Knives

Hello Veeky Forums, I was curious if carbon steel or stainless knives better for a vegetable knife or not.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XpqqjU7u5Yc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Better use stainless. If you cut a lot of acidic fruit like tomatoes, limes or lemons it can have a marked detrimental effect on your edge. Plus, there is an almost 100% chance that it will get fucked up if you ever let another person use it - he will either put it in the dishwasher or leave it soaking in the sink overnight. Carbon is for knowledgeable people for whom knife care and maintenance is fun and an enjoyable ritual.

Carbon Steel is superior and classier if you're willing to put in a little TLC every now and then. For 99% of people stainless is fine

Neither is better. They are different, both have pros and cons.

Carbon steel is easier to sharpen and holds an edge longer. But it does require that you keep the knife dry or it will rust.

Stainless doesn't hold an edge as well, and it's harder to sharpen. But you can leave it wet and it won't rust on you.

Carbon steel doesn't even make sense as a term. Stainless steels these days are usually just as high if not higher in carbon content than what people call carbon steel. Chromium deficient steel would be more accurate.

Good, modern stainless steels are better for knives than any so called carbon steels in every functional capacity. Carbon steel knives are a fashion statement, and insofar as they outperform a stainless knife, it's because the stainless knife is using outdated, cheap steel.

Leddit pls go

>Carbon steel doesn't even make sense as a term
Yeah, but it's firmly entrenched so we use it just like all sorts of other terms which don't make sense.

>>Muh modern stainless
I have tried many modern stainless steels. They are indeed much better than the old-fashioned alloys like you'd find on a generic Wusthof or Henckels, they still don't perform as well as carbon steel does. Is that difference enough to matter? For the average person, no. Heck, I'm into knives, and I own a few carbon steel knives which I use often. But my main kitchen go-to is stainless (pic related). It's edge-keeping properties are 90% as good as my Sugimoto Chinese knife, but it gives noticeably worse feedback when sharpening. Still, the convenience of stainless is a good thing.

Metal Shop Manager here.
To answer your autism in layman's terms...
Stainless is stainless and carbon steel is carbon steel. And stainless will never hold an edge as long as 1095 carbon steel. Stainless is essentially a meme metal for people who need something to not rust or to have a very high tensile strength. As far as hardness goes, carbon steel will be the best until you go in to alloys.

>until you go in to alloys.
what does that mean

OP, that's not a vegetable knife. That's the heavy end of chinese cleavers. Its used like one of our cleavers.

It's all about hardness and angle. Pick your poison. The harder you choose the more oblique angle you can have for the same 'sharpness'. But it will snap off if you run it across a steel. The finer the angle, the faster it dulls but that works with ductile stainless.

Metal mixed with other metals

No one needs carbon steel outside of a wood or metal shop. But the fucking japs keep forcing it on you so.. Cool, I guess.

What is high speed tool steel? It's tungsten and vanadium. That's the only shit that belongs in a shop dealing with 'hot' metal.

Wrong, different steels for different purposes, try making and using a full length sword with stainless steel or even better, try using carbon steel bolts to build a pier/jetty, see what happens in a year or two

That's what I'm saying. Most people will be fine with stainless 18/10. Don't make a fucking sword for the kitchen buddy. jesus.

Who the fuck makes "jetties".

The fuck, bro? That's stainless or galvanized metal. Why do I talk to you people. You're all varying degrees of insane.

Do any of you interact with people in your society?

>until you go in to alloys
All steels are alloys you fucking mong.

Steels are coked iron, no one things of raw steel as an alloy.

You need chromium, vanadium, nickel, manganese, copper, etc..

Come back, I need to hear about your jetty. I want your jetty. I'm bored watching Baywatch. I need your jetty.

Jetty is another word for pier here in Australia and unless somehow one appears out of thin air someone's gotta make it, the rest of your post makes no fucking sense at all

The sword bit is an example of where carbon steel is used outside of a wood or a metalshop, what I'm saying is that carbon steel is used all over the place in varying applications, not one metal is perfect for everything and saying no one needs carbon steel outside of manufacturing is silly.

On another note I've actually used a sword in the kitchen, I beheaded a whole pig that we roasted on the spit also yanagiba's are basically short kitchen katana's

You really doubled down. I respect that. At least Veeky Forums is a shit show now.

Fuck reality, we have Veeky Forums austrailian pieces of shit.

Holy shit kill yourselves. Words have meaning. Iron+carbon is an alloy called steel. There is no disputing this.

Never mind that no fucking knife on the planet is just iron+carbon, and contains metals besides iron, fitting your fucked up take on the word.

I might go puke before my next shot of vodka, but I dedicate it to your sad life. I will barf for you and only you jon barf.

Reality is a fucking meme

Don't see how my life is sad but have fun with the vodka and puking

how long has steel been around, you stupid cunt. Steel is obviously an ALLOY. But we ignore it because we've been making it for centuries. Do you not get that?

You're like talking to a potato.

At least you hillbillies have a cause. The poverty south is on the job. Keep it up bros.

>Bronze is obviously an ALLOY. But we ignore it because we've been making it for centuries. Do you not get that?
>Pewter is obviously an ALLOY. But we ignore it because we've been making it for centuries. Do you not get that?
>Brass is obviously an ALLOY. But we ignore it because we've been making it for centuries. Do you not get that?
This is how retarded you are.

You really stretched to sound like an idiot. Lets go back to the bronze age.

Keep it up you hyperactive idiot.

I hope you drink yourself to death tonight.

I can see you shivering in anger. I'll just enjoy that. Thanks for that. You're fucked up in a way no one can help.

Here you go, honey.

youtube.com/watch?v=XpqqjU7u5Yc

How deep is your love?

Shit, now youtube is playing Stayin' Alive.. Time to watch Airplane!

Where'd you go, hun. I'm watching Galaxy Quest now, do it with me!

Maybe next time you won't call someone a retard, when you're cripplingly autistic. Just saying, don't be a fucking asshole if you can't take it. Right? Don't be a piece of shit if you're mentally crippled? I'll be on your side if you don't sound like a cunt.

>Carbon steel is easier to sharpen and holds an edge longer.
>Stainless doesn't hold an edge as well, and it's harder to sharpen.
Hello 1954Weapons-grade autism, never change Veeky Forums

wat? you just kinda shit yourself in front of everyone.

knife discussions on Veeky Forums are the most fun.

But in general those are still true ya goof. Excluding a few exotic super steels

Carbon Steel for the home, stainless for the resturant. My knife roll is filled with victorinoxes that all together cost less than one decent carbon steel knife. My resturant knives are going to be used and abused like two dollar whores by coworkers who don't care. It's not a place for nice knives. My brothers first day at the resturant, he brought his nice Wustof set. After worrying about them all day after the chef's knife walked over to the pizza station, he decided to never bring nice knives again.
It mostly comes down to technique. Proper knife skills, sharpening, mantainice, saftey. A good knife is needed, but the diffrence between a Wustof, a Victorinox, and Susin Gyuto come down to what you need. Buy a honing steel and a whetstone 1k/6k and keep it sharp, whatever it is.

what's Veeky Forums's opinion on ceramic knives?

they're not knives. they're shit you cut yourself on reaching for a knife.

They are pretty worthless. The ceramic is so brittle that the knives have to be really thick behind the edge to stabilize it halfway adequately, and they STILL chip. Better invest the money in a good water stone.

Pretty much this. I have replaceable knives in my work wrap, shun/global/victorinox. Then nice handmade knives I keep at home for using on a nice endgrain block.

Use them for cutting salad so it doesn't rust. other than that, just store them.

the salad joint near my work is cranking out 250 made to order salads an hour and they use nothing but stainless

>carbon steel will be the best until you go in to alloys
Carbon steel is an alloy. 1095 makes god tier hunting / outdoor knives, but it is an alloy of iron, carbon, manganese, phosphorus, sulfur, and silicon.
The defining trait between stainless steel and carbon steel is that stainless has 10.5% or more chromium by weight. There are a lot of good carbon steels that have chromium added such as CPM #V line.
The pretentious lebbit fag was right thought that Carbon Steel doesn't make sense as steel is, by definition, iron that has added carbon.