Flu fuuds

Gimme some good foods to enjoy with a flu, or a hurting throat.
I ate some finnish Peasoup yesterday, wondering what I should make for the rest of the week.

I know chicken broth is THE flu food, but wondering if there's any foods that feel good to eat when you have a flu. Non-soups would be appreciated.

Sorbets are nice and soothe sore throats. An old-timey remedy for a cough and/or stuffy nose is a shot of moonshine or vodka with lemon juice, honey, and cayenne pepper mixed in.

I cut up some slices of ginger and boil it in a pot for a little while, then turn off the heat and add some lemon slices/juice and honey.

I also recommend masala chai, but if you get phlegm-y either have no milk or drink it with soy.

Broth soups are best though. have good toasted bread.

You got the shits too? There's some splatter in your poosoup.

I'm assuming you mean the brown-ish stuff, well that's mustard.

black tea with lemon and honey

Jewish penicillin

Zinc lozenges at the first sign of infection. Seriously, they actually work.

My go-to is rice congee. I usually boil the rice with a slice of ginger and serve it with shredded chicken, fish sauce to taste, and cilanto and green onions . If no chicken, then dried pork (the kind sold at Asian grocery stores).

How long is 'a while'? 15 minutes? An hour?

Here's a good recipe if you want to make your own cough drops

2 tbs cinnamon
1 tbs ground cloves
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp ground sage
1 cup honey
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
Powdered sugar

Warm the vinegar in a saucepan on medium heat and add herbs and spices, add honey and bring to a boil. Heat oven to 300, spoon drops the size of a quarter onto parchment-lined baking sheet. Allow to cool, optional: toss with powdered sugar to keep them from sticking.

If my cough is really bad (like bronchitis bad) I'll take a couple teaspoons of marshmallow root, grind it really fine in a mortar and pestle and add that as well.

Not OP, but that's interesting, albeit complicated imo. I usually find a tea made of cayenne, honey, ginger, and lemon sufficient for a sore throat.
Tastes bretty nasty tho.

Lots of hydration - basically treat anything where you're expelling anything as a potential hangover. You'll want salt, water, and flavour (should it come up, not that a cold really has much potential for that).

Soups are great... generally they make sense seasonally - Autumn and Winter generally mean colds, flu's, and root vegetables.

I'm partial to chicken-leek, pork-leek, Pho, and French Onion when I've got a cold. Lots of alliates, usually some spice, and basically the ingredients for a half-decent bitters when it comes to the Pho.

Stews are also great - basically for the same reasons. Curries, meatpies, Porkolt... it's all soft, salty, hydrating goodness.

Seconded

I almost always have that stuff on hand except for the marshmallow root, when I'm stuck at home feeling like shit and I don't feel like driving out to the store to buy cough drops it's a good way to pass the time.

you'll know when you know

The thing is there isn't really any solid form flu foods that don't have sugar in it and cause you to cough even more.

Your stomach doesn't feel well so you're best off with just liquids that way youj can still try and get nutrients while avoiding projectile vomiting from trying to eat solids.

Good flu foods are things like jello, soups (such as chicken noodle, tomato, cream of mushroom, pea soup and egg drop which is god tier), sorbet, and really not much else desu

I really really really like gogel mogel.

Great googly moogly?

OP here, glad to see some solid replies.
Yesterday I went and bought some honey, cinnamon(powder) and a fresh lemon. Boiled some water and poured it over a lemon slice, sprinkled cinnamon to make it smell good, and then mixed in a spoonful of honey. It's pretty tasty, thinking of making it into a larger portion of hot water later so it lasts longer, feels pretty nasty afterwards with what i've been doing so far.

I usually just do chicken soup with shitton of chili, garlic and ginger
The chili to get the muckus running and garlig & ginger for the supposed health benefits, though I guess if you are sick already it's kinda late for that but whatever

anything with chili and/or ginger

Instant noodles and misery. I really like the Tom Yum flavor - sharp, spicy, makes the snot flow.