What is your favorite soul food dish

what is your favorite soul food dish

Other urls found in this thread:

books.google.com/books?id=R612CQAAQBAJ&pg=PT52&dq=southern greens turnip&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjI6Lrn78PVAhXCqlQKHeOuD_cQ6AEIKzAB#v=onepage&q=southern greens turnip&f=false
southernliving.com/food/kitchen-assistant/turnip-greens-recipes?source=dam
books.google.com/books?id=5rN_CQAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=what are southern greens&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjq5azC-8PVAhXig1QKHe4RBi8Q6AEINzAD#v=onepage&q&f=false
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Ox-tail stew with cornbread.

And daaaaaamn dem are some TOBs.

Photoshopped titties casserole

Huh. The awe of these tits never made me stop and think.

you mean nigger food?

I had jambalaya pasta before.

It was meh.

Bulgarian ratatouille like sweet veg stews

That's cajun-creole not soul food, and you must have been in a shit restaurant. Jambalaya pasta can be god-tier done right.

We got a bad boy over here! He says nigger in casual conversation!

red beans and rice with some cornbread

also mac n cheese(not that gooey drippy shit)

spotted the triggered tumblrina who wears heavy black glasses

Eh... beans, sweet cornbread, collards, barbecue, and either cheesy mac or cheesy hash. All on a plate.

Smoked ham hocks, pigs feet or turkey necks stewed with beans.

Fried chicken

>getting triggered by words
maybe you should go to reddit or tumblr or facebook

Who is this??

@soniyahshalinie bro

For me, its the McChicken, the ultimate southern comfort food

SHOW US HER KNOCKERS!

>soniyahshalinie
WE

Nothing wrong with the word nigger unless you're a nigger

Spinach casserole, fried catfish, oxtail spaghetti, sweet potato pie, and collage greens.

At least in my family.

>SHOW US HER’E KNOCKERS
ftfy

>oxtail spaghetti
is this good??

It's ok. Oxtail is all you really taste. It tastes the better the day after it was cooked.

triggered nigger lmao

why does this indian woman always get posted for soul food threads

Any nudes available?

why is Veeky Forums so easy to bait?

To be fair I know plenty of women of African heritage who have bodies like this.

She looks black American, on the lighter side but she wouldn't look out of place at most cookouts.
As a Creole I will say our culinary traditions have been assimilated in"soul food" we migrated north and west with black Americans and have assimilated in all but surname save for those in Louisiana who still hold on to some form of tradition.

Dude, there is no Indian woman on earth who has that body structure.

There's a lot of crossover, but I think each side still has a few specialties to consider them separately. You can get collard greens in Louisiana, but you don't think of them as a cajun-creole dish. They're more of a soul food specialty.

That's patently false though user.

Where Im from no one calls it sould food. Its just food. But anyway....a standard dish would be some sort of unhealthy protein (fried chicken, country fried steak, porkchops) with a lot of fresh greans.

Ill never make the argument southern food is healthy, but we dont get enough credit for all the beautiful and delicious produce we have.

Oh but as far as favorite...probably pulled pork with greens, pinto beans, and yams.

Fried pork chops and greens (turnip are best, collards are good too)

Turnips arent greens yankee scum

What the fuck are you talking about of course they are.

Google southern greens and let me know how many of the results say turnip

It's a traditional green that my great grandmother ate almost a century ago and a common food of the poor and enslaved.

books.google.com/books?id=R612CQAAQBAJ&pg=PT52&dq=southern greens turnip&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjI6Lrn78PVAhXCqlQKHeOuD_cQ6AEIKzAB#v=onepage&q=southern greens turnip&f=false

Im sorry about your ancient slave relatives. Im talking about today.

You can go to any grocery store and get turnip greens in the frozen section. Sometimes even fresh.

It's a historical and contemporary southern green.

See Better yet, go to any southern restaurant ask for greens. Lemme know how many tunips you get

how have you never heard of turnip greens you fucking retard

I sho nuff loves me some f'ied water buffalo, collahd greens, f'ied okra, and co'nb'ead smothahed in souha cream... mmmMMM!! but of course, I knows you like that food as well, but, be sho to save some room for mammy's sweet potatay pie okay, massa?

No

southernliving.com/food/kitchen-assistant/turnip-greens-recipes?source=dam

Nice source. Google "southern living greens". Let me know what the results are. Pic related

Yes. I have heard of them. Thats how I know theyre not whats meant when people ask for "greens". If you want turnip greens youll say

>id like turnip greens
Then the restaurant will say
>do mean collards?

That's because the recipes that talk about Southern Greens are referring to collards the most common green you find other than Kale now.

Beet greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, pokeweed, pepper grass, etc... along with collards are all traditional greens of the South

books.google.com/books?id=5rN_CQAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=what are southern greens&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjq5azC-8PVAhXig1QKHe4RBi8Q6AEINzAD#v=onepage&q&f=false

Yeah and Im sure if you go into a southern restaurant ask for greens theyre just as likely to give you pepper grass.

Thats the point dummy. Im talking about the common lexicon of the south.

Just because of the industrialization of agriculture over the past 50 years occurred that doesn't make Turnip greens "Yankee" there are books talking about Turnip, Mustard and other "tops" and greens and most 'mess of greens' dishes don't utilize just one kind of vegetable.

Restaurant food is not the definition of Southern culinary traditions.

See Lemme know how often you hear beets or pokeweed mentioned

You can find them in old southern farms, just like muscadines and other now uncommon but once important southern foods.

That doesn't make them "Yankee" as you stated , they are traditional foods.

Good point. When I mentioned what people commonly refer (lexicon) to as greens I definitely meant meant what people ate a century ago. Feel free to pull up a 1907 farmers almanac to let me know what the fishing conditions will be tomorrow

can you please go the fuck back to

That's now, I just spoke to my grandmother and asked her "what's in greens" and she listed 9, of which she uses 5 or 7 depending on availability.

Secondly pepper grass can be found at farmer markets, it's called cress.

Just because you don't understand or have a working/living knowledge of Southern Culinary Traditions doesn't mean I'm wrong. They still sale blends of greens to make "collards", you can go to many super markets and find the one just above.

Well damn, I ate some beet greens today from my garden sauteed in a garlic/thai pepper oil. Do I qualify as a hipster now? Careful on your loose definition, I'm in bumfuck MS.

>pokeweed

You pick young sprouts in early spring. It becomes toxic as it grows, though. Boiling eliminates the toxins. Learn to live from the earth mf, instead of eating Monsantos definition of "food."

>stop eating food created by brilliant minds and centuries of food science
>instead, pick these toxic weeds that illiterate farmers have been subsisting on out of desperation

How cultured of you.

Did yoe take your garden veggies to a restaurant, give them to a cook, and then order them from the front of the house by them for greens?

If not, if you went to a southern restaurant and asked for greens would you expect beets with thai peppers? Oh ok. Good point

Again...Im not talking about southern tradition. Im talking about what is commonly referred to as greens. And it isnt pepper grass. Im sure your grandma used to call black people negroes (at best). Is that what you still say?

Im sure you can go to plenty of places and buy plenty of shit. Look at rice for example. At home I cook carolina gold rice. If I go to a restaurant and ask for rice I dont expect a 250 year old heirloom blend. Common terms for the present time.

by asking for greens*
all other spelling errors*

That was an awfully written post, sorry. Points remain

Ive known a couple black women with titties like that. Especially from the isalnds

Soul food is great asshole, youre missing out
Not every person that thinks like this is from "powl"

No you said Turnip greens werent southern and that they were "Yankee"
That's culinary tradition

Secondly these are pre-mixed bags people make for greens, when you eat greens it can be any sort of greens. Collards are specific.

Stop shifting goal posts.

>by brilliant minds and centuries of food science

Yeah, no. The big agri chemical poison monoculture welfare subsidized food saturation became ubiquitous after WWII. Not before. Not even 1 century idiot.

>collage greens
For your sophisticated palette, no doubt.

I'm black and I grew up on soul food.

Issue is my mom ruined the idea of soul food for me when I was a kid.

Everything she made that was considered soul food had the same qualities
>cheap-ass food
>cooked overdone
>cooked only when my mom had no money
>and in such large quantities that there was nothing else to eat for days but the shitty soul food she'd make

It was a plate of "at least we aren't starving"

This extended to corn dogs, ramen noodles, and other shit as well. I just can't eat them because I hate them, and I hate being poor, so I do whatever I can to remove that feeling.

Soul food isn't poor food necessarily. I get that. My mom is just a bad cook and ruined soul food for me.

Is peach cobbler soul food though? I will fuck up a peach cobbler.