Is Publix any good?

I'm in NY. I used to live in AZ. I've never seen a Publix, but I keep hearing you clowns go on about it and the ROTW dork recently shot his mouth off about one of their subs. Back in AZ there is a grocery store called Basha's, which had a decent deli, sometimes. Quality varied from store to store. In NY we have a grocery store called Wegman's and their subs are GOAT, but are they? Can I call the Danny's Favorite the greatest sub of all time if I've never tried Publix? Who has had both and what is the answer?

Wegman's

Publix is the the tits. Just don't talk about it all the time. It's like if Walmart and Whole foods had a baby.

Thank you for your insightful and wise analysis of the question at hand. I will consider your input and reply accordingly in the future. Again, thank you

They're really, really overpriced. Like, 30% more for everything across the board compared to Kroger. BUT, they have some amazing chocolate glazed donuts. Best I've ever had. Still, only middle-high class soccor moms actually do all their grocery shopping there. Absolute financial irresponsibility.

Oh, it's also like fucking sesame street because everyone wishes you a good day and smiles at you when you walk past them. I was there last week, and this 80 year old bagger insisted he help me to the car. It's like nigga, you are 80 years old, please sit down and relax. My spry, youthful legs can get my bags to my car just fine. Holy shit. I felt bad for that guy.

How is it anything like Walmart?

le academic pepe

they're not really the best at anything except for maybe customer service. It is just a good combination of product selection - too expensive for poor people
and too cheap for rich people. this leads to a tolerable customer base. Don't have to deal with walmart poor people or whole foods cunts. soccer moms go to whole foods and target.

the subs are just ok

A Lucky's market is getting built near me, might start going there instead.

It's not that it's overpriced, it's just in comparable markets Kroger tries to undercut any competition they come across.

You'd have to shop mostly around sales to remain at a thrifty price though, but usually it's priced competitively and never really intended to be the cheapest.

Pub subs aren't DA BESS but they're pretty dang good, and they usually have a sub on sale for like $5 for a whole sub, pretty good deal, I'll order one online while I'm at work and then just run across the street and pick it up. Boar's Head meat ain't worth it unless it's on sale.
They're not SUPER overpriced, but I'll pay the extra ten cents for milk if it means I don't have to go to a shithole like Winn Dixie or Walmart.

Publix Protips:
Only buy stuff that is BOGO each week if you can help it. Also if you only buy one item they will just make it 50% off. Here is the secret pro tip for Publix. When you have enough items in your cart they are obligated by store code to offer to bring your cart to the car. If you agree, they are obligated to give you a coupon for free stuff for your next visit.

>Also if you only buy one item they will just make it 50% off
Georgia only

It isn't that overpriced, but I'm a cheapass and the difference is enough to keep me at Walmart. I have no problems with Walmart's produce and the prepackaged stuff is all the same. If I made 60K+ a year, I'd probably shop there for the more pleasant experience and higher quality meat+produce.

If you're actually concerned about price you should probably shop at a whole sale mart and plan ahead.

Sounds like Publix and Wegman's have the same clientele and business model. Wegman's subs are really good though.

Ever been to one? They literally price check Walmart and have signs on shelf saying "cheaper than Walmart".

Satisfy your curiosity Europe? Please don't respond in American threads.

So let me get this straight little squirt, youre saying its like Walmart because the prices are so low?

>Little squirt

Is that the name of your dick? Yes they price compete, but also offer higher quality stuff.

The Publix near me isnt anything like Walmart.

Wegman's is better, on a whole.
I lived in the north my whole life and recently moved to Florida, though pub subs are a definite stop for me, I do miss the variety at the Wegman's market.

You're the guy I was looking for.
All you're buying is a sub and you can pick between the two, where do you go and why?

Publix hands down

Got a diarrhea from a pubsub last year, havent been to a publix since.

1/5 decent sub

Publix is my favourite grocery to shop at but I'm a poorfag so I only go for their meat and anything miscellanious I can't get at Aldi. I also check the weekly ads in advance so I can plan to get anything I might need from their sale items. Depending on how you time it you can get things way cheaper from Publix than you would ordinarily or elsewhere. Their coupon system is pretty great as well but I don't really bother with it since I just get my stuff cheaper from other places anyway.

Their subs are definitely better than Jimmy John's or Subway or anything comparable, but I'm pretty loathe to buy a goddamn sandwich from anywhere if I can avoid it. I like their

Florida does 50% for one item as well.

Was it the chicken tenders sub? That happens to me too which is why I usually get the italian and try to be moderate with the amount of peppers I put on it. I can only really blame myself though since if you're eating that much fried food you should know what your body can handle.

>go to Publix
>buy papa rellenas

Who here /paparellenas/?

That transparent part of his arm is good stuff. High quality.

>Florida does 50% for one item as well.

Fake news. BOGOs ring up full price for one item. 10 for $10s, etc are still just a $1 each.

>yfw the chicken tendies sub is on sale this week

I've had both. Wegmans is the better overall grocery store, publix has better subs.

tfw the place I currently live in has neither.

>he doesn't get bogos at his shit publix

mine does, up in north florida

Better subs than Wegman's? For real? I'll be sure to test this next time I'm down in the Confederate States.

I should've also stated that I'm no sub connoisseur, and have had more publix subs than wegmans despite living by a wegmans for over a decade and a publix for only half a year. The time I was near a publix though cooking was more difficult for me so I went there often for subs.

I work at publix I can answer your questions to the best of my ability
wegmans sux

the subs really are great

You've never heard of Wegman's before today

What you describe is internally called "Dynamic Salesmanship". Every employee follows the "10 by 10 rule". "Within 10 feet or 10 seconds, you must say hello to the person, coworker or customer". The intention is twofold, but is mostly to help lower unknown shrink via theft. For genuine customers it's supposed to foster a friendly atmosphere where people seem eager to help. For potential shoplifters, it's supposed to unnerve them and make them feel as if they're being watched.
The bagger was following the "2 by 2 rule". "Two hands on the cart, two steps towards the door, 'would like some help out today?'" Management gets you hard if you don't do it, they're ruthless to baggers.

no, the stupid fucking new yorkers and northerners who flock to my city and store every year never shut the fuck up about it

>'would like some help out today?'"
would *you*

Publix is expensive, but shopping there is so much more pleasant than going to Kroger I put up with it. Also their subs really are good.

You're right, it depends on the store. I had forgotten since it's been a while. Like the publix in my old ratchet neighbourhood didn't do it because the only other grocery for 10 miles was a walmart and another publix. The one near me now does it though.

the new(er) publixes feel very strange and copy-paste. It's hard to describe.
Compared to the one I work at, they feel very fake and that all the people are just going through the motions, and that they're just another grocery store instead of a Publix; where as everyone at my store is actually genuine and there's real personality to the people

Be mindful of sale signs that don't list a sale price, but just say "Surprisingly LOW Price". There's a chance it's not even discounted.
For example, in Seafood (my department), tuna select cuts are on sale for $9.99 each. The normal price? $9.99
I laughed like a motherfucker when I first saw them pull that shit on our internal ad.

ayyy didn't mean to quote

Kek, sup Satan

>Florida does 50% for one item as well.
K gonna reveal my Publix shill level here, but I am a CS manager there and that is only a policy in Georgia stores.

The "Surprisingly LOW Price" is actually the default text displayed in the print shop program if you want to make a sign for something.

That is strange, it must depend on the area or something.

It's probably just location. If it's not in an area with a decent sense of community it's natural that it'll feel more impersonal. Thats funny about the signs though, I'll keep it in mind.

Their fried chicken is better than the fried chicken made by actual chicken restaurants

More expensive and less selection than Kroger, but their store-brand Greek yogurt is good. Also I hate how the baggers always try to push your groceries to your car for you, nigga I'm in better shape than you are.

Thank you for admitting that you have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

Yeah man! They Use Boars Head meats on their subs!

If that isn't upper-crust living at a working-class price, I don't know what is.

Publix's store brand stuff really is on par with, or even better than name brands a lot of the time
The "coarse ground Dijon mustard" blows ass though

Bruh we literally have a sign in our break room that tells us Wegmans is worth more per share than publix, and that it's a bad thing. We all know about it

Huh.
I only heard about Publix on Veeky Forums.You actually have a sign in your break room about Wegman's?

>friendly atmosphere where people seem eager to help.

I can't be the only one that hates that shit. Every god damn walmart and petco is turning into a used car lot.
>"Hi, can I --"
>"I'm just looking"
>"Oh,my my name is Tom and if"
>"Just looking, Tom. I'm fine"
>"Well, if you need anything, here's my card --"
>"GOD DAMMIT TOM JUST FUCK OFF"

We hate doing it as much as you hate hearing it, trust me.

I try to keep it as short as possible, you're there to buy seafood not hear my life story

daily reminder any sandwhich that's prepacked was either made at like 5am in the morning when they first opened, or left over from teh night before

also the meats and cheeses used might have been cut the night before as well

just so you know

source:ive worked in various delis for over 5 years and seen all the corners cut, including repackaging foods with a new date

cutting mold off the hard cheese and repackaging, ect...

my suggestion is to NEVER purchase anything that's made in-house of a grocery store except the fried chicken

and possibly the dozen glazed donuts from the bakery only because those are fresh and usually pretty damn good for the price

only time i ever ate a sandwhich was when i made them myself and would actually cut from a new ham/turkey or make sure it was a good and done right

also one other thing i left out, outside of myself when i worked at stop n shop i would never trust the cleanliness of the meat cutters either

i would actually clean them with the floor cleaning materials each night, using all 3 cleaning ingridients, those fucking blades were the cleanest in the nation id put my fucking life on it

I'm gonna have to refute the meat department bit, we work very hard to make sure everything is spotless and sanitized. You know those little computer guns? We have to log in to them every four hours to track when we clean everything. If we miss one, we get a very prompt, very angry email from the district manager himself

Also if you go to a busy store like the one I work at, the sandwiches are made roughly every two to three hours

didnt include the meat department

also dont tell me about busy, when i worked at S&S like 15 years ago the deli department was the number 1 revenue generator of the entire store, we were getting paid 10 dollars and hour and were able to wear the white meat/seafood jackets and didnt have to wear stupid hats, so we could wear any normal shirt underneath, plus jeans and any shoes, could have facial hair as well and no hair nets or beard guards, our union was great

Who the fuck buys prepackaged sandwiches? They make them to order at Wegman's

Shut the fuck up with your ghetto stop n shop already, publix doesn't cut mold off cheese and repackage it you scumbag.

>union
Go back to pleddit you filthy fucking commie.

Error: Our system thinks your post is spam. Please reformat and try again.

Fucking commie bots

Error: Our system thinks your post is spam. Please reformat and try again.

Seriously? What is this bullshit!?

Nope
t. South Carolina

It sucks. I work at Publix, and they really expect the baggers to put two hands on your cart, take two steps towards the door, and ask you where to go. It's their own courtesy that makes them feel "this is wrong" and ask you beforehand if you'd like help out, Publix policy and training videos say you're supposed to take control because it's excellent service. Regardless if they have a baby in the seat, their open purse in the seat, if you're a girl and it's a big guy with maybe two bags of items.

Policy also says we have to small talk you, recognize what's in your cart, stop what we're doing to lead you to your item, and then thank you for shopping at publix. It's a big fucking hassle, inefficient, and costs more man hours/money than it brings in.

Oh forgot to add it in my post, but I do 99% of my shopping at walmart. Not worth it to pay 50 (or more) cents extra per item, that shit adds up. Safeway and Target are very similar in price too, and Winn-Dixie can be up there even though it's a worse walmart.