Question for chilli fans

Just made a chilli with 2 roasted red bell peppers and 4 big roasted jalapenos, should be pretty tame, right?
Well, no, it's hot as fuck. Fine for me, but the wife is gonna be pissed when she gets home and finds out what's for dinner.
I want to know, why are Jalapenos the 'roulette' of chillis? In my experience they can range from not spicy at all, to almost habanero heat at the most extreme.
Also, general chilli discussion welcome too.

can you roast jalapenos and remove the seeds?

That might have helped.

>in my experience they can range from not spicy at all, to almost habanero heat at the most extreme.

Cross-contamination with habaneros, they're grown side-by-side

i roasted the jalapenos whole, removed the seeds and chopped them up afer.
i always thought 'seeds are the hottest part' was a meme. i remove them because they're barely edible.

Seeds don't have any capsicum. The majority of the heat comes from the white placenta of the pepper that HOLDS the seeds. Take the white part out and it won't be nearly as hot.
SEEDS DON'T HAVE HEAT,

intredasting, thank you for clarifying this.

They also vary by climate, nutrients, and care in handling. Same way you can pull seeds out of a bag of the brown frown weed and grow weed that's 10x better, just by growing it small plots where you can care for each plant.

>placenta
i believe the correct term is 'pith'
thanks for the tip though

>Like I would believe anything the daily mail says

Not to be a dick, but if you're going to correct someone; try to be right.

>should be pretty tame, right?
Yeah, jalapenos vary a lot in flavor. That's why you always taste your hot peppers before determining how much to add.

pretty sure it says The Atlantic

I honestly love a good pepper, but my digestive system and asshole can't handle it.

It's depressing.

My joints can't handle nitrated meats, cured meats. So I understand. You just have to limit or quit that shit.

i've found drinking milk or eating something like bread first help a little bit, if you like heat but stomach can't handle it

one time i was eating habaneros on an empty stomach and my stomach was literally burning like 20 minutes later

jalapenos are different levels of spice based on maturity. I always test each one to make sure I'm hitting desired spice level. The pith is the most spicy part so you can leave it out next time if you're not trying to go too spicy

Tell her to add shredded cheese and sour cream to cut the heat down. Or make her a banana milk shake :3

Pretty serious blow out. Ouch.

Kick her in the cunt.

Generally I use 1 big or 1.25 medium jalapenos + a few shakes of cayenne powder per pound of meat when I make chili. It comes out hot but not ridiculous.

i'd give her my banana milk shake

balance it out by adding more tomatoes