/slav/ cookalong: lard edition

I got absolutely shitfaced yesterday so today I feel like eating some proper fat. So I'll be making broth, lard spread and maybe something else while I'm at it, we'll see. I planned on also making cucumbers in brine but the shop ran out of pickling herb sets.

This thread probably won't be as eventful as the last one but I'm still making it and you can't stop me. Also feel free to join if you're making something vaguely slav or have questions etc.

But first: breakfast. I'll make eggs with chanterelles.
I'll give you guys a tip for quickly cleaning these little fuckers: put in pot or bowl, add a large amount of salt (about a teaspoon is ok for amount of mushrooms pictured; don't worry, they won't get salty) and pour in boiling hot water. Stir, then wait about 30-60 seconds and fish them out with a strainer spoon. Repeat if needed. This way all the dirt automagically comes away and the mushrooms won't get soggy like when cleaning with running water.

This looks delightful user

I sure am interested in this thread

Scrambled eggs with chanterelles and onion, a piece of rye bread fresh from the bakery with butter thicc as fucc, some kefir for the hangover and a coffee for later. This is the ultimate summer breakfast.
But let's get back on track with the cooking.

>MmmMmMMmMmuuUUUuhhhHh subhuman maymay
sure smells like /pol/ in here

>MmmMmMMmMmuuUUUuhhhHh subhuman maymay , u r subhiman and iem toetaleeh huwhite
sure smells like /pol/ in here

best to not reply to them, they'll shit up the place unless you ignore.

Reported for shitposting.
Enjoy your ban.
Idiot.

Obviously broth isn't a slav invention but here in Poland we hold it it high esteem. Proper Polish broth often utilizes a whole chicken, but as I absolutely hate the leftover broth meat I never do this. So anyway, one school of thought says you should use three kinds of meat: chicken, turkey or duck and beef. But just chicken is fine too. Here I have 1 chicken carcass with skin, 1 large chicken quarter with skin, 1 turkey neck and around 400g of beef... rib? I don't know, it's a piece of fatty otherwise useless beef with bone. Don't add pork, but you can throw in chicken stomachs or hearts. More meat is always better.

Oткyдa вы, бpaтaн? я пpигoтoвил мнoгo pyccкых блюдь в yнивepcитeтe, нo я зaбыл кaк гoтoвит pyccкиe блюды.

Sorry if the grammar's shit mate, been far too long since I've had to slav.

Fuck, my bad Pole-bro. Didn't mean to conflate you with the Gopnicks.

Vegetables I used: 3 small carrots, 1 parsley (root), 1 small celery (root), celery greens, the green part of a leek, a bunch of fresh lovage. Lovage is absolutely essential for this. Dried can be used if fresh is not available.

Spices: 1 tablespoon of salt, 4-5 bay leaves, 5 allspice berries (whole), 5 black peppercorns (whole). Add 3 litres of water and bring to a boil. Skim the scum that forms on the surface, then lower the heat and let the soup simmer for 2 hours at least. We'll be doing a trick with the onion later.

looks really good, but that's a lot of butter.

I like my arteries clogged.

The soup is still simmering, so let's do stuff in the meantime. Sharpen your knife, open your window, close the kitchen door and turn on the hood because we're making us some lard.

Step 1. Obtain a nice slab of fig fat, cut it into 0,8-1 cm cubes.

Good thread slav dude.

Slavs are subhuman and should be gassed. Fuck you tattletale faggot.

>tfw chanterelle season in Poland
>tfw stuffing my face with them all the time
>chanterelle pancakes, chanterelle pasta, fried chanterelles
I hope they're as nutritious as they are tasty

Slavs are superior to your fat American ass in every way

I think they have little to no nutritional value, like any other mushroom really. Too bad.

I'll be adding some bacon and sausage to the lard spread but this is not necessary. You can make it just with the cracklings from the fat.

kEK.

Melt the fat in a large pan over low/medium heat. Toss the cubes around every now and then. Some people say that strirring the fat makes the the cracklings soggy but I don't know about that. Be careful, handling a pan or pot of boiling animal fat is dangerous business.

we gon nuke you boi

When the fat is mostly melted and cracklings are starting to get golden in colour you can add the bacon.OBSERVE CAUTION as the lard may start to foam and behave in unexpected ways.

Can't recommend throwing some on pizza enough, shit's delicious
Also reminds me that I have yet to drag my lazy ass out there and picked some.
There should be horns of plenty and yellowfoots around soon as well

>I think they have little to no nutritional value, like any other mushroom really. Too bad.
Eh, 25% of their weight is protein which is better than in most veggies, though not as much as beans and legumes, decent dose of vitamins, especially vitamin D and healthy amount of potassium and selenium
Plus they are delicious as fuck

Damn I love mushroom picking. Too bad I live in the city with no car so I don't get to do it very often.

I didn't take a pic but I chopped an onion earlier. I put it in the lard along with the sausage, also added two cloves of garlic, salt, pepper and a generous amount of marjoram. Now I'm gonna let it cool a little and then put into containers. I also somehow managed to get a burn on my forehead.

I meant to add this

Lard... (sala) I salt it with rock salt add fine chopped dill. Well chilled even half frozen and sliced like cheese.
Serve with dark rye. I like thin slices of onion, hard boiled egg with paprika. Hard sausage, cheese and the required fresh cucumber slices all spread out on a platter.
Best hangover appetizers!
Your on the right with the soup!

Pour the lard in jars or bowls and let it set.
I'm getting hungry. Let's get back to the soup.

Slavs are subhumans who deserve to be gassed.

I would absolutely devour this right now.

Rosół(chicken broth) is usually served with thin short egg noodles, but I don't have any and am too lazy to make them, so instead I'll make the zero-effort "kluski kładzione" (..."laid dumplings"? idk). There are also even simpler "kluski lane" ("poured dumplings") but I don't like them too much. Ingredients: 1 egg, 3/4 glass flour, salt, 3 tablespooons water. Beat the egg with salt and water, gradually add flour and mix it. The dough should be very thick but still feel sticky.

Boil some slightly salter water. To make the dumplings, dip a spoon in the boiling water, then shred a small piece of the dough and put it in the water, repeat. About 3 minutes after they start to float, fish them out with a strainer spoon.

Left: finished product. Right: dumplings boiling.

Now it's time for the onion. Burn it. You can do it on a pan or directly on the stovetop if you're not using induction, personally I like the gas burner. And leave the skin on.

Nicely charred. Put it in the soup and continue simmering for about 30-40 minutes.

The soup is more or less ready. I discard everything except for the carrots, chicken and turkey neck. Then I put the broth through a sieve.

Aaaaand served, with dumplings, chopped parsley leaves and some carrot (from the broth).

u don't eat the veggies especially celery root, slav bro, please think of the hungry children in Africa

C'mon, they're boiled to death by now, all mushy and disgusting.

The lard spread hasn't fully solidified yet but I wanted a try. Pleased to report it tastes great.

Looks very... green. I'm sure the taste is adequate.

What's wrong with adding pork to the broth?

Yea I add a lot of parsley to everyting.

Well there's nothing "wrong", there's just no pork in Polish sunday broth. The taste is different and the soup may turn cloudy. I use pork bones or ribs in stock for other soups but not in broth.

>smalec
maybe Veeky Forums isnt that bad

Hey OP this was a pretty good thread. It's interesting to see how other cultures eat. Pictures and descriptions were well done and the broth looks very savory.

Well done

If you make broth you usually don't eat the things you make with it. They're used for flavour.

well, they taste great just cut them in smaller pieces or don't idgaf

>he refrigerates his butter
and I thought only americans were this stupid

I like me a nice cold slice of butter on a sandwich. I also only use butter about once a week so it would be unwise to keep it in the open all the time.

Isn't that quite a lot of meat 2 b throwing away?

I only throw out the beef as it's completely unedible at this point. The turkey neck is actually kinda good and the chicken is horribly dry and bland but I usually try to eat it.