Why don't you own a proper chef knife, Veeky Forums?

Why don't you own a proper chef knife, Veeky Forums?

The only acceptable excuses are:
1) I don't cook.
2) I have no money.

Other urls found in this thread:

theonion.com/article/area-man-constantly-mentioning-he-doesnt-own-a-tel-429
youtube.com/channel/UCOluHMoKJ6CrS0kcybhaThg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Nices quads. I have a couple nice knives. Very happy with them. A new one arrived in the mail today, looking forward to trying it out.

all hail the unholy lord and true father

I have an 8" Wusthof Classic, but I never reach for it because my Chinese cleaver is always in my hand.

i have 1 Santoku,1 pearing knife, and 1 utility hunting knife, chef knives are overrated

I do.
8" global chefs
7" shun chefs
5" global utility
3.5" global paring

Plus a set of laguiole steak knives

>Global

Aren't they kinda slippery?

I'm just lazy and haven't done much research into buying one from a reputable source, honestly. I get by with my shitty generic kitchen knives that I hone every now and then, but I would like a legit sharp knife.

I do, a cheap Victorinox, used in professional kitchens, and sharpening steel and dual grit stone I got for $10. It does what I need and I can't afford anything else until I'm done being a full time student. I really like the Fibrox handle. I can get anything on my hands and it doesn't slip.

Check'd
I have a knife, it does what i need it to do. It was also a bit of a meme knife on Veeky Forums for a short while. It's a Japanese knife i don't remember the name of.

I have a "good enough" chef knife from Tojiro and a lot of "more than good enough" supplementary knives from various makers.

I kind of feel like I need one really awesome chef knife but I don't know what to get. Masamotos get a lot of hype but I don't like those huge ass handles. I might just get a ux10 even though I am mostly looking for a crabon gyuto, I've used ux10s in the past and was pretty happy with them but I never sharpened one. The Misono sweden steel looks appealing too. Also considering a kanetsune seiki blue 2, and sakai takayuki blue 2.

Anyone have suggestions? Pic unrelated

I have a few mercer, i challenge anyone to make a valid claim they arent real chef knives

I don't think anyone has ever made that claim but since you seem like you're in an argumentative mood, sure. Your knives aren't knives. Now what?

Looking to upgrade to something better. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good one that is also lightweight?

why would you need two chefs knifes?

I think the bigger concern is: how does someone end up buying global AND shun?

That's like buying beats by dr. dre and bose

I see you've played knifey spoony before.

>my Chinese cleaver is always in my hand
that's gotta make jerking off really difficult.

I have a Mercer Renaissance 8 inch and a King 1000/6000 stone. Can you guys recommend some sharpening videos? I just can't seem to get it as sharp as I want. I feel like I'm either missing something or the 1000 just isn't coarse enough and it's going to take more work than I'm thinking

>Why don't you own a proper chef knife, Veeky Forums?
But I do own a chef's knife, user. About 70 or them in my collection, plus various pettys and parers. Do you think I should buy more?

Because it's a meme and you don't need a premium knife to cook.

>The 1000 isn't coarse enough

Brotip: most knife advice from Japanese-influenced sources will steer you in the wrong direction because of the weird kōhai/senpai dynamic that infects literally everything. They will tell you you should only use ridiculously fine stones because it's presumed your first efforts will be counterproductive and require senpai's help to fix. Japanese knives also have a fairly complex grind which can be genuinely damaged irreversibly by an inexperienced sharpener on coarse stones, so this concern is somewhat more valid in the Japanese context but still gets repeated by retarded white people using standard western style chef knives

Eventually through years of frustration and mindless obedience, the kōhai learns through experience why the senpai made him do it this way. And the kōhai thus becomes the senpai ready to haze the next generation. The graduation ceremony involves the secretive acquisition of arato toishi which are reserved only for the most jaded senpai

You didn't hear this from me though. You should only use 1k or higher or you'll ruin your knives

Most of the sharpening videos on youtube are pretty good. I can recommend the ones from Korin or Japanese Knife Imports.

If peope have problems getting their knife sharp it is often because they don't actually reach the apex. The factory angle was too steep and they are just taking material off at the shouiilder, i.e. the "corner" where bevel and bladeface meet. Check this by painting the bevel and shoulder with a waterproof Sharpie. A proper burr must form at the apex, if not you haven't reached it. Check for the burr by dragging a soft cotton cloth (or a wool sock) along the edge on both sides. Then remove the burr on the 6000 side and by lightly pulling the edge through cork or wood.

You don't need a car to get around either, a Chinese scooter works just fine. Similiarly
you don't NEED a genuinely PREMUIM knife, but a good knife can make things vastly easier and more enjoyable. I have worked with good $25 knives and shitty $100 knives. The price is not the deciding factor. I have/had some premium german F. DIck knives that were really well made, as good as Wüsthof and just as expensive, but they were so thick behind the edge that you needed a mallet to force through a carrot. Premium quality knives as far as material and workmanship was concerned, but shitty execution that impaired the actual function. One of my favourite knives is my IKEA 365+ knife for like $20.

Not that guy, but I don't have a car. I don't have a television either, or a microwave

Also scooters may have "decent" mileage compared to a cage but they are absolutely terrible for PM2.5, you're giving everyone alzheimer's because you're too lazy to pedal

>Not that guy
Then shut up and fuck off. Maybe the other guy actually gets what I'm trying to say with that metaphor..

I've said what needs to be said. Sorry you're salty just because I'm a better person than you

>I don't have a television either

theonion.com/article/area-man-constantly-mentioning-he-doesnt-own-a-tel-429

since you said a couple and couldnt count to 5 im going to assume you mean you keester your two shanks in your ass and cant wait to use them to cut up snack cakes for your criminal cell mates after a game of cards with a floppy used up deck of red bicycles.

Get yourself something in blue1 or super blue, and a decent stone

I've got decent stones. Any specific suggestions, preferably not too thick? What's wrong with the blue #2 knives I mentioned?

check my kohetsu

I've handled some global knives, they're quite sturdy and easy to hold

both gifts from past restaurants

that kramer tho

Don't know a good knife to buy and I don't know how to take care of it.

Your former employer must have appreciated your work to give you a $300 knife as a gift.

8' Wusthof Pro Cook's knife.

I really want a nice chef's knife with a wa-handle for like 100 dollars, any suggestions?

a challenger appears

tell us more about your former employers

Notice me senpai!

>gift

I recently acquired a Mac mth-80 and I love the shit out of it. Does anybody else own one? I've never seen them discussed here (sorry if they have been, I haven't been lurking Veeky Forums very long).

since it's pretty much the best mid range price chef's knife, yes it does get discussed here

it's up there with wusthof (which is the best value for money knife)

i bought a chinese cleaver and i am digging it over the traditional chefs knife

like 95% of what i do with a kitchen knife is chop and smash. i use a smaller knife for trimming meat, peeling, etc.

I don't cook, but I have a wusthof 8" chef's knife to open envelopes and packages.

Please elaborate more on this.

Don't you find it unwieldy? I use an opinel for that stuff.

I am both of those excuse eventhough I'm a culinary student. For my class, I bought a RM5 ($1) multipurpose knife from Daiso.

I bought a couple of kiwi knives as I had heard good things and at a couple of dollars each they seemed to be worth a shot.

I like this guy
youtube.com/channel/UCOluHMoKJ6CrS0kcybhaThg

Watch the budget stuff and the instructional videos if you don't want to be memed. Also, his vids are unedited.

quints checked

>1) I don't cook.

That's not acceptable in the slightest.

I don't feel I'm worthy.

Jap knives are a meme.

Buy American.

Drop some dosh on a CutCo, the handle on this thing is just magic.

I use mine to remove gravel and shit from under my shoes. Works pretty well.

So it's a knife for wizards.

Basically yes. Also they'll resharpen any of their knives any time forever for just the shipping cost, which is very important for their serrated knives.

>his knife wasn't handed down to him from his father and his father before him and probably used to kill Nazis

>Drop some dosh on a CutCo

Why? They're awful knives, very expensive for what you get, and the company is one big pyramid scheme.

There's a very well known knife test online which reviewed the Cutco. It came in last place despite being one of the most expensive knives tested.

I have a pretty similar one from my gramps who was a butcher.
You wouldn't pierce a boche with this tho.

knife dont make ur food taste better cuh

i use a simple pairing knife for all my shit

>knife dont make ur food taste better cuh

Nope. But they do make your prep work go much easier/faster, which saves a great deal of time.

I don't understand Zwilling Henckels.

They obviously understand what makes a good knife since they produce Kramer by Zwilling and Miyabi lines.

Yet, their mainline Zwilling has seen very little improvement (suboptimal ergonomics, soft steel even compared to other western knives, blade way too thick to move through thick vegetables with ease, etc.).

>soft steel even compared to other western knives, blade way too thick to move through thick vegetables with ease, etc

That's kinda the point of that line of knives. Classic looks and workhorse durability. That soft steel doesn't hold an edge very well but it tolerates a lot of abuse and it's easy to sharpen.

The current best buy is $25 Kuma chef knife on Amazon, which performs as well if not better than $40 Victorinox Fibrox, the previous value king.

Cutco shit are absolute dogshit for the price.

>Killing Nazis
Good goy

I need to sharpen a few knives (two cooking and one pocket knife) and I have no idea of what to get. Can anyone help me out with recommendations of sharpeners/sharpening stones or whatever?

King brand combo grit stone for sharpening.

A DMT diamond steel for frequent maintenance.

>quads

Get a combo stone with 300-400 grit on one side and 1000-1500 grit on the other. If you can afford to spend a bit more get an additional higher grit stone, 3000-6000. This would mainly be for the pocket knife (so it can be very small), for kitchen knives, especially Euro steel, 1000 grit is plenty. Now you just need to learn proper technique and how to raise and remove a burr. If possible try to get stones in 200mm length, way more comfortable to use with decent-sized kitchen knives than the 150mm standard sizes. King or Naniwa stones are really good quality.

Because i'm not a pleb.

horrible overgrind in front of the bolster will cause accordioning in anything you cut with that knife. I hope the buyers have all access to a belt sander.

Nice quints matey.

This is my current main knife for prep/line work. AS steel clad in hand-made iron damascus.

I wonder how many people have listened to this type of advice on Veeky Forums and have ended up with a kitchen knife with a rounded off jack knife grind that cuts their fingers off.

What are you talking about? "This kind of advice"?

What has the grind of an edge got to with cutting yourself? If you cut yourself with a kitchen knife you were a dumbass and/or using improper technique.

someone help this guy. Look up 'bevels' then google "dull knives are more dangerous than sharp knives"

maybe you'll figure it out.

Ill tell you why. Some dummy used it and didnt put it away, likely fell off a table into a trash can. Ill get another soon. I have a nice Shun at home but i would never take that one to work.

>doesn't point out what is wrong
>just passive aggressively hurls insults

Almost 100% likelihood this poster is a woman.

I said, "rounded grind." That's the cunting problem if you knew what you were talking about. You don't know enough to even recognize the problem.

When an inexperienced person uses a whetstone they rock the blade randomly while they sharpen. It makes the sharpening inconsistent and ultimately dull.

Fucking learn the basics before you even bother typing.

This place is impossible to be productive in, because people are arrogant and stupid. you can't teach anyone anything when they're impervious to the basics.

How's the view from Mount Stupid?

I don't cook and I have no money.

How's trying to pretend you know anything? Keep on keeping on. I need to water my grass today with your stupidity. You'll get through this, honey.

God please keep talking, I need something to do while I rewatch Game of Thrones. The more you sound like an idiotic cunt the better.

I have a 600/3000 stone it works fine, i would think 1000 is too fine for removing material properly though.

I don't have to pretend to know anything, someone who literally knows nothing about knives knows more than you. You're so incredibly dumb reading your posts so far made me lose 20 IQ points. You remind me of that spaz who used to post webms of himself stabbing phone books with his fat hands, you are beyond "not having anything to contribute" and every post you make is a setback for the internet as a whole.

jesus christ, just get a strop after you sharpen at 3000 and maintain your microserration. That's the reason restaurants have a shitty knife sharpening wheel, they create the burr and the strop pulls the burr off.

I guess that's why I can shave with my knives and you're just some twat. Right?

I don't even have any picture of my santokus with regards to shaving sharp, but I do with my cleavers.

What kind of moron shaves with kitchen knives? I have a 19th c. sheffield and a pre-WW2 solingen razor for that. Do you shit in your cookware too? Assuming you cook at all, which seems highly doubtful?

What happened to the tips

Disgusting, you're surrounded by piss bottles aren't you

Don't you have a sip thread to be posting in?

a high bevel knife that can shave is a SHARP knife. talking about sheffield steel like you even own a shard of it. I have chisels and gouges from sheffield and germany. Fucking dipshit.

Create your own world, that you seem to live in.

Most Luthiers test their blades on their arms. They used to use oilstones however.

No it isn't you shit for brains. You hardly need anything to be able to do what you did with your cleavers. An 800 stone is more than adequate.

An adult with a full beard needs an actual refined edge, stropped on leather after 8k or more. This is something you wouldn't know anything about because all you have to shave is your pubestache so the burr on your filthy cleavers is "good enough"

I have to go to work now because I'm not a NEET, I think it's time for you to go shitpost about white pride in a Jas Townsend video or something. Frogposting neckbeard scum

any moron that goes 8k on a kitchen knife is an idiot. You ever cut through a tomato, whatever I'm addressing? You need razor sharp micro serrations. I've made violins with mirror sharp gouges, That's not a kitchen tool. you need tiny serrations after you sharpen a blade for it to be "sharp" in a kitchen.

Are all of you people like 19 years old?

Just so you know, that's jeweler's rouge(polishing compound) on a proper strop after it went through a professional dry diamond sharpening system. I have all the stones here to do it by hand, but I don't because I'm not a fucking idiot. Do you want me to take a picture of the stones?

>I have to go to work now because I'm not a NEET, I think it's time for you to go shitpost about white pride in a Jas Townsend video or something. Frogposting neckbeard scum

This is the kind of meltdown everyone loves. He just implodes. "and by theway, PISS!"