Which knife do you use?
Tell us about it
Would you recommend it?
Tips to knife beginners, and all things knife related

Other urls found in this thread:

knivesandtools.co.uk/en/pt/-victorinox-fibrox-chef-s-knife-20-cm-5-2063-20.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The chef knifes I bought in a 2 pack at target

I have an 8'' IKEA 365+ chef's knife that I use a lot, even though I have more than 70 other chef's knives in my collection. It is comfortable to hold, easy to clean, it has got a good profile and even a properly thin geometry so it doesn't wedge in hard poduce like pumpkin or fresh celeriac or kohlrabi. It also takes and holds an edge surprisingly well. For what it costs it is an amazingly good knife.

I use pic related meme knife and I fucking love it. Perfect balance, keeps an edge, great ergonomics.

And pic related that I got for like $20 at Target and is honestly 90% as good as the Kramer at 10% of the price. Not as good for use during service though because it loses its edge pretty fast.

forgot pic

Do most of you use multi-purpose chefs knives, or do you have a specific knife for each task?

do you have a real Kramer or a zwilling one?

I have this, a mercer bread knife, utility knide, and fillet knife. All are mercer genesis series
Handkes are based, balance is good, steel is less so. Half the time i use my edc knife (see reply) unless im cooking on a large scale as its always on me and i keep it sharp as hell

I use some Kiwi knives. I'd recommend them as they cost like $4 each.

I got a new one recently. I had an old basic henckels knive set, but I was never really happy with it. Then when I went to order a new carbon steel pan online I saw this one, highly recommended, for only €50. So far I really like it, if only because it looks and feels really good.

you're not seriously cooking with that, are you?

Hey, I've got the same knive in my collection, I have had it for years. Still havent got around to actually trying it out!

>collection
>hasn't even used some of 'm
How many knives do you have?

Isn't a knife a knife? As long as it's sharpened and durable enough for what you need it for, is there really a difference?

Jesus christ clean your keyboard

Well, if you're a cook on a battleship and you're attacked by terrorists, you'll have a better chance in a knife fight with a good knife.

I got a SilkyChef knife from the dollar store. I sharpen it with a whet stone I got from the dollar store.

>is there really a difference?
Sure. Some knives are more ergonomic than others. A home cook might not care but if you're working with the knife for hours at at time it makes a huge difference in comfort. Also, a better quality knife will keep a sharp edge with much less frequent maintenance than a cheap one. Crappy ones need very frequent honing and sharpening. Better knives can go much longer before you have to sharpen them.

And then there's aesthetics/appearance--some people care about that, others don't give a crap.

>Isn't a video game just a video game? Is there really a difference between an Atari and a Playstation 4?

>Isn't a car just a car? Is there really a difference between a Pinto and a Ferarri?

>Isn't music just music? Is there really a difference between a church choir and thrash metal?

For serious cooking no, but for simple things like sandwiches and wraps with minimal prep yes
Sue me

if you're a aircon repair man on a blimp and you're attacked by insectoids from the center of the earth, you'll have a better chance in a knife fight with a good knife.

What movie is that?

Wusthof Ikon and some japanse knife, also a few small knives. 2 cheaper large knives from some shitty brands. I basically use the Ikon for cutting meat and vegs and use the cheaper knives for opening plastic packaging and harder stuff like bones.

About 70 knives, all full size chef's knives. Not including some parers and pettys. Mostly European brands, but also two Hattoris, a Miyabi, a Fujiwara, a CarboNext, a Yaxell, a Hiromoto AS, etc ... I mostly started cooking because I liked knives, both sharpening and working with them, so I have a rather different background than other people here.

There are huge differences. Balance, ergonomics, quality of steel, but mostly the grind. I just need to look at most knives on ebay or amazon to see that they will be utter shit and a huge pain in the ass to work with.

- A huge bevel that indicated a blade that is as thick as a brick behind the shoulder and will require a mallet to force it through a fresh carrot

- A downward sloping handle that will make it very awkward to hold the knife properly

- a partial hollow grind on the balde that shows the knife was made in the cheapes way possible, and that everything else was just as cheap (here's looking at you Cutco)

A bolster or unsharpened part at the heel of the blade that juts out beyond the curve of the edge and will make any proper rock-chop cuts inpossible

etc etc etc ...

Whichever one has the pretties pattern-weld.

When I moved into my new house and rebuilt the kitchen, I bought a new Wusthof set, but I still mostly use the same 100-year old carbon steel French blades I got when I first started cooking seriously.

For those starting out, a chef's knife and a paring knife a really all you need. Everything else is gilding the lily.

The trinity of kitchen knives: A Chef, Pairing & Bread knife. These are all you need in a kitchen, or so the famous names also say (Jamie, Gordon f.e.).

Can attest myself, although I'm not much of a cook. Besides having used a 6 inch utility knife instead of a Chefs knife for a long time, the only other knives I really use are my pairing (peeler) knives, and a bread knife for bread of course.

I still overuse the pairing knives though. I've got some old carbon steel ones that are light and sharp as hell and glide through everything so easily it's tempting to just keep using them for other things too, like cutting onions.

> I still mostly use the same 100-year old carbon steel French blades I got when I first started cooking seriously.
Was that yesterday, or the day before?

It was actually three days ago.
Yesterday I was fucking your mother.
The day before yesterday I was fucking your father.

Oh, that reminds me: tell your sister, I'll be over at 8:30 tomorrow evening.

I don't have a sister. If I did we'd be making mutant babies and living as husband and wife in some small town where no one knows us, and I wouldn't be shitposting on Veeky Forums on sunday afternoon

Japanese knives are unironically the best.

You got me. I have the mass-produced one. I certainly wouldn't recommend it for anyone who's not a professional, they probably wouldn't notice much difference. But when your're making hundreds of cuts per day and you need your knife to stay razor sharp through a whole service, the difference is definitely noticeable.

>japanese knives are the best
>posts a knife made in Colorado

Most of the prep is done with chinese cleaver in 1141
Also a gihei gyuto in hap40 that is fun, would thoroughly recommend.
Tips
Get a decent stone (king 1/6k, moo 1/5k, green brick of joy)
Try chinese cleavers; cck are nice
Importing jknjves can be a lot cheaper from nip; try chefknivesjapan.com

What's a good all-round chef's knife to get for a beginner in the UK, nothing fancy, nothing expensive

This is the food board, not the weapons board. Save a life, bin that knife

Very epic my good sir, I like it!

>chefknivesjapan.com
>every single knife is some kind of nashiji/suminagashi embarrassing gimmick crap and vg-10 or some other gummy god awful memesteel
when did Williams Sonoma invade Japan?

What the fuck is that?

IKEA 365 plus 8'', Wüsthof Silverpoint 8'' or 9''

The autists here will object, because it has become popular so it must be screeched at, but the Victorinox Fibrox is a good deal and only costs around £25.

There's also the Kuma chef knife, which is even a bit cheaper, but only available through Amazon afaik. Both knives have been getting really good reviews.

>the Kuma chef knife
Even in the picture on amazon.com one can see how overground that knife is in front of the bolster. The bolster sticks out so much above the edge that it can't even come into contact with the cutting board. Anything towards the heel of the knife will remain uncut, or only partially cut. It is also impossible to do a proper rock-chopping motion with such a knife. It's depressing to think how many thousands of people will have to deal with that POS knife for the next years because they don't know what's wrong with it.

Got a Kamata Hakensha during my trip in Japan, similar to the one on the middle. Not bad and not expensive.

I wish I had bought more knives, but I got retarded and spent too much on weeb shit.

>The autists here will object, because it has become popular so it must be screeched at, but the Victorinox Fibrox is a good deal and only costs around £25.

You're missing the point. There's nothing special about the Fibrox. It's just a standard "industrial" knife meant for commercial kitches, caterers, and factories which make food. It's one of several brands that are essentially identical. Bakers-and-Chefs, Mercer, Dexter-Russel, and others make the exact same knife. The difference is that the Fibrox has increased in price (almost double!) in the last few years thanks to recommendations, but the lesser known brands have not. You can buy a Dexter, which is the exact same knife, for half as much money.

That computer generated picture doesn't do it justice. Look at a real picture here. It's fine. And if you're going to say it'll get worse after grinding, yeah, but the same goes for the beloved Wusthof classic or any other knife with a large bolster. You can just have it grinded if it ever becomes a problem.

>others make the exact same knife.
Can you guarantee this? I'm sure there will be better deals out there, but this is a sure thing with a lot of support. Something a beginner may be more interested in than betting his money on something that may be better.

>The difference is that the Fibrox has increased in price
It's 24 pounds on the site I got the picture from. Still seems pretty cheap to me.

>Can you guarantee this?
Absoloutely.

>but this is a sure thing with a lot of support.
Yes, but as I explained already, there's nothing exceptional about the Fibrox. It's a good knife, but it's hardly unique in that regard.

Don't sperg out about memorizing a specific brand name. Instead, learn WHY that specific knife is recommended so you can apply those criteria to other tools you might want to consider.

Again, there's nothing wrong with the Fibrox. It's a good knife. But there are others just like it that don't have the hype associated with the name thus they are cheaper.

Where did you find it for £24?

knivesandtools.co.uk/en/pt/-victorinox-fibrox-chef-s-knife-20-cm-5-2063-20.htm

They have pretty bad edge retention.

Nice, thanks
Now I just need to find out if it's as good as you're saying or as unexceptional as the other user is saying

I've got a basic 8" chef's knife that does the bulk of the work around the kitchen. I got it after almost killing myself using my roommate's trash knives. They weren't full tang so the blade just snapped off the handle trying to cut through a potato.

Holy shot, I wanted to get myself that one

So it's worth it

>move to new place
>"oh boy let's get some new kitchen stuff"
>buys knife set cheap
>they are all serrated
What the fuck do I do

cut bread

Buy a single, non-serrated, chef's knife. (or santoku, or chinese knife, if you prefer). That's all you need.

I usually reach for one of these two when I'm in the kitchen at home.

1. cuts are for beginners, technique is forever
2. heavy knife does the work for you
3. don't buy fish knifes unless you are cutting bulk fish
4. the bread knife is good for all kinds of things
5. blade is most important for the first hour, grip is most important for the third hour
6. just get a cheap paring knife, in fact get two
7. pawn shops are full of decent knifes idiots couldn't use and miss-sharpened
8. expensive knives are a liability in a shared kitchen

Hey do you guys recommend either a 120mm petty or a 150mm petty to go along with a 190mm Santoku? My go to knife is the Santoku which is a Yoshihiro but sometimes to big for real small things.

If you find the 190 santoku to be too big, then I can't see how the 150 petty is much better. Go with the 120, or even shorter.

What do you need it for anyway? The only thing I ever use my paring knife for is removing the core/seeds from hot peppers, or trimming strawberries. Everything else is easily done with a larger chef's knife. Unless you are doing a lot of fine delicate work like topping strawberries or carving fancy little garnishes they don't have much use.