>don't have cilantro (climate too hot)
>make a lot of dishes without it
>mexican is by far the best cuisine I have ever tried
>find cilantro
>can't wait to make some mexican food with it
>put a shit load of it in my salsa
>realise that it kinda tastes like stink bugs
>fuck me

From what I have read cilantro is an acquired taste. Is this true? Should I keep putting it in my food in small doses and eventualy I will like it? I really wanna like it because as I said I love mexican food and cilantro is a big part of most 'recipes'. Help por favor.

It's a genetic thing. For some people cilantro tastes like soap. For other people it doesn't have that soapy taste.

Be aware that cilantro can easily overpower a dish. I like it, but even so I'm very careful with how much I use. Salsa can be especially insidious because the cilantro flavor gets stronger over time. If you make fresh salsa and you add cilantro until it tastes right it will become a cilantro bomb as it sits for a few hours. For many dishes with cilantro add less than you think you might need because the flavor will become much stronger as the dish sits or cooks.

A decent salsa or pico is kinda like a macaroni salad or potato salad, best made 24 hours before you want to eat it.

Cilantro kinda bleeds into a dish over a day and becomes eatable, but it needs that time. I'm not really a big fan of it, and I find it retarded as a garnish, but it has it's uses.

This. I go out to eat every Thursday with a couple of friends. One friend and I both love this Mexican place because they put cilantro in everything, but the other dude hates it and says it tastes like soap.

I would be careful about using a "shitload" I love the stuff, but it can be pretty overpowering.

OP knew that. This is a bit thread. A mild, well constructed bait thread, but still one.

He knew this and your reply is exactly what he wanted.

I think I must have the genetic thing s well as I hate the stuff. I've found good results replacing it with flat leaf parsley where required.

To me, a salsa without coriander (cilantro) is trash.

>climate too hot
Where the fuck do you live user?
It grows in my sister's yard like a weed. She can't get rid of it fast enough.
In Phoenix Arizona

So, if I let it sit will taste less than stink bugs?

Also for anyone reading my main question is this: Will I get used to it?

If it's too hot cilantro is prone to bolting/going to seed.

Yep, that's why they don't sell it here.
Greece.

This is true. I live in the south and we grow it. It starts coming on in the fall (it reseeds itself) and wee get as much as we can use through the winter and spring. But it goes to seed at the end of spring and we can't get it to grow in the hot summer. I'm making Tom Yum Gai tonight and I'll just have to do without the cilantro.

No. Cilantro taste is one of these weird DNA-defined thing. Either you have the gene and like it from the start, or you don't and it'll always taste weird. It tastes like soap to me.

Soap is manmade
Is the flavor not also included into soap in order to make it more pleasant, if so why have so much roundabout whining about this
Is this so confusing I heard similar complaining about rootbeer
Really what gives

How the fuck do you know what stink bugs taste like?

OP here. Because I ate stink bugs. I also tried my own poop but it was too bitter to put on my gyros.

Definitely it tastes nearly identical to how stink bugs smelt when they sprayed you and I didn't like it at first but after I turned 13 I now love it.
I figure some people just don't like interesting flavours.

i find cilantro to taste a bit soapy and i still think its one of the greatest herbs ever made

This
Not sure what the supposedly 'normal' taste is suppose to be like but I love it regardless.

So it IS an acquired taste
Today I cooked it without the stems and it was really nice.
Anyway, thanks for your help, everyone. I'll go back to /adv/ now.

If you find the cilantro overpowering it's a sign you have too little chilies in there.

>>don't have cilantro (climate too hot)
What the fuck? Mexico is literally 120 degrees and they can grow the shit just fine.