Anyone here try this Blue Apron shit? Is it actually any good or just a meme?

Anyone here try this Blue Apron shit? Is it actually any good or just a meme?

It's overpriced, inflexible, and you don't get to choose your own ingredients.

Three strikes, you're out.

The produce is good but far too expensive.

I'm sure you can make some fine food with that, but it's wasteful. Too expensive, too much packaging, shipping, etc.

It's really just for lazy people. If you have internet, you have access to literally millions of recipes, pick one, as simple or complicated as you'd like. Then, go to the store and buy the ingredients. WALA. I don't believe that you're "too busy."

Just had a look at the website: a meal for two is $19.98. One of the recipes this week is lentils and eggs. Lentils and fucking eggs. A dozen eggs and a pound of lentils is like $4. Only the worst kind of person would pay $20 for 3/4 cup of lentils and 2 eggs.

when i worked at fedex i always hated seeing those shittily packaged boxes fly down my chutes

DID SOMEBODY SAY BLUE APRON?

A childhood friend of mine works there I found out via Instagram. I don't like that he makes more money than me so that has colored my opinion of the service. They also advertise on a lot of podcasts.

Already a thread buddy.

>get the recipes from blue apron
>go to the store and buy everything you need
>make blue apron food only better because you get to choose your ingridients
>it costs a fraction of the blue apron box price
>you get to costumize it however you want
>there are leftover ingridients for next time you want to cook

I skip every other one because every week is just more than I want to spend and put effort into. But it's a fun thing to do with the boyfriend every other weekend and gets us to try things we maybe wouldn't normally have. More than likely we're just going to keep the recipes and start making shit on our own based on the stuff we like.

So fun but not worth doing all the time.

I like trying new recipes too, but you don't need blue apron for that.

Get a cookbook and flip to a random page. Dig up a random recipe on google. Make a list of things you want to try and roll dice, etc.

I don't but I'm also lazy and work long hours during the week. This gives me something delivered right on the weekend I can make without needing to think too much about it ahead of time.

>If you have internet, you have access to literally millions of recipes

This is what the shitty new cooks on here think. 99% of the recipes on the internet are total shit. I don't think theres ever been a good recipe on allrecipes.com for instance. Theres select places that post consistently good recipes but it takes time to find those places.

Blue Apron is good for people learning how to cook to figure out what recipes look and how to become discerning in them. Its not a service anyone should be using for more than a year, usually 6 months is good enough. If you already know how to cook its almost certainly a waste of money.

This basically. If anything it's good for teaching a lot of the basic stuff like what things to combine to make sauces and how long to cook certain things and what not. After a couple months you'll get the feel for it and can go out on your own.

>99% of the recipes on the internet are total shit.

I would agree with that, but that doesn't mean there aren't countless resources available that skip the bullshit. You can get on Youtube and have Gordon Ramsay teach you how to make Beef Wellington, Jacques Pepin can teach to you make an omelette, and so on. If you want basic instruction for a noob you've got things like America's Test Kitchen and Good Eats.

It's also a wonderful resource for learning foreign recipes. Go to google, set the language preferences to whatever nationality of recipe you want to search for, and you're set. Use google translate to read. I had a lot of trouble getting good curry recipes until I decided to try that.

Seconding the ever-living fuck out of this. Search for recipes in the language of the country that makes the food you want.

There's already a fucking shill thread of this garbage you stupid fucking viral marketing cunt

Sorry about that. Usually good at checking the catalog.

>sign up
>get 3 free boxes
>cancel immediately
>make BA shareholders cry at their 10% customer retention rate

You should try it.

>muuuuh viral marketing

Fuck off, faggot. Cunts like you are insufferable. I guess McDonald's and Monster have the best viral marketing on this site for all I know, considering I can't go a minute without seeing some McChicken or /sips/ bullshit. Sorry for dropping the name of a popularly advertized service to see if anyone on a cooking forum has had any experience with it.

That's exactly what I did. Twice

I would rather see another photo of a McChicken than this retarded waste of money "service" being vitally advertised by cocksucking faggots like you, bitch. How much do they pay you a thread? Ten cents? Or do you do it for free?

lol I love it when Veeky Forums thinks they're important enough to market to. Considering all the stupid shitposting, they deserve a board full of McDonalds.

Not OP, but it's cute when you think you're important.

Green Chef posts recipes on their website and you don't even need to be a member to view them

you right boss, a company already hemorrhaging money is going to waste more money trying to "viral market" to one of the slowest, most shitpost infested boards on an anime forum full of NEETS who eat tendies and frozen pizzas every day. We're the real untapped market for a $60 a week service.

Anything they sell, you can do it yourself for a fraction of the price.

To answer your question OP, I haven't tried it, but it seems like a convenience thing more than anything else. You could probably get a better deal by just buying the stuff and looking up the recipe, but I can see why someone with money that wants to branch out in their cooking would like having all the stuff delivered in a box with instructions.

Isn't buying ingredients on your own fast and easy but doing stuff with them the time consuming part? Couldn't you pay too much at the bougie stores and still save money compared to this service while making what you actually want?

prove it fag