I need a good knife...

I need a good knife. Are there really good chefs knifes worth buying that are under $100 or is it just worth it to bite the bullet?

"good" means being able to take and hold a good edge before anything else

you don't need to exceed $100 on the knife for that

what costs more is ergonomics, profile, fit and finish, and beyond a certain level, bragging rights that you have a knife by so and so

So what would you suggest then as general comfort and holds a solid edge?

Also, not OP and my tiny hands hate Chef's Knives, so do you have a suggestion for Santoku?

My problem is that I bought a faberware ceramic knife and that thing has difficulty cutting through bacon, chicken, and citrus. What is a good knife that I can get then?

if the length of the blade has something to do with your hands being awkward you're doing something wrong. My wife is 5'1" and uses a 300mm gyutou every day

It's a piece of metal. Literally. Get a cheapo steal knife and get it sharpened.

>get it sharpened
does your mother still do your laundry?

Your mom does my laundry ;D

so that's a yes

I like my Mercer Renaissance 8 inch

Just buy a good knife

Get carbon steel if you can

My mummy tucks me in

Its a knife.
It cuts.
Different knifes can cut differently
Easier to clean, easier on the hand (but who gives a fuck its not like your sitting at a desk all day having to chop things up unless you've got something to hide from the police), slightly better balance, ostensible ability to clean better (but how hard is a fucking knife to clean?) and just pure aesthetics.
OR, and this is important, it can be snake oil or a very, very specialized type of knife.
The most reliable knife you're going to get, the main stay of your cooking profile is going to be the chef's knife.
Other than that, just get like a pairing knife and maybe a steak knife. I have one of those sensei slicer knives by some bizarre twist of fate and I've liked using it for some things (even though it acts funny for some things), so maybe get a good medium between pairing and a chef's knife too.

If OP is just starting cooking - which I imagine OP is - I don't see why he would need to sharpen a brand new knife?
I've never sharpened mine yet and I've had it for some time now. Cooked some good shit.
Nice, sturdy run-of-the-mill-looking Carved Hall stainless steal chef's knife that my parents gave me.

Forgot my image.
Really though, the only in this image that matters is the chef's knife.
Just get something that looks like that and then get like a medium knife-y looking knife and a small knife-y looking knife and you're done.

>all that matters is the chef's knife
I meant to say all that matters is the chef's knife AND the paring knife.

>Mercer Renaissance 8 inch
>$38 in America
>$95 in Canada

WTF, it makes no sense even after applying exchange rate (1 USD ~= 1.28 CAD).

I've done pretty good with just a big chef's knife, a weird 6" chef's knife and some kind of small non-serrated fruit/steak knife.

What is it with Japan and kitchen knives?
I swear like 90% of the good knives I've seen are produced in Japan.
Is this some kind of samurai pride shit?

That is weird. I know they'll price things differently in different countries, but a pricing difference like that between the United States and Canada seems extremely odd to me, considering that the United States and Canada are nearly the same fucking place in terms of culture, location, exchange rate, etc..

>ikea
>you have to assemble the knife yourself

I really like my victorinox forschner fibrox chefs knife

victorinox chefs knife.

I've collected knives and worked as a chef for 8 years. If you're not interested enough in knives that you're asking this question, a more expensive knife with either be a rip off or more trouble than it's worth. Victorinox is easier to sharpen than vg10's, harder to damage, cheap enough to afford, comfortable enough to use easily, and a trusted and established brand.

Mercer 10"chef or a mercer santoku (think its only in 8")

Just buy a Victorino chef knife and paring knife

Fuck fibrox handles though get the rosewood

I hate stainless knives with plastic handles they feel dead in your hand where carbon knives with wood handles feel alive

What knives does every home cook need? I have a utility, bread knife, and santoku currently? Presumably a fillet knife but what else?

What's the top knife? A Güde?

That is not a boning knife in your pic, it's longer than than the friggin' chef's knife. It's a meat slicer.

Those IKEA 365+ knives are actually pretty good. Comfortable in the hand, properly thin geometry right out of the box, keeps a decent edge, too. You will be hard pressed to find better value for 20€. One of the best bargains in my 70-piece workhorse chef's knives collection.

Nice knives and cutting board, this user appreciates good tools.

>carbon steel
>have to wipe after each use
>then when done chopping, have to clean and dry immediately or risk rusting

no

Victorinox 8 in chef's knife
It's the one I bring to work with me that is sharp enough to get any job done but cheap and durable enough that I'm not worried about others using it. It gets passed around like a two dollar whore, but it works like a champ.

Samefag guerrilla marketing.

Just get a good knife that doesn't seem like it will break FFS.
If you're not a pro chef who mutilates pans on a regular basis, who cares

Just don't buy into carbon steel or Damascus meme.
Stainless steel all the way.