Blue apron

Any cu/ck/s here try blue apron? My friend recommended me so I got 3 free meal to try out. I thought the service was overpriced for some mediocre recipes but I have to say the quality of the produce is pretty good. I just had the best tomato I've ever had from them. What're your thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

businessinsider.com/blue-apron-has-a-much-bigger-problem-than-amazon-2017-6
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Do they still let you sign up, take your 3 free boxes and then cancel immediately?

businessinsider.com/blue-apron-has-a-much-bigger-problem-than-amazon-2017-6

Haven't tried it, never will.

I tried it with the same deal and had a pretty similar consensus. The packaging makes for a fuckload of trash, I didn't enjoy dealing with it.

Great input.

I believe so yea which is in turn hurting them pretty badly. It's interesting though to think why they're struggling, is it because most of their customer base are swines who don't appreciate quality produce or is it because it's 20 dollars for each meal they send you?

burn in hell marketers

Think about it this way.
Anyone who signs up is going to receive a box full of ingredients you could buy at any store, realize cooking is actually kinda rewarding and then cancel because they intend to go shopping for food from now on.
Who would continue to stick around and pay $20 for a preassembled recipe?

Hey man second quarter earnings fell way short of projections and they need to expand their subscription base, what better way than marketing to young adults with disposable income but few cooking skills

millennials dont have any money

>enough food for a week
No wonder Americans are so fat

What is that big red thing top middle?

Graffiti Eggplant.

>city boys can't identify the sicilian eggplant
MIDWEST WINS

>or is it because it's 20 dollars for each meal they send you?
bingo. They have the whole set up like it was specifically to lose money. They need to have a first time deal where you purchase so many meals at a discount rather a free trial. This would lower the costs of the meals overall, so maybe people would actually continue the service.

I have my doubts about packaging hysteria and sending food across the fkn country in an individual box. Call me a tree-hugger all you wish, but 50 years from now you will get shot for using a service like this, and rightly so.

It's an overpriced service for retards that can't Google recipes.

You're absolutely correct, the packaging generates so much fucking garbage.

Had to Google it. This is the waste from 3 meals.
Outrageous.

now this is an obvious shill thread. it pops up every few weeks and the OP never mentions that you still have to pay for the rest of the time period’s subscription. the trial isn’t completely free

>shilling on a slow board full of people that dine exclusively on burgers and chicken nuggies
Interesting marketing strategy.

Yea it's a huge nuisance. The company does have a recycling plant locater and they also provide shipping labels to send the waste back to them but that's a pain in the ass and kind of shitty seeing as people pay 60 dollars a week for the service

I like Blue Apron. I've used it on and off for a couple years. Had some great meals, very few duds. I get bored of it then take a break and go back. Not to many complaints.

Fuck off shill, how much do they pay you for making these weekly threads? Twat

I could buy all of that at the grocery store without the shame of buying food in the mail.

>i used to think it was shit like you guys but signing up for the $30 trial is totally worth it!

Sorry would you have preferred another fucking mcchicken thread?

It's reasonably priced. The quality and variety is decent considering it's designed for mass appeal. It upsets NEETs. What's not to like?

I can see where someone terrified of cooking and who views it as some kind of mystical art or sorcery and just stares blankly at a recipe on the internet like it's written in latin could benefit by using it for a month or so to gain confidence. Then, when they look at recipes on their own, they'll understand the relationship of how raw ingredients are combined to produce a whole better than the individual parts. Why someone would go beyond 1 month is beyond my level of understanding unless they simply like paying 4X what the same quality ingredients cost elsewhere.

tl;dr fuck off shill, we already know how to look at a recipe and go to a grocery to purchase the ingredients.

Projection

Midwest is best West. /Midwestboys2016/ ftw

>implying midwesterns have vegetables other than iceberg lettuce, ketchup, and canned mandarin orange wedges
Oh for silly. Spam is not a vegetable sweetie.

>hasn't heard of recycling
To me it looks like 90% of that stuff is recyclable.

Considering his default response to something he doesn't understand is to shoot someone, he's probably from Texas where recycling was outlawed along with gays and blacks using public toilets, evolution, and using the Lord's name in vain

Hawaiians use spam, honey. But I don't expect you to know about other states' cultures when you're too busy with your head stuck up your ass

>oh shit he made a joke at my expense
>reads the spam wikipedia entry
>hey uh, they eat it in hawaii! it is often served with rice in asia!
At least you tried

>have a recycling plant locater
>also provide shipping labels
That is just sending garbage through the post. Insanity

>90% of that stuff is recyclable.
And 95% of the US isn't German or Scandinavian. IE, you can kid yourself that this is recycled. Protip: it isn't

Hence the company's failing...

You forgot Jello, they consider that a veg too.

I worked at a recycle plant for a while. We separated things by hand on a big conveyer (we used community service and jail people) ANY thing that was in a bag was thrown out, it isn't worth ripping it open to see what might be inside. Any thing that is dirty or has food/grease like canned soup or pizza boxes was thrown out. The overwhelming majority of stuff just gets thrown out anyways. Sad really

>it's reasonably priced
oh i am laffin

The problem is that only very novice cooks sign up for this shit and once they actually cook the blue aprony stuff a few times and follow the instructions, they realize it's really fucking simple just to go to the grocery store yourself and save a fuck ton of money; plus you can tailor the taste to your liking

And there you go again with the projecting. I was cooking out of Joy of Cooking when I was 7. Julia Child as a teenager, Larousse when I was living in a dumpy college house and everyone around me was struggling with microwave Annie's Mac & Cheese.

I've gone through the whole cycle of ethnic grocery stores, whole foods, mainstream grocery stores, farmers markets, CSAs, and so on. I'm perfectly familiar with the crock pot counting your pennies approach, the #100milediet fad, extreme couponing, and all the rest.

I use BA, I know a lot of people who use BA, I don't know anyone who uses BA to learn to cook. I, and most other people, use BA because it's convenient and good.

>I know how to cook
>I use BA because it's convenient and good.
That does not compute. Do you live 20 miles from a grocery store?

>someone has different values than me
>does not compute
I'm about a 10 minute walk from 2 different grocery stores. Sometimes I'm in the mood. Sometimes I'm not. I usually go grocery shopping by bike though because the place I like most is about 5 miles away.

They make just enough to buy overpriced ingredients actually

Youre obviously just a shill and doing a horrible job at hiding it

I wish all that was true so I could move to Texas

>all this effort to pretend to be a shill on an Idahoan McChicken forum
Why

Predictable

You guys are like the WIDF, as soon as someone doesn't like the Wisconsin cheese that person must obviously be trolling or insane and have literally never set foot in America and probably would like to destroy it

And so it is with BA, if a person likes it they must be a shill

I sure do love Blue Apron™! Me and all of my food and cooking friends just love the incredible value that Blue Apron™ provides! What could be better than spending $20 per meal for some bland recipes in a box that you could make just as easily and cheaper if you bought the ingredients yourself? That's the power of Blue Apron™, baby!

but Wisconsin objectively makes a lot of America's best cheese

quality cringe m8, thx

Have a (You)
@9326696
no (you) for you

They surely make a shit ton of cheap cheese, but they also make most of the good stuff. They make most of America's cheese at every tier

>projecting this hard
I actually saw the Hawaiian thing on "My Family Recipe Rocks". Not all of us are dumb enough to use Wikipedia as our main source of info

Tried 3 meals with parents and 2/3 dishes were slathered in gatling and lemon juice. We wanted to try following exactly the first time, but you need to have some discretion when following their recipes.
Not bad tho

>gatling
I don't know what this is but it sounds exotic. I will definitely sign up for my Blue Apron™ trial subscription today!

t. STUPID Normie Soccer Mom from Facebook

some people don't want to learn how to cook, they want to have different recipes that are delicious and make it into a once a month activity that costs less than going out to a restaurant.

basically, lazy people with moderate to high incomes who need a hobby and don't want to learn how to cook on their own but merely have ingredients + a canned recipe to follow.

Maybe, the vast majority of people don't want to spend $60 for a days worth of food?

THIS THIS THIS
I hate my mom and I HATE blue apron

I'd never order blue apron but that's hardly a reason for me to give a fuck.

but their parents do

They've got plenty of money. Their monthly subscription to their phone toys costs more than the payments on my first car. Not to mention their vidya games, expensive hipster beers and coffee, and their incredibly overpriced personal care products (pic related)

>those goddamn millennials and their avocado toast

What a horrible service and horrible shills.

If I'm paying $9+ per meal, then it had better be already cooked.

Glad this shit is failing

I won't shit on Blue Apron because it got my brother interested in cooking. It's accessible if you have the cash for it. He cancelled the subscription the moment he felt competent enough to figure all this shit out for himself. Now me and him grill on his deck every week. Last week was stuffed mini bell peppers filled with a little crumbled manchego cheese, shredded mild cheddar, chopped cilantro and garlic, some cholula and pickled jalapeno to give it some heat and a pinch of meat from the main. Which was tacos made from skirt steak marinated in garlic and lime and grilled to perfection. Small corn tortillas heated with a little oil on the grill and thrown together with the meat, grilled jalapenos, chopped onion, cilantro and homemade salsa. We also grilled up the tortillas cut into triangles to make some chips, salted them and made some guacamole to go with the salsa for a snack. We used the leftovers to make nachos with the homemade chips. This was all done on a sunny day drinking beers on a wooden deck. So I'm gonna sum it up by saying blue apron makes learning cooking more accessible to people who otherwise don't know how to get started.

I tried it. I paid $30 for 3 x 2-people food (regular price $60). Discounted price is barely acceptable in my opinion. Food was pretty good.

Sure you can buy 5 lbs of ground beef and freeze
and use it over a month. But what are you going to do with green onions, ginger, some exotic spice and stuff like that. I don't want to buy a head of lettuce and use two leaves in two days and watch it spoil in the fridge.

Grocery stores or some other businesses should think of a way of providing these additional items.

*providing these additional items in small quantities, preferably tailored for a specific recipe.

Most of the people I know who use Blue Apron are people with kids who don't want to go grocery shopping and live in an urban area, so they get food delivery already

In some countries they do, but in murrika people get offended at small quantities of anything

This. Not that I've tried Blue Apron yet, but I find it interesting. Going to my grocery store after work is an exercise in frustration. Even a short shopping trip at 5:00 means I won't be home until about 6, as opposed to 5:15, and I'm struggling to figure out what I should buy so it doesn't all fuckin' spoil long before I ever get around to using it for more than one meal. Then it's another hour or so to cook and clean up.

If I could come home at 5:15 and have something portioned out to cook a couple of times a week, I might actually cook instead of eating out every night.

So you'll pay 10x the cost just because you're too lazy and retarded to make a list and meal plan?

>not knowing how to cook
You should have tried it for a bit longer, gotten some cooking skills under your belt, and then you wouldn't have to wonder what to do about heads of lettuce because you'd know how to cook

Well, like I said, I haven't tried it yet. And being a single guy, I don't know if they have meals that make sense for a single portion, because everyone I know that's done it is a couple or family.

But really, I am realistically not going to cook a full "meal plan" for myself each night. My tastes change day-to-day, and I hate eating variants of the same thing night to night. I don't frequently have time to cook, but could do it 2-3 times a week.

I'm already paying 10x the cost to eat out or order in every night as it stands, it may be nice to learn how to cook some various dishes in the meantime.

I get that

As said above, if you're going to pay that much per meal, then just go out to eat

These meal services with shipping are usually more expensive than just going out for every meal.

If you're not saving any money and you don't get any of the other positives, then just keep going out.

This is aimed at Millennials with beards and thick rim glasses

>These meal services with shipping are usually more expensive than just going out for every meal.
Not really. Dinner at that quality level would be $20 or so, not including tip, not including anything else, and for me dinner is not dinner without a glass of wine, so realistically we're looking at maybe $40, vs maybe $15-16 on the Blue Apron if you include the cost of wine.

Well, I'm learning some kind of a skill though. I know I can Google these recipes, but if I want to ease my way into it, this isn't a bad option... OR I could see it being a successful thing to do with a significant other a few times a week.

My only point is that sometimes cost isn't the #1 factor in life.

This is a good point too. When I go out, I probably spend $30 on a comparable meal. Much more if it's a meal for two.

Also it's probably worth pointing out that anywhere serving dinner at $20 for the food isn't going to have very good wine by the glass. Count yourself lucky if the house red is something sane like Cotes du Rhone and not some god awful Malbec or whatever. At home I control the wine

And the converse of this is that people feel emotionally attached to places that force them to buy insane quantities of anything

You should hear my mentally ill hoarder coworkers gush about how they bought a half a cow and a military contract size consignment of toilet paper at Costco. Like, fucking hell man, what are you even going to do with that?

Personally I'm grateful for the meat cutter at the Italian charcuterie place for shaving me off a 3mm slice of guanciale because that's literally all I need for a recipe, but knowing the mentality in this country most people would sue for emotional distress if it was even hinted at that they might have the option of purchasing such an insultingly small amount

I skip every other one because every week is just more than I want to spend and put effort into. But it's a fun thing to do with the boyfriend every other weekend. More than likely we're just going to keep the recipes and start making shit on our own based on the stuff we like.

Hmm.

Where the hell are you getting these food prices? I've never seen bananas cost that much but I've also never seen rice cost that little. None of these make any sense. I still think cooking cost less but use a better image to prove your point

>he doesn't know how to cook
stop buying your groceries at the rich store for ignorant soccer moms

But you're the one overpaying for bananas

37 cents for a whole chicken?!

I'm pretty sure that image is listing prices per the amount used in the dish, like 4 ounces of chicken. Which is obviously a stupid way of doing it.

What's stupid about it? Even if you have to buy larger amounts of food then you simply use the leftovers in a separate dish.

That's the basics behind eating frugally: minimize waste. It's also nice to have a variety of ingredients on hand so you can make different dishes depending on what mood you are in.

Which is a point that was brought up earlier, that a lot of this stuff doesn't store that long and so having too large of a variety of ingredients often leads to waste.

>that a lot of this stuff doesn't store that long
What are: drying, smoking, curing, fermenting, pickling, confit, canning, preserves, and freezing? Just about any ingredient can be kept for a very very long time, or made into something else which can.

>>having too large of a variety of ingredients often leads to waste.
Variety doesn't lead to waste. Ineptitude and ignorance do.

One of the things my family did when I was a kid (and I still do today) is every once in a while, dig out all the leftover stuff from your fridge and serve that for lunch. Instead of making a specific dish, just get out all your leftover bits of veggie, small pieces of cheese, boil up a couple eggs, gather up all the leftover cold cuts, etc. Grab some bread, and go to town. Everyone sits around the table, buffet-style, and eats whatever they care to. Waste not want not.

Also, things like fry-ups/hashes and stews are great ways to use up leftover ingredients before they go bad. I made a beef stew a couple days ago. I followed my normal recipe but I thew in some parsnips that I had sitting the fridge, as well as the last couple links of sausage and a burger patty I had left over from a BBQ on Friday last week.

My mother did this too. We used everything in the fridge so fridays always sucked since it was always leftovers. If you know how to wash and store vegetables, they should last around a week (and you shouldn't be keeping vegetables for longer anyways). Fruits and vegetables are the only thing that spoil fast. Everything else can be chucked into the freezer.

Some vegetables can keep much longer than a week. Carrots, celery, parsnips, potatoes last for ages. After a few weeks celery might start to get a bit soft. That isn't very pleasant for raw dishes, but it's still perfectly usable in a soup or stew. Or you can make stock with it. Onions last for a few weeks as well. If you get them in season when they haven't already been sitting in a warehouse for ages they can last for many weeks, if not a few months.

T L ; DR
L
;
D
R

How much is the regular price of a box like your picrelated

The cheapest option is 3 meals for 2 people and that is $60.

Show me a real non-marketing picture of what you just mentioned.

Why don't you just visit their website and see for yourself?

No

> the Midwest
> where the vegetables are literally grown
> doesn’t have vegetables

>I won't shit on Blue Apron because it got my brother interested in cooking. It's accessible if you have the cash for it. He cancelled the subscription the moment he felt competent enough to figure all this shit out for himself. Now me and him grill on his deck every week. Last week was stuffed mini bell peppers filled with a little crumbled manchego cheese, shredded mild cheddar, chopped cilantro and

Stopped reading there.