"""""""""organic"""""""""""""""

STOP!!!!!!!!

When will normies understand that "organic" is a buzzword with an arbitrary definition and that they're being blatantly manipulated?

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.scientificamerican.com/science-sushi/httpblogsscientificamericancomscience-sushi20110718mythbusting-101-organic-farming-conventional-agriculture/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I agree, OP. Organic food is retarded lol.

>tfw to intelligent to buy organic

Those tomatoes look really good. Would definitely eat everything in that image.

How is it a meme to prefer foods untreated by chemical pesticides?

Because that's not what "organic" means you fuckwit. There are still chemical pesticides used, simply different ones. You don't even know what your own preferred buzzword actually means.

blogs.scientificamerican.com/science-sushi/httpblogsscientificamericancomscience-sushi20110718mythbusting-101-organic-farming-conventional-agriculture/

but they still use pesticides

But would you eat the table?

organicfags REKT

Organic means they don't use synthetic pesticides. The natural pesticides tend to be a lot worse for human consumption. Support naturally pest resistant GMOs and we can eliminate the need for pesticides altogether.

Oh no! Not GMOs!!!

>all organic farmers use broad specrtrum pesticides

Wrong. Big agri wrote the USDA organic regulations to include broad spectrum insecticides like pyrethrins and rotenone (which has since been prohibited for use in food production) so they could keep their hand in the pie while continuing a scorched earth monoculture similar to conventional. So yes, if you're buying USDA organic at walmart grown by big agri, pyrethrins might have been used. Most small and medium sized local organic growers aren't using them. They probably use BTK, a bacteria that only attacks the digestive track of soft bodied leaf eaters, soaps and possibly neem oil. There are a variety of other control methods and practices that work and don't require resorting to scorched earth broad spectrums which interfere with the effectiveness of the other methods.

>There are a variety of other control methods and practices that work and don't require resorting to scorched earth broad spectrums which interfere with the effectiveness of the other methods.

Yes, but those are expensive so they are rarely used. The overwhelming majority of "organic" production is still using broad-spectrum pesticides.

>overwhelming majority of "organic" production is still using broad-spectrum

Again, big agri organic operations are probably using broad spectrums. Small operations, no. Other control methods once established are actually cheaper, especially for smaller operations, than continual reliance on insecticides. Visit some of your local commercial growers. I'm friends with several and they don't use them. And I'm in the South where insect pests are as bad as anywhere in the country. You have to remember that most of these people get into it because they are concerned about the negative impact on the environment from big agri, not because they are looking to make a "killing." Their interest lies in having a quality lifestyle while making a living through hard but satisfying labor. As utterly foreign as it may sound to your ears, there are people who prioritize things higher than making a buttload of cash.

>Again, big agri organic operations are probably using broad spectrums. Small operations, no

And since "big agri organic" has a far larger market share than the little guys that's exactly WHY the majority of "organic" still uses broad-spectrum.

>>As utterly foreign as it may sound to your ears, there are people who prioritize things higher than making a buttload of cash.

I'm well aware. But those people you describe are in the minority.

My inner autist always rages when I see an 'organic' section. Where is the inorganic food section? I guess where they keep the salt.

This. Thank fucking lord there's a different word for organic produce in my native language to distinct it from organic compounds

t. chem. engineer major

specially the table, but especially the "organic" sign

Organic fruits and vegetables taste noticeably better, other organic shit is a waste of money

So i'm Irish, and I've started to pay a local farm to send me boxes of seasonable vegetables and free range eggs. They don't use pesticides etc, so i'm not fueling industrial farming practices and am helping the environment etc etc. They don't use the phrase "organic" whatsoever. I guess my point is that the "organic" buzzword is more of an American corporate thing than an anywhere else thing.

BIG
AGRI

Organic produce is entirely a meme. Some forms of organic meat are actually good tough.

That has more to do with the variety of the fruit/veg in question. A hairloom tomato is better because its a different tomato, not because it's organic

>But those people you describe are in the minority.

Not at the small and medium level which are who we should patronize when possible if only for the fact the produce will be fresher and thus retain more nutrients and taste better than the stuff that's been warehoused for several weeks. In fact, although my first preference is for local organic grown produce, I would choose a local conventionally grown vegetable over a warehoused big agri organic product. Supporting US corporate large scale monoculture is suicide.