>IPA
Ameriburger detected

I'm french.

Hahahaha
Fucking
Hahaha
Shit

>tfw drinking cheap piss

Why can't American breweries do lager? Literally thousands of shitty microbreweries making the same shitty IPA or w/e beer of the week and less than a dozen American breweries that make a pilsner worth drinking.

This is pretty close to correct

Pilsners are fairly popular around me. Just about every brewery I go to has one.

Not saying they aren't made, just that most of them are lazily brewed and as a result don't really taste how a pilsner should.

>most of them are lazily brewed
most ipas are the same way. every american with a few thousand dollars thinks they can be a brewer these days. most americans think marketing is more important than having a quality product. and most americans think budweiser is a good example of a lager.

I have a friend that is a legit brewer, tells me the same. Hard to do right and even harder to do right without experience in your craft but if you get one right it's absolutely golden. Once he brought a keg home of this sour that had been aged over a year, I guess the head brewers had just forgotten about it. Best sour I've ever had bar none

It can't be that hard. Literally every city and town in Germany has a local brewery turning out a decent pilsner that is sold close to the price of Inbev products in the US. Sure, not every pilsner brewed in Germany is bang on, but it's pretty formulaic how to make one at this point. Even Oettinger is making a better pilsner than most American attempts. I just don't get it because there are clearly competent brewers (see Russian River, Maine brewing co, etc). Do the good brewers just not care to make a pilsner because they think its too boring? Seems to me like there's space in the US market to have a solid pilsner that could undercut the cost of imports.

Well I'm lucky enough to live near a great craft brewery store that makes a point to import international beers so I'll make a point of picking some up, any recommendations?. I've only had one or two international beers, picked up a couple brewdogs and they weren't half bad. Kind of came off like a euro version of Stone if that makes any sense

I'd say the best pilsners to start with would be Pilsner Urquell, Krombacher, and Jever. The first two are representative of Czech and German pilsners respectively. Jever is a bit more bitter than most German pilsners but good.

I think the biggest problem is getting them fresh. Most stores in the US have these imports sitting around on shelves for a while. It's a type of beer that gets worse every day it sits in the bottle. Pilsner is better from tap and best if you can get it before pasteurization (and you are not getting that unless you're in the same city as the brewery).

That's exactly it. People in the states find them boring and they really don't sell well which sucks. Everyone is still crazy about these big flavor beers but can't appreciate the subtle complexity of a pils.
Luckily the state I live in has a strong German core to it and there are a ton of great traditional beers brewed all over along with the experimental heavy shit.

>ale
which ale? red, white, brown, cream, pale, india pale?

What kills me is those large macrobrews could probably put out a decent pilsner (equivalent of 5,0) that costs fractions of a dollar more expensive per bottle over the shit they sell now. But they have no interest because they can just make the same shit they do now but stick a craft label on it (read shocktop and blue moon) and sell it for double the price. There's no incentive for the Macrobrews to change because the average American beer drinker doesn't know how badly they are getting fucked over.

I'll take a Curs Light over that foul tasting garbage any day of the week. What do they put in that crap, marzipan and squirrel ass?

Wheat, hops, water, and yeast. Only the Belgians and Belgian copycats put tons of other shit in their beer.

>implying beer isn't a shitty meme drink

NC has a brewery that only makes lagers. Red Oak is wonderful.

>faggot thinking his opinion about beer matters

>retard thinking any opinion on beer matters

stout and porter are basically the same unless we're talking baltic porters

Beer is not a fucking meme though, it's been drunk for at least 600 years.

Way longer than that, there's breweries in Germany that have been running for nearly 1000 years continuously.

>implying memes are a modern invention

Beer was the only way for people to get drunk back then. There's literally no need for that pisswater to still be around when you can get a buzz off of decently tasting beverages. The only reason it's still so popular is that the media still propagates it as a "cool" and "manly" drink.

It's the exact same reason why cigarettes are still a thing.

the ancient egyptians loved beer actually, so it's at least several thousand years old

my captcha actually says sapporo lmao

>t. only ever had shit-tier beer
beer is so varied that I refuse to believe anyone can dislike ALL beer

Lmao this retard
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_beer

What the fuck are you talking about? Wine was around since ancient greece and even before.
You're just a giant homo

Wow I got a date wrong :^)
Point still stands, something that was invented BC is not a meme and you faggots need to gtfo

Americans tastebuds are so fried that they have to add truckloads of hops to everything. So even their pilsners are completely undrinkable because it tastes like a shitty ale.

It's amazing how much effort Americans put into making absolutely terrible beer.

But beer had already been around for so long it had implanted itself into cultures all over the world. Especially since not everywhere had access to grapes.

Wine is basically beer for girls anyway.

>most americans think marketing is more important than having a quality product

If you had ever lived in America you would realize that sadly marketing is vastly more important than a quality product.

Beer did come before wine. Wheat and grains were domesticated before grapes. Tbh though, the wine and beer they drank back in the day probably tasted awful compared to what we have today. Tons of random shit put in it, plenty of which could be toxic.

Sadder still is how much craft beer costs in the states. Your choices are basically water or $2+/355ml craft beers (not even talking about prices for a good pour at the bar). Meanwhile Germans are paying

>most americans think budweiser is a good example of a lager.
Objectively wrong.

>Beer was the only way for people to get drunk back then.
>t. college freshman getting wasted on vodka lemonade
Go do a shot you beautiful child.

conveniently ignoring when I said:
>you can get a buzz off of decently tasting beverages

Cherry pick harder faggot. Nobody starts drinking beer because it tastes good.

>Nobody starts drinking beer because it tastes good.
>Mummy! Mummy it's too bitter! It hurts my tonguey mummy. Give me my cosmopolitan back mummy!
Speak for yourself you tastelet.

>Nobody starts drinking beer because it tastes good.
I did. Not everyone has a little babby pallate.

Anyone who thinks bitter is a good flavor before drinking is a cum guzzling faggot who grew up up with semen in their mouths.

Lol you are getting pathetic

>I did. Not everyone has a little babby pallate.
>implying that your pallate isn't a broken mistake and needs overpowering bitterness to taste anything

>most americans don't know what a lager is or how it differs from an ale

ftfy

truth hurts don't it m8e?

>overpowering bitterness

There's only one style I can think of that fits that description occasionally and that's IPA. There are no other styles that are extremely bitter and anyone saying otherwise has the palate of a 2 year old gril.

hating anything even slightly bitter and loving anything sweet are the main signifiers of a babby palatte

is that what society's food snobs tell you? If shitting on a plate and eating it was the sign if a "refined palatte" you'd be diving headfirst into that shit I bet.

>anyone who likes spinach is a cum guzzling faggot
>anyone who likes dark chocolate is a cum guzzling faggot
>anyone who likes grapefruit is a faggot
How does it feel to be called a tastelet by a flyover lol.
TASTELET.

Keep slurping that jizz faggo. Biitter flavor is your tongue telling your brain "this should not be eaten, this is probably bad for you". Liking bitter foods is biologically equivalent to being aroused by pain, and in either case there's something wrong with you.

also:
>grapefruit
>bitter

Bitter =/= tart

>"this should not be eaten, this is probably bad for you"
Yea and not being a fucking underevolved primate my higher brain function can just as easily say: "no, this is beer, a logical method for extending the life of crops and a sure sign of civilization"

>he has never tasted a grapefruit
Wow, what a sheltered life you lead user.

>Yea and not being a fucking underevolved primate my higher brain function can just as easily say: "no, this is beer, a logical method for extending the life of crops and a sure sign of civilization"

And our civilization has progressed to a point where we no longer need to force ourselves to drink rotted wheat, yet cucks like you insist on doing it anyway since society has told you that drinking beer is "just something you are supposed to do" and you're too weak-minded to do anything but nod your head and pour whatever diarrhea they give you right down your throat until you get used to it.

And clearly you only consume the shittiest of grapefruits.

Rotted wheat? You know literally nothing about beer apparently.

You're really grasping at straws there mate.
Try a bottle of OP's pic related, it's fucking delicious.
It might also help you be less of an insufferable cunt.

>wheat and grains were domesticated
>domesticated
What?

>force ourselves to drink rotted wheat
>it's a "use colorful prose to describe a basic object in an attempt to make it sound yucky" episode
>you don't have to drink rotten milk compressed into a cylinder
>you don't have to eat old stiff meat stuffed into a piece of decaying intestine
>you don't have to eat weeks old cucumbers floating in rank vinegar and dill
Yes, you figured it out you glorious intellectual, you don't HAVE to eat anything, hell you can subsist on soy milkshakes these days. Tons of foods are the result of old preservation techniques that are part of the cultural fabric, and appreciating those flavors is what separates tendie-munching tastelets like you from the rest of civilization.
>muh "until you get used to it"
It took me from about the time I cracked open the bottle to the point where I swallowed my first drink of the beer in OP's pic to "get used to it" and that was alone in my car in the woods, there was no "male posturing" or whatever to it. If anything you're the wildly insecure one, desperately trying to insist that everyone who likes beer is only pretending, and if they'd just come to the Pina Colada side with you it would make so much more sense. I get it, you went out with your new college friends and looked like a child when you were the only one who didn't order a beer, they gave you a hard time once and now you're still bitter. A therapist can help you work through your massive inferiority complex. Also pic related.

>Tons of foods are the result of old preservation techniques that are part of the cultural fabric, and appreciating those flavors is what separates tendie-munching tastelets like you from the rest of civilization.

Again, the sole appeal of beer is a cultural one, not one based on genuine flavor. With the exception of people like you that have malfunctioning taste buds and perceive warning signals as green lights. I find it ironic that somebody like you who essentially has a retarded tongue keeps insisting on me- or anyone else- a "tastelet".

>somebody like you who essentially has a retarded tongue
>user is living in 1140 in Bavaria
>It's the dead of winter and the wheat harvest was good
>food isn't super available but there's plenty of wheat beer
>wahh i dun like is too bitter you only like because your fragile masculinity
>user starves to death
>user's line doesn't survive long enough to say that I have a retarded tongue for finding pleasure in drinking something that has at various times been humanity's lifeline.

You realize you're massively in the minority here right? Even in this thread you're getting btfo left and right. Look I can't fix your child-like palate, but when you start spouting shit about beer-drinkers having a "retarded tongue" I'm going to fucking take issue. That 'retardation' was largely the reason a lot people survived for centuries, to call THAT the anomaly, instead of your ape-like brain violently retching at anything slightly bitter while everyone around you enjoys it, that's fucking retarded.

IPAs are the biggest meme beer

Oh, shut the fuck up. Just take a wheat beer, sniff and drink it, then, do the same with a quadrupel. If you don't notice the difference in flavors and smell, then you have absolutely no salvation.
Also, there's nothing bitter on those beers. You must be drinking some of your shitty american IPAs for fuck sake.

Surprisingly wheat and other grains do not naturally grow in giant fields ready for harvest. They were domesticated just like livestock.

>We don't talk about those
I remember when I had immature taste in beer

weiß(((bier))) is toiletwash. kys kraut

Pils

Weissbier, Stout, and Porter are all types of Ale you uneducated fuck

America has a lot of subsidized corn so they use it to make cheap beer.

>meme beer.
Yeah last year schlomo.
Sours are the new beer ro adding citrus fruits

add this and I'm ok with it
monastic>=weiss

>weiss is bad

What

>There's only one style I can think of that fits that description occasionally and that's IPA. There are no other styles that are extremely bitter and anyone saying otherwise has the palate of a 2 year old gril.
My friend...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitter_(beer)

>Bitters are bitter flavored

IPA's fall into the category of Bitters, but but the other styles under that category aren't particularly bitter flavored.

Stout and porter are pretty much the same thing and all of the beers you listed are types of ales.

Great thread.

monastic?

Pilsner is lager, dummy. Unless you're saying that all other types of lager are better than Pilsner. Then you're downright wrong.

Weizenbock is where it is at

This is the top top beer

I can barely stand IPA anymore, it was surprising at first but now they're everywhere and most of the time they taste like basic beer with too much hop syrup.

>monastic
Guessing she means trappist.

sour rankings:
Flanders red ale>lambic>wild ale>gose>Berliner weisse

I tried an imported American pils yesterday from Founders. Now I finally get to know how Americans interpret the style I though. Well it tasted exactly like a lemon-honey cough drop that we've got around here. I'm inclined to agree with your post.

Geuze>>> Flanders red, otherwise quite correct

haven't had a gueze yet, although I have this in my fridge

you could be right

Pretty much this, though unblended lambic is superior to all

The ordinary Boon Geuze is terrific. Hopefully Mikkeller hasn't fucked up that collaboration. I wasn't a huge fan of their spontancassis.

it's literally just a relabeling

no idea why they did it, I suppose just because Mikkeller is good for marketing?

It apparently is just the Boon Black blend with Mikkeller branding. Had their calvados BA collab a couple of days ago, which was alright but I'm not a fan of the Boon base lambic so.