Other urls found in this thread:

britannica.com/science/British-Imperial-System
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Microwave for 1 1/2 minutes
>Types in 130

>medium onion
>6 shallots

30 sec, right?

How would Americans react if Congress passed a law abolishing the imperial system and Trump signed it?

Would they riot?

Yes because they are americans. They don't really need a reason to riot.

"2 cups of flour"
>look at cups in cupboard
>all vastly different in size
>look online for "cup"
>at least 6 different standard values
The cup system is a relic and needs to be replaced.

>a cup of peaches
FUCK YOU AMERICA

>tfw not an assblasted eurokuk

But can you calculate what 1.35miles equates to in feet in your head?

:^)

I wanna know where in the fuck you're from where the 1 cup measure isn't standardised. Yet you still have internet access.
In my country, and most others, it's 250ml.
In Ameriland, it's 237.something ml.
Unless you're from Middle East or Africa or some other backwards armpit of a shithole of a place, 1 cup will always mean 250ml.

>In my country, and most others, it's 250ml.
>In Ameriland, it's 237.something ml.
So if you read a recipe online that says 1 cup, which do you use? Do you contact the author? It's fucking stupid. Like just choose one really simple value.

1cup changes depending on what is going in which is retarded its not a standardized unit.

yes

No it really doesn't. One cup means eight ounces or sixteen tablespoons.

>tablespoons

Do you not know of measuring spoons or something?

>Not being ubiquitously fluent in both Imperial Units and Système international d'unités.
Dumb fuck.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were retarded. They're standardized spoons used for measuring out dry or liquid ingredients. Does that make sense? Do I need to use smaller words?

It's three teaspoons, not hard to remember or understand.

>he doesn't even know what an mL is

Do measuring cups work for grams as well as ml?

250g of flour, is that he same thing as 250ml?

No, flour does not have a consistent density you absolute dumbfuck.There's a reason you need to weigh it to get accurate results.

No, it'll only measure liquids. 250ml of flour would be about 120g.

Should I weigh it in imperial or metric?

Of course I do. It's about 1/15th of a tablespoon.

>be yuro
>trying to follow a recipe
>need 250 milliliters of milk
>instead of just filling up one convenient measuring cup one time, need to use a little eyedropper 250 times to count out each mL
Sad!

You might be the least educated person I've ever met on Veeky Forums. Do you often feel stupid in your day to day life?

Does a balloon weigh the same as a bowling ball? They take up the same space after all. Jesus Christ you're fucking stupid.

>Do you often feel stupid in your day to day life?
Yes but I try to not feel bad for lots of Veeky Forums users when they are more dumber than me.

So Americans really use measuring cups AND scales? I thought the whole point of measuring cups was just so you could scoop things in to bowls quickly like a kid playing in a sandpit. I thought the imperial system and measuring cups were supposed to make things easier.

Why not just use scales or the metric system?

It doesn't fucking matter, it's a variation of like 5%
What the fuck are you smoking? Why would the volume of one cup or 250ml vary based on what it contains?

I'm American and mainly use a scale. Most Americans don't use them though unless they're really into baking. Might be because a set of measuring cups is cheaper and less maintenance.

Only thing more pathetic than America is You're-a-peon O B S E S S I O N. I don't think a minute goes by where a yuro isn't fantasizing about an All-American quarterback dumping a load into his girlfriend. He has to compensate for this shameful lust by growing irrationally angry and immediately shoehorning how shitty he thinks America is into whatever conversation he's having. Do not hate the Yuro-peon--he is a meek, timid creature, enslaved to his perverted psychology, incubated through a century of American hegemony.

>It doesn't fucking matter, it's a variation of like 5%
t. non-gastronomy pleb

>reading recipe
>volume amounts instead of weight
#OnlyRealChefsGetThis

For most ingredients, scooping measuring cup will get you a pretty consistent result. Your recipe won't be ruined if your cup of beans isn't the same as the author's cup of beans. But baking depends a lot on precision, and flour is a powder whose volume depends on how aerated it is, which means a cup of loose flour might only be half a cup of packed flour. So you measure the ingredients for baked goods by weight.

>americam amd english use the same name but are still different values

Metric cups are 5.6689263614384421963166005298262462019920349121093749% larger than US customary cups.
I guarantee you that in the vast majority of situations where you'd be using "cups" as the measure, a deviation of 5.6689263614384421963166005298262462019920349121093749% will make no marked difference in the end result.
Furthermore, cups do not
>change depending on what is going on
It's not like if a recipe calling for 1 cup of ingredient X and 2 cups of ingredient Y will utilise US customary for one and metric for the other. Cups do not work that way.

Not in Euroland. For one, in countries, such as mine, where ounces are still vestigially present in certain aspects (coffee, for example: 1 ounce of coffee in my country is 30g and is enough for 4 of our tiny servings), 8 ounces does not equal 1 cup because we do not use ounces as a unit of volume. Secondly, many countries, mine included, use different measuring spoons. Mine uses coffee spoon and tablespoon. Our tablespoon is a tenth of a metric cup IE 25ml while US tbsp is ~15ml. Our coffee spoon is a twentieth IE ~12ml, which is slightly smaller than a US tbsp.

Some countries do not use teaspoons.

No. 250ml of many flours and meals is about 122g or so. 250ml of most liquids will be 250g, though.

Scales are outlawed for home use in America. You need a medical license to operate one. Do you honestly think they'd be as fat as they are if they had access to scales?

That's 10 different spoons. That means in bongland you'd have to apply for 10 separate cutlery licenses just to bake a cake.

>not just getting all your cutlery licenses on autorenew when you go in to get your first TV license, responsible internet permit and fingerprint registration card on your 18th birthday
You non-bong peons really need to streamline your government order compliance proceedings. I bet you don't even have an automated QR code scanning app to tell your Good Citizen Behaviour Monitoring Officer when you're polite to a Diverse Citizen on the street

>Scales are outlawed for home use in America. You need a medical license to operate one.

This is bait and you aren't actually this retarded, right?

meant to reply to

Most microwaves convert 100 to 60 seconds. But what if u need to cook for 100 seconds

enter 99.

>a kilogram of feathers weighs the same as a kilogram of steel
Eurocucks??????

1 minute 40 seconds. Did you drop out of elementary school?

gave me a boner

That's fine for a lot of recipes since i just end ip eyeballing things or adjusting to my tastes anyway. It's horrible for baking though, everything should ne by weight for sure in that case, not in cups or tablespoons or what have you.

>>Everything is in american units

So what? The conversion is brain-dead simple.

steel is eavier than feathers

Yes, but we never really have to do that, they're used for different scales. Feet are typically used for objects and construction, things on the human scale. Yards are used for intermediate distances like shooting and sport fields. Miles are used almost exclusively for travel distances. There's really no need for the average person to convert between them, but they can easily if they need to with a calculator.

How many scruples of sugar does Veeky Forums like in their coffee?
britannica.com/science/British-Imperial-System

>have internet at your disposal
>can't figure out how to translate units
dumb frogposter

Perhaps you should check a cup to gram conversion, cups are volume grams are weight meaning that a "cup" is dependant on what you're putting in.

You
>5% is not a meaningful difference
Professional bakers
>accuracy is paramount

Sure add an extra 5% flour to your mixture, i'm sure you'll get the results you want, fucking spastic.

And yet you cannot easily relate the lot, tell me how many croissants to a football field americuck? Of course you have no idea, cuck.

He clearly stated that for MOST applications 5% is meaningless.

Obviously there are exceptions, baking being one of them.

Baking takes up such a large proportion of cooking it is ridiculous to consider it an exception. Moron.

>And yet you cannot easily relate the lot,

Sure you can. It's all just basic arithmetic that you learn in elementary school.

Croissants to a football field? Easy. Assume from knowledge of the size of a croissant we can fit 6 of them per square foot. That means we have 6 * 9 = 54 of them per square yard. Call it 50 to make the math easy. A football field is about 7000 square meters IIRC (it's been a long time since I played). A yard is slightly less than a meter but for estimation purposes it's close enough. 7000 x 50 = 350 thousand. Round it up a bit since we under-estimated due to our meter/yard conversion and call it 400,000. That takes just a few seconds to do in your head. Was it supposed to be some kind of a tricky challenge?

we're never going to call the endzone the 91.44 meter line you communist.

>Baking takes up such a large proportion of cooking it is ridiculous to consider it an exception.

Are you suggesting that 5 or more out of every 100 people bake their own bread from scratch?

No it was supposed to be an accurate representation, and you failed spectacularly by "guesstimating".

This is why the rest of the world laughs at you, because i can tell you that a litre of water weighs 1 kilogram. I can tell you that 10 millimetres makes up a centimetre, 100 centimetres makes up a metre, 1000 metres makes up a kilometre. And i can calculate a more exact number than you can because of this fact. Yet you revel on the fact that you are a dumbass. Good shit, you're a moron to the rest of the civilised world.

Are you saying that precise measurements in an exact science aren't useful?

>No it was supposed to be an accurate representation,
No, it wasn't. There's nothing accurate about converting a food item to a linear or area measurement. They aren't even the same thing.

>>and you failed spectacularly by "guesstimating".
How so? Guesstimates are perfectly fine for cooking. After all, the nature of ingredients varies naturally. Meat contains varying amounts of fat. Whole foods vary in size and shape. Herbs and spices vary in their potency based on freshness and season. It's pants-on-head retarded to use accurate conversions when you have to correct those things anyway based on what ingredients you had. You can sit and weigh out an exact amount of paprika like some 'sperg but that's totally pointless given that you'll be tasting and adjusting anyway.

>> because i can tell you that a litre of water weighs 1 kilogram....
And you think we can't?

>> Yet you revel on the fact that you are a dumbass.
Not even close. I think the Imperial system of units is silly. But I also think that complaining bout unit conversions is also silly because they're so fucking easy to do. All you have to do is memorize two factors: 1 pound = 454 grams and 1 liter is approximately equal to 1 quart. With that it's brain-dead simple to convert between Imperial and Metric recipes.

Not at all. I'm saying that the average person isn't engaging in an exact science therefore precise measurements aren't necessary or even desirable.

OFC precise measurements are useful in an exact science. But we aren't talking about an exact science.

I answered your question, now please answer mine.
>Are you suggesting that 5 or more out of every 100 people bake their own bread from scratch?

You remind me of a woman I once dated. Every time we ate out and it was her turn to pay she'd get a pad of paper out of her purse and would insist on calculating the tip to exactly 15.0% down to the last penny, longhand. Then she'd do it a 2nd time to make sure the first time was correct. Needless to say everyone was always waiting around on her because most people have no problem estimating and rounding and didn't have some strange need in their sperghead to introduce precision where it isn't required.

Funny enough, I am a former pro baker.
And guess what? When I said
>vast majority of situations where you'd be using "cups" as the measure
I was thinking specifically of baking. Know why? Cuz you'd be hard-pressed to find even a single baker on the face of the planet who bakes professionally and uses volumetric measures.
So what I said still stands and if you knew anything about pro baking at all, you wouldn't have ever posted that. :^)

Yes, because that cost money uprooting the system

I usually just weigh liquids nowadays

Most people in the U.S. don't have scales. Typically I'd associate someone having a kitchen scale with a stoner (measuring out weed), or someone who's trying to watch their calorie intake (measuring exactly how much of something you're eating makes it easier to guess calories). To be fair, for any liquid volume is just as good as weight. 1 cup of water will always weigh the same amount. For ingredients that aren't ground super fine like flour, volume will usually work pretty well too.