Found this pyrex pot

Found this pyrex pot.
What do you guys think about glass stovetop cookware?

seems like a really really bad idea but ive never cooked with glassware sooo

Prolly good for cooking meth
Prolly not great for thermal conductivity

b-b-but you get to see what you're cooking.
OP. Go get some crayfish, you'll know what to do.

I have a antique Pyrex double boiler. It is pretty great. Pre-1990s Pyrex is the best, unless you can score some lab glass Pyrex.

how does that work?

you stick your dick in it and WA LA

...i.its a pot.
It works.. like a pot.

>pyrex
cant use it on the stovetop, it'll shatter into a million pieces trying to boil something, does okay in the oven, just don't put direct flame on it for long periods.

same here, I have the one where the handles snap on or off so you can put the pot part in the microwave

Ah, thanks for the heads up.

> Pre-1990s Pyrex is the best

this, the new stuff is shit and will shatter much more easy I've been told

So if i cant use this on the stove what the fuck can i do with it? It only cost me $1.50 so its really no loss.
Also, I have one of pic related and ive used it on the stove more than a few times to make soup.

this is what I was curious about

yikes
pyrex splodes on stovetop

I may just take off the handle and use it as a baking dish. Its an odd shape for baking though. Not sure what id make in it.

Fun fact! They changed the formula to make it cheaper when they bought out the original company. Old pyrex has a capital P. New pyrex is only lower case, illegal for them to use the P because of the different formula, if you want an easy way to

This one is all caps

I just facepalmed and realized i could look up the searial number. Turns out it it the top part of a double boiler so yeah. I definitely cant use it on the stove and probably not in the oven. Im just going to take off the handle and use it as a flour or sugar container.

Anything you'd make in a slow cooker, chili, beef stew, soups...stuff like that. Just be sure to have some solid oven mitts because that shit is going to be hot as balls.

It's not "make it cheaper". The new stuff is actually more costly to produce. It has a different safety benefit.

The original "Pyrex" was brorosilicate glass. This glass has very little thermal expansion so it can withstand rapid temperature changes like going from a hot place to a cool place (or vice versa) with minimal risk of shattering. You can identify this glass because when you look at the edge of a piece it's clear in color.

The new stuff they switched to is tempered soda-lime glass. This kind of glass does not have the same thermal shock resistance as the original. However, it does have a different advantage: if it does break (for whatever reason), it makes tiny little bits like a car window. That's a lot safer than the large daggerlike shards you get from breaking borosilicate glass. You can tell soda-lime glass because when you look at the edge it has a blueish-greenish tint to it.

Look at this pic. Top is soda-lime glass. Bottom is borosilicate.

Personally I prefer the original. But apparently the liability lawyers decided that there was less liability risk with the tempered glass.

Note to self. Buy more flour.

Thanks for stopping by pyrex.

couch looks awesome. post a pic?

Cook crack in it

Pyrex smokin lookin like its fog yeaaaaaaa

I was of the understanding that the process to produce borosilicate glass required a higher temperature compared to soda lime, and use a lower temperature to produce means cheaper to manufacturer. This may have changed since I had learned about this.

That's only part of the picture. You also have to account for the separate tempering step that is applied to the current glass but not the original.

you absolutely can you that on the stovetop, it's visionware

Sure thing bro. Couch sucks though. Im glad its not mine.

>I have a antique Pyrex double boiler.
OP has half of one

>I definitely cant use it on the stove and probably not in the oven.
it's the same material, you absolutely can use it on the stovetop and in the oven.

that's not pyrex, go away

>>pyrex
>cant use it on the stovetop
unless it's flameware, like op's or visionware like or a few other things. some of them need a little protection, like a grate, if you've got a shitty electric range, but a good electric range or open flame is fine.

Its the same pot in the op and it is pyrex.

looks beautiful!

The pot in the op has a pic of fire on the bottom under the PYREX. Does that mean its flameware? Does that mean its safe for the stove?

Oh duh. You said that one was flameware. Sorry for drunk posting.

I have not once heard of glass pyrex cooking utensils
I have a couple but they are for storing hot food, not cooking it

why did you steal it, asshole

There is even one scene in Breaking Bad where Skylar is cooking (food) in a pyrex pot.