than your buns to account for shrinkage

>getting shit meat water meat.

maybe 5% bigger than the bun

fat melts and the patties shrink

Does fat have a taste?

make a burger out of lean ground and find out

I mean, does it have a taste of it's own or does it act as a vehicle to allow the taste of other things to become more easily detectable.

It's hard to make thick burgers on a stove top because they tend to burn. Get them really thin. As for ingredients, make sure you're adding an egg for every pound of meat and some Worcestershire sauce. I also add grated onions to my burgers.

this.

fat and salt are flavor enhancers

Don't overthink it, don't overdo it.

By some coarsely ground chuck. Loosely pack it into patties. No squeezing, no muscle. Just gently form it. Salt, pepper, garlic powder on each side.

Get your pan crazy hot. Toss some vegetable oil or beef fat in there, wait a couple seconds, put your patty down. Press it down nice and thin with a metal spatula. Wait until you see the juices rising, get a good flip. Wait a little bit, slap your cheese on, add another crack of pepper, cover for a minute or less. Done.

Serve on bun toasted in the burger pan. Season your tomatoes and onions.

>Press it down nice
heretic!