Deep frying at home

So I bought a Breville deep fryer a little under a year ago and tried it for the first time this weekend. Results were mixed: the mozzarella sticks were hard to cook (pre-frozen with frying directions; inside was not fully melted from a cheese perspective, crust on the outside was a bit overcooked) while the BBQ sauce chicken wings I did worked out perfectly today.

What are your favorite foods to fry Veeky Forums? Vegetable oil seemed to work fine for the wings but imparted a bit too much taste on the mozzarella sticks, I'm thinking of trying canola oil next.

fat fuck

My BMI is 19.8, normal is 18.5-24.9. So I'm actually well within the lower half of normal BMI.

I have serious food allergies so I virtually never get to eat fried food at restaurants due to cross contamination (eggs + seafood of all types [calamari, fish, shellfish, etc.]; either a seafood item or some item breaded in egg will inevitably end up in the fryer at restaurants). That's why I bought the fryer, to occasionally eat fried food at home.

Since I had gone through the trouble of using the oil yesterday I fried again today. And once it cools down the used oil is going in the original bottles in the trash and the fryer is being put away until I really feel the need to use it again.

deep fried beer battered bacon
also potato wedges

Those things generally suck and are only good for making fries. Too small for anything practical.

It worked great for the wings, but only because I preheated the temp to 365F before dropping the wings in (at which point the temp dropped by 100F and only recovered by 1 degree per minute in the twelve minute cooking time). I think the secret is either counting on the temperature drop from adding your food in or not using frozen food + not filling the basket completely every time you cook. I have to toy with it more.

In terms of quantities, it was great for wings, but I could see where the basket size would be limited for other items (e.g. fully sized fried chicken). Especially if you were cooking for more than two people.

You bought a $100+ deep fryer to fry frozen mozzarella sticks and BBQ wings? top kek

>deep frying frozen foods
Stick to the microwave.

I got it for less than $70 brand new on sale. I plan to try some other dishes first, but I started with stuff that I traditionally can't eat fried at restaurants (per my earlier post, )

Yeah, might be the moral of the story there. I would make homemade mozzarella sticks but I'm not aware of any way to coat them with breading that would actually work (allergic to eggs per my earlier post and binding with non-egg items is tough).

The chicken wings were not frozen.

>I have serious food allergies

Says every fucking picky eater in the world who likes to live off fried cheese

I would say KYS, but you are clearly and obese fuck and alreadying KYS

>other dishes first
meant other dishes later*
I want to try to make some homemade fried chicken next, although I have to tackle the problem of egg substitute for that. Buttermilk seems like my best bet there, but the only time I'll find out is when I try it.

Don't cut yourself on all that edge, bro.

You could have just saved some words and said you were autistic.

I don't often deep fry at home, but if I do, it wouldn't be something poured out of a bag. Those storebought cheese sticks would contain some kind of preoiled and pretoasted breadcrumbs that would allow browning if you had parked them on a baking sheet rather than frying. Try the "queso para freir" cheese in the latino section, and fry some slabs of that, and serve with a fresh cole slaw Nica style.

I can't go to a cuban restaurant without getting mariquitas. To make your own, get a nice sharp mandolin or an ordinary vegetable peeler, and to a green plantain, just make curls down the length of it. Protip: can pull off peels after sliced to save time, but they even cook up nicely too. Warm chopped garlic in olive oil and finish with a bit of lime and salt. Pour it over the plantain chips when coming out of the fryer. Hardmode is tostones.

I use a pot filled with oil, stove on high, no thermometer. I'm metal as fuck

The only premade item you might enjoy from the freezer is toasted ravioli from premade fresh ravioli or tortellini.

Leftovers plus 3 step breading = deep fried heaven

Rice + cheese and herbs = arancini
Baked ham + cracker crumbs = croquettes
Mashed potatoes + meat = papa rellena (can do bacon/cheddar too)
Meat + olives + piecrust = empanada/patties
Fruit + cornstarch + piecrust = turnover/hand pie
olives + blue cheese = stuffed olives (use olive oil)

Fried artichokes are amazing. This can even be done with frozen artichoke hearts.
Fresh mushrooms take to a beer batter well, as do leeks.
Near East falafel mix is just an add water and form balls kind of plan.
Go to farmer's market, make fresh tempura batter and dipping sauce.

Deep fry some zucchini battered in flour and add garlic with olive oil to it

He has food allergies and can't eat icky vegetables

In that case he should batter his head and stick it in the fryer

The temperature would drop by 100 and only goes up 1 degree per minute so I doubt he could hold his breath until crispy plus food allergies

I can eat veggies but I have to figure out a way to bread them without using egg. Buttermilk *might* work.

Yeah, sadly with the egg allergy pretty much all of those are out. Got a pasta maker though, so I might try making some ravioli, letting them dry a bit in the fridge overnight, and then frying them.

Thanks for the tips. I suspect you're right about the oil in the mozzarella sticks. The mariquitas sound interesting, I've never tried them but now I'm tempted.

Use flour you faggot

If I can do it with just flour that should work as a batter, yeah. Thanks for the recommendation. Trying to make a list of things to try when I decide to bust out the fryer again and the input is appreciated.

I've heard fried pickles are pretty good too. Want to try those.

You should fry in tallow. It's much better than any of that veggie oil stuff.

Deboned chicken thighs marinated throughout the night in buttermilk and whatever spices I am craving, then covered with flour and panko breadcrumbs

Also tempura and falafel are fucking delicious.

What are the options for home frying? I've done stuff like falafels in just a cast iron pot which worked pretty good, but I would be up for getting a dedicated fryer if it could handle everything I threw at it.

If you bread or batter anything from scratch, these things are useless.

They are okayish for nasty frozen shit though

not to mention super fattening
>fry in moderation user

tallow and oil have the same number of calories