Fermentation

Why haven't you fuckers started making your own homemade sauerkraut and kimchi, why no wild fermented pickles without vinegar ??? Why don't you stop buying store made pasteurized kombucha-jew and make your own, or make your own water or milk kefir??? Why not try ginger bugs or brews or meads ... Why waste your money on store bought crap . Pic related my finger after fermenting activated almond milk

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/amp/recipes/2016/12/homemade-fermented-sauerkraut-recipe.html
makesauerkraut.com/fermented-pickles/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because I'm a homebrewman and I'm worrying that cultivating lactic bacteria in the same kitchen I'm brewing beer in might cause cross contamination with a beer's worst enemy.

It 100% will cause cross contamination, but it isn't your worst enemy, you'll just get a tight as fuck sour beer. Drink it fast enough and it'll be barely even noticable.

I do all this and more. I do periodic fermented hotsauce threads here

Would love to hear some recipes, only wild ferments though no pussy ass vinegar bullshit pic related when I made fermented sourdough zepolis

I brew kombucha on a small scale but I can't replicate the carbonation of the shit they sell at the grocer. Flavor wise I prefer my brews but I can't seem to get that fizziness even though my seals are tight.
Also I need the meta for pickling peppers, every spice blend I've tried so far has been ass.

Lovely battered and fried fetuses user. Are they boneless?

>to smart to put a ring on

What kind of sugar you use, try different blends, for water real fizzy water kefir it's 1 3/4 raw cane sugar and 1/4 raw Cocunut sugar and it gets fizzy, also a piece of candied ginger adds fizz .
>NYC half sour pickles
32 ounce mason jar.
Jam in cut pickle chunks 1-2 inch thick,
Add fresh garlic glove , hand crush and add pickling slices, I used standard blend marjoram, coriander ect. Here is the trick, fresh bay leaf or.dried but use like 4-5 leaves per jar
Now add 2-3 tbs salt and distilled water and rest on counter 3 days till bubbly, eat and enjoy God's gift of fermented pickles NO VINEGAR FAG

Those look like fetuses. You eat that?

No but I eat homemade fermented salami lardo

What's the best way of preserving fermented tomato and habanero sauce cuz the last batch started turning into booze. Should I add vinegar after making the sauce to help preservation?

Can't tell if you're serious, but I'll post anyway. I used these recipes for sauerkraut with 2% salt and pickles with a 4% brine (pic related) and they both turned out great.

seriouseats.com/amp/recipes/2016/12/homemade-fermented-sauerkraut-recipe.html

makesauerkraut.com/fermented-pickles/

Tomato is tricky I made old world ketchup once and my jar exploded from the fizzyness, try adding less sugar

Serious just pics are a joke, thanks for the info and recipes

I don't add any sugar to begin with, I just slice some tomatoes and habaneros and put them in a jar with salty brine and let it be for like a month, then I puree it.
The stuff was great I got another batch on the way.

I am fermenting a not hot sauce right now. 1 lb aji dolce peppers, some cherry tomatoes and basil.

bottled a habanero hot sauce I fermented with carrot orange bell and a little tumeric a few weeks ago (pic of it while fermenting). it is without a doubt the hottest one I've made and sits on the tongue the longest too.

best fermented hot sauce I've made yet recipe.
1lb jalapeno (green)
1 bunch cilatro
juice from 1 or 2 limes

ferment it like you would sauerkraut but let it go for a month. when it's done blend it good and push through a sieve. You'll get a spicy citrusy hot sauce and a great pepper paste to spred on sandwiches.

My guess is that most people don't eat enough of that stuff to justify it

can anyone recc me some good kimchi recipes?

Google
Pineapple kimchi, you just add pureed pineapple to the slice slurry , the braud from "no reservations"!

I don't get it. Those are my pics, wtf do you mean?

Do you bot ferment sauerkraut for a month? The fuck are you making?

It shouldn't be turning boozy. Or if it is, it'll be becoming vinegar afterwords.

Gon up to 4 or 5% brine if need be. I always do that

when I've made kraut I typically only let it go for a week or 2. Do you let it go longer? I've found that somewhere in a week and a half is perfect.

There's a huge thing with salt-brine fermentation that I doubt most people know about, it's that it goes through multiple phases of fermentation as the acidity increases.

So like 3 -4 weeks is best to get a more stable flavor, and better/healthier bacteria.

But if you prefer the flavor of a 1-2 week fermentation go for that, that's the most important part. I know some people that ferment it for 6months-a year before they eat it.

I think I've noticed that most with fermented peppers and hot sauces. The flavor definitely gets better the longer it ages. With kraut I have yet to go past 2 wks since most recipes haven't said to go longer. I try letting one got longer when it's time to make another

Yeah peppers usually ferment slower I find. My theory is one of two.

There's much lower salt content in them so it takes longer for the bacteria to eat those sugars.

The other is that since you usually want a higher salt content since peppers mold a lot easier, it slows down the bacteria a tad.

Also definetly try longer krauts

I don't get mold on peppers, but I do tend to get cloudy water and white buildup at the bottom (yeast, right?)

I let my kraut go for 3 weeks on the shelf, then stick it in the fridge for about another month as I eat it slowly.

I've noticed a slightly cheesy taste to my kraut sometimes. I don't get sick or anything, but it makes me worry (and also I prefer a more biting acidic flavor than dull and cheesy)...

I have some serranos I've been lactofermenting for about a month. I'm split on whether I should pull them this weekend or go even longer.

yall ever fuck around with pickling zucchini or other quash?
does it get mushy?

My fanily calls pickled vegetables, 'torshi'.

>facehugger deepfry
wow user

>oooh how cute can I pet him?

WTF is that even?! Is it possessed?

Thanks for that pic. I remember that thread but forgot to save it. IIRC some user tried to make fried dough.

with the 1-2 wk krauts it never got cheesy, however i did a ferment of julianned red onions with lime and it got incredibly cheesy. In fact the first thing a friend said when he got a whiff of it was it smelt like a really stinky cheese. again I only let that one ferment for a week before fridging it. I expected the acidity since red onion but i don't know where the cheesy smell came from, but didn't bother me either, was delicious

Yeast or just stuff breaking down and falling to the bottom. I have a garlic/black Czech/ heirloom tomatoe ferment going and getting a lot of that.
So that's an aspect of what I talked about with the stages of fermentation. If it gets that off taste, let it sit for another week or two. That stage of bacteria will die off and a new more tart one will take over. But remember, your kraut is still acidic even if it tastes cheesy, that's what keeps other molds and boutolism from growing