So i tired making rice balls because I'm trash

So i tired making rice balls because I'm trash.

Got the technique pretty much down but the rice was bland. What can i as after the fact that would help? Just some salt or would an Asian grocery sell something that would be better?

Also suggest flavors. I made spicy salmon mayo and that was pretty good. I'd like to try picked plum but i won't be able to find that. Has an user here tried a kind and really liked it?

It's a ball of rice, what did you expect

You could put some furikake on them.

I know it's not the proper way, but I usually knead some furikake into the rice just before forming them. Works fine

I'll try this. And I'm sure some town out in the sticks in some bullshit prefecture fucking LOVES furikake kneaded into their rice balls.

Some Asian grocery places sell different mixed spices that you can mix into rice balls for different flavors, or maybe you can season the rice with rice vinegar and mirin

Well I stayed in Fukushima but I never offered them to anyone, they were just my late night snack while getting wasted on cheap konbini whiskey

Put tsukudani kombu in them. Delicious and relatively easy to make.

Don't you mean jelly donuts.

I like mushrooms seasoned with miso and shredded pickled konbu. Salmon ones are good too. If you can get umeboshi tho...

I used to put smoked salmon in 'em, was pretty good. You could use what they put in sushi rice to make the rice itself a bit more flavorful, if you dig that.

I've seen pickled plum in stores, but it was expensive and probably only old people like it.

>I've seen pickled plum in stores, but it was expensive and probably only old people like it.
Used to have a legit Japanese place in my town. Pickled plum was very unique, but it doesn't take a lot of getting used to.

Its not proper if you're buying from some famous onigiri shop that has been around for 100s of years or if you're buying from 7-11 since that will cut into their profit margins

Literally everyone in Japan that packs them for lunch puts in furikake because if they are packing them for lunch they are doing so to save money and furikake makes it so that even less filling is needed.

Pickled plum is like beer in that its shocking the first time you eat it but is really easy to get used to the taste.

Now natto filling takes a concerted effort to like unless you've been eating it since childhood

A proper onigiri uses just canned tuna and mayo. Also if you're just using plain rice, salt the top of the onigiri after you shaped it.

salt

You are confused as to why people eat onigiri. It's not about taste. It's because you can make a half dozen of them for a 100 yen.

I always wondered if Riceballs will taste better with Jasmine Rice.

there's an onigiri place near me. the cuban is something i could happily eat on a daily basis

>Just some salt or would an Asian grocery sell something that would be better?

If you're keeping your hands wet with a dish of water, salt that water. Should put just enough salt into the rice.
The Asian grocer should also have rice-specific seasoning, or furikake.

Salt the rice a little bit by way of salting your hands or plastic wrap if you use that instead. also if your filling is adequately salty, it's a nice contrast with the plain rice. There's also other onigiri variations - peas or something like that mixed in the rice, or you can make them out of brown rice, brush them with sesame oil and soy sauce and fry up each side on a pan.

Jasmine rice is delicious but idk if it has the right stickiness for onigiri.

OP there, I used Jasmine and it was plenty sticky. Crumbles a tiny bit when it's not fresh, but it does the job.

How do I make sticky rice?

Try rubbing some salt on your wet hands before shaping them, works very well

use the sushi rice seasoning
>rice wine vinegar
>sugar
>salt

It's a particular kind of rice, like Jasmine or Calrose.
Although any kind of rice can be used if it's got a decent gluten content.

I would say salt, but that may be too hot/spicy for ya white boy

Don't salt, rice wine/soy sauce/onigiri

>because I'm trash
why the fuck are you talking like that? what the fuck, did you just come from tumblr or facebook or something you piece of shit normie

Why do you call someone else a piece of shit for writing in a particular way and then contradict yourself by writing like a piece of shit phoneposter, you filthy tertiary?

actually if i was on a phone it'd be harder not to use capital letters because of autocorrect

That you earnestly believe capitals are the sole marker of a phoneposting tertiary is exactly what makes you a phoneposting tertiary.

it's one of them

Jasmine rice would be terrible. It would fall apart

dude you should put that dry shaved pork/beef jerky into your freaking rice ball. Holy crap, don't steal my idea.

Did you just use plain rice? You're meant to put rice vinegar in it as well

>4x a reasonable price
>literally 100% meme filling except for the one normal filling they call an ~ancient superfood~
america was a mistake

Butter