Whats behind a great bolognese sauce?

i've tried numerous different methods, cooking times, tomatoes etc, but can never get the authentic saucy goodness i've tried in restaurants and the such. any tips?

Other urls found in this thread:

itchefs-gvci.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=587&Itemid=976
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

you need to roast the living shit out of the tomatoes you put in the pot. Roast them unto death. They turn sweet and umami.

That and fresh basil, oregano, garlic, 4 types of pepper, some parm etc..

i have the spices just right, but never tried what is suggesting

Add about 50g of cheddar per person to the sauce 15 minutes before serving. Best spaghetti bolognese you'll ever taste.

What do you mean by bolognese? A regular tomato/meat sauce? Or a sauce of meat, wine, vegetables and milk, with a little bit of tomato too?

For me, it's cooking the shit out of the beef. Stew it until it's a soft mush.

Tomato sauce can go in last minute.

meat, wine, veg, milk etc

ok, lets get serious. Do a mirepoix in a ceramic iron pot. Olive oil in, fry your onion, celery, carrot. Then put in a a few cans of tomato. Either diced up, or use an immersion blender. then toss in smashed and cut garlic, then dried oregano, basil and a couple bay leafs.

>50g of cheddar per person
HOLY FUCK

hey i have that exact pot :)
what about the meat? and cooking time? i generally leave it stewing for 4-5 hours and add wine/water when it starts getting too thick

2 hours minimum for roasting, probably 4 is better. I always get lazy and my sauce is weak. Add mushroom and fried ground beef if you want a savoury bolognaise.

brown ground beef in pan. add jar of spaghetti sauce. top with parmesan cheese

god you guys fucking suck.

Why are you saying you don't make a good sauce? A red wine vinegar is exactly what you add. 4-5 hours is exactly what you need to do.

Is your sauce that bad?

i didnt say its bad, its a good sauce, but theres always room for improvement.

Yeah, we're not 19. Sorry bro.

i was really just curious how other anons make their sauce

Kinda sounds like you're nailing it. Maybe some sugar if you're getting a bitterness, or cornstarch if it's thin when you plate it with spaghetti. Honestly I can't help. You're already there. Cornstarch adds sweetness while thickening your sauce as well, so, maybe that.

maybe i will try that. thanks

My last sauce that didn't get roasted enough.

Fresh diced tomatoes, canned chopped tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, tomato puree, lots of garlic, lots of oregano and basil. Red onions, green onions, and that's how I make bolognese sauce.
Add some shredded halloumi too

Looks like you have too much fat. Try food wishes bolognese recipe, I won't sum it up here because I'm a dirty phone poster. It's a great starter. No you don't really need the milk.

MSG

I used 80/20 chuck and only enough olive oil to fry the mirepoix. This is about an hour into the 4 hour stewing. However, I'm hearing ẃhat you're saying.

Make your own tomato purée, add beef stock and some red wine, add carrots, garlic, onion and spices. might have to add some sugar as well

leave it for like 5 hours on medium heat, then fry up some ground beef and add it before serving

everyone on this thread: "Make everything from scratch and just take everything to the extreme by roasting the ever-loving shit out of it"

just buy some tomato paste, some canned diced tomatoes - brown your meat, dice/slice onions depending how you like your sauce and fry them off, add garlic when they're almost done. Then add paste, and lastly diced tomatoes. Simmer until best consistency, tasting often. Salt + Pepper + fresh basil to finish.

It's also important to remember that the more fats you have melted into the sauce, the better it'll taste, so you may as well go ahead and use a fatty as fuck mince.

70/30 is solid for ground beef or ground pork. Most sausage, assuming you're using it, has more than enough fat content.

Here's mine. I use a fuck load of tomato puree along with plum tomatoes. I swear my onions, mushrooms and a red pepper while Browning the mince. Drain the mince and throw it all together with about 4/5 crushed garlic cloves. Then I add my secret blend of spices and feed it wine as it simmers.

that looks delicious.

Yeah I don't like using 80 20, you have to skim. I usually use finely ground 90 10 but the traditional mix of veal pork and beef is leaner than 80 20 so I'm fine with it.

Yup, cant stand when people let the meat sit and you get dry ass lumps of ground meat.

That sounds like the worst bolognese i can imagine.

that's like how my aunt cooks. costco marinara, chunks of sausage. wallaw.

You're a fat cunt. The sauce will taste completely of cheddar

>Drain the mince
Why

>not mixing pasta and sauce before serving

TRIGGERED

Americans...

Celery leaf and finely diced carrots.

Not wanting to be able to adjust your sauce:noodle consumption ratio as you eat
It's not hard to see why the rest of the world is so far behind us, sometimes.

I don't like it oily. I like it rich.

add a couple anchovy filets and a splash of vodka

Olive oil, mirepoix, mince, tomatoes, stock. Add salt, pepper, nutmeg, and bay leaves to taste.
Let it simmer uncovered for a long while, until it's reduced down to a thick sauce. The more liquid you add, the longer it'll take to evaporate it all off.

It needs to be reduced more.

What does Veeky Forums think about my tagliatelle al ragù?
(I've already posted this pic before, but I've making it exactly the same for quite a while. It always looks more or less like this.)

looks dry and bit boring
did you forget the tomato?

This, really. I'm expecting to see a more reddish color from tomato, and also some seasonings. I can't even see a single speck of herbs or pepper in that photo.

U have to use milk instead of water and simmer it for 6 Hours or longer
also you should have a well balanced and nice diced Sofrito as your base as well as good beef stock also the tomatos are really important i try to get San Marzanos

tiny bit of mughali meat masala. not even kidding. its also great for chili con carne.

secret to the meaty taste is very finely chopped chicken liver, secret to make any shitty sauce taste like a restaurantdish is saucing your pasta

>a bit undercooked into saucepan with some sauce
>add splash cooking water,highest heat all the time
>add butter+parm stirring vigorously
>add more water if too thick, keep stirring til emulsified

The milk.

Try adding it after the wine and tomato. Will curdle more evenly and thicker.

Folowing the recipe.

Shit's easy, dude.

Ingredients, minus the olive oil / butter for cooking.

Sweat the soffrito till the onions are translucent with just a pinch of salt to help draw out moisture.

Adding a little fish sauce works really well in a tomato sauce. It might be good in a Bolognese as well

Whoops...fucked that up.

The FIRST thing you do is brown your panchetta. Then use the rendered fats to sweat your soffrito. My bad OP.

i did this and it was fucking perfect

So it goes:
1. Panchetta
2. Soffrito
3. Beef

Add the wine after the beef is browned and cook out.

It's a really good stand alone sauce as is, but most people will miss the usual shit people throw in their "spaghetti sauces", like oregano, garlic, basil, or whatever, and of course, it doesn't have all the tomato sauce most are familiar with.

Add the tomato, stir it in, and reduce to simmer.

You're going to want to simmer this for a good 3 hours minimum. Top it up with the beef stock as needed, and about an hour and a half before you want to finish it, start adding the milk 1/3 at a time every half hour.....or you could just dump it in an hour before finish time if you aren't that anal.

Pic: (L) after simmering with beef stock added (middle) adding milk (r) milk stirred in to finish

shouldn't the garlic go in for 30 sec or so before the tomatoes? otherwise it doesn't get direct heat

After 3 hours, it's good to go and you can use it for whatever.

pic related: (L) sauce is done after 3 hours (Middle) tagliatelle al Bolognese (r) lasagna

I lived in Italy for 3 years while in the Army, and this sauce is pretty much what you'd find in any given northern Trattoria, but they just label it as "ragu", and not "Bolognese".

Use it as is, or as a base to add your own shit. Good luck.

>add a couple anchovy filets
That's my secret

Good job, mang.

A little bit of worcestershire sauce

no NO, you're ABSOLUTELY right. Never cook the garlic for any time at all. And use Spanish garlic. Sorry I wasn't clear there. Red garlic is the only garlic that doesn't taste like rancid cat piss 90% of the time.

bolognese is brown, not red

There is such a thing as the official, definitive sauce Bolognese/ragú recipe:

itchefs-gvci.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=587&Itemid=976

this, people always forget celery

You need to cook out the wine ideally, use it to deglaze the pan

Dayum. That's a tasty-ass looking sauce.

Treat your bolognese like a braise.

Put it in the oven and cook it low and slow, don't simmer it on the stovetop.

Also, anchovies or a little fish sauce like some other people have mentioned

do you guys boil your tomatoes before pureeing them? or do you just use a food processor outright?

As opposed to what? A desert Bolognese?

Maybe put it in the oven? Anyone tried that?

looks great. i've written this down

I'm not Italian and I really don't know for sure but I have this suspicion that the use of celery stalks is only due to bad translation. Celeriac, that ugly root thing, gives much better results IMO.

Wow, you are literally a retard. We use celery because onions, carrots and celery together form part of the base for any simmered dish in Italian and French cuisine.

Red wine in the sauce is important. And tagliatelle >>>> spaghetti

I have made Bolognese with brunoised celeriac because I didn't have stalks, it's not bad at all. Makes for a very piquant taste.

You sound like you don't even know celeriac.

>Celeriac, that ugly root thing, gives much better results IMO.
I also prefer it that way. I rarely use celery stalks at all.

It looks like a soup.

>You sound like you don't even know celeriac.

You sound like you've never heard of a mirepoix or soffrito....

>I know basic culinary terms
Tell me more, Chef.

>I don't know basic culinary terms but will shitpost regardless

Itt: people call tomato meat sauce "bolognese." Why would you guys do that when you know perfectly well that actually bolognese is not a tomato sauce? I know you guys know this because there are threads about it all the time.

The most important part is the so called "Soffritto". The second most important part is the type of tomatoe you use. I use San Marzano. If you can get them, use them.

anyone know how long something like this will keep in the freezer?

If you're adding tomatoes, it isn't bolognese, faggot.

And real bolognese is without, well, spaghetti. Who cares.

The real italian ragù classico bolognese is in fact WITH tomatoes. No matter what you dipshit have to say. Go ask the Accademia Italiana della Cucina in Bologna.

Weeks...months.

The official Italian Bolognese recipe is posted in this very thread, dumb ass.

See:

So you're telling me in Italy they don't use any form of herb or salt/pepper?

theirs is good because it's made in a factory and then purchased in bulk
try that

Fuck who translated this?

Salt and pepper are both listed on the ingredients list.

Grate carrot and celery and sweat it with some chopped onion. Throw in garlic and dried oregano, then your beef. Once the onions are a bit golden you can toss in your well roasted cherry and plum tomatoes. Let it simmer and add some sliced fresh basil in the last 5 minutes. Wa la