Do you guys like scrapple?

Do you guys like scrapple?

dunno, first tell me what scrapple is

My dad eats this stuff all the time, I've always kept my distance from it

It's spam except with offal and no nitrates to extend the shelf life. I find the liver taste too rich to eat a lot of.

Only had it once at a diner while passing through Harrisburg PA. Tasted pretty good, but the texture seemed odd to me. Would probably order again.

Fried scrapple is amazing. I live in central NJ, can't really find it around me, but the further south you go, the more common it gets.
Pork roll is also delicious.

you won't like it if you find out

There's actually worse shit in pepperoni and bologna than scrapple

Yes, also creamed dried beef

try me

Chipped beef on toast with white gravy is excellent stuff.

PA Dutch thing. It's the meat from a hog's head and some of the organs ground up into a loaf with cornmeal, fat and spices. Usually that loaf is sliced and fried until it's crispy on the outside, but still a little soft on the inside. In terms of flavor it's similar to haggis, so you could think of it as German American haggis. Kind of like the goetta you find in Ohio is like the German American take on Irish white pudding.

hog's head you say? I'd give it a try as long as it doesn't include brains

I don't know about brains. I do know my family ate it growing up, since I have PA German American on both sides. We didn't live in PA, though, so it's something my parents would buy it whenever we visited relatives there. Just another of those kind of strange regional foods that still hang on in some parts of the country. It's not bad, but neither is it something I'd go out of my way to get. But if you're in PA, have never tried it and have the opportunity it'd be worth doing. In my family it was served for breakfast with eggs and toast. The favored condiment was Heinz Chili Sauce (basically ever-so-slightly-spicy ketchup). Just typing this reminds me of being, like, five years old.

They sell it at the farmer's market but the ingredients look kinda sketchy, usually not so many unfamiliar items in farmer's market food and I fear the quality might be low. Should I try it or is there something similar but better tasting?

Fried in bacon grease, I always covered mine in catsup, had to clear our plates.

Head over to Columbus Farmer's Market. It is just a bit south of literal central Jersey. The Amish market there does as good a scrapple as you can get anywhere.

>I fear the quality might be low.
It's not a gourmet thing. It's something farm people made out of the odds and ends of a slaughtered hog along with some filler to stockpile more food for the winter. And of course it's fattening as fuck because farm people back then worked hard - they could burn 3000-4000 calories in a day. So some extra fat and filler in your breakfast loaf made as much sense as a piece of pie after lunch.

Delaware here. Yup. Needs to be extra crispy on the outside though.Try it on pizza. You wont regret it.

Seems like you could make it gourmet. I really like country pate and I'm surprised there isn't a butcher who sells it at the farmer's market.

Its nothing like spam. If you are going to compate it to anything it would be livermush