Coffee and Steak

>Dude if you don't drink your coffee black you don't like coffee

>Dude if you put sauce on your steak you don't really like steak

Is there any other food that causes this reddit-tier level of autism?

>Woah dude you cookin' that onion?

I'm actually drinking black coffee and consuming cold entirely unseasoned roast beef right now

>prepare coffee in a way that tastes nothing like coffee
>liking coffee
The children who get triggered over wanting to be associated with the idea of coffee without drinking it are more autistic than anyone

It's not a bad idea.... Probably makes the steak easier to digest. I also think the acidity in black coffee would be just right as a palate cleanser, making each bite better.

Oh we aren't talking about having black coffee with steak. That probably would have been a better thread.

You guys like bearnaise sauce with your steak?

You guys ever had steak Pittsburgh style? I like to leave the steak with a really heavy dry rub, and then when you cook it Pittsburgh style the rub becomes a seared crunchy shell around the otherwise pink steak inside, kinda like blackened chicken but without the sugar.

What do you mean 'tastes nothing like coffee'? That's literally, LITERALLY, like saying anything but 100% chocolate doesn't taste like chocolate

Any idea on what is considered to be the foundation spices of a "Pittsburgh style" rub?

No talkie until my coffee!

>not eating coffee crusted steak

he has a shit palate, ignore him

There's nothing wrong with adding stuff to your coffee, but my friend adds seven sugar packets and three half-and-half cups to his coffee when we eat at a restaurant. At some point it stops being coffee with cream and sugar, and starts being cream and sugar with coffee.

Pittsburgh doesn't have a specific rub. Pittsburgh is a cooking style some menus offer as an alternative to rare/medium/well. In fact traditional "pittsburgh" steaks probably used no rubs or seasoning at all. It's basically rare in the middle and seared extremely well on the outside. The urban myth about how it originated is that steel mill workers would bring raw steak to the job and cook their steak on their lunch break by throwing it at the steel vats.

I do a really heavy rub, a lot of really coarse large pieces of salt in it, so that when you rapidly sear it it makes a crunchy crust.

>Is there any other food that causes this reddit-tier level of autism?
Wine
Craft beer
Whiskey
Caviar
BBQ
Chili
Sushi
Pizza (if you live in a place with a local style)
Hot Dogs (in NYC and Chicago)
Any classic French dish
Oysters

Oh, okay.. That was a cool little story there. Thanks for that.

I get the same effect from dry aging over salt for a few days. 4 hours before cooking, rub on Kosher salt and paprika, leave on counter UNDER the cast iron pan you plan to cook it in.

Heat the pan super hot, and the butter turns crunchy like bacon. Ive never bought a steak better than I can cook.

when its dry aged and it has the musty flavor it is ungodly with a coffee rub

It absolutely works in the way you describe.

Black coffee and med. steak actually taste nasty when put together.
They're both savory flavors that clash with each other.

if you can't taste the coffee over a little cream and/or sugar you need to find yourself a better palette my friend.

Coffee enema is the way to go bro

Just load that sucker right up on in there

It's gotten a little extreme, but the point is, it completely overpowers most of what you're trying to consume.

A $70 steak that has been treated well and cooked to your specifications, but is slathered in A1 is going to taste like a $15 steak slathered in A1. There are some sauces that augment the taste of steak and don't totally mask the hard work put into it.

Same with coffee - a splash of cream sometimes serves to add to the texture, but fill it with sugar packets, cream, and whipped cream, and you have a milkshake.

It applies for any food.

I've actually had a steak with a coffee-based dry rub. Just ground roasted coffee beans and a few other spices I couldn't place. It was actually quite good.

The steak one makes sense, because you're comparing a high quality food to a low quality version of the exact same dish, and the sauce eliminates that gap in quality because it's overpowering.

But adding cream and sugar to coffee doesn't reduce good coffee to the level of bad coffee. coffee with cream and sugar is still a coffee flavoured beverage that isn't simply masking the quality of the coffee. I add cream and sugar to my coffee specifically because I'm not trying to consume black coffee and don't like it. coffee with sugar and cream is its own unique flavour separate from black coffee.

the point is that some people demand other people to eat some foods a certain way and that's wrong
nobody should give a shit if I eat my steak with potatoes or sugary cereal and milk. different people have a right to enjoy food however the fuck they want