Durian

Hello Veeky Forums Asian here.
Is it true westerner are more likely to find Durian repugnant instead of fragrant ?
There's also a theory saying that the strong smell reminds them of the the foulest scent they ever know.

If you're westerner, please inform me your thought on this, I'm curious.
Also if you find it repugnant, please describe what kind of smell is it according to you.
Thanks.

i'm Malaysian and i find it disgusting as well
i can tolerate the smell but the flesh is meh,jackfruit is objectively much better

Westerner here

For some fucking reason, durians smelled in open area are ok, but in tight spaces they reek and stink like crazy.

it smells like rotting trash. like the smell that hits you when you open a dumpster

Gypsies?

I am as such. I tried durian and the smell was reminiscent of petrol. Not a quality I find appealing I'm my food.

I find durian confusing. It just tastes odd but I can eat it and I can smell it. I dont prefer it but it is okay I guess. The worst thing about it is the linger aroma. It gets annoying when it sticks around.

It smells over ripe. Sickly sweet like it's improperly fermented to the point of rot.

westerner living in asia

smell is potent but not awful

I tried some in Penang and it tasted like cheese, taste was actually worse than the smell

Didn't bother me in the slightest.

I think most people think it's ok. The flavour is fine, but the smell is strong. It's a vocal minority that pipe up pretending it's the foulest thing on Earth to fit into some super cool durian hate club.

it's a fruit that actively and purposefully smells like rot. there's nothing else that needs to be said. high "quality" french cheeses smell and taste worse

It tastes like heaven

>jackfruit is objectively much better

This

This.
A mix of onions, cream cheese and custard

It smells of natural gas, I guess this bothers people, but I've never had a problem with it. They taste okay, not the greatest fruit ever, but I'll eat it. As has been said, jackfruit is much better.

do you guys find it's comparable to the taste of jackfruit? or is it just an entirely worse version of it

Completely different taste and texture. Neither is bad, but jackfruit is better.

This.
I'm also asian.

>I'm from an Asian country
>Must be Asian
Fucking racist prick.

Westerner here
foulest scent I've ever known.

I tried it once, and the taste and smell was like a mix between onions and pineapple.
It wasn't repugnant for me, but kind of weird.

oooooohhhhh herro friend, prease a to come and eat MIGHTY American micka donards, very dericious very tasty mmmmmmmmmmm

I dated a chinese girl who made me a durian cake once. I was able to eat a little but had to stop and apologize because it was too disgusting. Then she said her dad hates it and hit her for making it for him once. But she likes it I guess. She was kinda retarded

Westerner here, always liked the smell and the taste when almost nobody else did. However, I did grow up going to Asian markets from time to time so maybe I have just been used to it for my whole life. Durian never smelled like rotting garbage or anything foul; it just has a strong scent.

>smells like gasoline pineapple
>tastes like gasoline pineapple
Literally the mad Max of fruit.

American, but I lived in ASEAN countries for a few years. Durian is foul.

you are subhuman eating disgusting trash fruit. smell like the poo-poo in your nose is why you love a lot. ching ching ping pong pang

Bugs... lay off the carrots...