Why is the average person so clueless about food?

Why is the average person so clueless about food?

High School Health classes teach inaccurate information, diet industry teaches inaccurate information, daytime talk shows teach inaccurate information.

Is this real?

Nutrition isn't taught in elementary or highschool at least here in the US it certainly isn't.

Is the food pyramid really that bad?

And if it is taught,
it's as said, the information is at best misleading.

Our nutritional education is outdated by more than 50 years but still taught in schools, and on top of that some of the research turned out to be wrong (more accurately it was corrupt, tampered with) and Americans spent 50 years believing fat was the worst thing ever and sugar was mostly ok when it was the other way around.

I used to be overweight, both my parents were fat so I ended up with childhood obesity, now I'm a healthy BMI and trying to get my mom to lose weight since obviously she'd like to. But she fights me every step of the way and keeps insisting that calories in/calories out isn't the single determining factor behind weight loss, she's always watching these stupid doctor oz etc shows on TV.

why

It's like that South Park episode

>...it's upside down

it tells you to eat 9 servings of bread a day. So yes.
The Food Guide Pyramid is as accurate as saying Jewish Slaves built the real pyramid

You have to go back.

Because the US education system does not prioritize nutrition as important knowledge to have.
It's really bad, the memes are real if you visit any state, every other person you see is overweight or obese.
The southern states especially struggle with obesity although it's mostly black people lol.

well it's not. metabolism isn't that straight forward. but some people think it can break the law of energy conservation or smth

What did you guys actually get from Health Class? I watched "Super-Size me" like three times and in high school I had a teacher constantly show us videos about how veganism is the only path to health. they never even said what a calorie was in any class besides Physics

>What did you guys actually get from Health Class?
Every state has it's own "Nutrition/Physical Education" curriculum, but here in California we didn't learn much about nutrition in general.
However, we were required to have at least two years of Physical Education which consisted of: Basketball, Soccer, and running laps.

To be fair, people in California don't learn much of anything.

you didn't have a separate classroom health class? I mean, there's not really a point when you don't learn anything true, but you only ever got Gym classes?

kek
California is a meme state and honestly the only thing that keeps this state from becoming number 1 in obesity rates are the beaches, chads, and stacies.
If you're not Veeky Forums you will not get laid here in California.

Up here in Canada health class was a 2-3 week unit of the gym class curriculum. So not only was it worthless but everyone hated it because no gym.

If you want to help her lose weight first you have to know exactly what she is eating and when and how much she exercise because obesity isn't about overeating it's about behaivour, everyone knows what food is bad and what food is good for the most part, people don't know that the more sugar you eat the more you crave since they don't notice when they are constantly indulging that's a behaivour you have to modify, there is no such a thing as I will eat today and make up for it tomorrow because tomorrow you will crave bad food twice as much
It's better to wait out cravings even tho to an obese person that will feel like starvation because indulging doesn't satisfy you it just delays more cravings but waiting them out does fix them
Then again obese people eat to scape from pain
See how it's all behaivour?

>you didn't have a separate classroom health class?
No, although once or twice a year, there would be a school assembly that brought people from the USDA to talk about healthy food, and the health risks of an unhealthy diet;most people ignored the information.

A little bit about each body system and some about psychology. As far as diet goes eat fucking vegetables, whole grains, lots of fuckin water. He told us that if he had any control over it he would make sure all kids were participating in a fitness class (this was high school) instead of regular PE. That healthy weight loss occurred slowly at 2.5 lbs a week and that measurements were better indicators of progress than weight.

I took a personal fitness class the next semester and started drinking water that year. For the first time in my life I was able to run for more than 30 fucking seconds. I was actually able to run for the whole duration when he made us do laps around the gym until the teacher blew the whistle. While my stamina increased dramatically in those five months I didn't lose any significant amount of weight.

schools in the US don't teach practical shit at all, my high school's only purpose was to get people into college

No child left behind was a mistake.

Highschool diplomas are worthless if everybody has one.

>Americans spent 50 years believing fat was the worst thing ever and sugar was mostly ok when it was the other way around.
No one believed this, ever. People did have a misguided view about the evil of fat but no one ever believed that sugar was good for you. What did happen was that people didn't have any idea how much sugar they were actually consuming.

As much as I hate Atkins 2.x (keto, paleo etc.) I am glad that these fads brought to our attention how much sugar we are liable to consume if we're not careful.

I really don't believe that if we only ate homemade food we could overconsume fat or sugar. When you add 4 tbsps of butter to a dish or a cup of sugar to muffins, you're very cognizant of how unhealthy that food could be if you eat too much of it. On the other hand if you buy ice-cream or yogurt you're distanced from the ingredients that went into it and are likely to gorge. I just made some blueberry jam and despite using lesser sugar than most recipes recommend I am not able to eat it with the same callousness I would storebought.

>only thing that keeps this state from becoming number 1 in obesity rates are the healthy lifestyles of most of its inhabitants
no shit

High school diplomas have always been worthless. So are bachelor degrees. Just study a trade and pick up a GED later.

Bullshit, I had like 3 nutrition and wellness clases throughout 4-12

Where did you go? And when?

I moved around the country as a child, and never had a nutrition class. Graduated in 2000.

Wow, maybe not yours. When they do its just ignored, because who doesn't like pizza?

Who needs nutrition when the government will give you medications!

>I had a teacher constantly show us videos about how veganism is the only path to health
so like the food equivalent of abstinence-only

holy christ the bitchtits are real

don't you be speaking ill of Scoob
that's allllllll natty

The average perosn is clueless about almost everything, cooking is just one of those things. I work at a sporting goods retail store in the outdoors section. One day I was standing behind the counter where we keep the guns locked up and on display, when some lady walked up and asked me with a straight face, "Is that an AK-47?" She was pointing a fucking double-barreled Mossberg shotgun.

Did you tell her that it was in fact an AK-47?

Everyone is clueless about almost anything, user.
It's a big world out there, lots of information

thats scooby you fucking inbred newfag, you dont slander scoob

Unironically, you're an idiot too, since you can't sell an AK-47, just a semiauto replica popgun.

>mfw when /k/fags talk about weapons and they've never even fired an assault rifle automatic, let alone an M2. Fucking wannabees.

>slander
You mean libel you fucking moron.
Learn the difference.

it could be interpreted as either, having bitchtits is definitely harmful to a #brand

>libel vs slander
1st year Cornell law student detected.

Of course it's not that's why you're all fat clapping burger eating cunts.

Flyover detected

Libel is written.
Slander is spoken.

Tell that to the dumb cunt who doesn't know the difference.

Read the post you're replying to again.

ours did. don't know where you from. must be a shit town in iowa or something

The average person has maybe one thing that they aren't clueless about.

People should just say defamation and cover both libel and slander.

time

start w/ an egg

I went to public schools in 1st-12th in Tennessee and there were no nutritional classes given

but we were given abstinence-until-marriage and STD education classes. thinly veiled bible-thumping classes, really.

The food pyramid has been revamped for almost 10 years now, it doesn't say to eat 9 servings of bread. Besides, the 2000 kcal food pyramid was designed for people who, you know, actually use on average 2000 kcal of energy a day. A lot of people these days don't.

What did he mean by this?

I had a mandatory Health class in both high school and at university