He doesn't forage for mushrooms

>he doesn't forage for mushrooms

My mind expanding days are better off left in the past.

The only thing these mushrooms expand is your taste buds.

>he's so poor he eats literal mold

I don't even like eating them that much. But they're fun to forage.

I forage for mine at the local whole foods in the new forest section

Do they really sell wild mushrooms?

I live in the city otherwise I'd at least try. I took a walk once by my parents' place which has oak/maple forest and swamp but didn't find anything

You don't always find them. It depends on the year--some years are entirely dead of mushrooms. The better kinds also don't tend to grow in areas where it's TOO wet, so look on edges of swamp instead of venturing too deep.

Nice fucking haul dude. We have shiitake by me big time, its more than minimum wage to hi them in season. My neighbors across the street grow them thye have wood and a hose + lighting and yield 50+ stumps worth each season, Its cook shit! I dont even cook with them and I love it.

Thanks! I had to can a bunch, and the rest are drying outside.

>he doesn't grow his own mushrooms

Growing porcinis is a pain in the ass, and it's fun to forage! I've never had factory-grown porcinis, but I assume they'd lose some of the characteristic flavor.

I live in the desert

I wish I could, but I don't live near a forest or any kind of greenery

How is Utah?

I want to forage but scared of picking the wrong ones. Help.

Try this book. Audubon guides are usually solid. Just be careful and pick only ones that you're sure are good--porcinis like pictured above are obvious when you find them, and among the best to eat. As a very general rule of thumb, avoid mushrooms with gills, and pick ones with pores.

Hello, friend.

>he doesn't forage for cacti

Mold and fungus are not the same thing.

Which mushrooms will make me feel euphoric

Any edible mushroom when you feel the joy of spotting one in the wild!

>>Not pairing your mushrooms with wild Polish blueberries

>he doesn't have a sterilized still-air box fitted with tyvek sleeves and gloves, a 10 gallon pressure cooker, syringe needles and a dehydrator

Kek, like why even live?

That's cute, user. But I'm hunting for some top quality good feels shrooms.

"xhe" is the universally agreed apon method for addressing people. Do not assume gender.

Anyway, what is your method for drying them?

How about if I go with "they" for everything? The drying method isn't complicated--they dry out pretty quick sliced and in the sun.

i'm not a mushroom expert. why would i waste my time and possibly risk my life (like i said, not a mushroom expert, so fuck me if i can't tell the difference between an edible and poisonous one) for something that i eat infrequently (once a week tops) and can be purchased for a $1 a serving

maybe you should spend less time foraging and more time improving your mushroom cooking skills (protip: fresh herbs like thyme and crushed garlic are essential, plus a squeeze of lemon, some parsley and final adjustment to salt at the end)

also, you put too much oil.

>and can be purchased for a $1 a serving

Because the stuff you can forage isn't just plain 'ol boring shit that costs $1. You can get god-tier stuff that you'd never find at a supermarket.

As for the risk? If you use a guide and pay attention the risk is minuscule. You take bigger risks every day. You don't let the fear of wrecks stop you from riding in vehicles, and you don't let fear of electric shock prevent you from using electronics.

Lol

Ew wtf is that thing?

Perfection. That's what that "thing" is.

K

puh lease. i'm not even talking about button mushrooms. go to a local farmers market or whatever and cremini, porcini, portabello etc aren't that expensive. especially doesn't make it worth my while to go galavanting in the woods

those are still easy to get at a supermarket.

Come back to me when your local market sells morels, hen-of-the-woods, chantrelle, matsutake, etc.

I like to put em in my butt

OLD and BUSTED

Look for this

Yes its sweet

>You don't let the fear of wrecks stop you from riding in vehicles

Actually, I do

>and you don't let fear of electric shock prevent you from using electronics.

Not an actual risk