Best bay area restaurants

What are some of the best restaurants around San Francisco, no compromises and no matter the price?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ajcJTpIh44o
youtu.be/49Sk2TlYqrI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Take your pick

Thanks

No problem, friend. By the by, Feel free to save that, print it out, etc

Jack London Square in Oakland has some quality places. Specifically Yoshi's, Forge, and Everett & Jones.

Starbelly, Nopa, House of Prime Rib, Hakasan, La Folie are all some nice fancy places. I really like Starbelly, plus it's more affordable. If you want a sandwich go to Ikes or Deliboard. Swan oyster depot for seafood. Mikeller or Fat Angel are taprooms that serve great food. I could go on at length.

I can vouch for Nopa. Definitely get their porkchop.

Seconding Yoshi's. Went there last week for a show, the food is definitely worth the price.

I mostly stick to the North Bay and occasionally SF. Muracci's Japanese Curry at Belden Place is excellent, as are some of the underground restaurants nearby. Espetus was pretty good though you can get better outside of California. DragonEats makes fantastic Banh Mi and Hops & Hominy is alright for dinner, though their cajun offerings leave a lot to be desired if you're familiar with the real thing. In Marin go to Michael's Sourdough or Scotty's Market for great sandwiches, Taqueria Real (Novato) or El Capitan (Santa Rosa) for Mexican. Head even further north to get to the best breweries, which I think are North Bay (Fort Bragg), Anderson Valley (Boonville - also stop by Stone and Embers for good pizza and The Bewildered Pig for expensive dinner up the road) and Russian River (Santa Rosa). BBQ Smokehouse in Sebastopol is the only acceptable BBQ I've found in the entire region thus far (good gumbo too) and if you're a vegetarian take your pick from the Mutt Hut or Jyun Kang up in Ukiah, there's a fuckton of Buddhists there so they make pretty good things.

Now that I think about it few of those are very pricey, but something to note about the Bay Area is that pricey doesn't always mean good, in fact it usually doesn't. You could go on a waiting list and spend hundreds out in places like the French Laundry (or a lot of places in Napa) but I always found the best food at pretty casual establishments.

Hrmm, if only a travel company made a guide about where to find high quality restaurants...

Thanks, folks

And to you, my understanding of this board is that half of you think the Michelin guide is rubbish so I'm trying to get a different understanding of whats good and what isn't, especially in such a pretentious area like SF

There's so many good restaurants in SF, it's hard to pin down an opinion from me. I noticed someone else mentioned House of Prime Rib and Swan's Oyster Depot, both of which are classic SF places, and delicious. Make sure you're hungry if you go to HoPR, though, because you will get a ton of food. And if you go to Swan's, go early before they run out of the best stuff.
Also, check out Eater SF, they have articles about new restaurants unusual places, and lists of the "best places for..."

Tropisueno, it's a Mexican place next to the Holocaust museum in SF and it's incredible and also pretty inexpensive. I went there with my parents and it was ~$30 for all 3 of us

Vik's Chaat Market and Casa Latina in Berkeley are pretty great

Are there any Michelin star restaurants that you anons recommend? I'm also going there for business in a few weeks and had a free night.

I should add I prefer quieter places where you can talk, not the loud hipster glass + concrete ones.

Chez Panisse in Berkeley is supposed to be fantastic, but I've never been. Good luck getting a table...

To piggyback off OP's request, any suggestions for good places for a poorfag to eat in SF. Visiting for the first time and Tartine bakery's the only thing I have on my agenda atm.

Thanks, that looks fantastic. It's about a half hour from my hotel but maybe worth it. I'll try to get a reservation.

No problem. Hopefully you get to eat there, and if so, enjoy!

Usually in those circumstances I call the concierge and say I really want to eat at the restaurant and have them call for cancellations. I got lucky at La Gavroche in London doing that recently which has a few month waiting list.

Any other recommendations similar to that if I can't get in?

Rivoli in Albany (just north of Berkeley) and Julia's in the Berkeley City Club are also supposed to be good. Availability may be limited at both places.

If you're looking for something less formal/pricey, but still delicious, I'd recommend Cheeseboard Pizza, Vik's Chaat, or Jayakarta (Indonesian/Singaporean cuisine).

Thank you!

I got into the upstairs/cafe, not the fixed menu downstairs - but I'm going to try it!

Awesome and enjoy!

Half this board eats fast food and drinks aspartame caffeinated drinks, and is on summer break

Go to the Little Caesars in Millbrae. Ask the guy "if my pizza is ready" followed by a wink. He'll give you for free

>they had to close down an E&Js location because niggers

I love them but I never want to be in Oakland. Just buy their sauce at safeway.

I've been meaning to try the Berkeley location. Is there anything they do particularly well?

Obligatory Tadich mention. Stiff martinis and clam chowder. The rest of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Go to el farolito on 24th and mission and get the best burrito of your life

Someone is pretentious...

I took my boy here after his 8th grade graduation.
We are an old Bay Area family.
In Berkeley, try Chez Panisse: upstairs is excellent, don't worry.
Also good:
La Note
Cheeseboard
La Mission
Kirala
LoCoco
Fat Apples

Millennium,
Greens,
Gracias Madre,
Citizen Fox,
Herbivore,
Shizen,
Ananda Fuara,
Udupi Palace,
Ike's Place,
Cha Ya,
Souley Vegan,
Nourish Cafe,
Seed + Salt,
Shangri-la Vegan,
Golden Era.

You missed Cafe Gratitude in your vegan list.
Cha Ya is the only one of those I would actually recommend, though.

Eater's Dining on a Dime with that half Asian guy was in the Bay a month ago

He ""suggested"" that a burrito place in the Mission was better than anything in LA..........

But the sandwich shop he went to in South SF looked bomb af

You don't like Greens?

Found em

Burrito: youtu.be/ajcJTpIh44o

Sammy: youtu.be/49Sk2TlYqrI

Interesting that the best burrito place in the Mission district doesn't make Mission style burritos.

> one of the oldest restaurants in CA
> pretentious
Neck yourself kiddo.

B..but that's not a question

My go to is Brenda's. It's soul food and located in the tenderloin. Inexpensive and tasty as fuck.

You sound tough

little luccas is amazing and everyone should go there.

Wow this thread really blew up! Might have to save a bit more so we can visit more than one. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Sometimes you get some real gems on Veeky Forums inbetween the shitposters.

not too often sadly