Sort of a veggie Biryani thing

Moose in place

Peanut oil. Mushrooms in first.

Veggies next

Curry stuff and fabulous frozen peas. Also a bit of sauvignon blanc that was lying around.

Heat the rice through.

Voir lar et nom nom nom

Could have used a touch more salt. The leftovers will be better tomorrow.

looks tasty, well done

>mushroom stalks

Yes, yummy mushroom stalks. You have a problem with this?

I'm not a fan

Poorfag growing up and there was no way we would toss perfectly edible bits like that. Guess it stuck. I respect your personal preference, sir.

>not using pink himalayan salt

The pink salt has an emotional resonance with me, having spent time in the Khewra mine in Pakistan where a lot of it comes from.

1/10 it looks too plain for a meal.

Personally I can't stand carrots unless they are mashed with butter, and generally I hate veg being crunchy or in large chunks--mushrooms being the exception so I'd have just used finely chopped peppers and tomatoes and mushrooms with the peas, no onions, carrot or celery.

I'd have added chili flakes on top too.

>eating it on its own
Absolute pleb. I'd have made some main dish for it to go with. Curried beef or something.

You've got a nice stove, though.

Yeah, would normally have served this as part of a much larger array.

Good idea on the chili flakes. Thinly sliced fresh chili on the side would work also.

Stove -> not a poorfag any more

doesn't look bad but i think i'd use it more as a side dish or something, not really enough there to constitute a full meal

It looks visually appealing, though. Good job on making it moist and for cooking rice properly. One thing I haven't learned to do yet. Every time I try rice it comes out wet, it's never puffy and clean.

It's probably because I cook with basmati rice and put all types of seasoning in with it and in the microwave. I'll have to practice one of these days.

Round these parts, we cook Texmati rice.

never utter that sentence in response to that question again

Explain yourself, o judgemental one.

Are you simply a cunt?

>mushrooms not browned

You forgot the chicken meat user.

Normally would include chicken, but I was thinking ahead to tonight coz I'm going to a Brazilian steak house where I will eat meat until my body begs for mercy.

Even the legendary digestive aid provided by papaya cream will not save me from a meat coma / sleepless night. Roll of the dice which one it will be.

the fuck? you worked in a salt mine in pakistan and now youre scared of salt?

Veeky Forums is fucking weird.

>visable ice

we don't like your kind around here

You mistake me for someone who gives a fuck what you think.

You have no idea how to make biryani. First off, you need to caramelize half an onion, mix the vegetables in and saute til cooked and set it aside, and cook rice til it's about 80% done. Then you need to saute the other half of the onion until translucent, add your shrooms, and saute til onions are golden brown. Make a layer of the vegetables on top of the onions, then make a layer of the rice. Then make another layer of vegetables, then make another layer of rice. Then top the rice with saffron-infused water, cilantro, and some fried onions and let it steam with the water from the vegetables and onions finishing off the rice.
t. Pajeet

2 to 1 ratio for basmati rice. 2 cups water, 1 cup uncooked rice. Always comes out puffy fluffy little pillows that are perfectly read to absorb whatever savory curry you throw at it. NO SEASONING UNTIL AFTER COOKING THE RICE. If you're a fucking boss, maybe you can throw a bayleaf, cloves, or whole star anise in, and i would use a bouquet garni so you can fish it back out after the rice is done. Never cook rice in microwave, always stove-top or rice cooker. Fuck man.
t. Pajeet

OP here. Please come over to my place and show me how it's done.

No, do it yourself and then maybe I'll let you cook for me.

Seems fair. Will give it a shot. You will very likely be unaware of how it turns out, of course, given the ephemeral nature of this place.

>tfw no desi pajeeta gf

I normally add a drizzle of olive oil or little cube of butter to the microwave dish with 2:1 water to basmati, and sprinkle some stuff like curry powder, chicken stock and chili flakes in it.

But you're right, I guess it's normal to season the rice after cooking, and use a pan. I'm just lazy with the microwave.

The nicest rice I cooked I just cooked 1 cup of basmati in a pan with 1 tin of coconut milk, it was so creamy and rich, probably would have tasted weird to an Asian.

Do you use any oil at all in the water?

No oil while cooking rice. Coconut milk will make it too rich to serve with curry; you'll have to go for a pilaf. If you liked the coconut milk rice, you should try cooking rice the day before, refrigerate it, and then put some olive oil in a skillet, saute peppers garlic onions and mushrooms, and then toss the rice over medium heat with chili powder, garam masala and cumin, then add about a quarter cup of coconut milk and simmer it over low heat until the water evaporates to make a veggie pilaf.

I'm adding this to my 'try out' list, thanks.

No problem just friendly neighborhood pajeeta giving cooking advice

Now I worked out who you are OP, you buy a plane ticket for me and I will be there.

>no timestamp
Don't believe you.

>cook rice til it's about 80% done
Why would anyone bother with such a stupid long-winded dish?

Because it ends up looking like pic related.

I know you never claimed you were making authentic biryani but adding a bit of ginger and garlic during the saute and a spot of yogurt while folding in the rice would take it to the next level. Also cinnamon and bay leaf tastes nice in any biryani/pulav.

Thanks for acknowledging that, old chap.

I did put garlic in, forgot to mention. Planned to toss in a bit of ginger also, but forgot. Really this dish was just a way of using up some stuff I had sitting around in the fridge in a way that I could eat it for lunch for a few days.

BTW the meat overindulgence at the Brazilian steak house was mighty fine. Feeling distended, in a good way, obv.

Authentic biryani is a retardedly complex dish to be making for yourself imo. If they had sous vide back when it was invented I'm sure it would have used it. But there are approximate rice dishes that are great and they all have some similarities. Yogurt, cardamom, cinnamon, mace, caraway seeds and a ginger garlic paste.

A friend of mine used to make this Indian rice thing that I could never recreate that was super simple and tasted awesome. Oil. Cumin, bay leaf, ginger-garlic paste, onions and veggies. Saute for a bit. Uncooked rice in, saute. Dump in enough water to cover the rice by 1-2 cm. Garam masala. Boil till rice is cooked. I can never get the rice grains to be separate and fluffy using this method but if you can nail it, it makes the whole thing a cinch.

>he thinks biryani is complex

A well made one is.

also wash your rice

Not as puffy as OP's rice / 10