Eternal /Coffee/ thread

Respect Moka Pot coffee
Love Moka Pot coffee
Drink Moka Pot coffee

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Gaggia-Semi-Automatic-Pannarello-Cappuccino-Frothing/dp/B0001KOA4Q/ref=zg_bs_289748_20?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=P7J6WMH0A5WEPWWQP73N
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

mine leaks coffee through the threads AND the over pressure valve thing
what do

Got the same problem here

Tighten pressure valve and when you fill it make sure the water sits below the valve, not touching the valve.

My English isn't so good, can you explain what a "thread" is?

How do I tighten the valve? Do I just screw it in further?

Bialetti. the inventor of the Moka got cremated and his ashes were put in a Moka shaped funerary urn

Around the nut of the valve, righty tighty
Tighten it slowly of course. If it tightens with a right clockwise turn and then loosens with subsequent turns, leave it fastened as tight as you can manage. If it still leaks you probably have bad grooves fastening the valve and its best to replace it.

Also, if your moka pot leaks it make be because it is not sealed properly. Since it requires some pressure the rubber seal and gasket are important (tightening the top too tightly and constant use will wear out the rubber)
You may need a replacement.
Be sure to order the correct size of course.

I use a sock. Cheap, portable, easy to clean.

Espresso reccomendations? I currently drink Cafe Bustelo because I enjoy the taste and it is cheap. Lavazza wasn't very good in my opinion for the price.

Illy is my favourite, but it's quite expensive indeed

Whys your method?
These are my fav "espresso roasts"
You can find both at target

Am I autistic?

I use a moka pot.

Looks like it's your hobby, not a bad one at that.

you post in every thread we know you already. enough

But look at this cool new feature. Like a lid for a funnel. I don't know why, it doesn't really need a lid, but I like it.

Buying bustelo or any finely grinded grounds wouldn't be good for a moka pot. Moka pots require something a bit more coarse.

replace the gasket, and sounds like you blew your pressure gasket.

Looks nice user. Keep it up. To add to the autism, I buy green coffee and roast it in a home drum roaster to make my own blends. I'm mostly a french press guy, but I use my Moka Pot when I get the right coffee in. One of these years I will get a real espresso machine.

this.

Thoughts on lever espresso machines?
Thinking of getting a la pavoni.
I've been drinking coffee with milk (using a moka pot) for a while now and kinda want to upgrade.
Are entry level home espresso machines worth it or should I just buy espresso milk drinks at a coffee shop?

I love levers but dislike the Pavoni. Super bad temperature control.

I've started cold brewing my coffee. However I feel like I'm not getting the full potential out of the grounds. If I boil water and then poor it over the grounds, let it sit in the fridge over night, will it pull more flavor from the grounds?

>Italian
>Thought there was only one way to make coffee
>Discover that people actually use drippers, pressure brewers and all kinds of thingamajigs

Does it make a big difference?
Now I'm curious since I thought the moka was the only way around

Thing about a moka pot, okay, is that the moka pot makes shitty fucking coffee. The entire apparatus heats up like a motherfucker and scalds your brew, giving it a bitter-ass taste. Yes, you can avoid this with some technique, but it's still a crap shoot and who's even got time for that bullshit apart from some kind of neet fuckup. The design is so fucking flawed that you have to learn to work around it. Its a flawed design...why do you schmucks buy it?
The Aeropress, however, doesn't have this problem. It's designed well and works with you instead of against you.
The moka pot has lots of small inaccessible places that are difficult or impossible to clean. Sure, people say you should season it, but one mans seasoning is another mans rancid coffee oil that makes everything taste stale. That's without going into the problem with mould if you store it without use for a long time. Aeropress? Easiest thing in the world to clean.
Moka pots are also susceptible to corrosion and pitting over time. Aluminum + heat + water = corrosion. Aeropress is made of plastic. Sure it might crack and discolour and wear out over several thousand brews, but it won't impart any off flavours to your coffee.
Aeropress is far, far more versatile. You control coffee dose, brew water and contact time. Long steep with a coarse grind? Go for it. Short steep, fine grind? Absolutely. Coffee concentrate? Sure. Regular strength, single cup brew? Why not. Moka pot? Sorry, just a poor imitation of espresso.
tl;dr: Aeropress makes better coffee, is easier to clean, is comparably durable and is more versatile. I don't know why anyone would get a Moka pot instead unless they were a fuckkin mook.

Moka is under appreciated in these threads. And yes, the other methods make a considerable and noticeable difference.

The only other kind of coffee preparation method I've ever tried was kind of a plastic syringe thing (which I assume is what this post was talking about).
It was fine, although it had a completely different impression on me.
With a moka the coffee has a certain...I wouldn't call it texture since it's liquid, but it feels "thicker", while with the syringe thing it felt more like a "Coffee tea", even when kept brewing for longer.

I did like how it made it easier to use your own ground beans or whatever, but it still made me long for the 'feel' of moka.

Fantastico!

Nice twsbi you got here!

I'm thinking about buying a french press travel mug what would you guys recommend?

I don't like xenoestrogens in my coffee sry, metal or bust

You're not cold brewing in the fridge, are you? You're supposed to leave it out at room temperature for 12-15 hours. Leave the lid on your pot/whatever slightly ajar as well to let gases escape.

Don't pour boiling water on it.

I just got a moka pot yesterday. I was using a single serve coffee machine before, or sometimes my brothers espresso machine. I actually really enjoy the coffee this moka pot is making.

At first I was using my brother's grinder to grind beans, but it didn't taste great, maybe it's the blend or something. I'm lazy so I said fuck it and just bought pre-ground lavazza "qualita rossa". I find it tastes better and it's quicker than grinding, oh well I can't tell a difference and I'm not a coffee snob anyway.

I've also noticed there seems to be two ways of making it:

1) Easy way: just add cold water and heat it up on medium-high. Apparently this is the way most people do it in italy according to some dude on youtube. I do this method and it tastes fine.

2) Long way: pre-boil water, slow heat, don't "cook the beans" blah blah blah. I haven't tried this way and honestly I don't want to spend that much time and effort to make my coffee.

anyhow, this is definitely my go-to coffee maker from now on. I also love the aesthetic of it and how simple it is.

The easy way is fine, just find the heat setting on your stove that leads to the right time for the right taste.

All these things I read and videos I see seem to imply that my portafilter should hold around 18g of coffee, but even with it overflowing and packed near the top when tamped, it's only holding like 9g. What's the deal, the portafilters they're using don't look any bigger than mine?

Seconding Illy, it's good shit.

>I don't like xenoestrogens

and the earth is flat, right?

It’s broken; Bialetti is the Fiat of coffee brewing apparatuses. In other words, it has Italian style but shit quality control

cold brew is the only valid brew

>blue is the only valid colour
I have my coffee however I feel like, using the variety of equipment that I own.

You shouldn't use hot water for cold brewing coffee, use room temp or chilled.

Not that guy, but do try to not be a complete cunt.
Why do you think so many food-grade plastics are Bisphenol free now? Overuse of plastics in food related products is being blamed as one of the reasons for the dramatic drop in sperm counts in affluent western societies.

Do I really need to use coffee filters for what appear to be instant grounds? Bought a new brand and it's not dissolving as well in boiling water as others do which makes me think I'm meant to filter it somehow.

Also please no bully, I've never made anything other than black instant coffee.

If it's dissolving at all, you shouldn't have to. It's probably just shit, and the manufacturer probably doesn't filter it correctly at the factory.
The only acceptable instant coffee I have ever had is Moccona, because they use a cold-dry process which doesn't burn the fuck out of the coffee.

The instructions on the side are talking about some sort of drip shit but I don't own anything like that. It's definitely dissolving but very slowly and there will sure as hell still be grounds at the bottom. I'm fine drinking any kind of bitter shit as long as it won't kill me.

That's not instant...
That's filter coffee, for a percolator.

No
It over extracts your coffee

is pic related a good first espresso maker?

How do i use a moka pot without it making my coffee taste like stewed piss.

apparently there's a special technique...what is it?

this is what ive got.
looks like its a little cheaper than that rancilio.
that rancilio doesnt seem to have a grinder built in to it.

Yeah. I'm torn between this one and that. How do you like it/how long have you had it? I wish I could try each of them before buying.

why do I get jittery from shitty Green Mountain Breakfast Blend K-cups at work but feel nothing from god tier organic Jamaican Blue Mountain aeropressed coffee I make at home?

Espresso is weak coffee. The taste may be strong but the water contact is short so it doesn't extract all the caffeine.

Drip extracts more caffeine than espresso. Immersion methods extract the most.

Also, shitty coffee probably has more robusta in it which has more caffeine than arabica.

What's your budget?
This is my fav. You can get it for less than 350 if you shop around.

It's going to be a house warming gift for my fiance and me. I personally think ~$700 is too much so I wouldn't ask for anything more than that.

cool. 700 is a good ceiling.

this is the one i use and i love it.
amazon.com/Gaggia-Semi-Automatic-Pannarello-Cappuccino-Frothing/dp/B0001KOA4Q/ref=zg_bs_289748_20?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=P7J6WMH0A5WEPWWQP73N

the breville mentioned earlier is a machine im curious about.

thanks, user. I'll take a look at this and hopefully make the right choice.

The newest version (since Philips bought them) of the Gaggia is lowest tier shit, they took out everything that made it a proper machine. Read some reviews and get the Silvia.

As an italian this really hurt myself
Panda 2011 master race

I'm working with an old DeLonghi EC140B I had sitting around in the pantry for a few years before I decided to look into doing my drinks. It's been pretty fun as a beginner tool, but it looks and I can't find the 14g basket anywhere, so I'm stuck with the 7g.

Should I modernize and get a EC140B, get a replacement 14g basket, or just start looking around for a new machine? I was thinking of getting
if I went with that option.

I dunno m8s, I make some pretty delicious stuff with it.
But I can concede that it's easy to produce a burnt or a bitter cup if you're not paying attention.

He uses an aluminum coffee pot!

a little over a year now. i started with some shitty $40 mr coffee espresso machine and it was god awful. threw that away. i'm honestly not artsy with lattes and such, i always do just a straight shot in the morning, sometimes with a splash of milk. if i got the rancilio i think i would have been more prone to getting pre-ground coffee. this breville has different filters for pre-ground and whole beans. I've tried it before with the Cafe Bustelo I keep getting from my step mom (from PR so she keeps getting it from family) and it was definitely not as fresh. I save the bustelo for cold brews now if I wanna zerg out. Whatever you get just make sure you grind the beans yourself. It makes a world of difference. Especially when you can grind it just fine enough to get the perfect pressure for crema CONSISTENTLY. Whatever you end up getting will take about a week to really dial it in to how much and how fine the grind.

thanks, man. I'm going for the Rancilio and going to buy their grinder myself unless I can find a cheap Bunn on CL to make a zilla.

>he doesnt know

Who /eclipse/ here?

I usually buy coffee from costco, but I don't drink enough of it to make it through a 2lb bag before it goes stale and lifeless even though I store it in airtight jars.

Should I start looking for hipster roaster places?
I don't want to get reamed at several times what I'm using to paying for coffee, ($5/lb)

What water do you use for your coffee?

I usually brew a nice fresh batch of tap for such an occasion

good coffee is going to cost a fair bit if you get it from a roaster, though if you're happy with what you're drinking, you could just buy a smaller bag
you can look into roasting yourself (sweet marias et al), but you'll have high startup costs and/or have to give a shit about something a bit fiddly
tastes good though