Salt

I know himalayan pink salt is a "meme", but is it (or any others like Persian blue salt, red Hawaiian salt etc) actually useful in the kitchen?

I currently only have basic table salt and coarse sea salt.

Other urls found in this thread:

seasalt.com/bamboo-gourmet-salt-sampler-artisan.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw8vnMBRDgARIsACm_BhKzFI4N2dgIgOjj6oQ9QNYw1H54oiYMDp75CpNzEG6yBPSBUlaXTgYaAibdEALw_wcB
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Kosher all day.

Google all day.

no

yes

It's just fucking salt, the colors come from minerals and other shit present in the salt. You can use it however the fuck you want, it's just salt. Make a steak, boil some pasta or rub oyur butthole with it, gonna be the same shit as regular salt.

Salt is salt. The only real difference is the absorption rate, which is only dependant on the size of the salt. And size also changes how much you're putting in if you're using volume measurements like teaspoon and tablespoon. Sure there's a VERY small difference in taste but most people can't tell the difference. You need a very sensitive tongue and a varied pallette to discern the difference.

>not being able to tell the difference between alaea, black lava salt, and pink salt

t. salt plebs

Unless the salt is flaked rather than a sandy texture like in the picture, you really wont notice a difference.

Try pink flaked salt, its good for finishing dishes, rather than to season something mid cook.

this
kosher salt is basically ideal

It's a meme hands down. Tried some because sister in law bought as a gift for wife.

We used it because salt is salt. Enjoy paying $9 for something that costs $1 to be a trendy hipster.

Seriously, just use Maldon for finishing and kosher for everything else

Why not Halen Môn instead of Maldon?

PHS Master Race

Anyone who says "salt is salt" has no clue what they are talking about and most likely eats a shit load of heavily salted processed foods and/or smokes.

go on, explain you point, saying it's better because it's better is just being a dumbfuck

no

>Angry Sea Salt
Wut

The sea was angry that day my friends

Himalayan Pink salt is actually very good because it has 84 trace minerals in it, so youre getting less than sodium when using it as well as the fact that you need less. I use it as a staple but also try to find it cheap and in bulk at a health food store. I charge $3.99/lb for it at my place of business in bulk vs $7.99 for an 8oz jar. If for no other reason, its very tasty and you should use it for that, but make sure its more pink than white. Also dont fall for Organic salt because salt is a mineral and the USDA doesnt regulate minerals. So you'll end up paying more money for the same thing

Black salt has a unique taste and sulphur smell.

>"wife"

Pacific Blue, Yakima, Hiwa Kai and Sel Gris are all interesting salts to work with and have unique flavors. Actually I think there's some little starter pack you can buy that contains most of them...let me Google that shit...

seasalt.com/bamboo-gourmet-salt-sampler-artisan.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw8vnMBRDgARIsACm_BhKzFI4N2dgIgOjj6oQ9QNYw1H54oiYMDp75CpNzEG6yBPSBUlaXTgYaAibdEALw_wcB

Yep. Also just a note, Hiwa Kai if you motor it or grind it, is great for BBQ. In the link I've only used like maybe 5 or 6 similar salts but they can change a profile depending on how you use it.

white

They're useful as salt.

They're also useful as a table dressing (want salt? Let me upsell you on the pink stuff!), and if you want a tiny bit of colour to finish up a dish (only works when coarse). Other than that, if you're using enough to reap any health benefits from the impurities, you're probably pushing the limits of your sodium intake.

I got some of this stuff in Nepal. Was like .50 cents for a big chunk.

But I have no idea what to use it for and it's just sat around since I bought it.

>santoku at work
>plastic buttons
dude...

Meme does not mean "things I don't like".

Flaked salt is pretty great. Buy a bottle of Fleur de Sel, which is one of the fanciest salts out there. Then refill it with cheap flaked salt after you've used it all.