I'm thinking of cooking some dry aged ribeye this week. Wanted some opinions on how to cook it

I'm thinking of cooking some dry aged ribeye this week. Wanted some opinions on how to cook it.

>probably boneless, may be bone in (depends on what's available)
>cooking options are cast iron pan + electric stovetop and oven, or propane grill
>will probably season fairly plain; salt, pepper, and maybe a bit of butter
>nice fresh green as a side and maybe some mashed potatoes
>if I cook it in the cast iron I will probably use canola oil for seasoning + butter at the end

Any input, advice, or criticism?

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/2013/01/the-food-lab-dry-age-beef-at-home.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Definitely cast iron w/ oil

OP here, forgot to mention I can sous vide and then finish in a hot pan or grill

That was my intuition but my current place doesn't have a proper vent for the fan above the stove, so I'd have to get creative if searing the steaks on the range.

I'd buy a decent cut of Ribeye from the supermarket, and dry age it yourself. You save a ton of money and it takes only 5 days. You basically only pay for Kosher salt as a premium.

Cast iron is a correct. Just use a dry, seasoned pan.. add butter and a some fresh crushed garlic on the last turn.. at this point the stove should be off. Basically, you are not allowing the butter enough time to burn, and you don't have to dilute it with oil.

I also suggest on the day of cooking, take the steak out 4 hours before cooking, and rest the bottom of your cast iron skillet on top of it...

One last thing... While I agree a good steak only requires salt an pepper, I fucking love putting a thin rub of paprika before the salt and pepper. Especially over the fat. Fucking delicious!

ok.
here's the rundown.
Dry aged steaks are - as many people do not realize - dry.
This does not mean it is going to be tough.
This does not mean it is going to be lacking in juice.
This does not mean you should add water to it. Do not add water to it I will find you and murder you
This does not mean you need to use salt to draw out the remaining moisture like you saw some british twat did on some dumb show.

It means that for the same amount of meat, it will weight less because it's not bogged down by water.
It means that it will heat up faster because you don't have to spend energy heating up the water.
It means that when you first slide the meat into the pan, it might not sizzle. This does NOT mean you need to turn up the heat. If the oil is smoking on a cast iron, it's hot enough.
A lack of sizzle does NOT mean it won't develop a crust. To the contrary, you will find it crust much faster and easily. This means you need to flip it more often and take it off the pan sooner.
It also means that you need to cook the sides as well. Use a tong (as you should've all along) after you reach desired doneness.
Lastly, it means that you shouldn't use fancy spices. The only reason why black pepper is used is because it keeps it from being repetitive.
If you have a well marbled cut, test your results - does it feel like I'm squeezing the fat out of the meat with every bite? If so, grats.

you can't dry age a single steak you moron. especially not over five days, jesus christ.

>you can't dry age a single steak you moron
Uhh... Yeah you can. Moron.

And if it is a single serving steak, it only takes a few days. Why don't you try it for yourself. I've done it several times including last night.

You can do like a ghetto dry age in your refrigerator, watch the beef episode of How To Cook Like Heston.

seriouseats.com/2013/01/the-food-lab-dry-age-beef-at-home.html

ignore him
I post about how to cook steak 4 months ago and some retards think they know everything now.
fucking butter and garlic like they need to add more lipids to a fried up greaseball
You want more fat on your steak? Cook the sides about ten, fifteen seconds less than you otherwise would have. I assure you you'll be nauseating over adding butter after two, three steaks.

you can't dry age a single steak. you can dry out the steak, sure, but the enzymatic and bacterial changes that develop the flavour and tenderness do not occur over five fucking days and will only result in spoilage with that much of a surface area to volume ratio.

Why don't you read the entirety of this article. ()
It's almost as if you read half of it and stopped when it agreed with you.

the article agrees with me in full. you cannot dry age a single steak over five days. jesus christ user read it yourself.

You idiot, if you are dry aging with salt there will be no spoilage within 5 days. It's too salty for bacteria to survive and it is also too dry.

It says you can do it but you are not going to get the same results as a PROFESSION CABINET.

It never once says "you cannot dry age within 5 days."

nowhere in that article does it say anywhere that you can get good results leaving a fucking steak in your fridge for five days.

and if you pack it in a way which prohibits bacterial action, guess what's not happening? dry aging.

you're semi-curing your steak, not dry aging it. it will sear faster, good for you, but it will be on the way to hamsville texture wise.

>So why can't a steak develop good dry-aged flavor in the home kitchen? Again, the experts disagree. My personal theory, and one that is shared by a number of others, is that the flavor changes in dry-aged beef—those funky, nutty, cheesy aromas that develop—come largely from bacterial action on the surface of the meat.
do you enjoy crayons as an alternative to freedom fries

>but it will be on the way to hamsville texture wise.
Untrue, dried steaks (I agree that dried steaks are not dry aged steaks) have better texture than fresh steaks.
The misconception that dried steaks have worse texture comes from the fact that your supermarket steaks are liable to have been frozen. This effectively destroys any internal muscle/blood vein structure the steak had before it goes in the pan, and drying exposes this like nothing else. The inside becomes mush.

they have a cured texture. they retain moisture better but are denser and reminiscent of a ham. this is why you don't sous vide with salt either

Whats wrong with butter and garlic? I enjoy both of those things

Ignore him.