Dogs in restaurants and grocery stores

I like dogs and I'm okay if blind people take their actual service dogs everywhere, but what's with allowing all these dogs in grocery stores and restaurants? Isn't that unsanitary? Aren't 99% of these people just abusing the service dog laws with their "comfort pets"

>go to grocery store
>lady with lap dog in her cart, another with a full size doggo walking isle
>go to lunch
>fat girl with full size dog sitting next to the table, which she feeds scraps

Am I just overreacting?

Other urls found in this thread:

ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html
ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html#cert
anythingpawsable.com/cant-pet-service-dogs/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_service_dog
youtube.com/watch?v=keAksO6j6fg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What's not to like?

i don't know where you live but where I live they aren't allowed unless it's a service dog. people can eat with their dogs at outdoor tables though

Fun fact: the ADA no longer recognizes emotional support animals as service animals. You can legally kick these people out if you wished.

I like dogs. I have a few of them. I don't bring them into grocery stores or inside restaurants.

Is this true? Do you have a source? I'm not having much luck in Google.

I just sat on a 4 hour flight with a lady who had a dog on the plane. When I asked how she got a dog on the plane, she said "it's an emotional support dog" with a smile. I see more and more dogs on flights now.

It's become quite the problem here. But maybe I'm just overreacting to change.

>Is this true? Do you have a source? I'm not having much luck in Google.
ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html

>Q3. Are emotional support, therapy, comfort, or companion animals considered service animals under the ADA?
>A. No. These terms are used to describe animals that provide comfort just by being with a person. Because they have not been trained to perform a specific job or task, they do not qualify as service animals under the ADA. However, some State or local governments have laws that allow people to take emotional support animals into public places. You may check with your State and local government agencies to find out about these laws.

>Q4. If someone's dog calms them when having an anxiety attack, does this qualify it as a service animal?
>A. It depends. The ADA makes a distinction between psychiatric service animals and emotional support animals. If the dog has been trained to sense that an anxiety attack is about to happen and take a specific action to help avoid the attack or lessen its impact, that would qualify as a service animal. However, if the dog's mere presence provides comfort, that would not be considered a service animal under the ADA.

I'm cool with doggos being allowed in outdoor setting's at restaurants, but OP is correct in that people abuse the system so they can bring there puppers anywhere...and those people can FUCK OFF.

I've got two and I leave them behind or chain them up outside. The only thing that makes me more upset is people who leave there dogs in a hot car.

In the US, you can take your dog anywhere. Doesn't need a vest. Of course, you can buy a vest and a certificate online for $30 - there is no official certification program in the US. There is no way to prove your dog is or is not a service animal in any way that matters to a store. And the store can't do jack shit about it because the ADA made all these laws a thing, but had no foresight to establish a way to oversee it and enforce it to prevent fraud.

You will know a real service dog when you see one. 4 years of professional training from birth leaves the dog so calm you'd think it was a stuffed animal. It disregards all humans, all food, and everything else interesting. It stands there, tail down, the entire time. No jumping, no barking, no begging, no wandering, no pulling, they practically look depressed. The level of discipline this dogs have is insane. Also, it won't be a fucking lap dog. Or any dog weighing less than 65 pounds.

99% of the dogs you see are "emotional support animals" - which can be snakes and guinea pigs, or anything else, and they're protected under the ADA because hippies are fucking retarded and prioritized feelings over a program to control the monster they created.

>It's become quite the problem here.

What specifically is the problem? Most service dogs I've been around are well trained and don't bother people, make a mess, etc. What are these dogs doing, exactly?

A plane isn't as bad as a grocery store.

IS IT INAPPROPRIATE TO PET A LEGIT SERVICE DOG?

This question has always bothered me.

emotional support dogs are still protected in every state even if they not called service animals. No one will be kicking them off planes or out of restaurants. There are legal differences, such as the penalty for theft or assault on a service dog (a real service dog is worth roughly $18,000 and the law recognizes that). But in regards to disabilities and entry permitted, it's the same right now.

Why wouldn't it be? Some people are allergic to dogs and dander and the air is circulated in the fuselage.

I don't like them in restaurants around my food

>There is no way to prove your dog is or is not a service animal in any way that matters to a store. And the store can't do jack shit about it because the ADA made all these laws a thing, but had no foresight to establish a way to oversee it and enforce it to prevent fraud.

It thought you were full of shit but you're not. That's crazy!

>ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html#cert

>Most service dogs I've been around are well trained

That's the problem. Family pets are not service dogs, and they're not trained. Hell, my dogs have been professional trained including 40 hours of socialization training, but they're still nowhere near as well-behaved as a service dog when in public where everything is new and fun.

yes, unless the owner consents

Yes, it is. Never interact with a service dog.
>anythingpawsable.com/cant-pet-service-dogs/

Maybe I don't want to sit next to a dog simply because someone figured out how to scam the disability system? Maybe some lady in a black business suit that has to go to a meeting after doesn't want dog hair all over her legs?

For sanitary reasons. People could be allergic to dogs in any situation, but dogs interacting with food adds an extra layer of grossness.

Q17. Does the ADA require that service animals be certified as service animals?

A. No. Covered entities may not require documentation, such as proof that the animal has been certified, trained, or licensed as a service animal, as a condition for entry.

There are individuals and organizations that sell service animal certification or registration documents online. These documents do not convey any rights under the ADA and the Department of Justice does not recognize them as proof that the dog is a service animal.

nice.

My uncle has one and people pet it but it just doesn't respond like a normal dog does. It ignores the pets or moves away/back toward him.

But is inconveniencing someone or annoying someone really as bad as possible food contamination?

I'm not going to lie. My jimmies are a bit rustled.

>Isn't that unsanitary?

It's less unsanitary than the humans are. We share more pathogens with each other than with dogs and we're much more likely to grope merchandise with unwashed hands.

Inappropriate without the owner's consent of course, and appropriate with consent. The trick is asking the owner if you can pet it, because you can't know if the owner is a stuck-up prick and won't flip out at you.

>I thought you were full of shit but you're not. That's crazy!
>ifonlyyouknewhowbaditis.jpg

I guess so? Being honest, I work in the transportation industry, and I'm given carte blanche to reject these sort of people from travelling without kenneling the animal (which you don't have to with service animals) so I guess I'm unfamiliar with how other industries approach it.

All I know is that I get some sort of sick Schadenfreude pleasure in informing these people that their 6 lbs. Yorkshire needs to be locked up.

They serve food on the plane, for one thing. People can be allergic to dogs, like my sister. Also there is no place for the dog to take a shit, which is why on one flight I witnessed one (luckily not sitting next to me) having to get cleaned off the isle.

Real service dogs are always working. You don't start a conversation with an firefighter when he's trying to protect and save lives. Same thing. You shouldn't even ask to pet them, because it puts the owner in the weird position of not wanting to be rude, but knowing the dog should not be petted.

Why are people so obsessed with petting other peoples dogs?

>lone for taking the bus
>we let the blind guy with a service dog get in first
>blind buy takes front sit, dog lays on the floor covering the entire space for walking into the bus, 90% of it is unacsessible
>it was a big dog
>dog growls at anyonne trying to walk across him
fuck blind people

Because animals are a lot more fun when you know that someone else is going to be the one picking up their shit in a little baggie 2 hours from now.

Maybe I'll start feeding them Taco Bell so they get the shits. I know this will work from experience on my own Taco Bell eating.

no, petting service dogs distracts them from their job helping blind peple
that blind person may really need the dog at that moment and may injure himself if the dog ist paying attention
you dont pet a service dog the same way you dont pet a construction worker

>doesn't pet construction workers
I pet mexicans and talk to them in baby spanish.

besos besos qQUUUEEEE GGUUUAAAPPOOOO

>>ifonlyyouknewhowbaditis.jpg
Elaborate.

Because all dogs are wonderful creatures and I love them.

but fuck cats. amirite?

Cats are for lazy people who don't like the outdoors.

>emotional support animal

Is this limited to dogs? What if I need to bring my snek with me for support?

This is about as close to an emotional support dog as I think is acceptable, autism jokes aside:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_service_dog

I'm not lazy but you got me on not really being the outdoorsy type. Side note: my extreme disinterest in owning a dog really puts me at a disadvantage in the dating world. Ugh. Why is virtually everyone a dog person!? I'm fairly certain as a child I must have had a terrible experience with a dog that I've suppressed over the years

I also love cats.

This is what cat people are always like. No one cares, go fuck yourself.

Dog people wear me out. I love dogs but dog people are fucking awful. Especially dog people that don't have kids, because the dog then becomes their kid.

Tell me user who hurt you to make you speak with such disdain to total strangers

>Isn't that unsanitary?
No.

Who is ever going to let a strange fat autistic man feed their dog Taco Bell?

I'll wear my "Please be patient I have autism" sweater.

Didn't realize I needed permission

The true face of autism

Do you really think cat people aren't the same? Let me give you an example.

Tomorrow, I need to take my dog (180lb Great Pyrenees) and my mother-in-law's cat (old, single lady, no kids) to the vet at 7am. Dog for annual shots, cat to get dental surgery.

The cat hates dogs. Terrified of them. Also has travel anxiety. I tell my wife no problem, I'll put her carrier in the trunk with a flashlight. It's 7:30am, nice and cool, the trunk is ventilated to the inside, she won't be able to see the dog or any surroundings to quell both the dog-phobia and the travel anxiety, dog sits in the back seat, everyone wins. Then my mother in law yells at me for 5 minutes about how that's not funny and how cruel it is etc etc.

The problem is people not understanding animals are animals and don't have the same mindset as humans. It's the same debate you see about crating dogs. People don't understand how a dog could enjoy it, because they project all their human emotions and preferences onto the dog. This same mindset leads to many, many badly behaved dogs, by the way.

They think they're god damn human. And this isn't just about dogs and cats. Toss in snakes, geckos, gerbils, rabbits, etc. People treat all their pets like humans when they were not raised to love and respect animals for what they are. I will make an exception for certain birds, but that's another thread.

I hate people who bring in their "emotional support" animals with them
they're the worst people on earth
they give a bad rep to actual service animals

>mother-in-law
>no kids
how can she be your mother in law if she has no kids?

This is mostly accurate. Reminds me of how I kennel trained my dog.

Maybe it's just my area, but I basically never hear anyone talk about their cats. And I know they are around. Dog people never shut the fuck up about them.

>mother-in-law's cat (old, single lady, no kids)
>mother-in-law
>no kids
Run that by me again?

What if she's his wife's stepmom?

I used to be a cat person, definitely because of traumatic dog experiences as a child. As an adult though, I've spent some time around my neighbors' dogs and am slowly turning around. Most dogs are really sweet, even if they look scary. I find that if people are more cautious around animals, they're better with cats.

Dogs are also "more" than cats. A lot "more". More expensive to maintain, more work, more time, more responsibility, more needs, more space, more fun, more bonding, more tricks, more smell, more play, more rewarding, more quality cuddles, more interaction, more readable reactions, more outings, more possibilities.

They are basically a bigger part of people's lives because they consume so much more of it. That doesn't make them better than cats (and I agree about people not talking about their cats all the time). They're just a different class of pet for a different type of person. To each their own.

do you jackasses really not comprehend that its possible to have grown children that don't live you with you? not all of us are millennials that will live with our parents until we're 40.

just cause she's living alone
doesn't mean that she doesn't have a kid

Congratulations! You're the bitter asshole all children fear. How does it feel to be such a heartless dick?

Cat people BTFO.

>more fun, more bonding
>That doesn't make them better than cats

It's unsanitary. But whatever. I'm going to die someday anyway. I eat food to enjoy my time alive, and I can't just muster up concern about doggo in my grocery store/restaurant.

I worked at walmart. We are not allowed to tell anyone to not have an animal in a store. Unless the animal starts being aggressive we cant do anything. We aren't even supposed to acknowledge the animal. Even a "cute dog" is not allowed. "Is that a service animal?" is grounds for termination. If it shits, we just have to clean it up.

I'm pretty sure you could come in with a live alligator and we couldnt do anything.

This is what the American legal system has created. A bunch of companies with stupid policies afraid of getting sued.

I don't mind them at all, provided the dog doesn't act up or shit everywhere, and I've honestly never seen that happen.

Dogs are no more dirty than filthy children who run around touching everything while they scream and throw. I see that happen every time I go to grocery stores and it is common in restaurants. Same with people coughing/sneezing openly and the like.

I fly everywhere with my cat. I pay $100 to do so...

How pray tell is a dog sleeping under a table 100 feet away from where I'm eating dinner "unsanitary" for me?

I work at a store and we usually let them in if:
>it's a puppy
>it's a service dog
>it's too hot outside for the dog to be in a car
>it's small and obedient (sits in a cart or the owner carries it with them)

You're fucking autistic if you think that "(old, single lady, no kids)" doesn't imply that the woman is an old maid.

>"I don't own a car"
>because it's currently at the repair shop

My mom occasionally has a puppy that needs to be prepared for a service job, she has to make it housebroken, teach it basic commands, monthly training sessions, and take it all over town and on the bus, train etc.
When it is in training, it will wear a vest, so it will associate that vest with being 'and work' and having to be super attentive.
The vest has DO NOT TOUCH I'M WORKING in big bold letters on it, and people from outside town (my mom is well know around town by now) occasionally still just go to pet it or call it, and sometimes even act offended when my mom tells them not to. (Most people are very understanding and friendly though.)
There have been several cases of service dogs that got distracted by illiterate or plain rude/selfish people, and then the owner got an epilepsy attack or whatever their ailment is, and got seriously hurt.
So, if you see a dog with a vest, please do not even try to catch its attention, and certainly do not touch it. Ask the owner if you really want to, but chances are very real you'll get a no, for above reasons.
And even so, I think you should always ask permission for touching any dog, you can not know how it (or the owner) will react.

I met a diabetic service dog the other day. Dirtiest dog I have ever seen. I don't really care if people have them but jesus christ bathe it and brush it if you're going to take it everywhere.

I don't think dogs are unhygienic. Much better than people touching shit.

It's also an ADA violation to ask for documentation, so I can literally slap a vest on my emotionally disturbed rescue pit bull and if you try to stop it from mauling someone you just violated my 4th amendment rights

Also cats >>> dogs

user want pet servy doggy....now!!!!!!!!

I saw these 2 dykes at kroger put their chihuahua in one of those kiddie racing carts with the steering wheels... i was disgusted they were treating it like an actual child.

Youre overreacting, in most cases those dogs are more hygenic then half the people in the fucking stores. youre talking about an animal whose saliva is a very effective anti microbial substance.

Actually, misbehaving animals can be kicked out with no problems, even if they are legit service animals.

youtube.com/watch?v=keAksO6j6fg

These cunts with their "support" animals really piss me the fuck off.
I asked one bitch in a supermarket what her dog is doing inside. "You can't ask me that!"
>the fuck i can't, bitch, i don't work for the store and your disgusting mongrel's hair is getting all over the produce. what is the dog for?
"Fuck you, asshole. It's an emotional support animal."
>you seem to have no problem voicing indignation and showing emotions, so again: the fuck is your dog doing in the store?
The management came after the dog took a piss in the trolley and asked the bitch to leave and not come back.
All the while, she was screaming that it was discrimination and that she was gonna sue.
I actually saw the manager a month or so back and asked him what ever happened to the impending suit. He said he hadn't heard anything yet and he hasn't seen the bitch since that encounter. The incident in question happened in 2014.
Also, I have a legit physical disability. I try no to inconvenience people with it, though. When these perfectly able-bodied fuckwits take advantage of a system meant to help me and people like me, it makes those of us who actually need it look bad. I hope she chokes, the fat cunt.

Some broad brings her mutt in my store I'll tell her to get the fuck out, and I only sells snacks and produce (which certainly doesn't need dogs licking), let alone meat or anything. I can tell if it's a real service dog or not, it's so fucking obvious you need to have a service dog yourself if you can't see it. Real service dogs are like robots rather than pets.

I tell people to take their dogs out all the time. Most do so, the few that talk back about their service dog either need to make a compelling argument (they never do, the real service dogs are so obvious from the fakes), or I come around the counter and escort them out.

There's a difference between offspring and kids/children. Kids/children generally refers to minors in the care of their parents or guardians. As in, living at home. When it comes to how much of your life is taken up by offspring, kids are the only ones that matter. The ones in your house, under your care.

>you should always ask permission before touching any dog

The laws protect equal access and opportunity.

Like, you can't turn away a pregnant woman because she's pregnant. But, that doesn't mean you have to allow her to walk around setting things on fire in your store, either. Same goes for service animals. If you deem them a disturbance, kick them the fuck out. You are only legally obligated to permit their entry and make your store accessible, not to keep them there regardless of behavior.

A lot of this fake service dog owners don't get that. I am constantly kicking them the fuck out of my diner, and I hand them an information sheet when I do explaining why they can fuck off and not bother with the shallow legal threats. Paying customers don't like rowdy dogs all over the place, jumping on kids, slobbering on produce, barking at strollers, pissing on endcaps.

whenever im watching uk television and I see some gay cunt with their dog in a pub a get extremely angry. I cant imagine someone having the lack of self-awareness to bring a dog to a restaurant

>

The next plane crash they will differentiate between human and dog souls.

Reminded of a stupid gook I used to work with. Service animals are not meant to be interacted with as it can be detrimental to their owner and goes against their training. Her roommate tried to bring an alleged service animal, this tiny little yorki, into the bar we work at. The manager wouldn't allow it and had the dog stay by the entrance.

My coworker decided to start playing with the dog and the entire staff had to explain why she was fucking up like a champion.

Really don't mind seeing doggos at the supermarket.

Most of the time I can guarantee they'll be more behaved and quieter than children.

>he doesn't know the difference between a pub and a restaurant.
Retard.

Are you the same poster always posting this bitch?

i must know more, what exactly did fido pick for his doggy dinner?

This.
And if your "Service dog" does any of that shit, IT ISN'T A SERVICE DOG!

Are you mocking or agreeing?

I'm gonna guess it's 2 or 3 people. Shittiest forced "meme" ever.

You're not better than her. If you torture an animal by making it live inside and deal with your sadness you are truly lost.

at my store we can kick them out for being disruptive, i.e. shitting/pissing on the floor, barking a lot/howling, etc.
some girl who was a major bitch to me got kicked out for her noisy, untrained emotional support dog. was a good day.