Is this a good pot?

Some what new to cooking (been cooking for about two months now).

I have a good all clad skillet and I am looking for a stock pot as I cook a lot of soups/pasta etc.

Found this at a thrift store for $100 and it looks in good condition.

This one says William Sonoma Made in France, I know the Mauviel are good cookware, is that same quality or inferior? This is supposedly made by Mauviel for William Sonoma

Bit confused though what's the difference between the pots that are stamped "William Sonoma Made in France" versus the ones that say "Mauviel Made in France"?
And the size is 6qt, is that big enough for my needs?
I know there are bigger stock pots with longer walls, but I usually like cooking once a day and eating it throughout the day, that's why I prefer soups because of the variety of ingredients

If you want a stock pot you want it to be big. Big enough to hold 3 chicken carcasses at least.

$100 is meh price for that. It's not bad or anything, but it's not some fantastic steal either.

I've seen larger pots with thicker walls go for less.

Originally the difference between Mauviel and WS Mauviel was traditional tin lining vs Stainless lining, and traditional cast iron handle vs stainless or bronze handles.

However modern Mauviel has moved to stainless lining and no longer uses tin, and they've stopped producing most of their cast iron handles as well and instead use a stainless steel handle that has been electroplated with iron.

6 quarts is very small for stock pot.
You want 15 quarts so that you never worry about volume.

Get a regular steel 15 quart pot and you'll be much happier.
I paid around 40 bucks for mine like 5ish years ago
Never let me down

mauviel has made some great stuff for williams sonoma, and some not so great stuff

for a stock pot it's probably going to be full of liquid at most times so even the less great stuff is going to be pretty good by $100 stock pot standards

just make sure it's stainless lined and not tinned

tin is a high strung bitch and costs real money to fix when it wears out

>tin is a high strung bitch and costs real money to fix when it wears out

you're telling me, i've got 10-12 pieces of copper in my collection that need to be retinned at this point. I've been putting it off for awhile since i've got plenty of stainless lined copper i can use but now it's getting to the point where i'm not sure i can even afford to get them all re-tinned at once.

Explain
I've never had copper pots before

Older vintage copper used tin to line the interior of the pots and pans. Tin however is not a very stable metal to use for this and will eventually wear off with use which requires you to get them retinned eventually (depends how much it's used and what it's used for).

The cost can be fairly expensive, about $5 per square inch of surface area on the interior. So a stock pot that size could run ~$75-100 just for retinning.

Why not cook bare on the copper?

copper is toxic

Oh
Well that's a problem

Why ever buy tin coated copper?

Normies buy it thinking it makes a difference in their cooking. Just looks.

Because it was easier to manufacture by hand because tin is far more workable than stainless steel.

However with modern machining, most copper these days is sold with a stainless lining. Though some higher end pieces will still come tinned.

Super high end copper will have pure silver electroplated to the interior. Silver being naturally antimicrobial and an even better thermal conductor than the copper itself, is by far the best metal you could use. But the price usually keeps people away.

For example, an 11" skillet with stainless lining will generally run you $250-500 depending where you're getting it from and the thickness. An 11" copper skillet with a silver lining would run you ~$1000.

OP again

It is stainless steel

I do think 6qt is a bit small, but I don't want to get into 15 qt size. I share an apartment with friends, so I don't have the room and also it's just me cooking (and eating) and I don't like left overs going more than a day or so.

Probably would prefer an 8qt -9 qt but I don't think I can find a deal on those.

This measures 10 inches diameter and 5.5 inches height without the lid.

Know more about frying pans/skillets, where 12inch is good for any family, 10 inches is great if cooking for 1-2 people and 8 inch is pretty useless lol.

Basically was asking is this 6qt was like an 8 inch frying pan where it's only good for eggs or can I actually cook quite a bit with it

(ps) i think this is a stew pot/dutch over, not a stock pot

>8 inch is pretty useless lol.
8" is the bachelors skillet.

I got a similar William Sonoma pot (oval shaped and not as deep) for $12 at a yard sale a few weeks ago.
No lid sadly

this is what poorfags actually believe

what do you expect when a single pot can cost more than they spend on groceries in 3 months?

the bigger issue is that you share an apartment with friends

I guarantee you they'll ruin that nice pot

based on your stated habits that stock pot is otherwise perfect for your needs. I'm not sure you understand how big 8 or 9 quarts is

>An 11" copper skillet with a silver lining would run you ~$1000
Have a link? I want to feast my eyes

they don't look much different from tin lined. google soy turkiye