The Beyond Burger

I tried the Beyond Burger at Whole Foods today with a vegan friend of mine today and was expecting it to be disgusting. But I literally could not tell that it wasn't meat. The cheese was like real cheese too. How the fuck do they do it? If this shit wasn't so expensive I could eat it every day and not even realize I was vegan.

Other urls found in this thread:

choosemyplate.gov/tips-vegetarians
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27886704/
nhs.uk/Livewell/Vegetarianhealth/Pages/Vegandiets.aspx
daa.asn.au/smart-eating-for-you/smart-eating-fast-facts/healthy-eating/vegan-diets-facts-tips-and-considerations/
health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/becoming-a-vegetarian
bda.uk.com/foodfacts/vegetarianfoodfacts.pdf
nhmrc.gov.au/guidelines-publications/n55
seriouseats.com/2016/10/beyond-burger-impossible-burger-vegan-taste-test.html
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5133111/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Beyond what?

I've heard of these guys. I really need to check them out, considering I'm actually a vegetarian.
It's a vegan burger made using vegetable heme to get that bloody meat taste.

IDK man. Beyond my comprehension.

Yeah, you should. I actually ended up buying the patties myself because 1. they taste fucking good and 2. I'm really curious how they cook and everything.

Gonna make my own at home. Forget what kind of vegan cheese they used though so I didn't get that.

Building a burger thats >50% non-meat is a mistake

I don't understand people who are so close-minded about this. Why you put your identity into your food like this is so fucking weird to me. If it tastes good, who cares if it's made from an animal or not? Why does it have to be an argument for you guys, as if it makes you better or more macho for eating animals instead of plants? I'm sorry but it's fucking lame.

Do they get the greasiness/fat right? Or is it lean trash?

your hypocrisy is mindblowing

Not him but why do vegetarians try to imitate meat so much? I thought they were trying to get away from meat? Or is this something that meat eaters can use to lower their meat consumption. Not opposed to this, I eat meat but I have nothing against veges.

>If it tastes good
To me it doesn't.
Lettuce, usually iceberg, is tasteless a filler. Tomatoes are too wet.
I love onions and pickles though.

I thought the point of iceberg was the texture, not the flavour. It is slightly sweet though.

And people think that McChicken and Monster marketing is bad, this thread takes the cake

I actually tried one last night at a party, it was interesting. definitely better than any other fake meat burger. it's pea protein isolate from what I read on the label

Many vegetarians aren't vegetarians because they abhor the taste of meat. It's usually for health, environmental or ethical reasons. I myself would be happy to eat e.g. lab-grown meat, if it were any good of course.

Does this come with pickles on it?

Would try it, had a ridiculously good vegan meal in Prague some weeks back and it made me curious to try more vegan stuff. Dont think Ill go vegetarian anytime soon though, but I am trying on cutting back a tad. Very skeptical of vegan cheese however.

>The Beyond Burger contained 20 grams of protein and had no soy, no gluten, no GMOS, zero cholesterol, and half the saturated fat of an 80/20 beef burger.

>However it contained five times as much sodium as unseasoned hamburger meat patty and one dietician argued that the processing of the vegetarian ingredients could cause loss of valuable nutrients.

nty

>It's a vegan burger made using vegetable heme to get that bloody meat taste.

You're actually thinking of the Impossible Burger. The Beyond Burger doesn't use vegetable heme - I believe they use beets for the color.

You ever hear the phrase "making the perfect the enemy of the good"?

Meat, yes; beef, no. If it was cheaper, it'd be a good alternative to Spam. It even tastes especially good with pineapple the way Spam does.

Have you actually tried it? It tastes like beef. Like a high quality burger. Absolutely nothing like Spam.

>Have you actually tried it?

No, I went to the trouble of buying it, cooking it, and topping it with pineapple, took a guess about how that all worked and then threw it away without tasting it first, obviously.

>it tastes like beef

No, it doesn't.

>Like a high quality burger

It tastes even less like high-quality beef than it does like regular beef from the grocery store.

>Absolutely nothing like Spam

The Beyond Burger gets its meaty taste from the same flavorings used to season canned meat. These seasonings taste different from the way fresh meat seasoned with salt alone does.

>The Beyond Burger gets its meaty taste from the same flavorings used to season canned meat.

like what

Yeast extracts, fermented plant material, herb and spice oleoresins and isolated aromatic compounds. "Natural flavors."

Am I the only one who likes the Beyond Burger BETTER than a regular hamburger?

yes

>Why you put your identity into your food like this is so fucking weird to me.

That's some serious projection right there

Of course not. There are plenty of vegans who also like the Beyond Burger better.

>It's usually for health

Vegan diets aren't healthy.
Go fuck yourself, homosexual.

>vegan shilling
I've had this. Twice. It's decent but it's absolutely not meat, the only people saying "its indistinguishable!" are the ones who haven't had meat in a decade. Just like when veggie patties finally got good people insisted you couldnt tell.

Its decent but its nothing like the real deal.

>Vegan diets aren't healthy.

The US department of agriculture
choosemyplate.gov/tips-vegetarians

US Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27886704/

British nation health service
nhs.uk/Livewell/Vegetarianhealth/Pages/Vegandiets.aspx

Dietitians Association of Australia
daa.asn.au/smart-eating-for-you/smart-eating-fast-facts/healthy-eating/vegan-diets-facts-tips-and-considerations/

Harvard medical school
health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/becoming-a-vegetarian

Association of British dieticians
bda.uk.com/foodfacts/vegetarianfoodfacts.pdf

and Australian national health and medical research commitee
nhmrc.gov.au/guidelines-publications/n55

disagree with you.

But I wish you luck with leaving the closet, angryfag.

hahahahahahahaha

I can pick articles which state that smoking is good for the heart.

Doesn't mean it is, nigger.

Enjoy your 50g of fiber a day though.

>lacking animal protein
>good

Don't even need to read the article.
Try again.

Do these cost an arm and a leg like everything else at Whole Foods?

>didn't even glance cursorily at the sources

>guys it has 20g of protein! muh ebin bodybuilding :^)
>oh no! pea protein isn't an incomplete protein! they're lying!
the protein in these things just end up being empty calories

Show me a modern study by real scientists that show smoking is good for the heart

>But I literally could not tell that it wasn't meat.
I could tell.
>The cheese was like real cheese too.
Yea, nope.
>How the fuck do they do it?
Processing with mushroomy yeast extract, smoke flavoring, legume protein, lots of sodium, highly distributed pockets of oil to mimic beef fat (at usual ratios of 15-25%) and added iron to mimic blood taste. It has cellulose (you know, like a sponge), indigestible fiber to hold it all together.
>If this shit wasn't so expensive I could eat it every day and not even realize I was vegan.
Ehh. It's still highly processed food. I'd go over and get the wagyu beef instead or just get some coarser ground sirloin.

I think this is a good article about it:
seriouseats.com/2016/10/beyond-burger-impossible-burger-vegan-taste-test.html

If a person's palate is kind of shit about beef and you're happy with taking in a bunch of bean protein, then there's simply nothing wrong with the Boca burger grillers, which are identical to mcdonalds. If I am going to have ANY fake burger, it'll be a falafel instead.

No. You can't.

I go with what Jeremy Clarckson said, It's not bad, but It's also not what you want from a burger. I would eat it again If I have a craving for it, but if I want a meaty and juicy burger, I will get a burger.

I merely picked the dietary boards most official/most accredited/most commonly cited in peer reviewed literature. If you have an insane hatred for the USA, Britain and Australia, then look at the national boards of Spain, New Zealand, Canada and a hundred other boards probably.

I didn't cite articles nor pick and choose. These organizations are, by default, the most credible in western nutrition science.

Veganism isn't perfect- a 85-90% plant based/10-15% seafood & low fat dairy probably is. I was merely refuting your ignorant assertion that it "isn't healthy". you are wrong, plain and simple. if you disagree with mainstream science, you aren't just a luddite, you're a fucking retard. go find an alternative medicine community instead of boasting of your stupidity in these harmless threads.

>Enjoy your 50g of fiber a day though

I do. Never shit for more than 30 seconds and never need to wipe across my arse more than once. Everyone should aim for 40g+ fibre a day. Unless you enjoy colon cancer. You probably do. I guess you're a masochist. And a faggot to boot. You should at least eat more plants to preserve that anus of yours you love getting penetrated, user.

>modern peer reviewed science is WRONG because it hurts MY MASCULINITY

>and you're happy with taking in a bunch of bean protein

are you implying bean protein intake is a bad thing? why? the strongest worldwide correlation between low heart disease incidence is with legume consumption

Not the poster you're responding to but there are legitimate reasons to include animal protein in your diet. You can be a healthy vegetarian/vegan but you're less likely to be at optimal health and fitness, studies have shown that vegetarians have less lean muscle mass than meat eaters even when all other factors are the same.

And most of the perceived health benefits come from vegetarians and vegans simply paying attention to what they eat more often and being at a healthier weight, neither of which are specific to veg/vegan diets.

I don't know why they had to make it bleed. Burgers aren't supposed to bleed.

>studies have shown that vegetarians have less lean muscle mass than meat eaters even when all other factors are the same.
please share
>And most of the perceived health benefits come from vegetarians and vegans simply paying attention to what they eat more often and being at a healthier weight, neither of which are specific to veg/vegan diets.
And a citation for this would be nice too

>there are legitimate reasons to include animal protein in your diet.

such as? I know whey has benefits for the immune system and so on beyond what one would expect from its nutritional content, but it carries risks with it- slightly increased chance of developing cancer and heart disease. Are there cases where the benefits of animal protein intake override the concerns with their intake? Id like to know. I study nutrition at auckland university.

>You can be a healthy vegetarian/vegan but you're less likely to be at optimal health and fitness, studies have shown that vegetarians have less lean muscle mass than meat eaters even when all other factors are the same.

Misleading. Humans are 10-15% less efficient at absorbing plant protein. even with equal protein takes, subjects aren't supplied with equal amounts.

That being said, show me these studies where all other factors are the same? Genuinely curious.

Observational studies show that vegans on average consume 10-20% fewer calories than healthy omnivores, do less weight bearing exercise and do more cardio. vegan 'culture' often involves poor dietary advice, usually they don't eat enough protein or fat.

>vegan 'culture' often involves poor dietary advice,
This is the biggest problem. Since vegan culture (unlike vegetarian) has only been around for a few decades people haven't had the chance to figure out a balanced diet.

>most of the perceived health benefits come from vegetarians and vegans simply paying attention to what they eat

what a euphemistic way of saying 'ensuring their diets are, at the least, mostly plant based'. I can pay infinite attention to my red meat intake and it won't magically become healthier.

It's between six and eight bux for two patties. So, yes.

>Since vegan culture (unlike vegetarian) has only been around for a few decades

Not true. It's only since the 1950's that vegetarianism has come to refer to lacto-ovo-vegetarianism. When Ghandi and Einstein talked about vegetarianism, they were referring to what we now call veganism.

>people haven't had the chance to figure out a balanced diet.

people absolutely have. its just that, being a marginalised fringe """""spiritual""""" movement, most vegans are anti-scientific, anti-reason and pro-romanticisation of indigenous cultures which fit their narrative. much like paleofaggots.

It's a euphemistic way of saying vegans are frequently retards who go on week-long kale and lime detoxes and won't eat pasta because of gluten hysteria.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5133111/

>LBM was significantly lower for the vegetarian athletes compared to their omnivore counterparts...In spite of this, there were no significant differences in body fat percentage

I have no source for the obesity claim, but there are vegetarians/vegans who are obese and omnivores who aren't. If you want to look up what kind of illnesses being obese causes then you can take that as a source I guess, or the guy who lost weight while eating Twinkies and his blood work actually improved. Eating plant foods which are lower in calories can obviously make it easier to lose weight but most of the claims of vegetarian/vegan diets curing illnesses are the same things cured by losing weight.

Yes it's good to have a lot of plant foods in your diet but someone who is obese and eats nothing but red meat will have a lot more health problems than someone who is at a normal weight while eating nothing but red meat.

>Results from this study indicate that vegetarian endurance athletes’ cardiorespiratory fitness was greater than that for their omnivorous counterparts, but that peak torque did not differ between diet groups. These data suggest that vegetarian diets do not compromise performance outcomes and may facilitate aerobic capacity in athletes.
>Our cross-sectional comparison of vegetarian and omnivore adult endurance athletes shows higher maximal oxygen uptake values among vegetarians and comparable strength, in spite of anthropometric and dietary differences. This study suggests that following a vegetarian diet may adequately support strength and cardiorespiratory fitness development, and may even be advantageous for supporting cardiorespiratory fitness.

So what point were you trying to make here? Athletes work hard to squeeze into the lowest weight classes possible without compromising strength or performance. It seems plant based diets help with this.

Oh, wait. you're an ""aesthetic"" athelete, I see. Every bit of visual size matters.

Furthermore,
>aily intakes for protein, saturated fat, cholesterol, vitamin B12, and selenium were lower among the vegetarians in comparison to the omnivores.

as I mentioned before, this is typical.

any more conclusive studies for us?

As far as I know there really has never been a longstanding dairy free vegetarian movement (Gandhi used to drink cow's milk and on learning about the treatment of milch cows shifted to goat's milk) and even if we do consider the late 1800s as the starting of the vegan movement that's still not enough time to adapt it to a well balanced diet.

>people absolutely have.
individuals don't matter, as a group there's still not a "traditional" diet that ensures health. All cultures have basic rules about eating that are usually good at ensuring a well balanced diet. Even if people why the rules exist they still follow them.

>individuals don't matter, as a group there's still not a "traditional" diet that ensures health

fair enough. though note that no culture has this tradiitonal, with the exception of pre-american Okinawa and maybe northern india.

My point was simply that people on vegetarian diets seem to have less muscle mass. This was only for endurance athletes though, they didn't study people doing weight training but it seems plausible that smaller muscles = not as strong. Endurance athletes are different though, especially for people like marathon runners. They try to weigh as little as possible with as little muscle and fat as they can have to make it easier to run long distances. They usually don't look entirely healthy though and can have health problems from the extreme distances they run. I don't browse Veeky Forums, don't be dismissive.

Don't be obnoxious either, we're just having a discussion. I actually didn't see that in the study and will admit my claim of everything being equal was wrong. But, not only are plant proteins less bioavailable, so is the iron found in plant foods. Vegetarians/vegans would have to consume more than an equal amount from plant foods which seems to point to a moderate amount of animal products being beneficial for us.

nice speculation bro

>vegetarians/vegans would have to consume more than an equal amount from plant foods which seems to point to a moderate amount of animal products being beneficial for us.

logic so broken it's not even wrong.

as usual omnivores in Veeky Forums threads present meagre evidence and move goalposts. i'll be obnoxious all i want when citing science here is like throwing pearls before swine. good bye friends, enjoy your food and try think of the environment before tomorrow's choice of meal.

Not the guy you're replying to, I originally asked for a source.
>My point was simply that people on vegetarian diets seem to have less muscle mass.
Wouldn't surprise me. But as was my suspicion that's all down to protein consumption.

What also doesn't surprise me is that there aren't too many studies measuring this. Most aspects of nutrition have surprisingly few really good, reliable studies, especially long term. Which is why I tend to rely on traditional wisdom when it comes to food choices but even then, not swear by it. Eat more vegetables, not too much fried stuff, not too many sweets, not too much meat (all three are considered indulgences in most cultures). Eat more grains if you want more energy. Drink more milk if you want to become stronger. More fat in the winter than the summer. Some of these might be wrong but I think they're probably closer to the truth than most think.

>Most aspects of nutrition have surprisingly few really good, reliable studies, especially long term.
Yeah, this is one reason I'm excited about lab-grown meat and animal-free milk but also wary. They're making it without the heme iron and lactose but saying it's a good thing. I can digest lactose and I don't eat meat too often so the heme iron is probably fine for me, especially since I seem to have gotten low on iron while exercising more on a vegetarian diet.

I pretty much follow the same kind of thinking, but everyone is different and everyone needs slightly different diets. I think until there's quick and thorough genetic testing we won't know what optimal diets are for each person.

>i care about the environment so much but have no problem treating people like trash
really activates my almonds

he has pretty good dot gov and dot edu links though

>i care about people's feelings so much but have no problem with inflicting pain on non humans nor destroying the world for my grandchildren who do not exist yet so don't matter

le pickle rick xD

there is strong evidence that traditional widsom in regards to diets will send you to an early grave. but that's your choice, meek man.

>I think until there's quick and thorough genetic testing we won't know what optimal diets are for each person.

youre so right. we should definitely carry on as normal and keep eating animal products, because we don't understand how to attain perfection. the middle way is always the best answer. never trust radicals. skepticism for anything that requires a change in lifestyle or increased effort is the best way to live. right on bro, im apolitical myself haha :) live and let live i say :) unless youre an animal

>you act like you care about reducing suffering but you treat people badly
>OH YEAH WELL WHAT ABOUT YOU???

No. I like it better too.

inb4 everyone calls me a shill.

It was being shilled on Veeky Forums for a few days.
Vegans have no shame.

"Incomplete" protein is a myth. All foods have varying levels of different amino acids, some might be a little "low" on one or two, and they call it "incomplete". But the other foods you eat are also going to have varying levels of different amino acids and as long as you eat it the same day, it's going to "complete" it. ie. The amino acids in the bun are going to combine with the pea protein to make a "complete" protein. But you could still just eat the pea protein itself and get a ton of protein, it's just maybe slightly less usable if you don't also eat something with grains the same day. It's literally a non-issue.

Also just assuming you typoed and meant to say "is an incomplete protein", just for the record.

All the vegans I know make fun of people who followed the gluten-free fad though.... It's actually a bit annoying because I have real reactions to gluten (as experienced after eating seitan on multiple occasions - pure gluten), yet they would dismiss it as me joining a fad because of some stupid study done on some people who claimed to have gluten intolerance. I haven't been tested for Celiac disease because I can tolerate smaller amounts of gluten - it might affect me still like by making me tired and my brain foggy and mess with my digestion and cause inflammation, but it's only obviously the gluten doing it when I eat seitan so I don't worry about it enough to go to the doctor.

But to be fair meat eaters also make fun of me a lot for this.

Cognitive dissonance is rampant with you retards

meat is a part of the male identity. there's supposed to be something primal about eating flesh that hearkens back to prehistory when cavemen fought animals for food and males risked their well-being to provide for their family. some males still accentuate their interest in meat to demonstrate their masculinity. it's why dads and grilling and bbqs are culturally associated with each other. it's why epic meal time or whatever emphasizes bacon and meat while the host is so fucking obnoxious about his beard.

>arguing with other people about what you like to eat

how fucking pleb can you get? lmfao at you stupid nigger-grade discussions

>If it tastes good, who cares if it's made from an animal or not?
Vegetarians and vegans care more than anyone, stop shilling your shitty beet burgers here.

It's around 20% fat.

I liked it.

I'll never understand vegans. If you're vegan and aren't eating meat then why try so fuckin hard to make these goofy foods resemble the shit you gave up ?

>Go to jewtube
>Punch in Beyond Burger at Whole Foods
>Results are loaded with pretentious vegan schmucks who tell us their life story and barely mention the """"burger""""