How To Eat Cheap

I'm out of a job, working a shit temp job, and I need to budget until I'm back to making what I used to.

I just wrote this grocery list for what I think will feed me for a week for $30-35. What could I do better?

>1 gal whole milk
>18 oz oatmeal
>2Lb chicken breast
>1Lb ground beef
>2Lb of dry beans
>1Lb of dry rice
>1Lb spaghetti
>2 28oz cans of peeled tomatoes
>1 can of corn
>1 can of green beans
>1 onion
>2 Bell Peppers
>1 bottle chili powder
>2 Lb apples or pears
>8oz berries

Other urls found in this thread:

efficiencyiseverything.com/calorie-per-dollar-list/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Two pounds black beans $2.50
Bacon $4
Onions and garlic $1
Prices are rounded up. Cook this all together ( save a few slices of bacon) however you can (I use a pressure cooker). This is enough protein to last you most of a week.

Rice $2
Lentils $1
Peppers if you like $0.5
Canned tomatoes $0.7
cooked together pair well with the beans.

That's about $12. If your not too active this can easily feed you for a week.

>Veeky Forums
>active

he'll be fine

I have a slow cooker. That'll work right? Just take longer?

Not bad, but swap your chicken breasts out for thighs, or even gizzards and hearts if you like offal. Consider ground turkey instead of beef.

>>Milk, Oats, Beans, Rice, Spaghetti, Corn.
>>Non Keto.

Eat a dick Nigger.

>Keto on a budget
It's like you want your shit fucked up senpai

True cheap eating would be like salad, rice beans and chicken breast every day, every meal

Yup. Most of a day but itll work.

>chicken breasts
This meme is getting old

thighs > breast

Lb of dry rice
Buy rice in bulk. A 25 pound bag will last weeks.

Uma delicia

Leaner cut friendo. Can be any protein desu

Farmed crickets are way cheaper per pound than chicken breast, lower in fat, and higher in protien. Hope you like baked grasshopper meatballs.

Sadly my grocery store does not carry those.

Expensive cut baka. And less flavor.

Looks good, OP. If you want to min-max even further, here's a few small tips. (But you already have it nailed pretty well)

You will get more chicken by buying thighs or whole chicken over breast.
Where I live, ground pork is much cheaper than ground beef, but your mileage may vary.

Bell peppers are pretty pricey, although, if they are your only 'luxury' vegetable, that's not too bad. For fruit, berries can be very expensive to buy fresh. You might get a good deal on bagged frozen berries, but the cheapest fruits are always bananas/apples/oranges/pears.

I'd also recommend frozen corn and green beans over canned, since the frozen ones are healthier, and are still just as easy to cook with.

And, of course, always, always buy the biggest bags of pasta/rice/beans/oats that you can.

Instead of buying small bags of assorted dried staples every week, make week 1 the week you invest in a massive bag of rice, week 2 the week you invest in a massive bag of beans, etc.

Cheapest cut around here that is not some meme like the neck or the feet. People all go for the wings and thights because of muh flavour

You forgot potatoes

forgot what?

What magic is this?

Fuck your dumb. Thighs have more flavor, they are cheaper, and they contain more fat which is good for a cheap as fuck diet. The more calories per dollar the better.

>eating cheap
>no ramen
are you actually trying?

oz berries
Snack? Sure. Otherwise berries have almost no nutrition.

>no potatoes at all
Nigga, you can damn near live on potatoes and they're cheap as fuck.

Sauce

Rice
Beans
Bean Sprouts (they're 10c for half a kilo)
Frozen Veges
30c cans of soup
Cheapest pasta sauce and pasta you can find

I did this for around $1-1.50 a day when I was trying to squeeze pennies a few years ago.

This. Price of different meats depends where you live. I can get 2kg of smoked chicken for $8 here in Japan. In somewhere like Australia or Canada it's about triple that.

Drumsticks (chicken thighs) are cheaper because most of the weight is bones. You get less meat.

Eating Keto on a budget.

>>Dollar Tree:
Almonds
Chicken
Olives
Apricots
Pick Sweet Veggie medly
Pork Rinds
Bacon
Eggs

>>Walmart:
Kale $2.50
Saurkraut $2.50
Chia Seeds. $3.00

Found it
efficiencyiseverything.com/calorie-per-dollar-list/

Drum sticks and thighs are not the same thing senpi

Stealing this thread for a second, how much meat should I buy for making chili for 7-8 male guests?

At least 2 pounds. With chili you always make more than you need because it's literally perfect leftover food when reheated.

You can probably get chicken cheaper if you get thighs, or leg quarters in large quantities, as breast meat tends to be more expensive.

For produce, look around the store for reduced pricing options. These usually have cosmetic defects, or were from premade bags with a set number of items, and some of the items were not fit for sale, so the stuff that was still saleable is removed and put on discount. No sense paying full price for produce if you can avoid it.

You can find eggs for cheap if you look around. The last few months I've been picking up 1.5 dozen large eggs for $0.99. Then again, if you have any connections to someone that raises chickens, see if you can work something out where they give you some of their extra chicken and/or eggs for a low cost (or trade some sort of service in exchange for it, instead).

You can make fairly inexpensive fish stews or soups if you ask a fish merchant for some bones/heads/scraps for your cat. You might luck out and get them for free (especially if you are about to buy something else there), or maybe charge you a small fee since it gets rid of something not many people are likely to request. Cheek meat on fish heads can be pretty good, and the above-mentioned parts can make a flavorful fish stock.

if you have flour and water, a mixing bowl, and a kitchen
you can survive a crisis

you can make any bread, buiscuts, pasta, etc

so i recommend some flour

would it be cheaper to buy whole chicken, and just strip it down when you get home, or would that just be a waste of time?

It generally is cheaper, although I'd check before you buy to be sure. Although as you said, it also depends on how well and how quickly you can break down a whole chicken, and how much tjme you want to dedicate to that towards food prep.

true, but if he is unemployeed he probably has a little time on his hands

but if you have one day a week free, you can prep your food pretty easy

why and how would eggs from costco have more protein than eggs from walmart? what about eggs from neither of those, like meijer, kroger, jewl osco, etc...? shit like this doesn't help when there are so many other variables unexplained

What comes to mind is the different farms they get eggs from. Maybe Costco's vendors provide the chicken a better diet.

My father in law raises chickens. They actually feed the chickens back the eggshells to give them more calcium in their diet to keep laying eggs. My local gas station is offering eggs 12 for $0.49. I'm tempted but for 50 cents something makes me skiddish.

I got by one week of college by doing either dine and dashes or complaining about my food having some shit in it.

one week, zero expense.