Worst Kitchen Injury

What's the worst accident you've witnessed/had while cooking?

Large eye-shaped burn scar on my right arm from hot grease.

Eye shaped?

>Be me
>Working in a town fair
>"Cook" at a pasta stand
>Basically I had to dump pasta in boiling water for all the night
>Stand next to me is from a tard association or whatever
>They do hot dogs and french fries
>There are tards and normal people working together
>Tards get the money and the orders
>Normal people cook
>There's this tard with also CIPA (the condition that doesn't allow you to feel pain)
>He's standing around not doing anything
>Hear the deep fryer bing
>Somehow it's left unattended
>The tard hears it
>Probably thinks about doing the right thing
>Tries to raise the basket
>It's stuck or whatever, probably had to press something too to lift for safety reasons who knows
>He then decides to take fries out by hand
>Goes elbow deep in the hot oil
>Normal guy see it when it's too late
>Rushed to the first aid stand
>Never hear of him again

almond shaped

at least he didn't feel it

Fuckin tripped on a piece of dogshit and knocked over a pot of boiling grease all over my body. I'm a quadriplegic now because I wasn't found for days.

nothing extremely bad, a waitress basically jammed a knife into her hand when she bumped into a wall

squirted a bit of blood and had to be stitched, but it completely healed in like 2 or 3 weeks

Jesus fucking christ that made me cringe so bad
>elbow deep
What is it, skin grafting or amputation?
god dammit

Here's mine

>Slow day, head chef made us clean up the kitchen
>Almost everything's done, only fridge inventory and de-greasing the cooker hood left
>Disarm the hood to clean up the panels from the hood
>Tiny female chef was handing them down to others so they could clean them
>Grabs first panel on a sharp end, cuts her anular and index fingers, drops it instinctively
>Panel falls corner-first in another chef's eyebrow, knocking him out unconscious and opening up a half an inch gash
>Blood instantly pours everywhere, I didn't know the human body had that much pressure, looked like a broken steam pipe
>Tiny chef gasps and passes out, falls on her back, drags several plates and pans down with her
>Now the whole kitchen floor, most of our pans and around 10 broken plates are covered in blood
>E.R. gets there in about 10, I must've used at least 2 paper rolls but i managed to stop the blood flow briefly
>Girl gets 4 stitches on each finger
>Other chef gets 12 and a nasty keloid scar, almost a fourth of his eyebrow's missing
>They get married 3 years later

Blood gets really sticky when it dries up, it's almost like when you pour a sugary drink on your skin, quite unconfortable, almost a week after I kept smelling it, too.

Pic related, sort of what the cut looked like

>only friend of mine who has ever worked at restaurants
>get off 10 hr shift
>go to friend's house
>he asks me to check on something in the oven
>grab pan by handle despite it being in the oven because I spent all day grabbing pans outside of one
still the only time I've ever burned myself
I've also never cut myself in the kitchen outside of opening hard plastic packaging for something, which has happened 4 times. I also constantly scrape my elbow on random things. Never any of the normal or bad injuries

That's actually a really nice story, if only because of the ending.

I can just see them next to each other at a hospital holding hands with respirators and shit like it's a movie.

I stepped on a Dorito with my bare foot ;'(

I don't have one but bump

>cooking with sister
>trading banter, laughing
>she's opening up a can of green chiles
>using the can's lid to strain them
>she slips
>ask if she's okay
>she say yes
>grab can o' chiles
>there's half a finger in it
>turn to sister
>that's her half of a finger
>she didn't feel it

It really is amazing how much blood you can lose and not need a transfusion. When I was shot in the face during an armed robbery with a .25 caliber blood was shooting out of the bullet hole like a fountain. My shirt and pants were soaked in blood and they still didn't give me a transfusion. I didn't pass out or go into shock like a girlish faggot, though.

>I didn't pass out or go into shock like a girlish faggot, though.
>I didn't perform an autonomic function and that's something to be proud of
So how many shiny big boy medals were you awarded at the hospital for being such a lil' trooper?

I think the unconscious part was from the strike itself, not the blood loss

>tard with also CIPA

>no natural warning signals and alarms to protect you from bodily harm
>no logical ability to protect you from bodily harm
Holy shit, how did he survive past age four at the oldest?

I remember my mum used to have one of those Mandolin slicers when I was younger. It was pretty good, but the soft bitch always used her hand to hold the veg rather than the handle.

I think what happened next is pretty obvious. She ended up slicing a huge chunk of skin off her palm.

>Guy at work cleaning Burger Clam grill
>Chemicals and shit work best when the equipment is hot
>Goes to close the clam so the cleaning shit works on both halves
>Ejects hot harsh de-greaser and oven cleaner in his face

He's alright, went to hospital pretty sharpish

None. They cut my clothes off in the ER to ensure there were no other penetrations or exit wounds, xray'd my head to see if the bullet was still present, put me in a room to await suturing with a mincing faggot of a nurse who threw a bitchfit when I told him I was going to puke and he handed me a little bedpan which of course overflowed with the coagulated blood I had swallowed.

>puking
pussy

So how did it scar?
Is it too noticeable?

Dropped a can of beans on my big toe. It was one of them x-large fuckers too. Well watching the progression of the injury at least kept me entertained the next couple months.

>decide to make hot sauce
>get prepped and start simmering
>underestimate the draw of my shitty ventilation
>plumes of smoke that burn my lungs
>tie my shirt over my face, get the fan in the window
>well that was embarrassing, how could I fuck up harder?
>finish the sauce, start to put away and clean up
>be careful to wash hands
>decide to shower
>take a piss
>grab dick, don't think anything of it
>halfway through that shit starts to heat up
>whole thing is on fire, jump in the shower to try and scrub it off
>won't come off
>burns me for half an hour
>gf comes home to find me scrubbing my dick in the shower, cursing myself out loud

Wear gloves if you make hot sauce.

I once read that what fucked up people with the plague was their inability to feel pain anymore meaning mouses could go to town with them.

>short term memory issues from abusing the fuck out of xanax when I was younger
>seared a filet mignon and stuck the frying pan in the oven to finish it
>take it out, put the filet mignon on a plate
>forgot that the pan was hot so when I got up to get a drink about a minute later I grabbed it by the handle to try to put it in the sink

Blistered up really bad and left a big mark on my palm.

First day on the job. Work was a pizza bistro place but we made paninis with bacon. Used a baking sheet (shallow rectangular one idk the name) on top of another one to cook bacon. Super retarded but we have no other choice. Boss takes baking sheet out of (brick) oven and spills hot bacon grease on wrist. Immediate 3rd degree burn and nasty blistering.
I fucking hate that job.

>doesn't ferment his peppers in a salt brine for a superior result without the issues.

It's 2017, dude, you can do this. Grandma's hotsauce method died with her.

I ordered eggs benniget.
Server asks how I would like my eggs
Confused and stoned I replied scrambled for some reason
Ate the food
Had they Worst food poisoning I had ever experienced.
Felt like heart attacks followed by puking Every 10 min.
Camping no hospital around for hours.
Heart attacks feeling think and puking for 2 days straight
Crawled out of tent at night to puke and have heart stabbing pains.
Crawled into woods pasted out from pain
Woke up next to dead dear carcass rotting
Drank some alcohol and pains and pukes went away

Splashed hot fat in my eyes cooking steak when I was a kid and burned a hole in my cornea, still have a blind spot to this day

Getting something out of the toaster oven without gloves

>mouses
Please get help

>eggs benniget.
>Had they Worst food poisoning
>Heart attacks feeling think
>pasted out from pain
>dead dear carcass rotting

Nigga's crispy

I worked in restaurants throughout my teens and a couple of years in my late 20's on weekends. Worst I've had is probably a cut of some sort but people around me? WOW! I've seen some bad ones.
>when emptying fryer we don't let oil cool, we just drain it and bring it out.
>deep fryer waste bucket has a rickety handle and holes by said handle too, management aware for over a month and "well get a new one tomorrow".
>we're in the talks about refusing to do it till they get a new one.
come back next weekend and heard that young line kid was bringing out bucket and the handle failed. In his attempt to throw the grease to the side instead of on top of him it went all over his arm.

>quick fryer story 2
>large order of wings come in during rush
>in a panic the new kid just drops a whole bag of wings... Which were completely frozen.
>kaboom

>working in deli
>fellow employee goes too quick and cuts a bologna sliced piece of skin off his palm.
>didn't realize till glove began to fill with blood since cut was so clean.

Wat

I've never heard of this, link to recipe?

Also my nan is alive, fuk u

I've never actually hurt myself while cooking, all of my kitchen mishaps happen while cleaning. Just last night I cut a huge gash in my hand between my thumb and forefinger while putting a knife back in its case.

desusenpai if he dipped he's arm in really thick batter he wouldn't have been burnt

ths nigga dead

Splashed boiling hot oil all over my chest cooking pancakes when I was a little boy.

>Am 13 and stupid, don't know proper cutting technique yet and want a bagel
>Holding bagel in left hand, knife in the right
>Thought I was home alone
>Mom come in kitchen to say hi
>startles me so bad I push knife through the rest of the bagel and into my left hand, and to the bone on my palm
>blood everywhere
>Mom tells me to toast bagel anyway while my dad wraps my hand before we drive to the ER (were poor)
>Eat my blood bagel on the way to ER
>Turns out I cut through the muscle, tendons, and nerves in my left hand and need like thirty surgical stitches

To this day (15-ish years later)I can't feel heat or cold in my left pointer finger.

But damn that was a great bagel.

>lift baking sheet out of oven
>lift up against heating element
aaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

>be 7
>parents left me alone with no food
>get hungry
>all we had was canned green beans
>no can opener
>grab the biggest knife I can and just start stabbing the top of the can
>miss and slice a line diagonally on my wrist
>see nothing but white at first then the blood starts gushing
>freak out and pass out
>wake up
>parents are still gone, wrist had stopped bleedings, and the can was still closed

The smell must have been awful.
>burning hair
>burning human flesh

>cooking eggs
>put them on a plate
>uncle comes in and rapes my ass
eggs were burnt

christ people are stupid

Bullshit. A can lid can't slice a fucking finger off.

At least everyone was ok.
Now everyone involved has a good story to tell.

Smear fat on the area effected by capsaicin. It dissolves in fat, but not water.

Either he developed it later or user was incorrect about his condition because everyone born like that has no fingers or eyesight. They eat their fingers and poke out their eyes when young and it's basically impossible to stop them without keeping them bound 24/7

its a fake story i just made up

No, what fucks you up with the plague is the whole dropping dead because of bacterial toxins thing.

You didn't know how to cut a bagel at 13?

Maybe half was a slight exaggeration. A lid won't cut through bone easily, but it could slide along it and take a good chunk out that way

Cooking while naked.
Eggs in oil spatter.

Friend of mine fried an egg and tried to flip it like a pancake. Ended up on top of his foot, got severe burns.

>heating oil in a pot to fry some extra crispy tots in
>bedroom is less than 10 feet away from kitchen
>leave hot oil unattended to go hit my bowl
>3 minutes later I smell smoke
>poke my head out to find the stove and nearby cabinets engulfed in flames
>panic.exe
>run 3 laps around the house before splashing a glass of water on the fire
>it roars back at me inches away from my face
>panic more
>fire somehow dies down as I'm about to call 911
>almost burned my house down for crispy tots
Terrifying.

People like you give stoners a bad name.

Not all injuries, but they fit
>Stabbed my thumb with a fork when I was five to see if I could do anything to the nail

>Have three brothers and a sister

>Youngest at the time got his hand dunked in
piping hot mashed potatoes by oldest brother

>Middle brother threw a two liter soda at sister, it exploded, still stains on the wall to this day

>everyone eating roast beef, one brother is goofing off see we're all laughing, second youngest starts gagging on a piece of beef, fucking somehow launches it into another room

>Brother's dad and older brother act like they're gonna throw second youngest into the oven, almost actually do it

Here's my favorite

>Be me, 9
>Brothers are 13 and 16
>Parents are gone for the night
>We're all sitting in the kitchen
>I'm drinking from a 2 liter like a hooligan
>Brothers start saying various phrases adding in "nigger" or "nigga"
>I'm laughing my ass off cause I think it's just another name for penis
>Start laughing while taking a sip
>Start choking
>Gag and throw up
>One of my brothers cant see people throw up, or else hell throw up too
>So before my puke even hits the ground, he is all the way down in the basement
>Other brother gets mad at me and goes to get cleaning supplies
>We clean up and have a fun rest of the night

>five kids
>not painting over soda stained wall
So how was it growing up in poverty?

kekus

>poooopy POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

what's an anular?

Ring finger for people with nice languages

Anular finger = ring finger

>underestimate the draw of my shitty ventilation

Overestimate*

I have scars all over my hands from trying to chop stuff up while wasted drunk, some of them were pretty bad and should have been stitched. Super glue works good in lieu, just bandage it tight.

I also got a moneyshot of scorching oil sprayed in my eye while frying mushrooms drunk as well, fucked my vision up for a couple days.

>get shitfaced with group of friends
>arrive back at apartment around 2am
>decide to fry up some breakfast
>grating hash browns
>drunkenly run hand against grater a couple times
>don't feel it
>potatoes are filled with my blood
>decide to fry and eat them anyway
>was pretty good IIRC

thx, i peed mysaelf in satisfaction over your answers anons

>cooking drunk

why even?

I haven't quite got the flavor right every time I've tried. Got any good recipes?

Oh dude I've been hit in the eye a couple times frying stuff. Both times were bending down to look at it, not terribly close but too close for safety. Hit my eyelid the first time. Second time learned my lesson. Shit was scary

I saw a truly final destination incident which i wish i could erase from my mind.

>other chef is making custard in a double steamer
>takes the top off to portion custard into containers
>finishes and picks up bottom to drain into sink
>she's walking towards the sink between a fridge and raw meat prep surface
>slips on what must have been some liquid on the floor
>loses grip of the pot
>It falls to the right and into the fridge door
>causes the water to splash and cascade down the fridge onto her
>she lashes out trying to push the pot away from directly above her
>pot is already upturned and she only succeeds in slapping the empty pot across the kitchen floor
>scalding water splashes/drenches her across the face and torso
>she writhes in pain as hot steam ruses from her
>meanwhile the pot is skidding across the tile floor into the path of another chef whilst carrying a glass platter of fruit ready to be refrigerated
>chef steps on one of the handles of the upturned pot and loses all friction to one foot
>slips forward but tries to hold onto the fruit platter
>ends up falling forward and smashing his front teeth into the glass plate which shatters and lacerates his gums

Blood and screaming people everywhere, would not recommend

Then make up the scar too faggot.
Does it look nice?

What happened in the aftermath?

More blood, more screaming, probably an ambulance

>buy new cheese grater
>grating some fresh queso for my chile rellenos
>cheese is like water
>suddenly feel a swipe
>pain in my thumb
>mfw grated a part of my thumb meat into cheese

I still have a scar, but it's right where the thumb joint is so it's not very noticeable.

was making german puff pancakes, recipe involved cooking them halfway in a pan then putting the whole thing in the oven for like 5 min. After I took it out I wanted to move the handle out of the way so did a full grip for a second before my hand started screaming. Thankfully It wasn't anything more than 1st degree burns, but seriously fuck burning your palm and fingertips. I was lucky I was in walking distance from college cause I don't think I would have been able to drive for at least a week.
There was also the time I was chopping carrots with a knife that was far too dull, pushed to hard and ended up chopping maybe half a ml off the tip of my thumb. Again, fuck any type of finger wound, no matter how minor it is your nerves scream.

>had just started working in kitchens
>the tempo slows down, really thirsty after the rush
>rather than walking out of the kitchen to grab a glass from the bar (because my apron was messy or some shit) or bother the waiters, since they are currently pretty busy still i instead decide to take a glass straight out of the dishwasher

>piping hot glass
>ice water

>glass explodes in my hand, cutting up the "webbing" between my index and middle finger and a few smaller scrapes
>tape up my hand and keep working
>some other place, later
>cleaning the place, currently doing friers
>they got a tap that you can turn to let the oil pour, we pour it through a siv, clean the firer and than pour the oil back in(unless it needed to be changed, ofcourse)
>turn the fryer of literally minutes before cleaning, cleaning takes only about 5 minutes
>pour the oil back in

>feel something hot on my leg
>REALLY HOT
>forgot to close the fucking tap
thankfully so did i have a pretty fucking sturdy pair of work pants and a pretty hefty apron, both of which i pretty much pulled off ASAP, i managed to get out of the situation with only a few small blisters on my right leg, they didn't even leave scars, but pulling off my pants in the middle of the kitchen was something i will never forget

Why the fuck didn't you just smoke while watching the food? Especially dealing with hot fry oil, ya ding dong

more
>cleaning griddle with a scraper
>it got one of those replaceable sharp blades
>finally done, but the scraper is dirty as fuck, grab some paper towels and scrunch them, wipe the scraper off
>held it in such a way that it the blade slits open my index
>three stitches and a decent amount of blood

besides those stories i don't really have anything else of substance, besides the time a drop of grease splat me right into the eye right of the griddle, or the time i managed to cut my palm on the spine of a knife, but both of them never resulted in anything more than momentary inconvenience

I once got some bone hurting juice on my bare skin, no gloves

Tried hanging myself in the pantry. It's huge and has wooden dowels to hang meats, garlic, etc. I took my tie, wrapped it around my neck, and tied it to the dowel. It was super short, but I wasn't thinking straight. When I let myself hang, the dowel and the shelving it was fastened to crashed onto my head. Never tried again after that.

Some drunk guy working the kitchen at a restaurant I frequent lopped off his entire index finger from the second knuckle. He then dropped it on the floor. It was surprisingly more bloody than I would have thought. Terrifying all the same and taught me to learn proper knife etiquette and not chop while drunk.

PROTIP: A proper hanging breaks your neck, it doesn't strangle you. Depending on your weight you need to fall 5-10 feet and put the noose on a specific spot on your neck.

this ain't the fucking gallows, man.

That just means you're so big of a failure you couldn't kill your self. How about this go to mc D's and eat your self to death.

I don't know if it counts because it wasn't a kitchen or really cooking, but here goes:

>be me as a kid, maybe 11 or 12, at summer camp
>group is roasting marshmallows over the campfire near dusk, making s'mores, having a good time
>one kid that is my age has his marshmallow catch on fire
>kid freaks out for no reason and starts swinging his stick around with the flaming marshmallow on the end
>hits a little 5 or 6 year old girl full on in the face

>she starts screaming at the top of her lungs, retarded kid with stick looks scared for one second and books it into the woods
>all the camp counselors are of course attending to the girl, don't even notice him run off
>can't get a good look at the girl because of all the counselors, but it's really bad
>camp is up in the literal mountains, so they have to call in a helicopter from the hospital
>we hear later that she had third degree burns just under her eye (it just missed hitting her eye, new guy style) and will need skin grafts and probably have scars for life

>but retarded kid has run into the woods quite a while ago, it's getting pretty dark
>only now do the counselors realize and send out a search party
>he didn't make it far at all before tripping because he was running full out in the dark
>karma must have kicked in because it turned out he straight up broke his ankle and sprained his wrist in the fall
>no helicopter ride for him since it's not an emergency, just the rickety old camp bus all the way down the bumpy mountain road to the hospital an hour away

I've only ever cut myself playing with knives, this is the worst I've gotten. I have learned nothing from my mistakes.

>siv
Its seive

This happened forever ago and it worked out in the end but it was stupidity on all fronts.

>Working on the line
>Super slow day
>Nothing going on so I'm cleaning and preparing to close for the night
>Put all the 1/9th pans into a larger pan so I can put it away more easily
>Second pan full of smaller pans is placed on top so I don't have to do two trips
>Around 30 lbs of stuff no biggie
>As I'm lifting up the pan a coworker slips on a piece of plastic and crashes into my legs
>Causes me to lurch forward in reaction
>Movement causes me to cling to counter while dropping pan
>Movement causes me to press my body weight onto pan
>As you know, these metal pans have thin edges
>Fingers gets caught between the wall and ledge of the cooler and the pan
>Eight of my fingers are cut to the bone
>Coworker apologizes and then promptly freaks the fuck out
>Gets the pans off of my hands and then calls the manager, who calls the emergency hotline
>Finger fat oozing out of fingers by the time ambulance arrives
>Blood fucking everywhere because the cloth taped to my hands have been soaked through already
>End up losing sensation in three of my fingers from the cut upwards (roughly a third of the finger up)
>Out of work for three weeks because I had to get stitches on all of them
>End up with scarred fingers and a $4 raise
>Currently making $17.75/hr as a cook now
>Friend keeps swearing I should've sued the place

working in wet dishpit because the damn thing leaked all over floor. did not have appropriate kitchen footwear. holding a stack of glasses, slip, fall, smack my elbow and the plate rack behind me, blood everywhere . i wanted to fucking quit right there.

my god how fucking poor were your parents that she made you eat a blood soaked bagel? a fucking bagel costs like 29 cents user

jesus christ your parents are scum

I sliced a chunk of my thumb off while using a mandolin to make potato chips.
Nearly went clean off but a sliver of skin stayed on so I bandaged it down, thumb is doing fine now. Almost lost my professional thumb wrestling career.

wow you sound really cool and masculine bro! congrats on getting shot in the face

>Making pettole
>Basically simple dough dollops that are fried in oil
>particularly hot day
>must've messed up the normal formation of air bubbles in the dough
>one of them pops while it's frying
>wave of frying oil impacts with every single one of my fingers
>second degree burns

Took 10 years for the marks to disappear
I still have streaks of white on the spots where it was more severe