Fucked up and undercooked my burger

Fucked up and undercooked my burger.

Is this safe to eat?

Maybe.

No food is safe to eat. there's always the risk of choking.

Anyway, if you ground that meat yourself then I'd have no problem eating it. If that was shit from the supermarket then it needs more cooking. That's my take on the risks, anyway. It's not as if its actually possible to give you an exact answer.

It's a premade super market ground chuck patty.

where did you buy the beef?

Yes, it's safe to eat.

Shoppers

>undercooking meat

Do Americans really do this?

Probably, but whether or not you're taking a chance has to do with how the meat was sourced. If the butcher ground it for you or your supermarket grinds their own it's fine. If it was ground at the supermarket's off site butcher it's still probably OK. If it was processed at the slaughterhouse and sold in a plastic fucking tube I wouldn't eat it less than well.

I'm sure it's fine I've eaten hamburgers more rare than that

I'm not used to cooking frozen meat, I usually make everything fresh.

It's been maybe a good year since I cooked a frozen burger.

But you just fry it in a pan on high heat on each side for 3-4 minutes and flip it a couple of times to be sure. You've essentially either cut it in half or eaten half of it already. Why don't you just cook it a bit longer to be safe?

News: I'm eating it anyway and it tastes better this way.

I think I'll buy a meat grinder to grind my own cuts to make safer medium rare burgers,

The science behing it is basically that you can cook a steak rare because only the outside is home to pathogens, so if you cook the outside you're killing them off. If you grind meat up, pathogens can remain inside the patty and if the inside is not cooked there remains a risk for food poisoning.

If you were to grind up your meat yourself the risk is still there because you don't know if there is a potentially a high level of contamination. The only safe way you could eat a rare hamburger is if you find the freshest meat you can and before you grind it salt the outside entirely for 30 mins to try and kill off pathogens and then trim all meat that has been exposed to the air so you are left with the non contaminated meat from the centre.

This process might also be achieved in the same way as the rare chicken sashimi they serve in japan which is frozen at very low temperatures from fresh chicken.

Basically its not worth it.

So if a burger place says they recommend their burgers medium rare I should tell them to fuck off and cook it medium?

If a burger place has the balls to recommend medium rare then I'd certainly take that recommendation. They are proud of using good quality meat if they are making that suggestion.

I mean its up to you, if the manager isn't ontop of maintaining fresh stock you could get food poisoning.

I'd not bother with the risk but a good measure as to whether you can trust them would be to find out how long they've been open. If they have been open for a long time it's unlikely they've given food poisoning to many people as they'd likely have closed either due to health inspectors or lack of customers from bad word of mouth. Again though i wouldn't trust someone else to prepare something that could potentially have me puking and shitting my guts out for 2 weeks. If you want a medium rare burger without the worry of being food poisoned make it yourself.

Also with regards to rare chicken never attempt it only the autistic perfectionist japs should be trusted.

t.microbiology degree

*fresh stock and proper preparation practices i should have said

Thanks, yeah I don't need it that bad. I'm going to Japland in a few months and will probably skip the raw chicken also, which sounds disgusting.

>I'm going to Japland in a few months and will probably skip the raw chicken also
Wait is this a real thing? I thought it was just epic trolling

>Wait is this a real thing? I thought it was just epic trolling
Yes, Asians can be gross when it comes to food. Eating live octopus and weird shit. Uncooked chicken is fine there.

Remove the buns and zap it in the microwave for 30 seconds.

Yes i saw a video by furious pete when he went to japan and he was eating "raw" chicken sashimi. In reality it was just very slightly seared on the outside like seared tuna. Still it was very raw in the middle.

Looks fine, but if you are really uneasy about it, then you can pop it in the microwave for a few seconds.

Idk

Yeah there is chicken sushi. I'm out.

You could sear then grind it

Searing on a thick steak may not kill pathogens on the sides of the steak, however you could always sear on the edges too or even deep fry for 30 seconds to 1 minute.