Scams

Scams.

Tomatoes aren't native to Italy. How did you fall for this?

why is that a scam?

I accidentally bought this thinking it was San Marzano.

Why is it bad?

four times the cost of store brand canned tomatoes with no discernible difference in taste.

Wait, it is San Marzano? I have two of these sitting in my cabinet but they don't say San Marzano like in OP? Same can otherwise. Confusing.

I mean, it seems like there's consensus, which is rare in the cooking world. I have literally never not seen a cook recommend San Marzano.

It's a meme.

Some memes are true. Like stereotypes.

Some memes are false. Like car analogies.

Biggest difference between canned varieties is whether they're packed in puree or juice, and how much salt. More expensive are generally puree.

It's not.

meme

noun

1. an element of a culture or system of behaviour passed from one individual to another by imitation or other non-genetic means.
2. an image, video, piece of text, etc., typically humorous in nature, that is copied and spread rapidly by Internet users, often with slight variations.

But Chef John recommended them

chef john is a shill

he literally got paid to advertise some fucking potato powder a while back

I tried the San Marzano stuff once because a recipe specifically demanded that I use them OR ELSE THEY'D HUNT ME DOWN AND KILL MY DOG. I prefer good ol' Contadina, I think the flavor is better. Hunt's kinda sucks, and store-brand stuff is usually watered down.

>openly admit to double dipping ad revenue by only posting the written recipe on his mommy-blog
He's a true patrician

I usually use Mutti Polpa crushed tomatoes and the Muttis San Marzanos at least are considerably better tasting
And the mutti crushed tomatoes are fucking great to begin with but I still buy the Marzanos occasionally

How are they a scam?

Even if you think they don't taste any better than store brand tomatoes (they do), they're only slightly more expensive than the store brands.

They taste better than any of the garbage canned tomatoes on US grocery shelves but you have to decide for yourself if they taste better enough to warrant paying more. They are better quality due to the variety of the tomato and the volcanic soil in which they are grown. However, they don't taste as good as my organic homegrown, picked at the peak of freshness, and home canned. Eat your tomato lovin' hearts out, plebes.

What the fuck? I picked Cento brand crushed tomatoes and tomato paste because it was a dollar cheaper than the generic store brand.

This is gonna sound like bullshit but I bought the Cento "certified" san marzano tomatoes and the actual DOP ones and I thought the fake tomatoes made just a bit better pizza sauce. They're both very good though, san marzanos are the perfect tomatoes.

I believe you. I tried the DOP ones next to the Cento but the Cento ones were better. Maybe other DOP cans are better who knows. This was a store in Indiana.

are you confident in the sodium content of contadina?

>Some memes are true. Like stereotypes.
Shit edgelords

t. butthurt subhuman

If I'm going to use a canned tomatoes, it's probably going to be Red Gold (Indiana fag).

>four times the cost of store brand
What you're paying for is that those tomatoes are San Marzano tomatoes from Italy. It's a specific product imported from a specific region. And you're nowhere near that region, so you pay a premium for it. That's it.
>no discernible difference in taste.
Just because a product is from a specific place doesn't make it better or worse than any other product. The point is that these are the tomatoes traditionally used in Southern Italian cuisine, and if that's what you're making you might consider using them. But if value is your priority imported products are usually less of a value than domestic ones.

Ingredients in tomato sauce should read
:tomatos
and nothing else
imo