How many times do you wash your rice before setting it on the cooker? I make sure the water is clear every time

How many times do you wash your rice before setting it on the cooker? I make sure the water is clear every time.

Pic related is the water after one rinse.

I run it under running water for a few minutes until the water is at least 90% clear.

After 5

I'm chinese and I wash rice 3 times.
Who cares how murky it is?

I literally never rinse my rice

Fuck

>I'm chink
>Who cares how murky it is?
I guess mêmes are true after all

i rinse my rice hourly with a cool brine solution starting about 16 hours before i cook

After 10

I'm Filipino, and my mom taught me to rinse my rice 10-15 times before cooking it, because she knows how dirty it can be.

3 times, as was taught to me in Korea

>flip
Even worse but good adobo I guess

I hope by >dirty you mean covered in starch

>good adobo
t-thanks, but Sinigang is way better

I don't wash my rice at all, fight me.

Savage.

Rice cooker protip: If you want the teflon to last longer, wash the rice in a separate container and pour it back in.

It depends on the grains.

I wash my Japanese rice 3-5 times.

I only rinse my jasmin.

Why would you rinse it? That shit is gonna be boiled anyways

Starch won't boil away user-kun

If we rinse away the starch then that would mean it would have less carbs right?

if you soak the rice for six hours, the rice becomes carb free

>rinse away the starch
The starch is bound to the glucose molecules in the rice. Only way to get rid of it is to boil it.

Oh so it IS 100% raw chemicals as I suspected.

One day Americans will learn to google the chemicals in their food.

What kind of rice are you buying that makes it that cloudy? I don't rinse rice at all and the water is always somewhere between your after 5 and after 10 pictures.

agitate the rice when its in the water with your hands and watch how cloudy it becomes.

a rice cooker is 30 bucks..... no biggie

I stir it with a spoon when I pour it in and I observe it occasionally while it is cooking, I would think any cloudiness would be apparent.

>Americans still don't realize cameochemicals, a government lab, manufactures the chemicals that are added to all US wheat products by law, bought with your tax dollars and the money goes right back to the government with profit

That's what the cloudy water, over boiling and terrible taste are about.

I mean seriously read the fucking ingredients and if it says more than "rice," it's shit.

are you retarded?

I'm buying rice from H-mart, It's got chink letters on it and the only ingredient listed is milled rice.

Shirakiku Koshihikari, can get a 15lbs bag for about $30.

Lasts me 3 months.

Too bad China has the same enrichment program we do but not the same labelling requirements.

Enjoy your tasty chemicals. Raw untainted rice does not turn the water you boil in back into a swamp.

>China
H-mart is korean

>no one company can hide ingredients

>own drinks
>"natural and artificial flavorings"

>own shampoo
>"perfume"

>own bread
>"chemical leaveners added"

No, Korea wouldn't do something like this.

The rice is from the US, even says on it it's from california.

>california
>US

That means that it is enriched by law if the manufacturer produced over X tons. The only way you get around that is to make small batches, which does not happen, so congrats we have another company skimping on labelling requirements with almost no fda oversight.

I assure you it's enriched if the water turns white. The circlejerk is complete.

it's usually just rice flower or starch.

You can go to japan and buy any sort of premium rice and you'll get cloudy water, that's just how rice is unless you're getting some boxed shit that's been prewashed and dried for a box dinner.

I live in a first world country so I don't rinse it at all

I used to wash Nishiki rice but the water barely clouded so now I don't bother

do you guys save the water you use for washing the rice in a different pot and then use it to water your plants?

>dumping chemicals on your plants

And you intend to eat them? Those are synthetic versions of the chemicals, they will not be accepted as natural to the plant and will kill it to death.

I was a poor white kid in a Cambodian ghetto. I will never forget the moms saying rinse very well three times.

Washing is to remove starch you dumb nigger. What's plain water gonna do to germs? And why do you think the water goes cloudy white when you wash it if the starch doesnt come off like you say?

Why do you have to rinse the starch

Guys imagine rats, bugs and dirt sitting on your rice. Because that's what happens when it gets cultivated and sitting on that huge bin before getting packaged.

Always wash your rice.

Never, I like to live dangerously.

>What's plain water gonna do to germs
more like bugs that got into the rice and then died
or literal dirt

According to the people who see how rice is stored and handled, that is a bad idea.

So your rice doesn't stick

How did you end up living in Cambodia?

No, but it's a common practice among Asian countries to keep the water as a facial toner or hair rinse.

My folks would occasionally water plants with the water first used to rinse veggies and fruits with.

Wait, you're supposed to wash rice? I've been eating rice every day for 3 years and never once washed it.

That's why you boil it, you can lug a snot in the water, the heat will kill it.

What's a somewhat affordable rice cooker, that can be bought in the EU?

Starch in my rice? You don't say!

Now you've rinsed off the 5 vitamins and minerals the government requires to be added to polished white rice.

FYI, when removing insects from rice, you don't rinse it, you just submerge the rice in the pot then skim the insects off the top. Stir gently and repeat until there's no more insects. Though, most people don't know that since most of the rice in the 1st world doesn't have insects in it since plastic became a thing. Back in the 1970s you had to float the stuff out of it every time because there'd always be something.

just dump all the rice in the garbage, and all the carbs are gone

I run water over it in a sieve for about a minute, however many washes that is -- idk

>washing something you're about to boil

>not washing off impurities and starches
>just letting it get absorbed by the rice during boiling

???

Rice is 90% starch you retard might as well throw it in the trash if you don't want muh starches

You wash rice mainly to remove some starch and some producers put lime in it for unknown reason

When I'm preparing basamati I wash it just two or three times. Then I leave it in the salted water for at least 6 hours and drain it just before boiling it.

How do I wash rice? Do I need a bowl with holes or something? I am very poor and my kitchen has the absolute minimum appliances (pan, saucepan, wooden spoon)

You're supposed to wash your rice?

I just wash it in the cooking pot. Fill it up with water to the top, swish it around with your hand a bit, pour it out slowly so the rice stays in the pot but the water runs out. Repeat a few times.

I don't :^)

Yep. Gets rid of the talc from the polishing process and also gets rid of the starch powder generated while the rice bounces around during transport.

Plus, haven't you seen any classic Kung-Fu movies? It's a pretty common scene for the protagonist to build up their strength by doing tasks like washing gigantic pots of rice.

Yeah this.

Keep doing it until the water is clear.

You might spill some kernels down the drain, but that's the price of doing business.

None, because I use basmati since I'm not a fucking retard

Soak it for 10 if I want to cook it a little shorter, at most. Rinsing is for long grain enriched-eating apes

Rinsing is for any rice that's been polished (aka had the husk removed if you don't know what rice polishing means). That includes basmati. Doesn't matter if it's long, short, or glutinous rice. If the rice was polished you fucking rinse it.

i only wash it a bit as i'm a fan of the starchiness

When making steamed white rice I do. I don't when I make stuff like risotto or paella.

Meh, 2 or 3 times. You don't need to wash off all the starch, just the dust and dirt.

Ok, this looks easy enough for me. Tomorrow I'll cook rice for the first time in my life.

Before I use salt I put it under the sink and run some nice hot water over it. It removes all the sodium

you are all wasting water and washing off the vitamins added to make it somewhat nutritious. plebs

I don't care about the nutrition in the rice since I eat a well balanced diet anyway.

I do, however, care about the sticky starchy sludge that results from not rinsing your rice.

Flip food is delish minus a few thinks. Oxe tail in peanut sauce please

Rinsing rice isn't to remove dirt or clean it and it isn't to remove government chemicals.
The cloudiness in the water comes from loose starch / powdered rice.
It doesn't remove all the starch / carbs from rice. It's just a little bit of loose starch.
You don't have to rinse rice. It's perfectly fine and safe to cook it without rinsing, but normally it will end up kind of sludgy. The purpose of rinsing rice is to make it less sludgy / sticky. You can rinse it more or less to change how it turns out
I normally use Thai jasmine rice and I rinse it just a couple times and it maintains a bit of stickiness without being sludgy.
If you want drier rice / non-sticky rice, which is probably what you want for fried rice, then it's better to rinse it more times until the water is 100% clear. It's just preference though.

Maybe I'll buy that rice washing bowl after all.

kek, accurate though what to do these retards think rice is

youre also rinsing out the added nutrients that give rice at least a little nutritional content

uhh im pretty sure rinsing removes a whole lot of the added nutrients(niacin, thiamin, and folate)

Three is good for me. Put it in a strainer, fill a pot with cold water, and use a whisk to beat the shit out of the rice for several minutes. Discard the water (unless I want to use the starchy water to thicken something I'm cooking), and repeat two more times.

That only applies with fortified rice.

Ordered this the other day. Hope it's worth the weight.

Fucking weirdos. The joy of rice is that you just pour it more or less 2:1 in a pot with some spice mix, spin the knob and leave it be for however long it takes your stove.

Don't do it user. You can use any mixing bowl or even tupperware to wash rice instead of buying a big monotasker.

I only cook shortgrain brown rice so I don't rinse it at all. It at least has a nutty flavor instead of tasting like chalk.

Wash it til the water looks clean

I usually leave the rice in water for 2-3 minutes stirring it once or twice. Then I empty the cloudy water and rinse twice.

I often have tiny bugs in my rice bags (shitty 3d world apartment , no matter what I do they come back), so I take time to remove them all + the dirt when they float to the surface.

this is the only valid sinigang

I wash my superior nippon gohan 1000 times before cooking it in my ancestral gohan cooker

Are these bugs little moths that leave larvae on your food? Because I had those. I threw away everything that had bugs on it, blasted the pantry with bug spray, let it air out overnight, and now I store every single thing in glass jars, never had a bug problem ever again.

>wash starches off rice
you can stop pretending

fuck yes

Wrong

Does agitated rice go well with activated almonds?

I'm from Guam and at least 3 times. CND fold it once during cooking.

Fuck that's horrid imagery. Not hungry anymore.