FASTING

Anyone here done fasting before?
How long was it?

Day 26 currently
14 days to go
AMA

I do it every evening. I break each fast the next morning.

Why 40 days?

Biblical number, less arbitrary than a calendar month.

What is your blood pressure level?

I'm planning on starting a water fast next week. Gona try and hit 5 days maybe 6 depending on how unbearable it is,

Welcoming any advice from anyone who's done it

I fast 4-8 hours every night, AMA

No idea, I didn't get any blood tests or take any special measures, I just stopped eating. I don't visit the doctor or have any equipment to check.

3 days is fine, it gets a bit harder than that. Progressively harder I'd say.

Drink a lot of water if you are able to but your body will drop a lot of weight quickly because of the lack of salt in your body, you won't be able to hold on to it as much and you won't feel as thirsty the more you fast.

I don't think 6 days will be long enough to notice too much of a difference in tastes of water but if you have dirty water full of chemicals it may smell like poison to you so you might want to drink fruit juice instead to re-hydrate.

Fasting is interesting because your sense of smell and taste get much stronger. You'll probably really enjoy your breakfast after 6 days, make sure to eat something delicious and healthy like fruit and maybe some fish / veg.

Did you already buy your casket and prepay the funeral or are you just going to stick it to your next of kin?

I've used up probably less than 50% of my body fat, I have plenty of fuel left. The water I drink has minerals in it including sodium, calcium and potassium.

I don't feel my heart pounding in my chest like you might after eating a salty meal like fast food, so my blood pressure can't be too high. It feels just like normal ketosis.

I usually do a 10-day fast once a month; the last ten days of the month. Day 4 right now. They say the first few days are the worst for food cravings. I don't agree. Though, I don't have lots of people offering me food and I'm not around food that is cooking. I've been hungry only 2 times since I started. I don't get any adverse symptoms from it either. I drink water and take a multivitamin every 12 hours.

The neat thing is that I don't get tired when doing work while fasting. When I'm not fasting I can get tired pretty quickly. I get the same results when going off all forms of added sugar and sweeteners. Of course, I lose about 0.5-1lbs of fat weight a day (drink lots of water to prevent false readings on that.) I save a lot on toilet paper and food costs doing this and feel generally healthier.

Everything is anecdotal with diet and diet-related health. Some people do poorly and for some people is literally saved their life or got their life back on track. It can really change how you look at food in general too.

The longest fast I ever did was for 1 month. I feel there's no need to do that ever again and I don't recommend it. With a 10-day fast every month, that's 120 days (1/3rd) out of a year. Just remember to go back to food slowly. Don't hog out or you can harm yourself. Pure fresh-squeezed juice for the first day and not that much.

You need a multivitamin. There's other minerals you must have. Also, you gotta watch out for elevator affect and weakening of the heart. You blood pressure will keep dropping the longer you go.

enjoy being a skinnyfat dyel

It gets harder after 3 days? I've read the first 3 days are the worst. I plan on drinking plenty of water as its the only thing that'll be filling me.

Thankfully the water in my area is great and very drinkable, in fact I never buy it bottled. I'm bracing myself for the sudden water weight loss, I believe it's after day 3 that fat burning starts to happen?

You use up all the "sugar" stores within a few hours then it starts on protein stores then moves to fat stores then sort of goes between protein and fat on a cycle. By protein, I mean muscle. That includes the muscles in your heart. It will slowly start to lose muscle mass. The number one cause of extended fast death is from heart failure. You can avoid that by using a ketogenic diet, if you are wanting to simply lose weight.

A month continuous fasting seems excessive yes, I think 10 days seems like the optimum amount. 5-6 should be fine as a beginner. Still though, 10 days a month so you're fasting a third of your life currently? Multivitamins is a good shout, I'll stock up before I start.

pointless.
fasting probably hurts the immune system, which can lead to cancer.
a sensible diet is all that is necessary to ward of metabolic disorders.

Yeah, also make sure you read up on, "refeeding syndrome" and how to avoid it.

Fasting is not recommended for most sick people unless directed to do so by a doctor. You are correct in thinking that it impairs the immune system. Read up on the subject, but try to avoid soccer mom blogs.

If im planning on doing a ketosis meal plan that follows a 5 day eating schedule with two days that are not on it, how fucked will I be if I spend those two days fasting.

Will it take me out of keto completely as well?

Most of that time should be in protein/fat mode already due to the diet switching you over ahead of time. It is the lack of carbs that does it.

The only think that takes you out of keto is consuming carbs. And that's only temporary while the carbs are in your system.

Christ, man. Don't you even understand how the diet you want to be on works? Why would you make major changes to your lifestyle when you don't even understand them.

So did the fasting/water fasting meme come from here to Veeky Forums or vice versa?

I never ever go to Veeky Forums so I only know about 2 of their memes. "Oats and squats" meme or whatever that is that gets posted on Veeky Forums from time to time. I can't imagine them doing fasting since it would wreck their, "Gainz".

Most people are really into fads of all sorts regardless of what the underlying principle of the fad is. This includes diets to a high order. Like the juice diet for instance.

I understand how it works overall but I didn't know if it would fuck me up if I stopped taking in fats and proteins all together as well for two days. Hence why I came here for am answer.

I'm doing it because it'll help save money on groceries, so I guess being frugal is a fad. Really activated my almonds there user.

Well, technically you aren't saving money because you'll be using your fat reserves to make up for the lack of food. That fat will return when you restart your diet, unless you alter your diet to simply maintain your weight. The best way to same money on food is to eat very little meat and fat, the exact opposite of a ketogenic diet. That means vegetarianism for the most part with only a little bit of meat once a week. I should know, I spend at most, $25/month on food and that's mostly high end spices and similar things.

Sounds like it would screw up your metabolism hard.

There are alot of memes around fasting, but it's great and our body actually needs it, it is unnatural to eat 3 times a day 7 days a week.

It is true that your body will first eat muscle, but then almost only fat, because your body isn't as retarded as your mind. I lost about 8 kilos in 7 days, after 3 days the food craving disappears, and after 5 days you feel fresh, clear minded, full of motivation and overall reborn, it's really great, but really hard too. I do it mostly as an act of self discipline to harden my will.

The fasting meme has taken Veeky Forums by storm. People saying they use it to cut and stuff

no one else is going to say it?
fine, whatever.
this is a board about food and cooking, not dieting and NOT FUCKING EATING FOOD, you fucking faggot

Food and cooking are related to nutrition and Veeky Forums is a FAR better place to discuss that than Veeky Forums

>is autistically screeching at a thread that is legitimately related to cooking and nutrition
>even though it's one thread among a sea of fast food based ones

You are what's wrong with this board user.

Water belongs on Veeky Forums, honey.

Can you clarify? You do water fasting or what kind of fasting exactly?

I've fasted for a couple of days (3 at most) on multiple occasions. Mostly when I was still wrestling so I could make weight.