Tipping for a newbie

Ausfag heading to Murica in a fortnight for the first time and I realised I have no idea how tipping works other than that it is a common practice.

Do you tip in every food outlet? Like for example, ramen place where you order & pay at the counter and they give you a number and bring it out? Or does that not qualify seeing as it's not a waiter-service place? What about chains like Dennys? Also, how much is the 'average' tip amount that can be adjusted based on quality of service?

Also this may be a stupid question but does it extend to non-food places too? Like, if I was in a department store and someone on the floor really helped me out in finding something, do I tip them?

Sorry if this is dumb or has been asked a million times, I'm just not quite sure what to expect over there and don't want to come across as an asshole.

Tip in places where you get waited on, basically. Like, in Georgia, USA, it's common to do about 15% of your order on food. You don't tip department store folks, but you might tip a valet for parking your car or bringing your luggage up at a fancy hotel.

You never learn without asking, it's all good. Also attempt to not refer to someone as "Cunt", or else do it as much as possible in order to establish it as "Part of your charm".

10-15% depending on the service.

Why tip at someplace you are never going to go to again?

not related but you should've went to canada, talked to a student at uni who went there and said his cab driver told him to not tip anyone because its not an australian custom so why should we follow their rules.

>and don't want to come across as an asshole
arsehole*

Tipping is a meme spread on here by O B S E S S E D

Don't tip. Most people will be insulted if you tip. It's like throwing pennies at them as if they're homeless.

There are jobs that literally get a smaller wage because the folks that come are expected to tip. You're a cunt.

Oh look, it's this thread again. Inb4 insecure tighwads that are too cheap to give a shit about the people handling their food.

Fast food: Nope, no tip.
Coffee shops: Sure, maybe a buck if you get a fancy drink.
Full table-service restaurants with servers: 20% left with the rest of the bill for the server.
Food delivery, like pizza: Varies. $1-$2 and the change is fine for regular-sized orders (a pizza and a side item or two). More if you're ordering for a party, but they'll usually help you set up the food.
Taxis: A couple of bucks and the change.
Hotel porters, room service, and maids. A couple bucks. For porters, a couple bucks per suitcase. For maids, a buck per day in the hotel.
Bars and bartenders: This one varies, since you can pay be the drink or run a tab and settle up at the end of the night. On a tab, a straight 20% is fine, but check your tab, because some shithead bartenders will ring up drinks you didn't order and pocket the difference. I pay by the drink, tip $2 and the change on the first drink, $1 and the change on all later drinks and have never had a problem with bar staff being cool with me.
Department stores: nope, can't think of a situation you would tip.

Tips are basically for people that serve you food, carry your bags, take you places, or clean up after you.

>Tip in places where you get waited on, basically.
This. If they bring water to your table, give a tip.

Tip is 15-20%. You can change that based on the quality of service. If your waiter was an asshole and you don't want to go back there again, don't tip. If you want to get buddy with the staff, leave big tips.

> Like, if I was in a department store and someone on the floor really helped me out in finding something, do I tip them?
That's funny to think about, no.

Also make sure to talk about the outback and kangaroos. Pretend you work with animals or something.

Wow, your predictable bait response somehow manages to make Veeky Forums even more boring than usual.

He knows he's a cunt. He gets his food delivered last for that reason. He thinks posting bait on Veeky Forums is more valuable than not being treated like dogshit by the people handling his food.

If they make minimum wage, just tip them 10%.
If you only have cash, tip them to the nearest round $5 on purchased greater than $20.
If you're a poorfag, just call them a brazen pleb and say your service wasn't becoming of such a high class individual such as yourself and make up some excuse how tipping isn't a thing in third world countries like Europe, Russia, Japan and Australia.

Generally you only tip if you get waited on.

You don't have to tip on carryout orders (unless you order a serious shitload of food, then you should give them a couple bucks).

>calls my post "bait"
>reprimands another poster for responding
>still argues with me and goes into reasons why people should tip

Only tip if you plan on being a regular there. You're gonna get terrible service because you're a forieghner (not a regular) you might as well forget about tipping.

Not even true. In NYC OP would get that if he was Arab, and maybe in LA if he was Korean. Aussies get a pass as the fun foreigners. As long as he's drinking and talking, he'll get fine service right off the bat.

counter service = no tip
food brought to table = tip. cheap food? couple dollars or so. restaurant? 15-20 is standard
carry out = no tip

large orders negate the no tip rule and you should give a few bucks.

If I was just going to USA for a holiday I wouldn't tip. It's not like you will see any of these people again after you leave.

>mu-muh food was delivered last
>because you now somehow tip for your service before you get any
>i had to wait an extra 8 minutes with my friends, fucking around, while someone who came in alongside me got their salad!
outrageous

>Implying you have friends
You're shitposting on a cooking board on Saturday night. I think we all know that's not the case. It's a regular thing you tumor-on-the-penis. Drivers get to know addresses after two or three deliveries. You're getting your food last and cold every time. Hell, I've had some bitches order a ton of food for themselves and their co-workers at a factory and steal the tip for themselves. Every time they ordered after that, I'd open all the windows in my car, open all the pizza boxes, and give them their pile of food with only ten minutes left on their lunch break.

I love how a simple question from the OP turned into burgers calling each other cunts and arguing about the people who handle their food getting paid $2 per hour

In Australia we don't have waitresses like the US. In the US you are like dedicated a waitress they constantly come around and ask you if you need more water, drinks, food, ask if there are any problems etc. If they are good to you, like responsive and not mean & don't leave you waiting 10minutes for water then you tip them around 10 - 15%

Its nothing like eating out in Australia. Though I like eating out in Australia more than the US. Makes you understand why they are so fat they don't get anything thereself

tipping is stupid.

You only tip at 'sit down' restaurants, and only based on service.

>shit service
Either don't tip of give less than 5%

>good service
tip from 15%-20%

It sounds like you're going to a shithole anyway, so it doesn't matter.

If you give me a throwaway email, I'll show you the best america, and show you how the non-shithole part of this country works.

If you're sitting down to eat the standard is 15-20%. Only teenagers, black people, and aspie NEET losers tip 10% or don't tip at all.

If you're getting takeout in a restaurant with a dedicated takeout person/section like at Outback usually that person is making less than min. wage so if you want to throw them a few bucks.

Same with bartenders. $1-2 per drink is fine. IF you want that bartender to take good care of you all night though, tip really good on your first drink. Every time you go to get another drink after you won't have to wait as long.

No you don't need to tip at groceries or department stores. Takeout places the person behind the counter is making hourly so no need to tip them. If there is a tip jar be sure to ask if the employees actually get those tips.

You can tip the guy bringing up your luggage if you want OR you can not be lazy and bring your shit up yourself. Same with valets.

Remember that you're representing your country and a lot of waiters are very apprehensive about foreigners because they have a reputation for not tipping well or at all. If you don't want your waiter/s to think you and all Australians are assholes and not worth giving good service to, then don't give them a reason.

i forgot I'll buy the extra ticket. pls just be normal.

no fuck you nigger.

10% was the standard 10 years ago and i aint fucking changing shit.

bitch about it and you can fuck right off while i wipe my ass with that 20 instead

Are you going to eat at this place again within the next month?
Are you with company?
Do you WANT to tip your server?

If you answered no to all of these then don't tip.
If you answered yes, then tip.

>too cheap to give a shit about the people handling their food
It is the job of the employer to pay their workers to do their job. Tipping amounts to nothing more than an allegedly voluntary tax on services.

>Every time they ordered after that, I'd open all the windows in my car, open all the pizza boxes, and give them their pile of food with only ten minutes left on their lunch break.
You're sabotaging their orders? How do you still have a job after pulling that shit?

You tip:

Bartenders
Waiters
Bellhops (only like, 1-5 dollars max)
Guys who Park your Car (1-5 dollars max)

If you have a waiter, and they bring food to your table, you tip them. If you order and pick up at a counter, you just pay price.

I range 10-20% based on service, I don't feel obligated to give 20% but I usually will unless someone is a cunt.

>Aussie
>Foreigner

If he's white, no one will even tell he's not American unless he tells them

If 10% is good enough for fucking God Almighty, it's good enough for my fucking Waiter

If you're just coming for a brief visit or vacation, don't bother. Everyone here knows the only reason to tip is to avoid shitty service or spit in your food the next time you go to the restaurant, since they might remember you not tipping the last time. If you're not going to go back there for a long while or even ever again, you obvoiusly don't have to worry about this and can just not tip. Anyone who denies this is and insists that you "have to tip" a salty waitstaff cuck defending shitty business practices and can be safely ignored.

fast food places, no.
Most places nowadays also apply a "service charge" to your bill meaning you're charged for a tip, and don't have to tip if you don't want. Usually franchise places like denny's and village in don't do that though, so your tips are pretty much the make or break for the person's wage. If they're good, they get a good tip, usually a fiver or a ten, if they're bad, they get some pocket change and lint.

Really though it's up to you. It's not "customary" to do anything, you can just never tip because chances are any place you go to worth eating at will have a service charge anyway.

Tip:
>cab driver/uber/lyft driver
>waiters/waitresses/bartender
>valet driver
Don't tip:
>anyone else
Tip low for shitty service, tip high for good service. 15-20%. I usually tip high, round numbers if I get a groupon for a free/very low price meal and low if the server is rude, has a bad attitude, or doesn't come often enough when it's not busy enough to warrant slow service.

found the black folks.

>You tip:

>Bartenders
>Waiters
>Bellhops (only like, 1-5 dollars max)
>Guys who Park your Car (1-5 dollars max)

>If you have a waiter, and they bring food to your table, you tip them. If you order and pick up at a counter, you just pay price.

All of this, OP. And if you are only planning on visiting a place once, don't even bother with the tip.

If I go into a sandwhich shop, I like to tip before they make my sandwich. Like when they say "Hi what can I get you?" I take out five bucks and say this is for you, stuff it in the tip jar then tell them what I want. Gets you an amazing sandwich that way.

Take your food and tell them to get a better job if they complain. Tipping is a retarded jewish scam.

If you have a waiter or waitress serving you. Tip.

If you get a delivery service. Tip.

If there is a tip jar on the counter. Tip.

If you get a special service like a haircut or a spa or nail treatment. Tip.

All of this is only encourageable if they have been nice and or friendly with you and you felt appreciative of what kind of customer service you received.

Wait, you're supposed to tip hotel maids? Fuck.

No, black folks don't tip period.

I worked at a hotel as a night auditor where I would also drive shuttle van to the airport in the morning, and because of how close we were we had a contract with Delta airlines and took a lot of their flight attendants on short layovers.

Delta flight staff are actually paid a stipend, by the company, for the purpose of tipping. Now, I never felt obligated for tips, or really gave a shit, because I was an auditor and worked full time and made ok-low money and had good benefits, so what the fuck ever right?

But the black people and indians would never tip, even though they're supposed to and even provided money for the purpose of providing their driver and luggage handler a dollar.

What they do instead is POCKET that money and claim that they tipped, essentially raking in a couple extra bucks for themselves every day.

>If there is a tip jar on the counter. Tip.
Hold up

I see these fucking things in Moe's and shit sometimes

If these fuckers think i'm going to tip because I want a shitty burrito they got another thing coming. Any yabbo can put out a tip jar, unless their Corp regs. forbid it (like at McDonalds, your ass can get fired for that)

Just bring your pet kangaroo with you and they won't notice if you don't leave a tip or they'll understand because you're foreign

Yeah fuck the tip jar

can confirm. No one was even mad, they just wanted to pet Skippy.

Later on some hood rats hassled me and I yelled "LOOK OUT SKIPPY, ABBOS!" and as trained he lost his shit and started kicking the fuck out of them

Best damn thing I ever traded 2 jumbucks for

Why? what do they do that warrants it?

Prostitute I imagine. Otherwise food deliver. You never see room service until you're gone so who cares.

Don't be a cuck. Don't tip anything.
t. proud American

This, people don't seem to understand how inflation works. It should really be at least 25%.

You only need to tip if you go to a sit-in restaurant where they service you at your table (this does not include fast food). The standard tip rate is between 10-20% of your bill, but most of the time I just throw $2-3 on the table if it was nothing spectacular.

Tipping is the most ridiculous custom we have here in the US. It's only an excuse for employers to not pay a decent wage.

>restaurant
>20% tip for the server
>tipping servers
Our restaurant tips out equally to all staff but it's bullshit. People shouldn't even tip restaurants, it's the employer's job to pay a living wage.

I heard you can just clap for 30 seconds or so instead of tipping.

Mae sure you let them know you aren't going to tip as you're ordering the food, just so they don't get their hopes up.