Keto Meme Thread

Who /keto/ here?
I need inspiration.

Other urls found in this thread:

cronometer.com/
youtu.be/MzHLAqyO7PQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

do not go to leddit for inspiration, they don't understand the diet.

if you're fat, eat protein and fiber. if you eat a ton of fat, you'll never lose any weight. the point of keto is to force your body to use its fat storages for weight loss. that's why when you go to leddit they're all still 200 lbs after years of killing their bodies with keto

Oh i know the diet, i've been on it for over a year now, lost a ton of weight.

I mean i need inspiration for cool new shit to cook.

I'm looking to get into Keto. I'm 270 pounds and I'm miserable. Can some of you help me out and tell me how to get everything set in motion? I'd really appreciate it a lot.

so, keto is good if you exercise frequently?

Here to help,

do not eat more than 50-80g of carbs a day.

use Cron-o-meter cronometer.com/ to calculate how much you eat.

You'll get keto flu, it feels like you are getting sick and will be weakly for 4-5 days, craving shit like sweets, bread, pizza. After that your body will adapt to burning fat and you'll feel better, you'll still crave shit like sweets and bread, but with days passed less and less.

Your shit will become oily due to fat that you eat at the beginning, will take time when your digestion adapts.

The first week will be hard, no matter how much eggs, meat, vegetables and fat you eat, you'll feel hungry. When that kicks in, eat some fruit it will help.

You can also eat sweets, but as said not over 50-80g carbs a day. One m&m's plain 48g package is what I have a day if I need the energy, that's like 34g of carbs.

and for all those saying it doesn't work.

It does, but it is hard as hell in our carbohydrate based diet to adapt to it.

Keto is pure faggotry, but I'd go to a local "gourmet" place and get some italian cold cuts like mortadella, culatello prosciutto, genoa and finocchiona salamis, and some dank cheese--makes a fantastic lunch. I put it on bread with a bit of aioli, but since you're a fag, you have to roll it up in layers like an autist lmao.

I think I want to try this as well.. I am a good 25+ pounds over weight and need to make some changes. Just starting to do research about it now.

85-90% chocolate would be another thing, one 100g bar is like 20g carbs total, and you'll rarely eat more than two segments(~4g), I have one that I've kept for about two weeks now.

Of course, you won't want bread, but sometimes you might need something to put your cheese or ham on or just get texture, in that case crackers are usually low on carbs (aswell as basically everything else) but you could probably get a decent amount of spreads on there. while the crackers themselves are fairly friendly to your carb limit (2-3 grams each). Still, read the nutrition labels and make sure your items have a good ratio, that 1g/100g carb thing still aint shit if the other macronutrients also only have 1g/100g.

Walnuts are high in fat and protein while having a low carb count (8g/100), those are some things I can think of for no prep foods.

Look up how to prepare different cuts of meat if you don't already know how to do so. Remember to get your salts and check the nutritional contents of your spices if you use a massive amount of them for whatever reasons.

There's some net carb shit that I think is clap exclusive because you include dietary fiber.

Shit man, if that's your state then you've just found the holy grail.

First off - read this and accept it completely.
You no longer eat carbs.
Sugar, Pasta, Rice, Potatoes, Root veg, Beer, Soda, Juice. You're done, it's over.

Meat, lean non-starchy veg, oils, butter (real butter, not the shit that comes in a plastic tub), full-fat dairy and seeds/nuts are your new diet.

If you can do exercise on top of this too, the fat will melt off you.

If you want to eat something and you aren't sure, google "[whatever it is you want] Carbs" and 99% of the time it will tell you the carbs per 100g - do not go over 30-40g of carbs a day.

How does it not send you into a hopeless spiral of depression? You're not allowed to have ANYTHING that has a comventionally pleasant taste to it, let alone any taste at all.

You can have things, you just have to be concious about your carb intake. Have self-control and don't overindulge.

Not much to choose besides greens, chicken and spices?

When you're in it, your tastebuds change.

Suddenly meat, fat, things like that - they taste amazing, like primally amazing.
And suddenly stodgy food like bread, potatoes, things like that taste like nothing and are a chore to eat, and sugary stuff just tastes pointless.

Which is why this diet is a terrible idea to lower yourself into slowly - you've got to dive in and you get these benefits.

you should exercise regardless of what your eating

Why would I do this diet instead of just dropping to less calories per day? You can eat whatever you want just eat less and exercise more, even if you just walk.

Because most people are gluttonous retards and don't want to get out of their chair or put down the fork.

I went from 320 lbs to 260 in about a year by eating only 1000 calories a day. I ate the same food all the time. Every lunch was meal replacement drink and pudding (500 calories) and every dinner was a salad. I only drank water and diet soda. No exercise. I hit the wall at 260 and started starving myself but as life goes I get stressed and turn back to food cuz it's all I have. I've been as low as 240 but in January I was 280. Back down to 255 today but I am looking towards Keto to change things up.

Anyway it's pretty easy buddy. Good Luck.

I did keto for a week and got good results but the whole "no carbs or you fall out keto" caused binge periods so I think I'll just stick to IF at a caloric deficit instead.

I basically just make a meat sauce and use summer squash and mushrooms and shit for the pasta. Either that or steak and vegetables with stinky cheese on the steak. But I used to be more into it:

Chile Colorado
Gumbo (carbalose roux)
Bolognese like I said or
Marinara & meatballs (carbalose) and veg
Tom Kha Gai
Chicken Cacciatore
Pic related kabobs
Stuffed mushrooms
Tacos (Mission carb balance)

Yeah you're right. This chicken crust pizza has no taste at all. Keto sucks

And these wings also have zero taste at all

I wish you keto would allow tasty foods. It sucks

Wtf I hate keto now

Because losing weight is not just a case of less intake.

Your body is extremely complex and its desire to hold onto fat is directly related to insulin levels.
If insulin is too high, or spiking irregularly your body will lower its consumption of its own fat and instead look to lower your capacity to draw energy (i.e. if you cut down to 1500cal a day from your 2500 maintenance level, your body will slowly but surely make 1500 your new maintenance level, and you'll stop losing fat)

Damn this restrictive keto diet!

Been doing it for years for better blood sugar control of my type 1 diabetes. My current favorite snack is baked cheese.

Slice or shred a sharp cheddar, lay on parchment on a cookie sheet and bake at 250-300 F until lacy in texture crispy upon cooling. After cooling, break into pieces like you would a brittle or hard toffee. Immensely rich and cheesy taste. Hard to eat more than a small handful.

80% of my calorie intake is carbs yet I'm a lean 150 lb at 6 feet

Type 1 again. I cannot stress enough how important it is to actually be in a state of dietary ketosis whilst eating a ketogenic diet, You need to buy urine ketone test strips to be sure. Otherwise, in a state of metabolic glycolysis, all these fat calories + the higher insulin levels will make you stall or gain weight. It's science, not magic.

>everything covered in grease
you are what's wrong with ketofags. that's like 600 calories and probably your smallest portion of the day. your body will spend all day burning off that fat instead of burning fat storages

And, yes, you still need to stay at or under your TDEE. You will not feel strong hunger cravings as you did before, though. When or how much to eat will be more of an intellectual decision rather than a hormonal one in this metabolic pathway.

>he doesn't know how keto works

2 years ago I did keto for about 9 months. I did a very strict keto diet, measuring every single thing I ate and recording it on myfitnesspal. In 3 months I lost over 20 pounds. After that I got a bit bored and did some eyeballing and for 6 months didn't lose any more weight but at the same time didn't put any more on. I loved keto and if not for my current lifestyle I would go back to it. In the last few years I started traveling around the world and it's pretty much impossible to do this diet without doing all your cooking at home and I love eating out trying different cuisines. I'm now doing fasting and see how this goes, would like to drop about 30lbs.

Just start using myfitnesspal and buy yourself a scale. Measure everything and treat it like a game. Read about all the different recipes you can do that are carbless and start getting creative in the kitchen. Buy almond flour and chicharron, they let me survive the experience. This is a diet that lets you snack, I ate pepperoni sticks and pork skin as snacks almost every day.

Yes, although as with many restrictive diets you might have trouble in the beginning. There are many athletes out there doing keto though, read up on it.

You need to eat fat in keto, what the fuck you on about?

You don't know how keto works. Why would you consume a ridiculous amount of fat when you're overweight?

When you're fat, you eat >20 carbs, moderate fat, and moderate protein. You don't start eating 100+g of fat as a replacement for all the carbs you eat. Your body will just burn those instead of your fat storage.

The point is that your body begins to run on fat rather than carbs, and eating too much fat is the same as eating carbs since you're not using up your own fat storage.

This. Pretty much your macros should not exceed a 500 cal. Deficit and you should use the carbs allowed for high fiber vegetables and maybe nuts. Most people eat fucking 30 strips of bacon exceeding their daily caloric intake by like 2500 cals

I'm sorry pal but you're just dead wrong

Everyone else disagrees with you. If you're so sure of yourself, why don't you tell us why you need to consume 900 calories of fat per day?

You are right but you're looking at it wrong. About 60-75% of your diet should come from fats, 25-30% from protein and 5-10% carbs. And to stay in keto you shouldn't eat more than 20 carbs a day.

If we go by this guys chart 20 carbs x 4 calories/carb = 80 calories
100 protein x 4 calories/protein = 400 calories
140 fat x 9 calories/fat = 1260 calories

This is only 1740 calories which is a deficit for most people. As you lose weight you have to keep adjusting this so that you're always at a slight deficit. You can eat more protein and a bit less fat but ultimately you still want 60%+ to be fat.

HOT TIP - use EC stack first couple of weeks.

Fellow type one here. Are you on a pump? Did you find yourself having to lower your basal?

Increased satiety, decreased appetite due to slower digestion of dietary fat. In ketosis the body uses fat for energy - not only fat stored in the body but also fat you consume - instead of carbohydrates/glucose.

The results don't lie, faggot. I've lost 80 lbs eating this eay and so have countless others. The pictures I posted also do not represent the entirety of my diet. They were admittedly cherry picked to refute another user's claim that you can't eat anything tasty.

Eating low carb-high fat does seem counter-intuative to weight loss, but it's been around a long time and has proven results

>In ketosis the body uses fat for energy - not only fat stored in the body but also fat you consume - instead of carbohydrates/glucose.
and guess what happens when you weigh 300 lbs and consume 2000 calories of fat instead of 1000 calories of fat instead of 300 calories of protein and a higher deficit? you lose weight slower. everyone on leddit weighs 200 lbs after months of keto because they refuse to control the amount of fat they consume.

no one is telling you that keto doesn't work, you just don't understand proper keto. you eat nearly zero carb, slightly higher fat, and moderate protein. you don't eat an entire package of bacon.

I think you're projecting here because nobody ever said anything about eating a whole pack of bacon. I certainly didn't.

>you lose weight slower
I also never mentioned the rate at which you lose weight. I only said it has been proven to help people lose weight.

>you eat nearly zero carb, slightly higher fat, and moderate protein
Yeah so pretty much exactly what's shown in the chart I posted, and every other keto chart or definition of keto macros

I actually agree

Oh, Christ -- this shit again.

I did Keto in 2012 and lost about 80lbs. I was extremely strict with my diet, and it worked wonders. I started trying to bulk a bit, especially upper body -- and started to let the 20gram carb macro go out the window.

Well, that was the end of that and I've gained it all back again.

I honestly don't think you can enjoy life without the texture of carbs, at least I couldn't.

Don't listen to the other anons, I've done keto. The weight melts off.

Literally zero metabolic advantage to keto

Is keto cheaper than just a standard carb based diet at a 500-1000 deficit? I understand that it varies with each person's macros but I was thinking as more of a generalization.

Also is all of your protein needing to be grass fed/organic even necessary? I understand trying to find quality products but it's not like you'd be eating hotdogs and only lunch meat.

I've started keto but I need ideas, I'm doing a simple meal plan for a few weeks so I can get into it

As of now I eat a cheese omelette for breakfast with some greens and some kind of meat and greens for dinner. What should I eat for lunch?

usually I eat an avocado but that's kind of expensive, I need some ideas. Maybe some kind of fatty salad?

pls help

That may be but the increased satiety is enough for it to help a lot of people lose weight. It's not for everyone, but if it helps some then I'm fine with it. Obesity is an epidemic

>keto means i can eat all the fat i can want and ignore calorie deficits, my fat storages, and protein

It's generally more expensive to eat keto. Works best if you enjoy shopping, cooking, and experimenting in the kitchen.

It's not essential for all protein to be organic/grass fed, but obviously preferable

not so after a week or so, you adapt to it and regret going back to carbs 15 minutes afterwards if you slip

his eyes are so close together he probably only needs 1 goggle

No, your fucking anorexic at that weight.

What happens if you drink sips on keto?

there were jews coming from auschwitz weighing more than you.

When you hit your goal weight you switch to CKD, plan you carb up/cheats and keep an eye on your weight, pretty fucking simple.

At that height, 135 is underweight, 185 is overweight. He's pretty well in the middle.

The only way BMI works on tall people is if they have very little muscle.

youtu.be/MzHLAqyO7PQ

keto is dum. It's just dressing up plain calorie restriction in a bunch of rituals.

You reach a level of keto most people only dream about

>4g of carbs per can
Keto and sips go together like peas and carrots

To be fair, the user is pretty skelly at that height. He may not be Auschwitz but he is as he describes himself the strictest definition of "lean"

I don't know, I really need to see how much I spend on groceries versus how long they last me right now. This is what's frustrating about food and nutrition and fitness in general.

I go to one website and people go on about how they save so much money on keto (granted there are the people that spend insane amounts of money as well) but then I can go on another website and someone tells me that it s generally more expensive.

Guess I should stop being a faggot and figure things out for myself.

The average person isn't very fit.

The thing that bothers me is how high will your cholesterol will be on this type of diet.

t. 230lb faggot that want to drop to sub 200.

Yes, I can see how much the cost of keto groceries could vary from person to person. Depends mostly what you like to eat, I guess

Most people have better cholesterol and triglyceride levels on keto than the standard diet.

Not exactly, while the basis of weight loss is still CICO, keto generally keeps people satiated for longer and works much better in people who have metabolic disease and insulin sensitivity

I saw the study that did that and it was only for 24 weeks. Is there no studies on this for long term and possibly a lifestyle to maintain? I will probably end up using this to loose weight and switching to like paleo or something.

Yeah, long term controlled studies don't exist, however (and I realize that anecdotal evidence is nearly crap) there have been quite a few people who have gone over a decade on LCHF with good blood profiles

so get ripped and then go keto?

No, Lantus. Yes, I had to reduce the dosage by 33%. 5.5 A1c. Approximately 4 units humalog daily for corrections + bolus. Lately I've been playing around with different types of sugars to correct hypos. Far and away, HFCS fucks up my insulin sensitivity. Even without breaking ketosis, it hops up my basal requirement by 15% for 3 days after consuming it. It's poison.

I maintain my sub-20 BMI by carbing up all day every day.

Ah, I was on Lantus before getting a pump. I hate that stuff, burns like acid going in.

I've done keto and had great results with my blood sugars, but I find myself getting very hungry with occasional lows. I think lowering my basal (which is constant, tiny amount of novarapid delivered by the pump) might help correct it.

What kind of meals are you prepping? Where do you eat out, if you do? Do you not find yourself with intense carb cravings on account of the spikes caused by the basal?

I do feel hunger when I get lows, but most days of the week I have one mild low of 50-60 mg/dL at the 8-12 hour mark. I have never been able to eat zero carbs on Lantus successfully, since at a certain dosage I couldn't get 24 hour coverage. Tried MDD for a while, but it wasn't working as well as just one, based on the averages. That's ok though; based on the ketone strips, I was still in dietary ketosis despite having to correct lows. I think I like raisins for this best now (fruit, in general seems good, but because sugar content from each piece of fresh fruit to the next is hypothetical it's hard to be really accurate).

I like to cook chicken, fish, pork dishes. Also like green leafy vegetables, (high fat) dairy, egg dishes, nuts, avocados, etc. Probably only eat out 10 times a year for events and family shit, but it's really not hard to find one or two things on the menu that'll work for me without having to make substitutions. Shit tier restaurants that only serve battered, fried food would be hard. Luckily, those aren't the kind my family does birthdays at. People thinking keto is expensive is silly.

My groceries cost about $50 a week, but only because I'm a coffee junkie. If you know how to cook and shop, you'll easily pay $200 a month or less.

Also, how can you stand having the thing attached to you all the time? That would drive me nuts, especially during naked time. I'm sad that the tech hasn't come further along.

It definitely works, but I've had multiple people tell me it puts a strain on your kidneys. Anyone care to comment?

>keto is only for losing weight

If you're prone to kidney stones, keto diet is shown to increase the likelihood of the development of stones.

>tfw lost 30 kg and went from fat fuck to actually attractive
Keto is real

here, also am keto and general nutrition expert. Ask me anything if you have questions about dieting in general and ketogenic low-carb diets in general.

Just eat egg salad and fistfuls of spinach u bitch ass niggas its not hard

I heard that despite keto allowing you to drop weight, the excess saturated changes you blood lipids in a dangerous way, that puts you at a higher risk of heart disease.

Also keto and hair loss, is their a connection?

Been on Keto for a few months now. Only thing I miss is potatoes.

Main dishes -
Duck confit
Chicken parm (breaded with pork rinds blended with shaved parmesan)
Sous vide 5-spice pork belly

Side dishes -
Asapragus sauteed in butter, garlic, and anchovies topped with a poached egg & shaved parmesan.
Caprese salad
Broccoli w/ cheese sauce

Sweets -
Heavy cream vanilla bean panna cotta sweetened with liquid splenda topped with blackberries.
Coconut macaroons sweetened with swerve

I think your bullshit filter might be broken. Why would you think any of that shit was remotely true.

Also, given that your bullshit filter seems to be broken, can you send me your contact info? I'll make you a great deal on some oceanfront real estate in Arizona! You'll make millions!

>the excess saturated changes you blood lipids in a dangerous way, that puts you at a higher risk of heart disease.
This is actually false. This comes from a widespread belief that cardiovascular diseases are linked to saturated fat consumption (also the anti-cholesterol craze).
The fact is, there are tribes in Africa and Alaska who live 100% off saturated fat and cardiovascular diseases are caused by sedentarity and carbs. Cholesterol is actually something our body synthesizes.

>Also keto and hair loss, is their a connection?
I don't know. I already started losing my hair before going on a diet.

You know what else puts you at risk for heart disease? Being fat.

Personally I miss spaghetti, I've barely used potatoes in my cooking even before going on keto a while ago.

I'll probably go for that along with some meat sauce whenever I decide to have a cheat meal, but that's probably another week or two.

You need some fats in your diet, or else you'll feel like shit, but bacon isn't the only one out there.

You need protein because you want to maintain the right mass while you burn the fat.

You need greens because you just fucking need them, ok?, in any fucking diet.

You need to avoid all artificial sweeteners. Fuck stevia if it's not liquid form. Just get used to no sweet.

Do not try and find substitutes that are low carb, do not consume small amounts of starchy or sugary foods trying to make sure you don't go over the count. This fucks your discipline. Your discipline is a rock that is eroded by temptation. The best way to combat it is to eliminate it, not maintaining desire through substitutes. After a while you will be unfazed by bread and it's smell. It's your will that will make this happen, remove everything tempting from the and you will still be offered carbs by friends or the market. Go to most stores and it's mostly junk, specifically empty carbs that are cheap to produce and no use to you.

I'm 40lbs less now. Still have to take off at least that once more. You can do it too.

that shit is covered in sugary slime

sorry, but no. i was 260 and at least 35% bf before starting keto. i followed the diet as prescribed by "authorities" on the subject and reduced my calorie intake to about 500 kcals less than needed for maintenance in order to lose weight. it definitely worked with eating fats and i confirmed it daily with ketostix. so, i'm not sure if the people you're thinking of simply weren't properly measuring their food or what, but it's incorrect to say that you have to avoid eating fats in order to reach keto. now, could i lose fat quicker by doing as you've stated and only ingesting protein and fiber? sure, maybe, i don't know but it makes sense. however, i'd rather feel satiated by eating fats and burn weight at a reasonable and healthy rate than try to crank it up to 11 and wind up burning out the same way i've done in the past on other diets. i'm 192 now and have about 30 more pounds to go so i won't risk my progress by testing it, but i'd like to read any studies on the matter. thanks, bud

First 3 months of keto:
>making fathead pizza
>making taco shells from fried cheese
>making fresh pasta from soybean flour and eggs
>making seed crackers to eat with chili

After 3 months of keto:
>fuck it just eat everything with sauteed cabbage

>You'll get keto flu, it feels like you are getting sick and will be weakly for 4-5 days,

You can get around this or at least mitigate the effects somewhat with electrolytes - sodium, magnesium, potassium.

Pickles, avocados, almonds, dark leafy greens.

>dude i got an idea
>let's create a shitty meme diet where we boost the consumption of animal products at retarded heights even though we know this isn't good at all
>let's call it keto

saged

>50-80g carbs a day
Last time I did it I cut down to 20g. That might have been overkill...

I do 30-50 grams per day personally, while it limits what I can eat it's not too overtly restrictive.

Been doing IF and Keto. Bretty gud energy. My hikes are slower but endurance is definitely up.