Burgers

Require advice, Veeky Forums. Am doing a burger cookoff on saturday, and I'm going to use a garlic and dill mayo I've mixed up. I want to incorporate horseradish as well, should I mix it in the mayo or into the ground beef? And is it a good idea to mix mustard into the beef? I'm going for strong, bold flavors, while trying to keep it simple.

Ainsley unrelated.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iM_KMYulI_s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'd put it into the beef, but what else are you putting in the beef?

Salt, pepper, and egg to hold it together.

youtube.com/watch?v=iM_KMYulI_s

I'd put it in the mayonnaise. If you use 80/20 ground beef you won't need to add egg either. You are under a typical misconception that you need binders in a hamburger. No quality burger ever has additions like that. Just salt and pepper while it's grilling.

That's actually the very same template I'm using.

Salt, pepper, egg and mustard mix into the meat. Mayonaise should be added as a topping.

Yeah I feel that horseradish would go well with garlic and dill, but I wasn't sure if it would be too much. And wouldn't the egg add a bit more taste in the meat as well as binding it? Was planning on a 90% lean meat.

Neither.
You make a burger, not some hipster it could be vegan starbucks sandwich where you have to put strong flavors into your stuff to hide the fact that your ingredients are "not for human consumption" tier garbage.

>get a fucking A grade ribeye or entrecote
>hand scrape that awesome piece of meat
>pepper & salt
>mix and hand form a patty
>throw on the grill
>medium or medium rare
>serve in a home made fresh brioche bun with a nice lettuce leaf (if you need it fancy mix green and red), a slice of tomato and freshly chopped onions (sautée onions are acceptable if you feel fancy)
>keep it rather small, if you need cutlery to eat a burger it isn't a burger

You just made the winning burger as it's the only burger that doesn't taste like someone drowned it in fucking ranch.

Best of luck buddy.

Thanks but there will be points for originality. I will be sure to go fairly light on the mayo though.

Run some chopped white onions through a food processor, dump them into a clean kitchen cloth or cheese cloth, wring the juice out, and mix into your beef. Roughly 1 medium onion's worth per pound. Little salt and pepper too like you said. That's my best recipe, no binder required.

those burgers are too thick and putting the lettuce on the bottom is fucking cancerous.

>no pickles

kek you have NO STANDING in this courtroom

Oh okay, well then it sounds like a ok plan.
The actual problem is that your 3 "signature" ingredients are very dominant on the palate. So you won't taste much more then Garlic, horseradish and dill.

You pretty much picked the Mediterranean sea region coverup for in summer almost gone over meat by adding a dominant and a hot component to go over the slightly foul taste.
>that's why chili and garlic are so dominant in the entire regions kitchen

You could take the horseradish "fire" factor down by slicing it up and salt it very strongly about 2h before using it. Just keep in mind to under salt your patty else it's like biting into a mountain of salt.

put the horseradish into the mayo

people will hate you if they can't separate the beef taste from the horseradish taste

I'd add the horseradish to the mayo, just before you put the burgers on - you want it to permeate, but not weaken.

What kind of mustard are you using? If you're thinking about dry mustard, prepare it first, and let it sit for ten mins before adding to the burgers, again 10-15 before cooking. You want it to permeate, but not weaken. If you're using something like dijon, I'd just crust it with it (coat the top side, let it set a little bit before flipping).

Add a healthy amount of black or white pepper, I'd suggest a bit of dark soya or worcestershire unless you can guarantee a proper sear on the beef without overcooking. Salt liberally, and I'd say use garlic butter, or tarragon-shallot butter on the buns before a light toasting.

If cheese is an option, I'd go with something mildly blue. Stilton/Danesbourg are going to be TOO bold.

>garlic and dill

use lamb

Dont garlic the mayo; bake it and puré instead.
Top bun
Garlic puré (will be sweet and mild)
Tomato
Patty (regular)
Mayo (dill and horseradish sounds good, but go low on the spices. Let it draw for a few days so you know what it'll taste maybe)
Lettuce or grilled cabbage
Mustard
Bottom bun

Use Worsteshire

you can flip the burger over and eat it that way you autist

it keeps the bottom bun from getting soggy, also the weight of the burger keeps the lettuce down

I was planning on using pickled horseradish actually, I've never used the fresh root and I'm not going to risk it here. Will still go easy on the salt.

Righto, will add it to the mayo.

Will definitely butter the buns before toasting on the grill, same with the red onion slices, as Gordon does it.

As for the cheese I was planning on using dill havarti, but now that you mention it a blue might be a better option. Although desu I'm trying to take my burger in a more Nordic direction, so maybe i should consider fontina or jarlsberg instead.

>autistic for having an opinion

you don't want to fucking 'keep the lettuce down'. it is there for texture. that will get fucked up if you cook it with heat and grease. plus you don't want it to be the first thing your tongue comes in contact with. you don't taste the burger when your tongue is covered in tomato. use a sauce as a moisture barrier.

Oh, and for mustard I want the strongest stuff I can find. Probably Lowensenf.

Well I've already fixed the mayo with garlic in it, added two cloves to about 12 ounces of mayo with about three tablespoons of dill.

you also dont want the last thing in your mouth a bunch of veggies

and trying to flip all that shit on at the end is stupid

but you sit there as your burger is getting cold and plate your fucking buns, we'll be eating

>you also dont want the last thing in your mouth a bunch of veggies

that's flawed thinking. everything goes in your mouth at the same time. it all gets chewed up together in the end. when the lettuce is on the top, you're crunching it with your top teeth, which is more satisfying for a number of reasons you're probably too much of a retard to understand, and the bitterness/water comes through AFTER your goodness is coated in rich savoury goodness. when it serves as a barrier between your tongue and the burger it stops you from tasting the burger as much. it's not like the water and fat is emulsifying on your tongue - you have to displace the water if you want to taste the meat.

i don't know what the fuck you're trying to argue about assembly of the burger. you just put the burger on the bun then put the lettuce on top. i actually usually put sauce on the top bun and use it to kind of lightly glue a mound of lettuce down then flip it on. it takes less than a second.