Homemade pizza

Any tips on how to make good pizza at home?
The main limiting factor will be that in using a conventional rather than woodfired or stone oven - how to negate this?
All other pizza discussion welcome too!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1-SJGQ2HLp8
slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/12/the-pizza-lab-why-does-pepperoni-curl
pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php
pizzamaking.com/pizza-recipes.html
pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=46441.0
slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/09/the-pizza-lab-the-baking-steel-delivers.html
youtube.com/watch?v=9YA6om6FWJg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Buy a pizza stone.

Seems neat but a bit pricey and inconvenient for me at this very time

One can just get a mixer, pour flour, olive oil, salt, start mixing, slowly pour water until the mixer is stopped by the solidifying of the dough, and cook that over a pan with some olive oil.

I follow this guys stuff youtube.com/watch?v=1-SJGQ2HLp8
only problem is the oven isn't hot enough so the dough isn't as crunchy as in a stone oven. I tought maybe if you bake the dough in a pan first for a few minutes then put toppings on and put it in the oven you could get a crunchy dough but never bothered doing that.

Not a big fan. Takes ages to warm up and making more than 1-2 pizzas isn't going to happen most of the time.
This video has the best dough recipe in my opinion. Fast and easy. I make my dough like this and it comes out breddy good most of the time.

looks very good, will try it today
do i need to so it with all his italian antics too?

forgot to ask, do you know if it's possible to freeze that dough?

dont forget yeast

Well I was basically listing the laziest and fastest way to make it, I of course tend to use Yeast, but if I wanted to eat it right away I could also not use it.

freeze after you have let it rise.

Dough is easy, yeast, warm watter with sugar, flour + teaspoon of salt, mix and add flour and olive oil till the dough is not sticky. Let the dough get big, 30 min, 1 hour at room temperature or some days in the fridge.

Tomato sauce, cheese and the ingredients that you want and then put some olive oil in pic related, oven pre heated at 250 ÂșC and put pic related in the bottom touching the oven directly.

You can do better pizzas if you buy good quaility ingredients and use a homemade tomato sauce.

Cooking is fun so have fun doing it and if the pizza doesnt go well you can try it another time and another ultil you become a pizza master.

>put pic related in the bottom touching the oven directly.
What would be the point of that?

Is that just a regular baking tray
But user, I don't want to have a square pizza!

>What would be the point of that?

Conducts more heat by direct contact with the base of the oven. Pizza ovens are supposed to be absurdly hot. A home oven doesn't really get hot enough, so you can do various little tricks to cheat. That's one. Another one would be to use a baking stone.

Yes.
You can put a round pizza on a rectangular tray; you don't have to cover the whole thing up.

>sugar in the dough
Opinion discarded.

>The main limiting factor will be that in using a conventional rather than woodfired or stone oven
1. Use a well-oiled cast iron pan, or failing that, a regular baking sheet preheated in the oven at 500F or as high as it'll go for 15 minutes as others have suggested.

2. If you are going to be adding pepperoni or sausage to your pizza, precook the meat(s) in a skillet for a few minutes to render a little of the fat out and set them to drain over paper towel before application so you don't end up with an overly greasy pizza (remember the cheese layers are also fatty).

2a. If you like pepperoni when it turns into a little cup shape on the pie, read this:
slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/12/the-pizza-lab-why-does-pepperoni-curl

3. Since the idea is to cook your pizza as hot and fast as possible, it's also a good idea to lightly saute any chopped veggies (peppers, onions, mushrooms, etc) ahead of time for 2-4 minutes so they aren't still half-raw when the pizza is done. This head-start also helps wick away excess moisture for a less wet pizza.

4. Brush the outer naked crust with butter or olive oil so that it browns evenly and doesn't become too dry.

5. When shaping your dough never use a rolling pin, instead stretch by hand so it's not tough.

6. Finally, your pizza is only as high quality as your lowest quality ingredient component so buy your cheese whole and grate them yourself (and make sure they are whole milk and low-moisture so again you don't end up with a soggy bottom). D.O.P./San Marzano-style canned tomatoes are a meme not worth the money either, look for "6 IN 1", Muir Glen, Tuttorosso, or Sclafani if you aren't buying generic.

For real in-depth discussion on ingredients, techniques, and recipes browse here:
pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php
pizzamaking.com/pizza-recipes.html

If OP is serious he should also have a digital kitchen scale to get the hydration % down for his dough ferment.

Is this 'za 'tism?

Nah, I didn't see the term "za" in that post, or any other stupid memewords either.

I'd say that the "tism", as you "people" put it, lies in your post.

let the dough ferment for 3 ays
blast oven at full heat with pizza stone inside
das it

What do we think of a full-on baking steel( not a baking tray) Vs a pizza stone?

>Serious helpful reply
>Le autism xDDD
Go back toreddit

Make absolutely sure it does not come out looking like whatever that shit is in your picture.

here's some pizzas I've made like this, posted them here on some earlier threads as well
I made like 500+ pizzas last year, bit less this summer cause my old fridge was dicks and too fucking cold so couldn't make proper dough during summer.
Mind the shit pics

>ferment for 3 days

in the fridge?

Any thick, heavy, heat-stable material works.

Which is superior could be calculated based on the mass of the object and it's specific heat capacity. The thicker and heavier the better.

I use a piece of granite. It was a piece of scrap left over from a contractor who makes granite countertops for kitchens and bathrooms. Whenever they cut out a hole for a sink they end up with a piece of stone that's perfect for baking on. You can often get them for free or for a very low price from places that do stone counters.

experimented with eggplant on pizza, the slices were 2THICC in this one
from what I found, half a centimeter is best thickness, fry them on a hot as fuck dry pan before hand until both sides have bit of color, salt afterwards and grate same parm on top for good measure
other toppings were moz, goat cheese, caramelized onion and sunflower seeds if I remember correctly

What was your dough recipe besides letting it ferment 3 days? I really like the fact you got the large irregular air pockets in the crust. I've been trying to do that with a sourdough starter, 60% hydration and 24 hour ferment but haven't gotten anything like that.

Yeah, I had this 'cold cupboard' at my old flat that got cold during winter and experimenting found 10-15 celsius to be the ideal temp, closer to 10 if possible, but fridge works plenty fine.

I go close to 1:1 water flour ratio, usually just eye that shit but here's recipe I posted to some earlier thread:

My dough recipe is
~500g flour
~4-4,5 dl water
~1/4 tsp instant yeast
~1/4 tsp sugar (this is probably not even needed but I put it in out of habit)
~1,5 tsp salt
~2 tbsp olive oil
this makes 4 dough balls

just throw everything to a bowl and mix that shit, then let it rise in the fridge for 2-3 days, ideal temperature is between 10-15 celsius and 3 days of rising from my experience
And I usually let my dough rise for 2-3 days, separate the dough in 4 portions, roll them in to balls and cling wrap them and throw them in the fridge and use whenever I feel like eatin pizza. I've heard they freeze well too but never tried that myself.

All that being said, you should start with less moist dough just to get better feel to actually shaping the pizzas and work your way as you feel comfortable, that's what I did.
Something like 470g of flour and 3,75-4 dl of water probably oughta work

Also the 3 day ferment is kinda essential for those real nice air bubbles
You can see here: in the front those bit paler tiny spots on the browned parts. That's a sign you have dough that has fermented enough.

sugar is for yeast, its their food

t. Flyover cuck

This is actually better pic for those spots: as the dough is more visible

Pic related was fun experiment, I love strawberry goat cheese salad
I also love goat cheese and arugula on pizza
1 + 1 = moz, bit of goat cheese and some sunflower seeds in the oven, after it was done, topped it with arugula, more goat cheese, strawberries, more sunflower seeds and balsamic reduction
The creamy mozzarella and rich umami tomato sauce worked real well with sweet strawberries, though I should have picked even sweeter variety, the sweetness got kinda drowned by all the saltiness and creaminess.

I fucked around with home made pizza for a couple of months, however, my dough recipe was lost when my old computer died. Regardless, here are some things I learned that improved my end product.

1. Measure by weight, not by volume when making your dough.
- baking isn't as forgiving, and measurements by volume can vary widely and fuck up your product. Use a scale.
2. Use bakers percentages
- figure it out
3. Wet doughs make better pizza
- 60% is a good starting point. Make your dough, add your yeast, and allow it to ferment in the fridge for at least 24 hours. The slow ferment always offers a better product.
4. Use a stone
- position it about 4 inches below your broiler, and preheat it for at least a half hour on max setting, than with the broiler for 10 minutes before you add your pizza.
5. Use your broiler
- this is key, as you've got to use your broiler to give your stone its final bit of heat, and to provide enough heat to make your crust bubble up. It will only take you like 6 minutes to cook a pizza under the broiler. Practice, and adjust time as needed. Keep your oven door cracked so the broiler stays on throughout the cook.
6. Allow ingredients to come to room temp before putting on the pizza.
- same for the dough. You don't want anything going in the oven cold.

With enough practice, you can actually make a home oven pizza that is far superior to ANY local pizza chain.

Here was successful eggplant on pizza, it was tasty, and bit crisp and not watery limp mess without any texture.
The pizza itself went to shit though, minute or so too long in the oven and I think I did this with one day ferment time so the rising doesn't looks so nice.

That looks pretty good, user.

pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=46441.0
Observations:
>Baking on stone, the IR temps were hotter at 548 deg. F for the first Pizza, and cooler at 525 deg. F for the second Pizza. This is what one would expect. The first pizza baking on the stone along with opening up the oven would cool down the stone to some degree for the second launch.

>Baking on steel, the IR temps were cooler at 525 deg. F for the first Pizza, and hotter at 533 deg. F for the second Pizza. Maybe the oven kicked on between bakes, or when the IR reading was taken with the gun it was pointed at a spot on the steel where the previous Pizza did not

Conclusion:
>The Pizzas were very different in crust formation, texture, and taste. The stone produced a lighter colored crust, a very nice leathery chew and a slight bready pull and resistance to the texture with a more mellow flavor. The steel produced a darker colored crust with more blistering, a more delicate chew, and a more intense flavor.

Kenji confirms these result independently:
slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/09/the-pizza-lab-the-baking-steel-delivers.html
So it's kind of an apples & oranges thing where your preferences come into play.

OP here, making pizza right now

Dough ready for proofing
(i-its not actually in different sizes, it's just the camera lens playing tricks - I swear!)

My general rules/order
>Pizza stone is necessary. Many come in combo packs with a pizza paddle, which (while not necessary) is helpful
>Oven should be between 475-500
>Roll out dough onto floured parchment paper, put it in for ~5 minutes to parbake. Halfway through pop bubbles and turn pizza ~180 degrees
>Not too much sauce, thinly spread
>cheese, toppings, etc.
>Cook for around 10 minutes
>take parchment paper out from under pizza, cook directly on stone for 3-5 minutes
>Turn once in a while

Save up - they're useful and you can get cheap/good ones

not a fan of eggplant but visually that looks pretty good

Appreciate it m8, that one came out really nice if I say it myself. Tasted amazing too.
Really? Cause I thought that was pretty ugly pizza. I'm not really a big fan of eggplant either but I just decided to experiment with the toppings.
Made brussel sprout, bacon and caramelized onion pizza and burger pizza as well from the same dough, the former was amazing, the latter not so much, no pics though. And I used like 3 balls of dough just on the eggplant pizzas to figure out the formula of thickness and how to cook to not have mush that waters down rest of the pizza as a topping.

interesting thanks.

>how to cook to not have mush that waters down rest of the pizza as a topping.

Salt it before to remove some of the liquid, dude.

youtube.com/watch?v=9YA6om6FWJg

Salting eggplant to leech out some of the water content also reduces some of it's natural bitterness as well.

did u use enough water? the one on the top right is even cracking

I think I did
Probably didn't knead it well enough though

you don't need to par-bake

it has such a weird color and texture

I fucking love red onion on a pizza

Colour is probably because of the phone camera, texture seems fine to me
About to pop it in the oven - will post result shortly!

Looks ugly, tastes alright
Next time a little more tomato and a little shorter in the oven, and it should be very good

That's because of thermal conductivity. Metals will move heat a lot faster than ceramics.

If you want someone fast, just olive oil and cornmeal up a greek pita and put your toppings on it and bake at 425 on a pre-heated stone. Having a cheap peel is handy.

I bought a pizza pan. It makes pizza good. I can make the pizza on the pan and then put it in the oven easily instead of fucking around with a stone and I don't have to worry about it breaking like all stones eventually do. Also its fucking big because I make big pizzas for 3-4 people but you can get smaller ones if you want.

i unironically make a quesodilla and instead of topping it with another tortilla just put little pieces of cut up hot dog on top

Here is how I make my ghetto-ass pizza. I like thin crust, and fast, I probably do a lot of things wrong, but it makes reasonable pizza with limited time and no specialized equipment. People I've served it to have commented "delicious" and "a little bit better than shitty chain restaurant pizza"

Sauce: I usually just blend some tomatoes, and cook in a pot with some olive oil, salt, basil. oregano, cracked red pepper, and Worcestershire.

Dough: Fermenting and waiting and shit is for losers and also patient people. Get you some hot water; one cup, add a teaspoon of yeast, add some salt, bit of sugar, and olive oil, wait about 5 minutes, add to two cups of flour and some more salt and mix, add more flour until it isn't too sticky, but still a little bit.

Preparation: Stove, 500f. Get your shitty ass baking sheet out, and grease liberally with olive oil you would think this would make it greasy as fuck, but it doesn't somehow, spread pizza dough out on sheet to your preferred shape. Then spread olive oil on the top of the dough too, then add your sauce and assorted cheese and toppings. 15 minutes.

Entire process is maybe 30 minutes.

Maybe some day I will get a pizza stone and learn how to make not shit pizza, but this is a reasonable replacement until then.

It's completely unnecessary, and the fact that you don't that indicates that you don't know jack shit about anything else in that recipe.

get a baking/grilling stone.

I have never seen anyone make a quesadilla with two tortillas, it's always one folded.

use your broiler.

i can get my cooking surface up to 620 degrees with the broiler.

and don't be opposed to par-baking the crust. it the dough needs longer to cook than the toppings.

Basically just makes twice as much quesadilla.

I found the best way was to cut half cm thick slices, then patting dry with paper towels and throwing to dry pan, then salting afterwards

Same here m8, that's why lot of my pizzas have them. Cutting them really thin makes them fucking magical after baking.

I'd love to eat one of your pizzas some time.

How do I properly drain mozzarella before putting it on pizza
It always leaves a gooey mess on top

I have been making great pizza for years. Prep has been explained in this thread already but I also want to add that you should wrap the whole thing in aluminium foil on both sides using two sheets to make it "airtight". It will turn out great and won't be a dry piece of concrete when you take it out, just try it.

Just use a shredded mozzarella* product of your choice.

Costs too much, I'd rather do it myself

Now melts!

Maybe use a cheesecloth and twist carefully

Probably wrap it in cheese cloth and put pressure on it
But honestly I never had issues with just using moz straight outta the package, but then I also have stone and I blast the oven at 300 celsius every time.

>How do I properly drain mozzarella
you dont, buy mozzarella sticks

looks disgusting

thats what any pizzeria uses

You can't make REAL pizza without a wood oven

Any ideas for toppings ? I'm relatively new to making pizzas. I have some pork salami, bacon , capsicum , red onions , and pineapples (love em) .

Olives and mushrooms

Thoughts on using the broiler for making oven pizza?

Pizza stone, plus switching on the grill just before you put the pizza inside. Still not a full on Neapolitan, but getting somewhat nearer to the goal.

Mushrooms are always great on pizza, but only if you cook them properly. I've had improperly cooked mushrooms on pizza before, and it just tastes wrong.

basil is god tier

I don't like mushrooms :/ . I have green olives tho . I'll add them. I wish jalapenos were more readily available here in India . I bet they would taste nice

What spices do you guys love? I know oregano is pretty much de rigeur, but I love putting on some Chinese 5 spice every know and then.

I like making cheesy olive bread

Simple and yummy.

Pizza dough tastes much better if it is made really wet and it helps if you do a slow rise in the fridge for a couple days.

I read this one article about a guy who hacked his oven to disable a temperature limiter. He claims he got his conventional oven up to 800 degrees F. Not sure whether he is a genious or if he is going to burn his house down.

This makes a big difference. Op would be surprized.

People you add sugar to their dough are the same people who eat kraft mac n cheese

>hacked his oven
I've also heard of people who break the locking mechanism that prevents opening during self-clean and it will get over 800F.

It's the only way to go, user.

San Marzano is meme tier? I always heard it was hands-down the best.

Olive oil, sieved tomatoes and good quality buffalo mozzarella. If you're in the US you might as well give up now, you guys can't make cheese for shit and I don't think any major companies are importing the good stuff from Italy.

The most important thing about a yeast driven pizza dough is that you allow the yeast to DIE. You need to let your yeast die so it doesn't taste like shit.

ok?

Try making thinner dough that worked for me

Anyone that talks about meme tiers lets chantards dictate how he talks. He probably references memes in real life.

How would you cook them?

seems too dry

unfortunately my tray isnt big enough, so it ends up square

how do I slow rise in the fridge? Just make the dough and put in in there? How do I store it in a plastic bag or open air?