Is Filipino food one of the most underrated and overhated cuisines out there?

I keep seeing cu/ck/s shit of Flip food all the time, and when doing so, their only examples are either the spaghetti(which is fast food tier there btw) and poorly cooked, day old, cold adobo.
Others say "durr it's so simple to make" although there are heaps of dishes from there that takes time and effort to make that uses garnishing, like Beef Kulma and Kare Kare

I almost never see anyone bring up sinigang, the huge varieties pancit, sisig, lechon, the non-mainstream dishes, and the curries of the south. Fucking Anthony Bourdain praised Filipino food, calling Cebu Lechon the "best pork in the world" and predicts it will be a hit in the future, and Mark Twains, who takes knowledge of Thai food on a whole other level, also praises it and likes most of it

Are these cu/ck/s mostly just mindlessly shitting on the cuisine because they have nothing better to do? Only thing I can agree on is that it LOOKS dull. But that shouldn't fucking matter

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=K-PKO2FrdPY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I can say Filipino food tastes quite good in general, but Muslim Flip food gotta be much more underrated
>tfw no spicy burned coconut soup

What the fuck is their obsession with fuckjng hot dogs? WHY ARE THEY IN ALMOST EVERY DISH

Filipino food is disgusting. Their imitation Chinese food is on par Korea's as the worst there is.

>WHY ARE THEY IN ALMOST EVERY DISH
the fuck you are talking about pham, the most common sausage I've seen is Longanisa which is a traditional one
>t. chink

Holy shit this

I married a Flip but she doesn't cook. Although it doesn't taste bad there doesn't seem to be any reasoning to the ingredients. Green beans with coconut milk sprinkled with pork rinds is a dish her mom makes. Eggplant with fish sauce, mango and tripe.... None of these things complement each other; it's simply random ingredients
Lechon is solid, though

They usually use soy sauce, vinegar, calamansi(small lime), bird's eye chili, fish sauce, oyster sauce, tumeric, bay leaves and sometimes brown sugar for seasoning
They also use plenty of garlic, onion, ginger and lemongrass.

And of course, MSG though that's mostly an Asian thing

Yes, but tripe and eggplant. They could season it with Zeus' jizz but fish sauce, tripe and eggplant do not go together on any plane of existence

I don't know where your mother is from but I have seriously never heard of any recipe that involves eggplant, tripe and fish sauce.
Tripe is usually only served in soups or porridge

>look at image
>no lumpia

nigga u fucked up.

Sisig is pretty alright but the criticism that filipino food is easy to make is legitimate. It also has the disadvantages of being both derivative and recent.

If a beef stew and a beef curry are your examples of complex dishes, then that's almost an admission of guilt right there.

No one thinks american cuisine is good because of chinese takeout, and no one is going to think filipino food is good because of chinese-filipino foods.

Roasting a whole pig is nothing new, and neither is crispy pork belly.

Filipino cuisine doesn't have a clear brand image internationally. Thai food has satay, coconut curries, and peanut stuff, that's its thing. Vietnamese with their sandwiches and rice noodles. Korean food with garlic and red chiles in everything. Chinese by virtue of being the oldest, and Japan with sushi and ramen autism.

Is this bait?
>If a beef stew and a beef curry are your examples of complex dishes, then that's almost an admission of guilt right there.
Have you even looked up Kulma? Shits probably more complicated than thai red chicken curries

>no one is going to think filipino food is good because of chinese-filipino foods.
Are you completely oblivious to Asian cuisine? All Asian countries got a massive Chinese influence. According to this logic, no non-Chinese Asian country should be proud if someone like their noodle dishes. Or non-Indian countries with curries. Plenty of foreigners love Pad Thai despite being a quite Chinese dish. And most Pancits are relatively old and got unique combinations that derives them quite far from the original Chinese dish.

>Roasting a whole pig is nothing new, and neither is crispy pork belly.
Are you shitting me? Noodle soups is also nothing new but people go crazy over Pho and Ramen. It doesn't matter if it's new or not. It depends on how it's prepared and tastes. Cebu Lechon is inarguably the best roasted pork because of the herbs used, the technique to roast it and that it's so crispy yet tender and flavorful on the inside

>Filipino cuisine doesn't have a clear brand image internationally.
This is probably true but sizzling dishes can probably be their staple international food

>Thai food has satay, coconut curries, and peanut stuff, that's its thing
Satay isn't even Thai. It's originally Indonesian but has spread out and is basically found in all south East Asian countries. Coconut curries is also found around all of Asian, including Philippines

>Vietnamese with their sandwiches and rice noodles.
You got Torta in Philippines tho

>Korean food with garlic and red chiles in everything.
lel how can you NOT realize this is pretty much the basic Asian style of cooking with the garlic, and Philippines actually happens to use plenty of chilies too. Korean food is mostly popular because of Gookweeb autism around the world

>Slavoj_Zizek_mein_gott_the_ideology.png

The only good things I've ever had were that blood pork and some sort of cassava cake.

It is... But we all naturally fear the unknown...

Filipino Lechon is the #1 food related thing I want to try.

Lumpia would be some great bar food.

No, it's rated accordingly.

>None of these things complement each other
Perfect summary of flip cuisine. It never "grew up".

This is a perfect example of a cu/ck/ that OP is referring to who have no idea what he's talking about
Neck yourself

this sounds like something a self-hating peenoy would write 2bh

half of flip food is delicious, half of it is too weird as fuck with the strangest ingredients

Reminder that Flip food is the most powerful cuisine in the world.

Excellent summary, the food is just all over the place.

>strangest ingredients
If you are too much of a manbabby to eat intestines and other internal parts of animals like that, you probably should stay away from Chinese and South East Asian food in general

kys

Nobody cares, thats why. Now go kill some potheads peacefully living their life.

Satay is more of an Indonesian thing

>implying it's morally wrong to kill crystal meth addicts and dealers

Flip food is just too derivative and tends to give an impression of a watered down or hybrid cuisine. That's half of it, anyway. The other half consists of American-tier culinary abominations involving things like bottom barrel hot dogs and greasy rice noodles courtesy of off-island flips. It's like the worst aspects of Mexican food and Asian street food rolled into one. The cuisine needs to mature more to garner any recognition worth a damn.

>pinoy cooking
youtube.com/watch?v=K-PKO2FrdPY

I stayed with a friend with a flip servant for a while,
phillipino food is trash and bad imitations of other cuisines fried and mixed with supermarket sausages

Most powerful race spotted.

The verdict is in. Flip food sucks. It's never preferable to Chinese, Japanese, Thai, or other SEA cuisine.

It's not a coincidence that people all over the world have reached this conclusion independently. Get over it.

>If Anthony Bordain praised it, it must be good.
buttmad flipshit

No, I'm being completely serious. Is thai curry supposed to be a benchmark for you? It's not that hard, it's a normal dish.

Do you know the history of pad thai? It was literally 'invented' to be uniquely thai. Chinese cuisine does not use tamarind, lime, fish sauce, or peanut crumble.

Pho and ramen are chinese inspired but have evolved away far enough to be visually distinct, along with good marketing. No one else puts raw meat into their noodle soups and no one else boils their broth 1000 times. Coconut curry can be easily distinguished from indian curries, and lumpia and pancit just don't cut it, visually.

Filipino food is like """hawaiian cuisine""" with not-teriyaki chicken and not-sashimi, and even with great marketing, hawaiian food is not popular anywhere else, aside from the shortlived poke fad.

Even if coconut curries or the other foods you mentioned are not original to X country, they've long cemented their association with the food. It's marketing and brand recognition. Their needs to be a huge visual hint or even a gimmick for foods to be recognized internationally. Korean is recognizable because it has a bunch of small sides and everything is covered in red shit, it's not actually about the taste. Right now Filipino food doesn't really have anything besides "it looks like Y food." I have no clue what you even mean about the sizzling thing, which pretty much sums it up.

>I almost never see anyone bring up [insert flip shit here]
Because it fucking sucks. End of story.

I've enjoyed all types of European, American, Latin American, Middle Eastern and Asian cuisine throughout the years.
I see no real reason to say that Filipino cuisine is bad. I like their stew/soup-style adobo, sisig, dinuguan, tocino, longganisa, kaldereta, morcon, pinapaitan, and balut. Their pancit molo, siopao and spaghetti are also unique and good snacks in comparison to their original recipes from China and the US.
Their tastes tend to go to the sweeter and more sour side of things (not together).
It's the same reason why Hawaiians, Okinawans, and Koreans have spam in some of their national recipes.

I've enjoyed all types of European, American, Latin American, Middle Eastern and Asian cuisine throughout the years.
I see no real reason to say that Filipino cuisine is bad. I like their stew/soup-style adobo, sinigang, sinampalukan, paksiw, sisig, dinuguan, tocino, longganisa, pampano pinangat, kaldereta, morcon, pinapaitan, and balut. Their pancit molo, siopao and spaghetti are also unique and good snacks in comparison to their original recipes from China and the US.
Their tastes tend to go to the sweeter and more sour side of things (not together).
It's the same reason why Hawaiians, Okinawans, and Koreans have spam in some of their national recipes.

It's actually funny, but a lot of national food are derivatives of other national foods.

Americanized Flip here who lived in the Philippines for 3 years as a kid. I mostly only like the more Western friendly dishes. Some of the pastries and sweets are pretty good too, but I'm not too knowledgeable enough to name anything other than polvoron and White Rabbit candy.

Here's the best dishes IMO:
Adobo with big chunks of fatty pork butt
Sinigang, also with pork butt and turnip/mustard greens
Lechon with Mang Tomas sauce
Pancit Palabok
Tocino, preferably made of fatty pork
Chicken or Pompano Tinola with chayote and pepper leaves (any pepper leaves will do, like bell pepper or hot peppers)

I once got a jar of crab roe(taba ng talangka) out on a country roadside shop as a little kid that was Godly, but they don't sell it pure these days due to it's cost and difficulty of harvest and a lot of other issues. You can get a fine substitute with the blue crab roe of females with unlaid eggs.

I recall hotdogs in filipino-style spaghetti.

I make bistek and chicken adobo (based on the recipe of some tripfag who entered it into the Veeky Forums competition years ago), shit's pretty cash.

Anyone who works in healthcare on the west coast will tell you just how good philipino food is.

We're literally littered with atehs and kuyas who cook some of that home grown delicious shit.

I thought you were going to make a crack about it being hilariously unhealthy

Delicious doesn't necessarily equate to healthiness unfortunately. I'm inundated with lumpish 25% of the time I'm at the office.

Filipino food is an abomination that I don't understand. Other Southeast Asian countries have good food and the flips were colonized by cultures that have good food (debatable for the USA, but even American food is not that awful). The Philippines are tropical islands so it's not like they don't have access to good, fresh ingredients either. I have no idea how a country in that situation can end up with such horrifically bad food. It's an incredible outlier.

And this, it's surprisingly unhealthy too.

fucking this. their palette is almost alien

*palate

Not sure what you mean. I've had both Chinese and Filipino Chinese food before and their dimsum's pretty much on par with Chinese dimsum. Actually, it's kind of similar, with wonton and bao. What specific Filipino imitation Chinese food is on par with Korean cuisine?

>It's the same reason why Hawaiians, Okinawans, and Koreans have spam in some of their national recipes.
This is a legacy of the postwar reconstructions in a lot of nations around the world. Spam was GI food before MREs showed up and became a thing.

Filipino here. Filipino food is garbage.

Not all
>Palabok, sisig, lechon (Visayan/Cebuano of course), diniguan
>crabs cooked with coconut
Top tier

>alien palate
Aren't they mostly just salt/fat bombs seasoned with vinegar/lime and some chili? About the only things I've found off-putting so far are the texture of sisig and how longanisa are so fucking sweet.

Was just googling and apparently there are dishes called betamax and adidas. Weird.

I live in ausland and don't think I've had flip food before, we have all kinds of south east Asian restaurants everywhere but can't say I've noticed and Filipino places.
I was considering going there after Taipei on my next holiday but have recently decided against it...

>implying shitty millenial cooking is exclusive to Philippines
Drink bleach

Nice trole hehe ahaha EBIK MAN XD

>one single dish that is considered fast-food tier
>"DURR WHY THE USE HOTDOGS IN SO MANY DISHES"
Further proves my point that whoever criticizes Flip food are dumb shits who hasn't tried more than Jolibee spaghetti

This is why you're fucking stupid because even Pancit Canton, which in its name implies it's cantonese of origin, is so old and derived so far that it's pretty much a flip dish itself. Only Chinese foods I can recall being in Flip cuisine are siopao, siomai, springrolls and bok choy

>I have no clue what you even mean about the sizzling thing, which pretty much sums it up.
Because you are a dumb shit suffering from Dunning-Kreuger effect who has no idea what he's talking about. Sizzling dishes are originally a chinese style of serving, but it has been incorporated into Flip cuisine for so long, it can be their own dish. If you didn't get it already, sisig is a sizzling dish

>spaghetti is fast-food tier
>hasn't tried more than Jolibee spaghetti
A couple of relatives made it for us on a number of visits to the Philippines. I like and cook stuff like bistek and adobo for myself, but hotdog spaghetti is just weird.

>longanisa are so fucking sweet.
There's 1000 variations of longanisa.

I suggest you try vigan longanisa.

I don't know why flips can't accept that their food is awful. Everywhere you go there are restaurants for other cuisines except theirs. It's no mystery why.

Fair enough. I'll look for that the next time I pass by a Filipino food place.

The poor fag style of cooking flip food, which also sadly for some reason happens to be kinda common in smaller street side restaurants if Manila is quite unhealthy as they need the extra fat to NOT starve to death. Reasonable amounts of soy sauce coupled with vinegar, garlic, chilies, onions and whatever else they happen to use in the dishes are actually quite healthy. Some street food dishes in Davao is also served with seaweed salad

Korean restaurants were non-existent before the KWeeb boom
Does it mean their food is awful?

It's actually starting to gain traction. The nearest Asian restaurant by me recently incorporated prawn sinigang and chicken adobo to their menu

Tfw teaching my mom to make proper carbonara.

Probably depends on family. Only my sister in law cooks spag occasionally whenever she is too lazy to cook anything more effort-demanding. I honestly see no difference from it and the typical ketchup on spaghetti they make here in the west

Bitches don't know about my not-sashimi.

I guess, yeah. Some of my extended family in the Philippines are pretty poor.

you can make literal kilos of adobo and it keeps for ages and is primo fucking bulking food with some carbs on the side
amazed more people don't use it for meal prep; all I see is sad as fuck whole chicken breast

If you seriously can't handle the mainstream dishes due to whatever reason you have, probably your first and only experience of it was bad, I suggest you check out the South-Western/Muslim cuisine(Maranao, Maguindanso and Tausug). As they were never really colonized, they kept on with trade with the Malay archipelago and preserved the old way of cooking and have a shitton of seasoning. Rendang is historically present there and they also have a variety of curries like Tyula Itum with burnt coconut to flavor it and the godly delicious Beef Kulma. Satti is their version of Satay which is a must try. Now these are mainstream dishes. There are probably thousands of unheard dishes that are must trys

What about flip desserts? Sansrival is pretty neat.

this triggers Veeky Forums

its overshadowed by everything surrounding it
Thai,Vietnam,Malaysian and Indonesian cooking are much more well known

Say what you want but Flip desserts are objectively God Tier
Especially Turon. 2chrunchy4me

>pic
Geebus what a fucking pussy. Are you legitimately scared or what? Do you need to inject testosterone because your nuts doesn't produce enough to make you a man?

You sound like a genuine internet tough guy, must be tough being 12 years old with that much angst.

There's plenty of better options in the area without the lunatic president's death squads planting drugs on foreigners and extorting for money.

>lunatic president's death squads planting drugs on foreigners and extorting for money.
>this much cringe
Do you happen to not look people directly into their eyes whenever you talk to them?

Give me one example where there are foreigners killed by police or "vigilantes", or any proof of a state sponsored deathsquad to begin with
>brainlets ITT

I'm glad you avoided it because of that. Philippines doesn't deserve betafaggots like you who wanted to visit just to get laid. Duterte is the most based president ever

Filipino cuisine actually has some potential to be great, it's just ruined by Filipinos awful food culture and 5yo palate. Fucking sugar, fat/salt bombs and vinegar everywhere. Buying cheap shit ingredients due to poverty and using meat as a social class marker also hampers the cuisine.

There is no culinary knowledge whatsoever, no techniques. Fish is mostly shallow fried or done in a boring soup, or when it's grilled its always overcooked. Kilaw can be just as good as sushi if done rightbut everyone just soaks it in shit vinegar and no one even considers experimenting with other ingredients. There are dozens of complex vinegars that aren't even made anymore. Everyone eats fucking mass produced white rice in a country with hundreds of varieties of rice. Exotic vegetables aren't even considered since vegetables are for poor people. The variety of tropical fruits are barely incorporated in cooking. Rootcrops can be used but mostly in often oversweet desserts(ginataan can be great). Just douse everything in soy sauce and add chili if it's bland is the national pastime.

There are some gems scattered around the country but you'd have to have good ingredients and even more uncommon a decent cook to actually taste it, most food places just serve mediocre food.

A good fish Kilaw with native vinegar and fresh coconut milk is god tier. There is chicken simmered inside bamboo, there are noice chili pastes in bicol, Muslim food can be great, a proper lechon is delicious, ifugao rice wine, crab fat rice, bagoong/laolao , champorado, dinuguuan, karekare, sinigang, laing, arroz caldo are all great if done by a good cook.

It just lacks refinement and I guess it's cultural(very few decent artisans in the country since people don't give a fuck).

Its shit but easy to live with.

try harder

didn't say killed, try reading.
you might want to use google if you are capable.

>try to use Google

Get no results. You're probably the same guy who believed Iraq had WMD too eh?

People who believes this is actually happening deserves to get death squaded desu

Shut it, Duterte

>fat bombs
>bad

If you eat at some nice restaurant in Tagaytay, you will realize flip food has a massive potential. It's true alot of carinderias are pretty mediocre. But I have also had some bad food experience in Vietnam too. It could probably be due to the fact that both these countries had a huge population boom after WWII and has a relatively young population who is not experienced with cooking

you're not worth the effort poltards

>meat is for rich
>vegetables are for poor

You got that wrong. It's the other way around

When you're entire cuisine basically focuses on that, fucks up the cooking half the time, and barely bothers to try anything else, it gets boring. Lechon, sisig, flip bbq, adobo, and all the other meat focused dish can be done well, but it gets repetitive and boring.

>waaaah some people call me out for being a colossal faggot by believing that there are state sponsored death squads, must be poltards
You have yet to bring up a single article about a foreigner who was extorted for money by a so-called "state sponsored death squads" while disproving that shit like this(extortion) has been going on well since the 90's, just much less these days

Of course fucking broccoli and cauliflower are rich status symbols since they're "western vegetables".
Go to the countryside and you'll see how the poor eat cassava, camote, ampalaya, eggplants, sitaw, squash, bottle gourd and other shit while everyone else just eats meat to differentiate themselves from the poor.

It's far from the only stuff they make tho. They got heaps of seafood, noodle dishes, stews, woks and veggies

Putangina mo, talaga. Ulol ka

What kind of backward ass province are you from?

>seafood
is almost deepfried and overcooked half the time, when grilled almost always overcooked, tola is often bland or unbalanced.
>noodle dishes
the chinks make better noodle dishes though some pancit can be nice
>stews
caldereta/kare kare is sweet shit most of the time, sinigang often ubalanced
>woks
nothing of note
>veggies
Mixed with meat most of the time, bland pinakbets propped up with bagoong, laing can be good, but vegetable dishes are always in the minority.

I'm half waray but i've traveled around it it's like that in many parts of the country.

Problem with flip food is that most of the mainstream dishes aren't exactly always made good. There are also unknown gems as you said that are hidden in the country side. One reason for this is because WWII destroyed alot of the culinary culture in Philippines, and most people moved to Manila in the 70's to 90's and adapted to the God-awful Americanized cuisine there while dropping their traditional recipes
My fiancée's grandmother used to make some top tier stuffed chicken boiled in a stew of lemon grass, onion, garlic, turmeric and liters of pure calamansi juice that took well over a day to make. Don't remember all the ingredients but it was amazing when I tried to replicate it. When she moved to Cavite(south of Manila), Calamansi was hard to get in such quantities for a low price that she resorted to using Sprite instead as it's dirt cheap there. She didn't prefer it that much but tried to boil out the sugar to little success

Interesting cause that shit ain't the case where I'm from.